Thor Is Getting Gender-Flipped. Officially.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
I believe it was Linkara who said "Unless an idea catches outside of mainstream comics, don't count on sticking around more than a year or so."

Or something like that. Dude's got 300+ episodes now; I'm not looking for the real quote. My point (and I do have one) is Liam Hemsworth. You know damn well he's showing up in Avengers 2, and while I haven't heard anything about a Thor 3, I don't doubt its future existence for a second. No way Marvel or their Disney overlords throw lady Thor at the movie audience.

In conclusion, if this is main Marvel continuity, I give it two years, three at the outset. Ultimate universe, this might stick.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Kyber said:
Does this mean it's possible to retcon Jesus as a female? That could be interesting, she bleeds for your sins, every month.
I take offense to this, on so, so many lev- pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, I laughed for a solid minute.

Ahem.

This just seems...unnecessary? I mean...why? Ok, sure, Thor's a woman now, but why is the name the same? It's a masculine name. If it wasn't originally, then it's been made masculine by the fact that it's been the monicker of a burly blonde dude for the better part of a century.

I really don't think this is going to last...but imagine the R34. It's all for the R34, I'd wager.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Ha, awesome. No reason to restrict the title to guys; the hammer has always looked for the most worthy, it probably doesn't care about ya dick.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
OK, now I want to see male Wonder Woman. What? It will be a boy who amazons did not kill, but raised as one of them. It will be as pointless, as Thor gender-flipping. I feel more and more disgust towards modern media. Instead of making good stories they hang shiny things all around, and everything will end up with making Thor a guy again in a couple of years.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
The list of reasons why this is retarded is fairly substantial and varied.

Behold the irrelevance of a publicity stunt that will be undone in time for May's Avengers:Age Of Ultron!

Behold the irrelevance of the SIXTH female "Thor"!
(Thor Girl, Thordis, Thena, Torunn, Valkyrie)

Behold the irrelevance of the TENTH "replacement" "Thor"!
(+ Ragnarok, Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike, Thunderstrike II)

Behold the irrelevance of a female character created riding on the coattails of a major male character rather than being given the opportunity to be her own independently successful hero with her own self-sufficient story!

Behold the failure to bring Valkyrie (the Marvel Universe's most badass female Asgardian) into the spotlight!

Behold the failed opportunity to capitalize on Sif's recent surge in popularity!

Behold a character taking a non-transferable name! Thor's not a superhero identity! Thor Odinson is JUST THOR'S NAME. Protip: This is NOT Thor!

Behold the very definition of an ill-conceived character!

Behold the continued lack of a Ms. Marvel movie announcement!

MARVEL, I AM DISAPPOINT.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never really cared much for Thor anyway, but I don't really see why they had to genderbend an established character as opposed to just creating a new one, especially considering that you cant really just pass down the mantle of Thor, because unlike "Captain America" or "Iron Man", "Thor" is his actual name. It just seems like one big publicity stunt, like how they killed Brian off in Family Guy so that everybody would watch that episode, then simply bring him back alive again like nothing happened, and I feel like they are going to show us how He-Thor loses his powers, give the hammer to She-Thor, and then just have She-Thor just act like He-Thor but with boobs.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Rastrelly said:
end up with making Thor a guy again in a couple of years.
10 months, tops.
Thor will be back to normal in time for 'Avengers:Age Of Ultron' in May.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
BloodSquirrel said:
Rellik San said:
And not a dick for having an opinion, everyone has an opinion but a dick for being a whiny man-child pissing and moaning about funny books doing something different not because it's unusual or you have issue with the story or writing...
Except that people *DO* have problems with the story and writing, but asshole creators and their defenders ignore it and strawman it into being racist/sexist/homophobic/ablist/triggering/whatever-the-hell-you-call-people-who-don't-take-otherkin-seriously.

