This Obsession With Difficulty is a Little Absurd

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The world would be a better, happier place if everybody understood that the things that are challenging to one person are not the same that challenge the next.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i dont understand your stance. you dont like the fact that theres a call for games to be more challenging? why? we dont want more challenging games so we can feel superior to those who couldnt beat demons souls, we want more challenging games because easy games get boring

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
There are some games that would be ruined if they were too easy - serious FPSs like STALKER or (god forbid) ARMA 2 would lose a ton of their atmosphere and appeal if you could just stroll through them casually gunning down everything in your path.

But what I really genuinely resent is when a game has no option to change difficulty and is locked into easy/casual mode. Post-Cata WoW removed all of the challenge from the levelling experience, and the result is an incredibly dull guided tour of easy quests, mini games you literally can't lose, and neutered quest bosses. WoW was never the hardest of MMOs, but it's ridiculous how far they've gone in 'streamlining' it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, Skyrim has some issues, some of which are logical consequences of how it is built or, err, constructed. Pretty much every set (evidently changed when the game goes to the loading screen) offers a number of actors and scripted bits that are very much essential. If you muck up and manage to do something the game is not prepared for, you're stuck. I managed to get stuck repeatedly by some specific event just plain not triggering; say - a character not noticing my finishing a quest, a vital character attacking me and me killing him, a door not opening and no way to retrace my steps beyond save games (which didn't help) or going to the console (which helped, but felt a bit like going all Neo on poor old Skyrim and brought with it temptation galore). Something along those lines.

If you could accidentally kill key characters, Skyrim's story/plot would plain not progress and you would be in sidequest hell for all eternity, until there was nothing else to do beyond killing everyone and becoming mad and evil.

A game like Dark Souls is built completely differently, and when you kill, say, a somewhat vital and utterly handy NPC like a blacksmith or a merchant, you could still finish the game, just with some very noticeable differences. It has to be noted that Dark Souls is pretty much unique in that way, though. Most games these days are so very much scripted and on rails that stepping outside the box would inevitably break them.

As for the difficulty - 'normal' was my first playthrough of choice back when 'normal' still meant 'normal'. These days, 'normal' is already 'kiddiewink' in order not to frustrate folks, and if there is an 'easy' option it's for the intellectually impaired. 'hard' is either today's proper 'normal' or it blatantly shows how broken and rushed the game actually is. It's quite sad, methinks.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I guess it's because challenging games are a more rewarding experience, and in the wider community there is a cultural backlash against publishers making all of their games as easy as possible in order to draw in their perceived idea of the newer casual market.

If you like challenging games, there just isn't much choice within the AAA market.

I think some kind of tipping point has been reached now however. There is clearly a desire for challenge from a larger sector of the gaming community outside of the hardcore's and it I've noticed more casual players are even getting tired of it.

My gf is THE old stereotype casual gamer, and even she was saying "Yeah, I get it. @!#&%." when playing Assassin's Creed 3's 7 hour baby steps tutorial.
Getting the difficulty in a game right and guiding players without handholding is an art that alot of designers just never learned it seemed, so hopefully all this dialogue about it will raise some awareness and increase demand for it.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
Maybe it's just a really vocal minority that keeps shouting for the game disc to snap in half and rape your mother if you accidentally step on a tap.
Yes, people who say that ARE a vocal minority.

On the other hand, people who feel that the current AAA offering is somehow too boringly easy are a vocal MAJORITY at least on most gamer forums, even if not in the whole buyer audience.

The problem is with hyperboles, and stereotypes. With assuming that every single person who ever said anything about a game being too easy, can be identified with a single "hardcore agenda" and that they agree with everything else that other hardcore gamers have ever said, so these comments all ad up to a single opinion outshouting you.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Drago-Morph said:
Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee
This word has become worse than the arrow to the knee jokes...

Anyway, its because games don't feel as challenging any more, or at east they rarely do and because of that the gameplay aspect in most games these days feel pretty boring, because a lot of times were just blazing through them so easily that we don't put any effort into it.
That's why Dark Souls is my favourite game this gen in terms of gameplay,because that game pushes the player to play at his best, which makes you appreciate the game more.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It really shouldn't be that difficult. If the game is not challenging, then it is an easy chore. I'm not saying 'the harder the better', but with out any thing to push you to compete, to feel some tension, to test at least some of you abilities you learnt, the game is quickly just skipped through and becomes forgettable.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I don't have problems with high difficulty, as long as the game is designed around it.

Dark Souls for example knows you'll die at some point, and doesn't break the flow as much when you do. You keep everything except your Souls and continue playing. Same with Super Meat Boy, you just jump right back in.

