This makes me fear our future.

Whalebranch

Nov 21, 2011
Blargh McBlargh said:
Once again I'm glad to have been born in in Europe...

Not saying stuff like this doesn't happen over here, but when it does it generally isn't as horrible as over there. :/
Are you saying that you otherwise aint happy about being born in Europe!? Jokes aside, what you speak of is the truth. It aint nearly as bad over here (atleast compared to what one gets to hear about)

apomk2

Dec 17, 2010
spartan231490 said:
apomk2 said:
You make it sound like "rights" are some kind of law of nature. They aren't. snip
debatable. "We believe that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator, with certain inalienable rights." As you can see, the US was founded on the principle that those rights are natural. That's why Locke called them natural rights. And they are. You cannot, by any power you could gain on this earth, prevent me from speaking. even if you gagged me, I could speak. You might not understand what I say, but I could speak.
The only way to actually debate this would be to go into God territory, which I myself find to be somewhat of a waste of time. If the Constitution happened to for whatever reason grant you the right to kill anyone whose face you don't like, would you still argue that that right should be inalienable, because, well, the Constitution said so?

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
Sickening. I'm appalled that the teachers essentially stood back with their arms crossed and "not my business." What's more horrifying is that the extreme religious right could influence schools to the point of causing this catastrophe. I don't want to turn this into religion-bashing, but these people are some of the worst that religion has to offer.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
spartan231490 said:
OhJohnNo said:
Are we allowed to start a "Kill Michelle Bachmann" facebook page? Give her a tiny taste of the hatred these poor guys have to face every day due to her bigotry.
Do you realize how pointless and just plain wrong it is to blame her. Of course, it can't be the kids fault for bullying other. It can't be the fault of the faculty for allowing it to happen. It can't be the fault of the parents for raising children who don't know better. No, all this is the fault of one lone bigot, everyone else is completely innocent in this. I mean, who could help it, she's their congresswoman, they have to do what she says. All their power of free will is drained away by the sheer intensity of one woman's belief.

Bullshit. Every single one of those faculty members, and students, and parents made choices, they are the ones to blame. You can say it's caused by the atmosphere, and you'd be right, but that atmosphere only exists because of the choices made by the individuals. It all comes back to them and their choices. Moving the blame elsewhere is one of the main reasons that this shit continues to happen, because the people involved never have to feel guilty, and never have to face the consequences of their actions.
I realise that, but I think we have to start somewhere. She's the "head" of all this - and probably the most dangerous, too, being a congresswoman (the fact that people with these views are still capable of getting to such high places in developed countries depresses me). I imagine, too, that if we did start this facebook page, then the subject of "discussion" wouldn't stay confined to Bachmann alone.

Still, yes, they're all equally, disgustingly to blame. The fact that some of them still have the gall to blame the gays themselves for all these suicides makes me wan to do something unpleasant.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Dude, you're not gonna get any respect for this kind of message on this site. This community is aggressively and intolerantly atheist, which is kinda funny when you take that in context with the responses to this thread. Not trying to tear you down, just letting you know that you will probably get bombarded by quotes telling you how idiotic you are for believing in god, or how ridiculous the very idea is.
I don't need respect and if people hate me for preaching tolerance then that's what will happen.

Anyway, you're a better man than me. I hate them and I'm proud of it. I'm a christian but I believe in culpability above all things. I don't find anything morally wrong with hating people who have done something detestable. Each of them made a choice, likely many choices, and they should face the consequences of those choices.
Yes, people will be judged for their actions. That does not give you the right to hate them for it. In fact, Christ was pretty specific on what to do about the whole thing.

Matthew 7:1 said:
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Matthew 5:44 said:
But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you;
Do your thing. I understand the desire to hate. But God's not going to leave you blameless for it. Honestly, your hate will only hurt you in the end. I'd suggest giving it up.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
This just makes me sick. It's people like that who claim to be "Christians" that turn me off of organized religion. I have no more words to describe how angry I am...

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
studies show that one-third of all gay youth have attempted suicide at some point (versus 13 percent of hetero kids), and that internalized homophobia contributes to suicide risk.
Holy citations, Batman! Let's see some goddamn references here, buddy. 13 percent of hetero students attempt suicide? I call ultra bullshit.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
What's weird is how all of this resonates in gay-friendly environments like California. I live in San Diego County, where homosexuals are widely accepted as equals. The 51% that voted for Prop 8 live mostly in silence or in the Central Valley (which actually had towns that seceded to the South in the Civil War, so there's that). Here, you're more likely to have friends BECAUSE you are gay. It's like we're trying to overcompensate for all the midwest and southern communities that have such rampant anti-gay problems. It actually starts to cause resentment towards gay individuals because they have that sassy, obnoxious demeanor that glorifies homosexuality almost to the point where they make you feel inferior for NOT being gay.