You know what other creative medium makes announcements like this? None of them. TV show runners don't announce their big plot twists ahead of time. Movie directors don't spoil their endings on fansites. Harry Potter's publisher didn't hang a giant "Snape kills Dumbledore!" sign on bookstores the day of the book's release. Comics, on the other hand, are so mired in this insipid pit of stunt writing that it's more important to them to push big announcements of stupid, poorly thought out events in their books than it is to let the story have any actual artistic merit. And now they've found out that they can get the most attention by doing stuff like this and then calling people bigots when they point out how transparently desperate for attention it is.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why people don't take comics seriously as a medium for adults.
You can't have a problem with the story and writing because no ones read it yet.

I'll agree the announcement method is scummy, I mean seriously? The View? that's like announcing a new Sex and the City movie at Comic Con, it's just confused and pointless, as for "stunt writing" no matter what Marvel did they'd get flack of the announcement, so announce it now and give people time to get over it.

The reason Comics aren't taken seriously and can't be treated like a grown up medium is because ostensibly, mainline Marvel books aren't a grown up medium, they are fanciful escapism for the young and old alike with a little social commentary and metaphor thrown in for those who want it. We aren't talking Maus, Sandman or Empowered here. We're talking drug PSA's, a little bit of the "world can be harsh and complicated" and a boat load of "but anyone can be the hero".

Comics are like books, some are serious, some are funny, some are clever and some are just a means of escapism, it doesn't take away from the quality of the medium at hand. A lot of this reeks of "I don't like where they are going with this so anyone who does is an asshole" and I admit my post comes across that way, because when I made it on that original site, I was dealing with assholes, but let's not pretend this is a social justice issue, in fact I went out of my way to point out that it isn't.

As for other media tipping their hand early: Are you so sure about that? Maybe a decade ago sure, but now, there's no way to keep story details from leaking, so you announce it yourself or you have "Ain't it Cool" spoil the announcement.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
So yeah good job not doing anything with Valkyrie or Sif and just making Thor a woman.

Because hey, the name is more important than the character right?

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
an article explains but in the mythology odin states that "whosoever can weild this hammer shall be worthy and be called thor" So if "thor" is deemed unworthy he will no longer be usin that name.

So it makes sense.

On topic this might be the revamp I need to get back into thor comics. I mean not that gender matters but when stuff like this happens they do other things that freshen the comic up and as I said in a previous post my old mainstays cap and thor have been boring for a minute now.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Rellik San said:
"It's pushing the feminist agenda," the feminist agenda, which is about up there with the gay agenda, liberal agenda and atheist agenda in levels of non-existent threats to you and your way of life.
Yeah, have to call bull**** on this one: it kind of is just a little bit of a threat to people, when it heavily influences legislation and may be a significant reason why someone loses opportunities in life, or experiences some form of harm.

e.g.
- Not being promoted despite being the most qualified person for a job, because of laws preventing the promotion of a man.
- The general lowering of standards for women in many areas so that they may succeed ahead of more capable men.
- The fact women can't be paid less than men, even though they have the right to stop working any time they please to have a child and receive benefits for doing so and cannot be demoted when returning to work, despite this obviously being a negative factor in someone's value as an employee, and men not having this right.
- Women and women only having the right not to become parents in case of pregnancy, even though it involves the complication of an actual medical procedure, compared to merely allowing men not to take on financial responsibility for something they never wanted in the first place.
- Women as a group receiving virtually all of the protection from domestic violence and virtually none of the blame, in spite of causing half of it and most of it when it's one-sided. Leads to people believing man-on-woman DV is more common, and a system that results in very little evidence required for suspicion/conviction of a man.
- Let's not even begin to discuss divorce.

All from a feminist agenda that we should apparently just ignore because it's insignificant and only trying (and succeeding) to convince governments to provide advantages for a group that hold those very governments' fates in their hands.