Compare this to other games, Skyrim for example. It's difficulty varies tremendously from each situation, and each time you die, the game says:
"uh, what? You died? I don't even know what to do, now! Hold on, there is this form you have to fill out, it's somewhere inside my locker. Let me go and fetch it. We might be able to roll back the game a bit, so you don't die. I hope you remember where you last saved!"

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
depends. is you sucking at the game your fault for not getting better at it, or the game for having shitty design.

if the former then it's a good game as long as it's possible to get good at it with out wasting away your life on it like AVGN would for Ghost and Goblins. if the later than it's a piece of shit.

also, i like games that give you a choice in difficulty, depending on the experience you want. a great example would be the doom games for DOS and WIN95 way back in the day.

for doom has five difficulty settings. for very easy they got simple and effective "I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE NEEEEGGGH!" and then you got "Hurt me Plenty!" in the middle with "Hey not too rough guys jezz." right under it.

that's when the names become hard core as fuck.

hard is a reference to A Clockwork Orange, going by "Ultra Violent"

and then you get the big one. the real man's man's difficulty that sets the men from the boys and the girls from, wait girls can refer to adult women as well ok nm.

anyways it's called NIGHTMARE

and boy does the name fit [http://youtu.be/tZnIwcUhaTY]

perfection.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I get that people love difficulty for the challenge. That's easy. What I don't get is why anyone would begrudge people that love games, but really stink at them (me) very easy modes and cheats.

I'm cheating like mad at those games that allow me to do so at this time, and, it is a fun experience like no other. Movies and TV are boring by comparison.

But Halo 2, for instance, easy meant easy. You could play on a hard mode if you liked. Even on easy mode, I would die, realize I can't just run and gun, get to do the point that I died over again and this time, throw some grenades into a dangerous room before entering. It was a pleasure. More of that, please. And especially PC games that don't allow cheats... wassamattawith you people?

It's not like I'm trying to win money. I just want some fun!

aXFireXHeartXa

Jun 24, 2010
I don't like it when games are difficult to the point of constant frustration, but if a game isn't challenging me in every way then I don't feel that satisfaction from beating it. That's why whenever I play a new game I always jump straight to the hardest difficulty.

And I am one of those people who'd like the "good ol' days" brought back because I had more fun playing Halo 1 and Morrorwind on max difficulty than I did Halo 4 and Skyrim.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
This may be a little off topic to this thread, but I feel it relates.

I can't stand people who heckle games for being too easy when there are difficulty choices. Seriously, have you ever played some of these games on the hard modes? It's like being equipped with a water pistol to a lion arena.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
My problem with difficulty levels is that they are rarely more of a challenge of your abilities. More often than not they are merely challenging patience.

To beat your average shooter with regenerating health you do not have to play it more intelligently, you just need to spend around 80% more time in cover before you can carry on fighting. The actual game-play doesn't change in any significant way. Merely making enemies weapons more powerful and their health larger is a poor way of making a game harder, and that's what most games do.

I like games such as FTL when enemies use better weapons more often (as opposed to using the same weapons as you but theirs are more magically powerful) and will use abilities that they wouldn't normally use as much. Or finding weapons/items is a lot rarer so you have to make do with what you have and think more carefully about what you use and when.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Drago-Morph said:
Seriously, I just don't get it. Why are people ragging on modern games for not actively hating the player? I mean, I understand Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee-Games that are pretty much you on a tour of set pieces with no way to loose are too easy to the point of not being fun. I get that.

No, I'm talking about other games that people seem to criticize for being too "easy". What specifically made me agitated enough to try and get a discussion going so I could understand this phenomenon was a point made in a video I saw abut Skyrim having been made too easy. Specifically, it was heckled because quest-vital characters couldn't die and there was no way to truly fail the (hundreds of hours long) game. I mean . . . really? I just don't get it. It's preposterous.

I don't know, maybe this opinion isn't as widespread as it seems. Maybe it's just a really vocal minority that keeps shouting for the game disc to snap in half and rape your mother if you accidentally step on a tap. If that's the case, then feel free to discuss why this has become such a visible issue as of late and your own thoughts on the subject. However, if there's really a significant chunk of people out there who want to bring back the "good ol' days", I'd really like to hear why. It just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: Whoops, meant to post this in Gaming Discussion. My bad. Mods, feel free to move it to your heart's content.
All this hyperbole that basicly says "people like what I dont like" is a little exhausting

However to try and be on topic, veneration of difficulty...whats wrong with it? People venerate graphics, music, narrative, story, plot, characters, etc. Whats wrong with venerating difficulty? Why can that not be an enjoyable part of the game like many other pieces to the whole?

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Sleekit said:
is it really that hard to give us a difficulty slider and make everybody happy ?

i think not.

capcha says "cool head prevail"
I've never met a difficult slider I liked. They usually just make enemies into invincible oneshot machines. I wish there was a difficulty in Skyrim that made enemies hit like it was on the highest difficulty, but die like it was on normal.