This Game Needs a Remake/Re-Release

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
LookingGlass said:
The old X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. Getting them to run these days is almost too annoying to bother... until you remember how good they are.
The space-flight game seems to have gone out of fashion or something.
Other than the X series there hasn't really been an attempt to revitalize the genre

I loved Xwing/TIE Fighter/Freespace 2/Xwing Alliance I guess freelancer was pretty good too.

Space dogfights for the win!

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
Another tick foe a FF VII remake.

Although I am rather concerned about the people who found Tifa and Aerith(Aeris depending on which translation you look at) etc. attractive with the old graphics. I think there would just be mass explosions if a FF VII remake was released

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Seiken Densetsu 3 needs one and also the Mother series, too. Final Fantasy 6, I'm futilely hoping would come out for the normal DS...

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
TLS14 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
TLS14 said:
Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears.

Yeah. I have a hard-on for pre-merger Square.
Seconded, especially on FF IX.

Giving ol' Freya and Vivi an HD make-over would be pure bliss. These days, we simply don't have enough games with cities built in giant trees, castles that are upside down and flying zombie whales.

Also, if a Xenogears remake would ever happen, the game might finally get a European release.

However, I don't really agree with Chrono Trigger and FF V, since both of them already got a re-release on the DS not all that long ago.
FFV didn't. Only III and IV. I'm hoping the re-release all of the classics in 3D, tbh.

BOLD: Wait...you guys overseas don't have Xenogears!? What kind of a world do you live in!? I suppose you could just import, but does that work with the PS1? I always thought it was region locked.

EDIT: Though, to be fair, Europe got Vagrant Story on the PSN before North America, and I was pretty pissed about that. I finally got that game and I wasn't able to put it down for about a month. It's amazing.
Ah, my bad, I confused it with FF V's re-release on PSN :)

As to your question of what world we live in: a dark and cruel world...

A world where we never got any Final Fantasy title till the dawn of the original PlayStation. A world where we had to wait till the DS-release to finally play Chrono Trigger. We have no Xenogears, no Chrono Cross or Grandia III. As for the 'Tales of'-series, we never had Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny II (till the PSP-version, at least), no Tales of Legendia and no Tales of The Abyss. We had to wait till 2004 for out first Dragon Quest game and it wasn't until 2005 that we finally got a Megami Tensei/Persona/Devil Summoner title. Also, Suikoden IV was the first Suikoden we ever had and Front Mission: Evolved was the first Front Mission we ever had (oh joy). And we never got Earthbound, Robotrek, Super Mario RPG or Secret of the Stars.

Oh, we got Xenosaga part II... But they never released part I or III.

Also, because you asked: PSOne and PS2 are region locked, so if we want to import a game, we also have to import a console (and preferably a memory card).

As for Vagrant Story: Yes, we got that one first, but I don't think it really holds up against everything else...

Revolution -X-

Aug 27, 2010
CorinthianRed said:
NO! IF YOU PEOPLE ALL START TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU WOULD JUST BUY REMAKES THEN THAT IS ALL THE TRIPLE A INDUSTRY WILL GIVE YOU!
Just effing play those games on your old consoles! >.<
Some of the old consoles don't work anymore.
And some of the games on older PCs aren't patched to run on Laptops.

caleb451

Nov 19, 2010
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem with tightened combat
Jet Force Gemini, with HD textures and such
Blast Corps
Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow And The Flame

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
SuperMse said:
TLS14 said:
Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears.

Yeah. I have a hard-on for pre-merger Square.
You're in luck- Chrono Trigger has a DS remake!
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I have a lot of Square games I still need to pick up for my DS, though, so I'm bound to forget in lieu of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and the plethora of Final Fantasy games that they released.

Revolution -X-

Aug 27, 2010
loodmoney said:
Keep in mind the difference between a remake and a re-release. The former makes significant (i.e. non-cosmetic) changes, and is good for taking a concept/story/theme from an old game and using it in a different way. The latter takes an old game and makes it playable on a new platform, which is useful for making "out of print" games available for new audiences.

So to take some of the games mentioned already, that I'd like to see: Re-releases:Metal Gear Solid needs a re-release, as it is hard to get hold of PS1 games. Deus Ex is pretty much fine, as you can still buy that. Grim Fandango, on the other hand, is nearly impossible to get hold of.

Re-makes: classic FPSs that were made before twin analogue sticks/ mouse & WASD became the norm. Doom, Goldeneye, &c. Resident Evil and Dino Crisis could do with a remake, by taking the controls and camera from Resident Evil 4, but keeping the survival horror rather than action horror feel.
Thanks very much for pointing this out.

CorinthianRed

May 22, 2011
Revolution -X- said:
CorinthianRed said:
NO! IF YOU PEOPLE ALL START TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU WOULD JUST BUY REMAKES THEN THAT IS ALL THE TRIPLE A INDUSTRY WILL GIVE YOU!
Just effing play those games on your old consoles! >.<
Some of the old consoles don't work anymore.
And some of the games on older PCs aren't patched to run on Laptops.
Ok fine, if you guys care that much about them, get them remade.
But I still feel like this won't end well....unless we set a rule that the game has to be a certain age or have a certain anniversary beefore it can be remade, because I swear to god, if I see a remake for sonic adventure battles 1 & 2, GRAWR! (adventure battle 2 wasn't a terrible game, but I stand by my principles)
Also, If I see a remake of Half life Before H-L 3 comes out, someones face will look like a spoon made with a fist...

Don't let it get out of hand is all I'm saying, I guess.

hallow eyes

Nov 19, 2009
Any of the lord of the rings games. I feel like none of them where nearly as good as they could have been, conquest might have been alright if it didn't have some of the worst balence issues ever.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
Meatramen said:
Conker's Bad Fur day - A good remake!
YEESSSSSSSS. live and reloaded made me want to profusely shank infants with the broken shards of my dreams.

SaintMorose

Nov 18, 2010
Spectrum_Prez said:
A Morrowind port to the Skyrim engine would be awesome.
sadly this^^

Morrowind needs a graphics/sound overhaul to the next gen so you can actually find what you are looking for and recognize different areas

And in Oblivion the gameplay/dialog has been dumbed down to the point at which someone with 5 skill points in longsword can use one just fine to beat the entire arena... And no one will tell you anything unless it can be read off a script in 3 seconds or less.

caleb451

Nov 19, 2010
They did remake Myst with realtime 3D (hence, realMyst) but it was kinda buggy. It could stand some optimizing for current systems.