This EVE Online Space Battle Cost $15,000

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tibike77 said:
dududf said:
Anyone know where they're getting the isk price for those plexes? I'm assuming they're going by the Jita average or something.
I suppose they're using very rough approximations of recent prices.
If anything precise would be used "The Forge" averages indeed, since that's where the vast majority is traded, the value would move all over the place on a daily basis.
http://www.eve-metrics.com/market/1108/items/29668
Here you can see the recent (30-day) stats across most EVE regions even if you don't play the game.
All the data is automatically submitted to this 3rd party site by people using a market history cache scrapper program acting as volunteer data collectors... so data is seldom 100% complete and sometimes not very reliable.
But it's a good enough indicator.
Those prices in the forge there suck. Most I ever payed for a Plex was 260m.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
John Funk said:
On the other hand, if we told you that the 300 billion ISK had been worth $15,000, that starts to put it in perspective. That is a lot of money to blow on one single space battle. Yeah, it's certainly pretty (though you'd think there'd be a huge explosive payoff for that much cash), but you have to imagine that some of the players in question might have to reconsider what they're doing with their time - and money.
See the thing is it's easier to make enough cash in Eve to just pay with in-game currency for your play-time than make 15 bucks in real life for unemployed person. They don't loose any real money, nor that much time compared to other people playing videogames. Not to mention thats's 300 billion ISK/15.000$ spread among loads of players.

You could start assigning real money value to WoW raids too. Assuming a death costs you about 10-15g in repairs plus 100g-150g in flasks/potions/etc., and 1000G goes for around 5euro according to quick Google search you can do the math how much a progress raid costs those 25 people, and you still have to pay subscription fee there! :p

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
dududf said:
When was the last time you bought one and how long do you wait for one when you need it ? :)
PLEX prices spiked heavily in the more or less recent past, twice. Long story as to why, in both cases... suffice to say it's mostly driven by player trader speculation rather than anything else.

The less-but-still-somewhat-populated regions (like Aridia, Solitude, Syndicate, etc) can still have every now and then some dirt-cheap PLEX for sale, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one at a moment's notice.
You'd have to either let some orders sit for a while until somebody eventually sells one cheaply, or be the lucky guy that first buys a cheap one put up for sale.
I seriously doubt you could buy more than a handful of them per month at 260 mil or thereabouts per piece nowadays, no matter how hard you tried... but hey, maybe you have some secret you'd like to share :p

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tibike77 said:
dududf said:
When was the last time you bought one and how long do you wait for one when you need it ? :)
PLEX prices spiked heavily in the more or less recent past, twice. Long story as to why, in both cases... suffice to say it's mostly driven by player trader speculation rather than anything else.

The less-but-still-somewhat-populated regions (like Aridia, Solitude, Syndicate, etc) can still have every now and then some dirt-cheap PLEX for sale, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one at a moment's notice.
You'd have to either let some orders sit for a while until somebody eventually sells one cheaply, or be the lucky guy that first buys a cheap one put up for sale.
I seriously doubt you could buy more than a handful of them per month at 260 mil or thereabouts per piece nowadays, no matter how hard you tried... but hey, maybe you have some secret you'd like to share :p
Last plex I bought was in August, so the prices should have changed, but not that much.

There was no trick. I went to jita, I found a sell order for a plex, they're usually pretty damn cheap, last one I bought was 255m or so.

I just went there and bought it. No buy order. Which is why I'm flabbergasted at those prices in forge.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play, I wish I had discovered it a few years ago when I was single....
And it would've helped you stay single.

This game sounds awesome to be the developers or mods for. I'd hate to play it because I'd have so much at stake at all times. But it does make for great social experiments.

Wang Wei

Aug 28, 2010
Wow, I would have been in this op, but it was going to be around midnight and I had to go to college. Nice to know this event is getting spread around, though it's 2 days late lol.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Everything I hear about EVE confirms to me that I should never, EVER play that game. I suspect I might never come up for air.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
dududf said:
Last plex I bought was in August, so the prices should have changed, but not that much.
There was no trick. I went to jita, I found a sell order for a plex, they're usually pretty damn cheap, last one I bought was 255m or so.
I just went there and bought it. No buy order. Which is why I'm flabbergasted at those prices in forge.
[http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2705/plexprices.jpg]
^^^
"The Forge" price evolution in the past year.
Click to open large.

