This "cod hate" is getting out of hand.

MacJack

Jun 23, 2011
Seriously i can browse the internet without seeing so many people spam about it everyhwere even in non cod related videos/articles and if you say something negative about the game they are like "go play cod" like its some knida insult when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame. I guess its the same as halo back then when it was bashed.

But what pisses me off is how BIASED those haters are

They say that MW3 looks rehashed and same as last year.

Well, in E3 i saw uncharted 3,assasin's creed revelations and spiderman edge of time. If no one told me i would say i was looking at their predessecors, yet only cod is bashed.

In retrospective, killzone 3 and dead space 2 and fallout new vegas were exactly like their predecessors but did the fans complain? Nope.

Infact if you go take a look in game that tried to change, you will see they piss of the fans and failed like prince of persia in 2008, fans were pissed so they made a warrior within clone after that.

Hell if you take a look a the past you will see many similat situations, eg doom 1 and 2 were practicly the same with one new weapon and a bunch of monsters, when they made doom 3, everyone was pissed it changed. Same thing with blood 2 or the tomb raider series, all tomb raider games till angel of darkness were the same, after that they change the game and took their chances and the fans hated id and went back to the last 5 "Recycled" tomb raider games.

Hell even stalker series are recycled, suprisingly people only bash cod about it like all those examples i pointed out do not exist.

Another thing will be is that they say there are too many cod games and it has gone stale over the year wih no changes whhile praising bf3 which comes from a franchise who is doing the same formula for farrr longer with very few additions. Eg: BF3 is basicly bf2 with better grpaphics and destruction(since they bringing back the airplanes)

Imo this cod hate is getting out of hand and its way too biased.

Dramerc

Feb 14, 2011
The cod hate is because most COD fans think they know everything about guns yet they know jack about them so they look like fools and also its not all based on change i refused to play COD after World at War because i hate playing in the modern time as the only enemies your allowed are either the Russians (who would never invade the USA) or Terrorists or PMCs so i can see where the hate comes from.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
The difference between the CoD series and the other ones you've listed here is that the other games aren't being released on a yearly basis (Assassin's Creed the exception here). Furthermore, these other games always come with engine improvements, gameplay enhancements, story development, etc far beyond what CoD does every year. Aside from making new multiplayer maps and weak 4 hour campaigns, not much goes into CoD's annual releases. There are minor additions such as the odd new weapon or killstreak reward, but the fatigue from what is essentially a re-skinned game with different art assets coming out every year is definitely souring most gamers' view of the series.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
But the gaming world needs something to hate. Heck, all worlds need something to hate.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
its because CoD as been around for AGES! and its been done TO DEATH and nothing is being done to try and revamp it or play out in different and interesting ways.

"In retrospective, killzone 3 and dead space 2 and fallout new vegas were exactly like their predecessors but did the fans complain? Nope."

actually ALOT of fans got annoyed that there was nothing new brought to the table.

"Infact if you go take a look in game that tried to change, you will see they piss of the fans and failed like prince of persia in 2008, fans were pissed so they made a warrior within clone after that."

yes cause they werent done very well and it felt very poorly made...

"Hell if you take a look a the past you will see many similat situations, eg doom 1 and 2 were practicly the same with one new weapon and a bunch of monsters, when they made doom 3, everyone was pissed it changed."

cause that was what Doom was,Doom 2 was expanded upon by bringing higher difficulty some new monsters and some new toys to play with. Doom 3 was a failure cause it was trying too hard to be scary and they focused on "scary" and cheap tricks that got boring and soon became too easy to spot to the point you say "oh look a long corridor with nothing at the end of it,but something will crawl out of a grate somewhere and sneak up behind me... *walks backwards down corridor sees materializing monster...shoots it,its dead*

"Same thing with blood 2 or the tomb raider series, all tomb raider games till angel of darkness were the same, after that they change the game and took their chances and the fans hated id and went back to the last 5 "Recycled" tomb raider games."

i cant comment on tomb raider since i only played 1 of them for the PC and that was when she was just blocks and pixels with horrible controls xD

"Hell even stalker series are recycled, suprisingly people only bash cod about it like all those examples i pointed out do not exist."

there are only 2 stalker games i believe,so not much will change yes. but once again you went somewhere NEW and wasnt doing the same objective as last time,plus you got new toys to play with (how you do that with a prequel i dont know xD) and i just acknowledged that some of those problems exist but your unfairly comparing them.