It's kind of funny, during all that Day of Silence stuff, at my college there's always an LGBT booth with people who have tape all over their mouths just doing nothing. I have a gay friend, and last time we saw that, we walked up pretending to be ignorant. He looked at the banner and in his best gay voice (which he had to force; he sounds like every other dude) flatly asked, "What are these faggots doing?"

They all glared at him while I tried my best not to smile.

"Probably just being gay as shit," I answered.

Then we held hands and walked away. The point we were making is that sitting in a gay-friendly community and making these protests doesn't help anyone. It's just a way to attach yourself to some form of activism that's easy to side with. Unless you have some radical religious standpoint, you should be against gay kids being bullied. It's not hard. The only way you can actually make a difference is to maybe sign some petitions for the Obama Administration to look into this kind of thing. Protests, parades, rallies, etc don't do ANYTHING to help a child who is thinking of suicide. He's not standing in the streets of San Francisco or San Diego to see them. He's trapped in the halls of an Evangelical-run high school in Minnesota. Only legislation and reform will help him.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Let's just throw out all these damn pastors and priests that brainwash people into thinking that everybody is going to hell, and making people into the biggest assholes in the world.

For those thinking that it goes against the right of free speech, free speech should be a privilege, not a right. You can't go up and yell at Blacks and Asians all day about how they're inferior animals, so you shouldn't be able to yell at gay people about how they are abominations, especially not kids.

That's the worst part here, they're yelling at kids here, making them believe they're absolutely worthless, and then Bachmann defended that anti-gay legislation probably so that bullies can go after gays.

caffineking

Apr 19, 2009
I find it kind of inspiring. Don't get me wrong, the fact that the kids had to 'fight back' in the first place is just plain wrong - but it does give you some hope in the future of places like that when people are prepared to take a stand against such bigotry.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I dont understand the thread title. Stuff like this is becoming more rare, me thinks.

Once religion has died out we will see much less of this.
Religion is the excuse. Humanity is the cause.

There are no shortages of excuses for people to hate each other, religion has very little to do with it.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i have no issue with religion until they try to push there beliefs on others and affect other peoples lives who want anything to do with it. unfortunately that happens way too often.
i read the whole thing and i am sickened.
i am kinda speechless so i will let professor farnsworth do the talking for now while i think

edit:thinking done
don't Christians claim how god is about love, tolerance, and stuff like that?
if that is the case they are not Christians; they are just ass holes who are pretending to be Christians.
or maybe that love and tolerance thing is a lie
what the hell do i know i am not religious at all. i would say i am agnostic atheist.

i would like to think they feel sorry for the deaths they caused but honestly the kids in the school probably celebrates the death of gays. i really hate religious extremists

Combustion Kevin said:
tire irons, one dollah!

get yer tire irons here, just one dollah!
torches and pitchforks come at discount if you trade in some ignorant dickblister's teeth, act now!

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
After reading that, I had to take a few minutes to calm down and keep myself from vomiting in disgust. I'd write more of how I feel about this, but this is probably all I can manage before going into full-on rant mode and spending twenty minutes writing angry things about conservative Christians, and I don't want banned.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
apomk2 said:
spartan231490 said:
apomk2 said:
You make it sound like "rights" are some kind of law of nature. They aren't. snip
debatable. "We believe that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator, with certain inalienable rights." As you can see, the US was founded on the principle that those rights are natural. That's why Locke called them natural rights. And they are. You cannot, by any power you could gain on this earth, prevent me from speaking. even if you gagged me, I could speak. You might not understand what I say, but I could speak.
The only way to actually debate this would be to go into God territory, which I myself find to be somewhat of a waste of time. If the Constitution happened to for whatever reason grant you the right to kill anyone whose face you don't like, would you still argue that that right should be inalienable, because, well, the Constitution said so?
1) I said creator, not god. If you believe that humans evolved(I do) than the argument is equally valid. We do not need to debate god at all, you need to debate whether a certain right is inherent in a human being. If it can't be taken away, it is inherent, and as I've already shown, freedom of speech is inherent because you can't take it away. Many of the rights are like that.

2) I never mentioned the constitution. That was a quote from the declaration of independence, and if that isn't a condemnation of education I don't know what is. I don't need to mention the constitution because I am not debating law, I was merely pointing out that an entire country was founded on the ideal that every single human being is born with some rights.

3) Nice hyperbole at the end there, but that's not what I said. That's not even what I implied. In fact, it's not even close.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I read the whole thing, probably a first for me, but it was a hell of a tearjerker.
Anyhow, it doesn't make me fear our future, in fact, it makes me look forward to it, as shit like that is being outlawed, and overall stomped on in our society.

For shit to be eliminated shit must first exist.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
I genuinely cannot describe the sheer rage I feel when I see shit like this. Everyone involved in the bullying, including the teachers, need to get a comprehensive and extreme beating as revenge for ruining and killing these children. Let them feel the pain they dispensed.