This illogical MW2 hate has got to stop

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Treblaine said:
LordCraigus said:
No dedicated servers.
The console version doesn't have dedicated servers EITHER yet they both score 96% on metacritic.
What was that again? "You don't know what you've got until it's gone"?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Furburt said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
I've said it before, the PC elitists are just being babies because their game isn't any better than the console version.
But thats the thing, P2P just doesn't work on PC. Neither does the forced hosting, my ISP has a rule against it. It would be fine if they were equal, but they aren't, the PC is now definitely the inferior platform.
And this is unacceptable, why?

Orange Box, L4D, Counter Strike. They have all had inferior console versions and I've never bat an eyelid. Now when the console version has the upper hand everyone freaks out.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
I've said it before, the PC elitists are just being babies because their game isn't any better than the console version. Therefore they feel the need to whine as they're so used to being able to brag about their versions of games being better. Now that we're on equal terms, they can't handle it and spaz out.
That was my thinking of this whole situation.

Infinity Ward wanted to have the same game available for everyone. Whether you're playing on the PC, 360, or PS3, you're getting the exact same game, with differences being minor and probably controller related. No-one console or platform has a huge advantage over another, thus putting everyone on an even playing field.

I love it.

To me, this is a step closer to cross platform gaming, which is something that only Shadowrun did. And that's a shame, because Shadowrun was terrible (For me, at least). But here is a fine example of a game that's the same for everyone, everywhere. It wouldn't take much to have PC gamers playing with 360 gamers! How awesome would that be?
But that's kind of off topic.

To come back on topic, let me say that I understand why PC gamers are getting upset. I totally get it. But I also understand why IW and Activition made some of the changes and cuts they did. It's a more even playing field. Now the guy who got it for the 360 or PS3 won't be saying "Aww man, the PC version has those great MODs! And way more people per server! And their DLC is free!" No, now it's even for everyone.
Obviously those who have been pampered won't like these changes, but for the rest of us: It's just fair.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Dilla said:
I think this is a great post, I personally am a console gamer, but can totally agree with what you saying. I like the universal gaming message.

Good to see a positive and sensible MW2 PC related post!
Shouldn't you be more annoyed that Console games wern't raised to the standard that a PC game is normally put at?
I wouldn't see this as a positive post, I'd see it more as a "wait: why is being the same as a console game seen as being downgraded?". And there is one answer to that: PC games normally have more added to them. The solution? Complain to the companies that have previously downgraded Console Ports and get them to make Console games to the same standard as a PC game normally would be.

Feb 13, 2008
Treblaine said:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2?q=modern%20warfare

A user score of 13%???!?
That high? I expected the "totally unbiased" PC reviewers to give it less than double figures.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Rabbid fanboys? Excuse me for demanding the capabilities of my PC be USED.

Every single shooter released on the PC has these "capabilities"(Being able to talk to your own team, dedicated servers etc) because the PC is capable of doing them. The consoles aren't.

So please, tell me, why shouldn't the PC use 100% of it's "usability"? Do explain. I find it a very stupid reason to remove some of the most basic things any PC shooter has.

Why should the PC now be limited so that all versions be the same?(Console and PC).

Either use 100% of it's usability, or just develop the game for the consoles. How 'bout that?

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Baby Tea said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
- snip -
Same as my other post just above this one: Surely it'd be better for all gamers if Console games were upgraded to a standard that PC games are? That way, "PC Elitists" are still happy, and console gamers get a better game, making them happy.

curty129

Jul 24, 2009
Er. I don't really care. Nor do i believe any else should. Just buy the bloody game and play it how it is. You'll get nowhere by complaining - Unless you're one of those goddamn lucky L4D2 boycotters.

I do also believe that if they had created the game with dedicated servers ready to be implemented and whatnot: THEN decided to cut them out of the final version, that that is a little out of order. But it's still Activisions call. Or whoevers. Not yours. Do what you will as long as it doesn't go affecting anyone else.

Treblaine said:
It should be obvious to everyone that MW2 is better on PC than either console, surely it should be rated higher than the console version.
Duuuude. People so aren't gonna be liking that. Put on your flame retardant suit and have a fire extinguisher at the ready.

mattman106

Aug 19, 2009
Gaming is far from universal otherwise there would be one universal gaming machine. Try running Sims 3 on a P3 with 512 of RAM... what's that, you can't? Well not so universal is it.

I, as a consumer, am of the opinion that any product should strive to offer the best value at that price point. Now the reason people, especially PC gamers, are so pissed is because MW2 does not offer the best value for money at the price point. It offers inferior value for money compared to it's predeccesor. Does this make it a bad game inherently; no. Does this make it a rip-off; yes.

Also if IW wanted to make the experience equal across all platforms why not go to the effort of supporting mods on console and dedicated servers for consoles? Because they are catering to the lowest common denominator. This is OK business but you cannot expect people not to complain or find this unacceptable.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Samirat said:
PC users expect a different experience in their games. Perhaps they have higher expectations. If a game doesn't meet those expectations, they dislike it. I fail to see where the problem is.

Maybe PC users expect to be able to play on LAN, or expect to be able to host a dedicated server that they can use as they wish. Maybe getting lag when you're playing with someone right next to you is just not their cup of tea. Maybe they like to have the option to choose what server to play on, instead of having it chosen for them.