"Another thing will be is that they say there are too many cod games and it has gone stale over the year wih no changes whhile praising bf3 which comes from a franchise who is doing the same formula for farrr longer with very few additions. Eg: BF3 is basicly bf2 with better grpaphics and destruction(since they bringing back the airplanes)

Imo this cod hate is getting out of hand and its way too biased."

Battlefield is what it is,a online arena team type army game.you cant change too much or you'll alienate your audience too much.this is in the same boat as MMO's if you change too much your gonna lose alot of your ONLINE fanbase. and Battlefield has what,4-5 games? and 3 of them and MUCH different from each other? and lets not forget that their not releasing a new battlefield EVERY 6-8 MONTHS! (or so)

so its not really biased at all,it sounds more like your being a fanboy over this game and you cant hold it in anymore...

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
MacJack said:
Imo this cod hate is getting out of hand
So is your grammar. Seriously, you're not helping your case here.

Also, I see a major flaw in your argument here: Even if everything you say about the games you listed are true, how does that make CoD any better? Even if Assassin's Creed, Uncharted 3, Spiderman were also franchises that rehashes the same game (which they're fucking not), what does that have to do with CoD? The fact still stands that they're not very good.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
and just when everyone was starting to forget about it and we'd entered the quiet between the release of BO and MW3 (after which it will become the regular inferno again, called it.) you had to bring it up again. nice going.
also, 'it's a successful franchise therefore the games are good' is an atrocious fail in logic.
look at movies and music. is the shallow crap that tops the charts there good? no, it just gets bought a lot. quality and sales seem to have very little relation.

MacJack

Jun 23, 2011
Dramerc said:
The cod hate is because most COD fans think they know everything about guns yet they know jack about them so they look like fools and also its not all based on change i refused to play COD after World at War because i hate playing in the modern time as the only enemies your allowed are either the Russians (who would never invade the USA) or Terrorists or PMCs so i can see where the hate comes from.
Let me say that that was pretty, well nothing like what i was reffering too. In my experiance i doubt i have seen more than 5-6 people talking about guns on cod, cant say bf is any better, they both have altered guns alot as most games have. In any case waw was terrible and the reason you dont play the newer cods is completly unrelated as to "where the hate comes from"

I dont think anyone bases his cod like/dislike on fighting russians, if that was the case why do people even play bc2 since it pretty much has the same russian enemies?

Mr. Mike said:
The difference between the CoD series and the other ones you've listed here is that the other games aren't being released on a yearly basis (Assassin's Creed the exception here). Furthermore, these other games always come with engine improvements, gameplay enhancements, story development, etc far beyond what CoD does every year. Aside from making new multiplayer maps and weak 4 hour campaigns, not much goes into CoD's annual releases. There are minor additions such as the odd new weapon or killstreak reward, but the fatigue from what is essentially a re-skinned game with different art assets coming out every year is definitely souring most gamers' view of the series.
Honestly? the games i described here fit to what you said just fine, uncharted and killzone 3 have pretty small improvments and new stuff and they are practicly reskined and rehashed as the stalker and tomb raider series are. Pretty minor additions if you think about it. They added a bunch of new guns on kz3 and dead space 2 and stalker and called them sequels. I guess uncharted has the benefit of the new story that is kinda biased since it covers the rest because uncharted is all about story but apart from that despite being my farvorite franchise this gen, its pretty much a reskinned version of the first with minor changes and improvements.

As for cod being for 4 hours? Well their competitors moh and homefront were 3 hours with a far weaker campaign.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I don't think people are hating on COD per se. But rather the people who play it - especially those who are immature and spend their time screaming obscenities into their headsets whenever they get killed.

I think the COD franchise is getting pretty stale and all of it's games are nothing more than a re-hashing. But unfortunately, it's an annual re-hashing. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.

But with the advances in technology, I expect to see slightly better graphics each time or a better campaign mode or even DLC which should have been on the disc to start with to go along with it's slowly increasing price tag.