Last time they sold for around 260 mil was in March 2010.
In August 2010 they went for a minimum of 300 mil and started rising heavily at about that time.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
hell plexzes jumped in price like 30 mil over the last week, from 350 mil to now sitting at as of two days ago 380 mil a pop, being fall and as more people come back to the game from summery stuff and the fact that plexes can now be blown up or looted has pushed the prices up, usually fall you see an uptick in all costs as more people reutrn and try to stock up plexes and junk and demand rises.

so yea you can pull a average real life cost from plex values but if your in a good space zone farming officer drops and having moons that give good stuff etc you can blow well past the average isk per hour ratio with one good drop or one good haul.

if your slogging missions in empire or chewing on veldspar in some "safe" system then your looking at maybe 80 million an hour if you got good skills and can speed run missions or have your own personal mining fleet.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i feel perplexed as in that video i had no idea what i was exactly looking at.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Jark212 said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play,
Same here, then I realize that I'm cheap as hell...
Well, if you spend enough time each month (and play "effectilvely") it's free.

The game itself is legally downlaoded along with a 15 day trial i think, and then once you get started, if you can farm enough in-game money (ISK) you can use that to pay for PLEXes (1 month subsciriptions) so basicly, if you make enough in-game money, you don't have to pay real life money to play.

Charley

Apr 12, 2008
I love this, and it makes me miss playing EVE - except I spend half my day with spreadsheets already and I don't have to pay for that privilege.

This is the first I'd heard of the PLEX idea, and in terms of keeping an MMO populated by making it free-to-play if you put sufficient time in, it's a great idea. WAR could've done this by giving you 60 seconds free every time you swore at the clunky mechanics and they could keep their playerbase sufficiently high to lure newbies in.

APB could've done the same if it didn't charge you for the time you spent staring at the loading screen, jazzy as it was.

Is ISK still Iceland's most valuable asset, or have things improved?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well what have we learned here? Oh yeah, don't be on the losing side. I always forget that one...
Eruanno said:
Not a lot of impressive space battles in that video. Mostly just blinking blobs far away. For all I know, it could be aliens discovering how to build flashlights!
One thing that sets Eve apart from other games it has a bit of rl science to it. When you really come to think about the details of real life and science as we know it, space battles are going to be very unglamorous from a bystander's point of view. The real fun is when you are in the action and at least seeing what happens between you and your current opponent. But trying to keep track of action between many ships separated by hundreds of kilometers? Not so much.
Want a real world analogy? Imagine the fun of working Artillery when current weapons can fire up to 15 miles or 23 km away.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
twaddle said:
i feel perplexed as in that video i had no idea what i was exactly looking at.
You were looking at an awe inspiring armada of hundreds of ships including many dozens of capitol class vessels as they systematically sieged & destroyed the hard work & financial investment of their enemies.

Or, to put it another way, you watched a few hundred people spend several days watching their internet spaceships shooting internet spacefactories with their screens zoomed fully out in the hope of getting their FPS into double digits, occasionally clicking f1-f6 when their internet spaceship guns have reloaded (probably with several minute time delays), destroying the work of a few guys & their alt accounts (the people who actually run these things), who will probably be building new ones within a month.

As ever, EVE reads much better than it plays.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
No. Just because one house for sale in a small suburb is, say $500k, doesn't mean that if you put every house for sale in that same town, that they would all be worth $500k. If you were to sell every ship in that fleet and start buying PLEX, first of all the price of the ships would start to go down, and then the cost of PLEX (in ISK) would probably skyrocket.

In any case, just because you can use real money to buy ISK (in a roundabout way via PLEX)--doesn't mean you can similarly trade ISK for real money (without risking account suspension), so the "expense" of EVE space battles are immaterial.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
teisjm said:
Jark212 said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
dammit everything I hear about EVE makes me want to play,
Same here, then I realize that I'm cheap as hell...
Well, if you spend enough time each month (and play "effectilvely") it's free.

The game itself is legally downlaoded along with a 15 day trial i think, and then once you get started, if you can farm enough in-game money (ISK) you can use that to pay for PLEXes (1 month subsciriptions) so basicly, if you make enough in-game money, you don't have to pay real life money to play.
That's actually a pretty brilliant strategy, I might give the 15 day trial a try...