Just maybe.

If they're unsatisfied with what the game offers, they're going to mark it down, it's as simple as that. I don't see why you feel you can complain about that.
Well I see what you are getting at, PC gaming not only expects a higher standard from other games but the very nature of the hardware makes it easier to achieve.

But is it realistic for us to merely hold PC gaming to a higher standard? I guess that would have to be the case, if the admittedly gimped console versions of, say, COD4 get 96% which is so close to 100% then what could you score the PC version of COD4 that has Dedicated Servers...

I suppose with a universal gaming perspective if we take the Console scores as the benchmark then all the PC versions would be crowded around the 99-to-100% mark.

So MW2 on PC getting a score of 89% compared to 96% on consoles is not so unfair if you look at it that way.

But come on guys, it is just embarrassing people putting a user score of only 13%, it just makes us look petty.

Jun 11, 2008
Well I'm sorry but why should the standard of one be dropped when the standard of all can be raised?

Do you chop off one persons legs because their friend can't walk?

No you give the person a wheelchair or prosthetic or whatever is needed.

Also why should I not be angry for getting the full use of my system?
If I was a PS3 owner or 360 owner I would be pissed if a company decided to make the graphics the same as the Wii version to be fair to all platforms. Which is just pure laziness.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
ITT: People trying to justify their purchase to themselves, and people trying to justify their nonpurchase to themselves

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Treblaine said:
Samirat said:
PC users expect a different experience in their games. Perhaps they have higher expectations. If a game doesn't meet those expectations, they dislike it. I fail to see where the problem is.

Maybe PC users expect to be able to play on LAN, or expect to be able to host a dedicated server that they can use as they wish. Maybe getting lag when you're playing with someone right next to you is just not their cup of tea. Maybe they like to have the option to choose what server to play on, instead of having it chosen for them.

Just maybe.

If they're unsatisfied with what the game offers, they're going to mark it down, it's as simple as that. I don't see why you feel you can complain about that.
Well I see what you are getting at, PC gaming not only expects a higher standard from other games but the very nature of the hardware makes it easier to achieve.

But is it realistic for us to merely hold PC gaming to a higher standard? I guess that would have to be the case, if the admittedly gimped console versions of, say, COD4 get 96% which is so close to 100% then what could you score the PC version of COD4 that has Dedicated Servers...

I suppose with a universal gaming perspective if we take the Console scores as the benchmark then all the PC versions would be crowded around the 99-to-100% mark.

So MW2 on PC getting a score of 89% compared to 96% on consoles is not so unfair if you look at it that way.

But come on guys, it is just embarrassing people putting a user score of only 13%, it just makes us look petty.
IW looks petty taking out something that the first game had, they probably only had to do a copy paste of the code. Check out the vids on youtube concerning the PC match making and you'll see why PC gamers are giving it such a low score.

mattman106

Aug 19, 2009
Taerdin said:
people trying to justify their nonpurchase to themselves
No shit Sherlock. I normally like to engage in unjustifiable activities for shits and giggles. /sarcasm

Dilla

Jan 21, 2009
UberMore said:
Shouldn't you be more annoyed that Console games wern't raised to the standard that a PC game is normally put at?
I wouldn't see this as a positive post, I'd see it more as a "wait: why is being the same as a console game seen as being downgraded?". And there is one answer to that: PC games normally have more added to them. The solution? Complain to the companies that have previously downgraded Console Ports and get them to make Console games to the same standard as a PC game normally would be.
I'm a believer in working to your means. You can only get so much on a DVD. Games for PC, that can be downloaded can incorporate so much more. Games on consoles have to be fit around the capabilities of the system they're being designed for. PC's evolve at a much higher rate the consoles are developed at.

I'm just trying to be positive minded over the whole issue!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
mattman106 said:
Gaming is far from universal otherwise there would be one universal gaming machine. Try running Sims 3 on a P3 with 512 of RAM... what's that, you can't? Well not so universal is it.

I, as a consumer, am of the opinion that any product should strive to offer the best value at that price point. Now the reason people, especially PC gamers, are so pissed is because MW2 does not offer the best value for money at the price point. It offers inferior value for money compared to it's predeccesor. Does this make it a bad game inherently; no. Does this make it a rip-off; yes.

Also if IW wanted to make the experience equal across all platforms why not go to the effort of supporting mods on console and dedicated servers for consoles? Because they are catering to the lowest common denominator. This is OK business but you cannot expect people not to complain or find this unacceptable.
I think you misunderstand me on a "universal game perspective".

I'm not talking about the Universality of the Hardware or even the Software but the universality of the "Meatware" - that is the human element, the fact that AnyBody can play ANY any game on any device they can get their hands on (with reasonable considerations to practicality). They should conceivably be able to play Modern Warfare 2 on PS3, 360 and PC and be able to say which is the best version.

This is me talking as a "serious gamer" I have every platform (except the Wii) and play them all very frequently as I freely switch from one platform to another always seeking the best experience, doing in depth analysis with help from places like Digital Foundry (at Eurogamer.com) who conduct very professional "PS3 vs 360 vs PC" face-off comparisons.

All I have seen indicates you are still better off getting MW2 on PC than on either of the consoles.

That's why I have to speak out against this vindictive bashing of MW2 on PC yet while the console version is showered with praise.