COD is poster boy, a yardstick or a mirror of the gaming industry. People aren't liking what they see. They see an overpriced flash-in-the-pan which was made in some Activision sponsored sweat-shop which not only isn't a particularly good game, but it's also riddled with cheats and glitchers.

While this could be said for any game which a hater doesn't like - COD will get the brunt of it because it's considered cool to hate that which is en vogue. Hate COD for being overpriced and bad value for money - but don't hate it because of who plays it. It's just pretentious.

Stefan Strelnieks

Jun 29, 2011
CoD gets a lot of hate due to the fact that it's basically the same game over and over for multi-player to the degree you would expect a free content patch to be or $10 DLC, and the single player is easy to the point of being content tourism even on the hardest difficulty setting.

Another major reason for the CoD hate you see is not due to the game but the players. People who are dumb enough to buy new CoD and Madden games every time they come out are a blight on the gaming industry for real gamers. Because selling the same game over and over every year is more profitable and these games show that it works to do so more and more developers move to making sequels rather than unique games. It's almost to the point that games made by western developers are not even worth looking at any more.

In short.
People hate the game that's been the same since CoD 4.
People hate the people who support these games and continue the downward spiral into content tourism.

xxmyhero64xx

May 25, 2011
MY problem with COD is that I'm just tired of it. I don't want to see it for a while. I'm not arguing with you that it's a successful franchise. I am however completely fatigued and I think some people are as well.

Ruiner87

Jul 23, 2008
I'd hardly say it's getting out of hand. The people that hate Call of Duty are mostly correct. It's the same recycled crap every single year, with one or two new features added in. Add to that, the fact that the series has one of the worst communities in the history of online gaming, and you've got a perfect recipe for something that people will bash day in and day out. Nevermind the fact that it popularized many of the gameplay features (regenerating health, continuation of the two-weapon system) that die-hard shooter fans hate.

These aspects don't stop me from enjoying the Call of Duty series, however. The 30 days of playtime that I have spread out across Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops can attest to that.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Pssh! Go play COD OP!

:p

For reals though?
COD gets hate because it's screwing the game industry. The developers are the most greedy bunch of vampires out there, they produce a clone of a game EVERY year and charge more than any other game on the market for it. Because they know millions of idiots will pay for it.

The reason we as gamers hate COD is because it has infected our gaming world with legions of mindless drones that claim to be gamers themselves just because they play Call of Duty. It tarnishes our already pretty bad reputation, and true gamers get tons of flak from the majority of those COD players for not playing the same useless game as them.

OP, you listed a bunch of games that you say are just rehashes of their predecessors, and the gaming community does agree. But at least the people that made those other games brought a hell of a lot more to the table than just a different 3-hour-long-hard-on-for-the-military. Sorry, "campaign" as they like to call it.

MacJack

Jun 23, 2011
Rpground said:
1)its because CoD as been around for AGES! and its been done TO DEATH and nothing is being done to try and revamp it or play out in different and interesting ways.

2)yes cause they werent done very well and it felt very poorly made...

3)cause that was what Doom was,Doom 2 was expanded upon by bringing higher difficulty some new monsters and some new toys to play with. Doom 3 was a failure cause it was trying too hard to be scary and they focused on "scary" and cheap tricks that got boring and soon became too easy to spot to the point you say "oh look a long corridor with nothing at the end of it,but something will crawl out of a grate somewhere and sneak up behind me... *walks backwards down corridor sees materializing monster...shoots it,its dead*

4)there are only 2 stalker games i believe,so not much will change yes. but once again you went somewhere NEW and wasnt doing the same objective as last time,plus you got new toys to play with (how you do that with a prequel i dont know xD) and i just acknowledged that some of those problems exist but your unfairly comparing them.

5) Battlefield is what it is,a online arena team type army game.you cant change too much or you'll alienate your audience too much.this is in the same boat as MMO's if you change too much your gonna lose alot of your ONLINE fanbase. and Battlefield has what,4-5 games? and 3 of them and MUCH different from each other? and lets not forget that their not releasing a new battlefield EVERY 6-8 MONTHS! (or so)

so its not really biased at all,it sounds more like your being a fanboy over this game and you cant hold it in anymore...