Not in a million years would any such gender privileges be even considered to be even discussed for men, no matter how it was packaged up or presented.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to ignore an extremist group that promotes the prioritization of the welfare of the majority of the people who elect governments, and have succeeded in enacting legislation which does just that to the detriment of the rest of the society, of which I am a part, essentially just because... "Oh, they're only women, let's ignore them because as we all know: women are no threat and have no influence in society because I say so and no I won't provided any form of evidence whatsoever for anything I say."

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
On the more relevant subject at hand though...

rbstewart7263 said:
an article explains but in the mythology odin states that "whosoever can weild this hammer shall be worthy and be called thor" So if "thor" is deemed unworthy he will no longer be usin that name.

So it makes sense.
That does seem to make sense.

Still, seems a bad idea to actually put that technicality into action though :/

Unless it's temporary, and just designed to garner attention...

...which it almost certainly is.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Rellik San said:
You can't have a problem with the story and writing because no ones read it yet.
False. The ability to smell crap without sticking your nose in it is a must-have skill. The entire point of releasing information about a story ahead of time is so that people will form an opinion on it. The marketer hopes that it is a positive one, but they've got no right to demand that it is.

Rellik San said:
I'll agree the announcement method is scummy, I mean seriously? The View? that's like announcing a new Sex and the City movie at Comic Con, it's just confused and pointless, as for "stunt writing" no matter what Marvel did they'd get flack of the announcement, so announce it now and give people time to get over it.
Or they could, you know, not announce it at all. That's what you do when you're not stunt writing. And if you find yourself in a situation where your audience needs time to "get over" your writing then it's probably time to get out of the business of writing. Again, what other medium regularly and knowingly does things so stupid that they need to announce them ahead of time to let the audience get used to how bad they are before the actual show/movie/book comes out?

Rellik San said:
The reason Comics aren't taken seriously and can't be treated like a grown up medium is because ostensibly, mainline Marvel books aren't a grown up medium, they are fanciful escapism for the young and old alike with a little social commentary and metaphor thrown in for those who want it. We aren't talking Maus, Sandman or Empowered here. We're talking drug PSA's, a little bit of the "world can be harsh and complicated" and a boat load of "but anyone can be the hero".

Comics are like books, some are serious, some are funny, some are clever and some are just a means of escapism, it doesn't take away from the quality of the medium at hand.
Escapism doesn't have to immature and awful. There have even been superhero comics that weren't. Hell, how many comics are even escapism anymore? One More Day sure as fuck wasn't. The Dark Knight and The Avengers have managed to get themselves taken seriously despite covering the same kind of material as their sources.

Comic books aren't taken seriously because the industry evolved to be ever more inward-facing, primarily concerned with appealing only to comic book fans, eventually having those fans be the ones to take over in Marvel and DC and bring a lot of awful fanboy tendencies with them. Instead of stories that are allowed to grow organically or have their direction planned out ahead of time we're constantly lurching from one big stunt to the next.

Rellik San said:
A lot of this reeks of "I don't like where they are going with this so anyone who does is an asshole" and I admit my post comes across that way, because when I made it on that original site, I was dealing with assholes, but let's not pretend this is a social justice issue, in fact I went out of my way to point out that it isn't.
They've been pretty transparent about the motivations behind this.

"The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Rellik San said:
As for other media tipping their hand early: Are you so sure about that? Maybe a decade ago sure, but now, there's no way to keep story details from leaking, so you announce it yourself or you have "Ain't it Cool" spoil the announcement.
Yes I'm sure. They're shooting a new Star Wars movie right now and there's been dick all announced about its story.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
GZGoten said:
Casual Shinji said:
This is a bit weird, because Thor is his name, right? I mean, it's not his superhero alias, like Spider-Man or Batman -- a title that could be passed on. Thor is Thor. He's a guy called Thor. It's kinda like making a female Judge Dredd besides the actual Dredd.

