This EVE Online Space Battle Cost $15,000

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
^^^^ Good luck making that sort of money as a trial player. Unless you're good as scamming but even then I think trial players are prohibited from sending or receiving money.

LiftYourSkinnyFists said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Not even PLEX this time? Sorry, you can't trade in game currency for cash, so it's not $15,000. It is however a sad example of humanity.
What? I don't see where you're coming from
He's saying the $15,000 is a pointless, meaningless metric and I agree. The article tries to make it seem like $15k was vaporized in a virtual space battle but that's not what happened at all. As other people in the thread have pointed out you could come up with equivalent numbers for any MMO.

Now if you want to discuss the value of the time wasted by people playing these games then that's another conversation altogether (and probably one that won't get fair treatment on a video game oriented web site).

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
All this news about the Eve space battles is really making me want to buy it.

accountdeletethis

Stand-up philosopher
Sep 10, 2008
I barely managed to detach myself from Wow which was stuck to my free time like a headcrab (and Cataclysm will probably be the end of me as a balanced member of human society), but this game has been whispering in my ear through articles and videos for a while now, and my willpower's practically saying "what are you looking at me for? You don't pay me enough to work off a temptation like this one". I'm doomed.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Every time I read a story like this it makes me want to try out this game. I feel like it would be extremely hard to break into though. Can anyone vouch for that?

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
CUnk said:
^^^^ Good luck making that sort of money as a trial player. Unless you're good as scamming but even then I think trial players are prohibited from sending or receiving money.
Prohibited from sending ISK directly, but NOT prohibited from receiving ISK. Also, you can send ISK indirectly in form of direct trades of goods worth ISK, or dropping it in a safespot, or any other number of things.
olikunmissile said:
Who want's to buddy me? Going to start playing, I get 21 free days and you get 30!
If you're NOT also asking for a PLEX from the start, plenty of people on the forums offer invites like that.
There's also several other game-related forums where you can make a free account and ask for a 21-day invite, provided you don't expect to also receive a PLEX.

Although, some people MIGHT offer you to send you SOME ISK after you really do subscribe out of your pocket and they get the credited 30 days - not quite the countervalue of one PLEX, but still better than nothing for a newbie.
Of course, they might not send you anything at all even if they promise they'll do that. Heh.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Everytime I hear about EVE it sounds amazing... it's like a real economic system in there, the scale of organisation in EVE sounds all very exciting... but it's so darn hard to get into! I tried the trial and was completely flumoxed by it :p

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tibike77 said:
dududf said:
Last plex I bought was in August, so the prices should have changed, but not that much.
There was no trick. I went to jita, I found a sell order for a plex, they're usually pretty damn cheap, last one I bought was 255m or so.
I just went there and bought it. No buy order. Which is why I'm flabbergasted at those prices in forge.
[http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2705/plexprices.jpg]
^^^
"The Forge" price evolution in the past year.
Click to open large.

Last time they sold for around 260 mil was in March 2010.
In August 2010 they went for a minimum of 300 mil and started rising heavily at about that time.
I don't know then, it was a while ago, but I sure as hell know it sold for 255m in august.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
I love reading about that game, sounds scary as hell to play though.
Yeah, in theory I would love to play this game, but realistically I would never be able to put in enough effort or time to make any contribution even close to this. Its still fucking epic to read about though.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
announcer: keep hearing about all the amazing scandals in EVE online?
-are you amazed by all the vitual money that can be lost in false investments?
-do you wish you could experience these amazing schemes, but dont know how to play EVE?

well now you can!

introducing the Real Estate boom, by Fanny Mae enjoy all the thrills and chills of losing thousands of dollars in investment withot the hassle of a monthly subscription. Featuring amazing graphics, and immersive gameplay mechanics, youll wonder why anyone would wait for patch day to appreciate a scam!

Why Ponzi with Pixels - Try Real Estate Boom!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
dududf said:
Hmmm...

Anyone know where they're getting the isk price for those plexes? I'm assuming they're going by the Jita average or something.

Anyways that's not all surprising amount of damage. I find it more entertaining however, when it's a gank on a big expensive ships launched by 600 or so people in cheap ass little 30k Velators. Pop a blaster on it, a drone in the drone bay, maybe a a afterburner if you're cap stable with it, just so they can't track on you (unless they have hob goblins, or hammer heads)

Interesting stuff! I need to refresh my subscription.
dude... all i got from your post was

"jibber-jabber-jibber-jabber

thats not all surprising amount of damage.jibber-jabber-jibber-jabber

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
HentMas said:
dududf said:
Hmmm...

Anyone know where they're getting the isk price for those plexes? I'm assuming they're going by the Jita average or something.

Anyways that's not all surprising amount of damage. I find it more entertaining however, when it's a gank on a big expensive ships launched by 600 or so people in cheap ass little 30k Velators. Pop a blaster on it, a drone in the drone bay, maybe a a afterburner if you're cap stable with it, just so they can't track on you (unless they have hob goblins, or hammer heads)

dude... all i got from your post was

"jibber-jabber-jibber-jabber

thats not all surprising amount of damage.jibber-jabber-jibber-jabber

Really? Because that part with my musing on how to properly gank a big ship was pretty damn basic.

Get 600 cheap ass space ships, make em go fast, but a blaster (think shotgun sorta) put a attack drone in it boom. Dead.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Tibike77 said:
CUnk said:
Prohibited from sending ISK directly, but NOT prohibited from receiving ISK. Also, you can send ISK indirectly in form of direct trades of goods worth ISK, or dropping it in a safespot, or any other number of things.
olikunmissile said:
Who want's to buddy me? Going to start playing, I get 21 free days and you get 30!
If you're NOT also asking for a PLEX from the start, plenty of people on the forums offer invites like that.
There's also several other game-related forums where you can make a free account and ask for a 21-day invite, provided you don't expect to also receive a PLEX.

Although, some people MIGHT offer you to send you SOME ISK after you really do subscribe out of your pocket and they get the credited 30 days - not quite the countervalue of one PLEX, but still better than nothing for a newbie.
Of course, they might not send you anything at all even if they promise they'll do that. Heh.
If I was going to start an EVE account, I would probably ask someone (most likely the leader of the RPS corp) for an extended trial and tag-along with said corporation after I finish the tutorials.

Jan 23, 2009
Big hello to mah NC bros. I'd have been on that fleet if it didn't leave at 0545 in the morning!!!!

I am surprised how this has been reported all over the place. =P

It's not a very big deal ingame - we have been purging evoke space for a while now. The damage quoted is for 3 titans, but later intel revealed materials for another 2. So we got lucky!

olikunmissile said:
I'll PM you buddy.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
Wait....did that video say they were blowing up evoke tech moons?
O_O is THAT why the price of technetium has been spiking to badly? Well, I guess now I have someone to shake my fist at -_-

As for getting into Eve, I love the game, but yeah, I gotta say: If you can't deal with being bombarded by information, it's not the game for you.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Not even PLEX this time? Sorry, you can't trade in game currency for cash, so it's not $15,000.
Even though you can't trade in-game currency for cash you can trade it in for game time, which costs real world money. As such, the assets lost in the battle are still worth $15,000.

It's a bit like if you played poker with your friends using amazon.com gift certificates. True, you could never exchange the gift certificates for real money, but they still have an economic worth roughly equivalent to actual cash. Even if you personally don't want anything from amazon, it's still worth the same amount printed on the certificate since someone else would hypothetically be able to buy something with it.