1)5) so has battlefield, yet people still enjoy it and as you said why change the formula? Same with cod. Also Cod does not come out in 6-8 months, back then when battlefield was a pc game, there released exapnsions constantly, saldy things have changed and on consoles you most likely to make a new product to sell rather and expansion. Thats what cod is doing.

2) fair enought but...

3)4)How can you say taht doom 2 and the 3 stalker games "expanded" there was not much new, one new weapon and a bunch of new monsters in doom and in stalker they used the same maps from the first game in clear sky and added a bunch of pistols and a machinegun while in call of pripyat they added ONLY an automatic shotgun and new monsters that were already in the files of the first game but locked and could be unlocked by mods.

I dont see how the thing i pointed do not prove that doom 2 and stalker series are more recycled than cod with fewer new additions. How can you say taht stalker had "new toys to play with" and cod had not? Thats a total unfrair comparison right there since both of them lack the same things.

Dont you think?

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
I played COD once some year ago and I wasn't impressed.
But that didn't made me to hate the game,I just thought it was boring and didn't deserved any more attention so I never complained about it.
But I think I see where people that hate it are coming from.

Most of COD's haters doesn't hate COD games themselves,but the fact that many developers imitate COD and are COD-ifying their games.
While COD itslef may be fun and very enjoyable to some people,some people don't like it.
If COD was only COD,then there would be no problem,but since many developers are ignorant and think that making their games more like COD will make them more money,I can see why some people gather hate against COD.
Because it's a reason that the gameplay of some other series they liked changed.
Normally of course this hate would have to be pointed against the sayed developers,not COD.

MacJack

Jun 23, 2011
Wuggy said:
MacJack said:
Imo this cod hate is getting out of hand
So is your grammar. Seriously, you're not helping your case here.

Also, I see a major flaw in your argument here: Even if everything you say about the games you listed are true, how does that make CoD any better? Even if Assassin's Creed, Uncharted 3, Spiderman were also franchises that rehashes the same game (which they're fucking not), what does that have to do with CoD? The fact still stands that they're not very good.
A major flaw in my argument? How about yours? You admitted that everything i sad about those games is true yet you say they are not rehases and you say that its a "Fact" that cod is not very good.

"FACT"

How as far as i can see cod is as good of a game as any if not more judging by sales and ratings. So no its not a fact and i proved people are biased to hate cod for things that have already been seen from the dawn of time in other games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Those other games aren't the most popular franchise in history.

And no, I'm not playing the "they just hate it because they think it makes them cool to hate a popular thing" card. Because that is a great steaming load of defensive fanboy bullshit.

See, when something is constantly lauded as the best thing ever, those who aren't so keen on it are more likely to raise their voices in opposition, as opposed to just ignoring it. Call of Duty is very much in the spotlight right now. People are going to respond to that and, surprise sur-bloody-prise, some of them are going to respond negatively.

Besides, I really don't see what you have to worry about. Call of Duty is not a hated series. Quite the opposite. I mean, have you seen those sales figures? They're amazing. A huge portion of the gaming populace quite clearly loves themselves some CoD. Even here on the Escapist forums, whenever someone makes a "Do you like CoD" poll, the majority respond with a yes.

Dramerc

Feb 14, 2011
"there are only 2 stalker games i believe,so not much will change yes. but once again you went somewhere NEW and wasnt doing the same objective as last time,plus you got new toys to play with (how you do that with a prequel i dont know xD) and i just acknowledged that some of those problems exist but your unfairly comparing them.
"
3 stalker games Shadow of Chernobyl Clear sky and Call of Pripyat. and that Fanboy thing do you people even watch videos on here? Extra Credits went over Fanboy you really need to watch that ep

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I don't hate it, but it honestly bugs me to see it selling as well as it does. Why? Because even if the series is an effective business model and a decent series of games, it DOESN'T push the envelope in the slightest for our industry...hell even for just the FPS genre.

I guess I'm of the MovieBob opinion where I just don't like seeing the generic make money because it means that the TRULY golden projects get shoved aside. To me, CoD is practically shovelware at this point.