This Game Isn't Hard Enough...

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Let's come up with challenge modes for popular games.

I came up with one because my brother thought my snealthy-snipey play style made Far Cry 3 too easy. So, when he played (and on my next play through) you have to set the came to hard and you're only allowed to use guns you've unlocked--no buying guns. The game still gets pretty easy after about an hour or two, but it's a start.

I'll come up with a second one to help get things started.
In Oblivion, when you choose your major skills. Choose them randomly, then play with what you get.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Assassin's Creed 2 - The Floor is Lava

You are never allowed to touch the ground. You must be on roof tops, railings, or anything else that's above the ground at all times. If you must travel somewhere that has no rooftops for you to run on then you must do so only by jumping onto a horse and then riding to your destination. The only time you're allowed to touch the ground is when the game forces you to interact with certain characters or objects. If you fall onto the ground, or touch the ground without the game forcing you to do so you must attack the nearest guard and let him kill you.

Do it, you won't.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Play through Dishonored not only without being seen, but leaving absolutely no trace of your presence. No choking people out, no killing unless you can make it look like an accident, no crossbow, gun, grenade or spring razor. No stealing items from people who might miss them. Essentially, nothing that would suggest in any way the presence of an assassin or thief. For extra hard mode, no Outsider powers or bone charms.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Playing Borderlands where everything one shots you, you get one Fight For Your Life chance, and when you die it erases your save file and all your characters.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
piinyouri said:
Playing Borderlands where everything one shots you, you get one Fight For Your Life chance, and when you die it erases your save file and all your characters.
Rogue like for Borderlands? That sounds fun but would require serious tweaking.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Ni no kuni .

Use only oliver and only catch use the three first familiars you get ( you are given 3 ). Set the rest of your party to don't do anything .

I'm actually gonna try this on my second playthrough ( about halfwaythrough my first ).

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
For Farcry 3, I turned the detection meter, hit indicator, aim assist and crosshairs off. Makes the game a more challenging experience when you actually have to look for enemies, instead of relying on the detection meter, etc.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
metro 2033, hardest difficulty, never use the scrap assualt ammo and don't sell it either.
alternatively, never use the shops either.

EDIT: how could I forget the "three heart challange" for Zelda games, you are not allowed more than three hearts, so no picking those up after boss fights, and no pieces of heart either.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Ni no kuni , i know its a children game but im playing and im only 10 hours in but i hope it gets more challenging.

Also Plancescape : torment - first time playing an D and D game and hardly died (even if it didnt matter).

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
It's not mine but: The Three Day Challenge in Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask. After the first time you use the song of time, beat the rest of the game without using it.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Playing through Dark Souls without using a shield.

OH THE PAIN
A SL1 run using only fists (no fist weapons).

This one is nothing new, but in any Kingdom Hearts game that offers Critical Mode, doing a LV1 playthrough is a brutal challenge. Some even go as far as forgoing equipment upgrades.

I think a no-damage Kirby run would be pretty fun.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Those looking for a good Zelda fix before the new ones come out: try Twilight Princess again, without picking up a single heart or heart container! (you can still fill your life up with items) This 3-heart-Zelda-challenge is more doable then you think!

My only complaint against TP was the combat of the game was obnoxiously easy, so much so it bored me to tears. But playing the game like this made it VERY enjoyable. Give it a try! And no it didn't get too hard. All this challenge does is make the game as hard as one of the older Zelda titles. It's challenging but nowhere near impossible. Also forgive the bad pic, this was taken on my pre-smart phone camera.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Arkham City: Hard New Game + with no gadgets, upgrades, or special moves for combat.

That is to say, no upgrading your armor, no use of any gadgets during combat, no using special combo moves (i.e. bat swarm, the insta-takedown, disarm and destroy, etc), and no getting Freeflow Focus. Just Batman punching the crap outta everything.

That's what I'm doing right now, anyways, and it's not as easy as you might think. The no armor upgrades is a real killer seeing as how it's easy to miss a few counter attacks during the bigger brawls.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Play any game... with your eyes closed. Relying souly on sound, the ultimate hard mode/ventures in game design for the visually impaired.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Skyrim (or pretty much any RPG or almost any game):

You get one life. Just one. If you die, that's it, you lose, you don't get to load your save file. game over.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Redingold said:
Play through Dishonored not only without being seen, but leaving absolutely no trace of your presence. No choking people out, no killing unless you can make it look like an accident, no crossbow, gun, grenade or spring razor. No stealing items from people who might miss them. Essentially, nothing that would suggest in any way the presence of an assassin or thief. For extra hard mode, no Outsider powers or bone charms.
Well, I allowed myself to choke out guys on rare occasion, and I took *some* randoms stuff now and then but not a whole lot. But I did do completely undetected, 0 killing, and no runes or bone charms (on very hard of course, with the only hud element a context sensitive health/mana, and auto-aim/aim assist off, was on the 360)

As for my challenge: play through Halo Reach Swordbase on legendary difficulty (hell why not with skulls on) and after you get past the initial firefight, jack the first ghost you see and after that ONLY kill stuff using the ghost, right up to and including the phantom at the end of the level. (I've done this on normal, though with I think 3 mellee attacks mixed in) it *is* possible to get the ghost right through.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Deus ex: HR

Super passive thief playthrough; Don't touch anyone...no non-lethal takedowns, no tranq, no stun gun, no gas grenade or stun grenade (unless you're fighting bosses). No using radar (cover the radar with a piece of paper if you have to).

if that's too easy; add Only level 2 hacking