Not that I'm at all well versed in the world of comics, but this feels a bit off.
chances are he either starts going by Odinson. Also there is a female Judge Dredd... there's actually a bunch of them since they're basically cops in a future where life or death sentences are passed on immediately.
There's female Judges, but there's no female Dredd. Or at least no Female Judge Joe Dredd. They're not genderswapped versions of the character Judge Joe Dredd.

They're police officers, so Judge is the same as Officer in the real world.

Anyone else taking up the mantle of Judge becomes Judge...whatever their second name is. Judge Hershey, Judge Anderson, Judge Mcgruder etc. There could be a female Judge called "Judge Dredd", if Joe Dredd has children, but that would be because her second name is Dredd. That wouldn't make her, nor any of the other female Judges "female versions of Judge Dredd". Judge Joe Dredd is just one Judge on a force of Judges.

Judge Dredd just happens to be the focus character. Other characters are not gender swaps or immitations of him. Having this new woman being called Thor makes no sense, Thor is his NAME, his title is the only thing that can be passed on, which is The God(dess) of Thunder. Furthermore:

Finn and Fionna are the same /character/, but their gender has been swapped, the only difference is their biology and their sexuality. Judge Anderson isn't a genderswapped version of Judge Dredd, she's her own character, with her own backstory, personality and motivations. Judges are also a terrible comparison, because of their position as police officers, not superheroes who chose their names and where there's only one for example, Superman, but many Judges.

For a superhero example when Dick Greyson became Batman, he inherited the /title/ of Batman, but his name didn't change to Bruce Wayne, because that would be stupid and nonsensical.

NotRacist

Mar 17, 2014
Putting the politics aside...

What is the goal?

Seriously.

What is this supposed to do?
Am I supposed to be impressed?
Am I supposed to be more interested in buying a Thor comic?

Because... I'm not.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
OrokuSaki said:
Why does this keep happening to things that I like? Seriously? But leave Spider-Man alone
Too late, the Ultimate universe gender flipped Peter Parker some time ago. Technically (before the Now! reboot) Peter Parker is still alive in that universe along with Miles. This is old news but I'll spoil tag it to be polite for those who still may not know.

OT: My two cents, I'm disappointed. Lady Thor is a cheap move to me. Why? First, a lady thor already exists [http://www.marvel.com/universe/Thor_Girl](congrats on doing your homework writers. Honest congrats if this turns out to be her, sarcasm if not). Secondly, Marvel (and DC) is bursting to "the gills" with female characters but the powers that be don't have the aptitude and courage to use them.

What about Felicia Hardy(Black Cat)? Being augmented with the soldier serum, she is Steve Rogers equal. Maybe she should've been U.S. Agent instead creating a new male character for that role.

What of Tigra? White Tigress? Why not bring Ororo, Emma or Domino back to the forefront? A lot of girls were created during the X-Men Academy run, why not use any of those(like my fave' Surge)?

What of Psylocke? It doesn't get any better than an ethnic/racial-bent psychic ninja. One of my favorite characters and origin stories. (I'll admit it is a bit twisted)

More Black Widow can only help at this point.

Want more ethnic diversity like Kamala Khan(Ms. Marvel)? Bring back the Afghanistani Sooraya Qadir(Dust). Having a positive character from that region would be a big plus. Would be awesome to see more Elektra as well.

Even Jessica Danvers(Ms./Cptn Marvel) was tossed into obscurity before she was brought back decades later. Stop doing stuff like that. Also don't drop Yuri Watanabe, as the Wraith, into obscurity as well. A female detective using Mysterio's gear is pretty cool.

My rant is done but check this link out for more. Women of the Marvel-verse [http://marvel.com/universe/Category:Women]

a.k.a. "Jessica Drew". The character was named "Jessica" but when she woke up for the first time she acted like Peter's mind trapped in a girl's body. S/he rejected the idea of a female persona being forced on him/her.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
nope nope nope,

this is not how you attract women to comics!
Promote your female characters, make them more than the token female in the room,

don't slap boobs on Thor!