THQ Closes Homefront Studio

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
THQ: No, really! We're one of the big publishers! Look, we're closing down one of our game studios for no adequately explored reason! The other publishers do that, don't they?
Ha!

I can just see a group of businessmen very concerned that Activision and EA are far more unpopular than they are, and what can they do to 'fix' this.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:
They had 2 big shots with making a great game and ended up making the same game twice, Frontlines and Homefront are very similar, Homefront is like a refined version of Frontlines.

I kind of lost hope that this studio would bring something new to the table and apparently so did THQ. I wouldnt close them but I would get rid of them.
Wow, even when losing jobs people still will bring their hate to the table. People losing their jobs is a bad thing no matter what your opinion is toward them.

I'm relly sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they great ideas and original concepts. My feelings go out to the developers who lost their jobs.
What original ideas? seriously.
The opinions are towards their product not them. I can still be glad there wont be that particular team making a game again.
You may not like their game, but that doesn't mean that their company should be shut down and employees unable to pay the bills. Think of things from a different view other than just yours.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Irridium said:
Shame to hear. Best of luck to the people let go.

Andy Chalk said:
When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola?
Perhaps if you push 1 million units and still fail its a sign that your business practices are flawed in some way.

Games are costing more and more to make, but what is that money being put towards? Games seem to keep getting shorter, less complex, and less original. Yet the price to make them keeps rising.

What the fuck are they spending that money on?
I would have thought it was better graphics, advertisement and hiring big name voice actors- stuff like that.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Saucycardog said:
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:
They had 2 big shots with making a great game and ended up making the same game twice, Frontlines and Homefront are very similar, Homefront is like a refined version of Frontlines.

I kind of lost hope that this studio would bring something new to the table and apparently so did THQ. I wouldnt close them but I would get rid of them.
Wow, even when losing jobs people still will bring their hate to the table. People losing their jobs is a bad thing no matter what your opinion is toward them.

I'm relly sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they great ideas and original concepts. My feelings go out to the developers who lost their jobs.
The opinions are towards their product not them. I can still be glad there wont be that particular team making a game again.
You may not like their game, but that doesn't mean that their company should be shut down and employees unable to pay the bills. Think of things from a different view other than just yours.
Wait what? Yes it does. If you're a game studio that makes bad games, of course you should be shut down. What do you expect to happen to a carmaker that makes bad cars?

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

Wait what? Yes it does. If you're a game studio that makes bad games, of course you should be shut down. What do you expect to happen to a carmaker that makes bad cars?
Thank you. Additionally, being sad about them getting fired is fine. But saying that that magicly makes their product worthy is wrong. How do you expect games to ever improve if every pos that comes out gets a free pass?

Still waiting for those original ideas josemlopes.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Well I believe that a heavy metal band Nailbomb produced an album in the 90s, which has a title quite suited to this situation;

'Proud to Commit Commerical Suicide'

A bit overkill, but nevertheless a mistake in my opinion. Unless the studio has made a loss of many, many millions, I'd love to see how they remotely justify this. I wonder where all those Kaos and Digital Warrington employees will go THQ? Possibly to companies not called THQ?
Sure, if a studio isn't doing well, then that's a problem, but shutting them down sounds a really stupid/extreme idea, especially since you're losing talent who will likely join or form rival companies.

Anyway, best wishes to the staff at both places; I hope you don't end up as more depressing employment statistics.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

Yeah but it is your opinion that they make bad games, not everyone elses. Like my last post stated; it is your view that you think they make bad games, not everyone elses.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

Yeah but it is your opinion that they make bad games, not everyone elses. Like my last post stated; it is your view that you think they make bad games, not everyone elses.
Not at all, THQ obviously agree with me.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
bombadilillo said:
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

Um, well they got closed after mixed reviews and a backlash at the very short length. So its more then just a couple opinions. The game wasnt good enough. It wasnt good. So whatever you thought about it, they got closed. Wheres you arguement now? "Oh some people liked it, so why they close?" It was a bad.

Still waiting for those original ideas the game had...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Saucycardog said:
josemlopes said:

I dont hate Kaos, and closing the studio is definitely harsh, although I will continue with my opinion of not wanting to have further connections with them.
Although one thing that I would have had explored was having them create a PSN/XBLA game to let them do something diferent for once. If they proved themselfs worthy then they could have another try at a big budget project.

But that is only what I would do.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Not at all, THQ obviously agree with me.
Your being an obvious troll now. I'm done talking to you.
Really? Hes being a troll. Because he isnt crying about the developers of a poor game being punished for how it came out? You said...

Saucycardog said:
I'm relly sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they great ideas and original concepts.
...And we are still waiting for you to back up that comment. So the one making claims and refusing to back them up in any shape it you.

Dude. You said that he was wrong because not everyone thought it was bad. Welp the only people that really matter. THQ thought it was bad too so they got fired. So how is pointing out that being a troll?

Stop trying to win arguements by hinding behind your made up troll defense.

Now about those original ideas you were talking about?

My Name Is Brandon

May 7, 2011
As someone who is out of work, but diligently looking, I feel bad for the guys that lost their jobs. It's rough out there, seriously.

Side note, a fly just got stuck in a spiders web outside my window. Like I said, Rough.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mangue Surfer said:
They needed to sell 2M to simple make it even. At least that's the chitchat in the industry.
Bilson said the game had crossed into profitability when THQ announced the one-million mark.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Irridium said:
Shame to hear. Best of luck to the people let go.

Andy Chalk said:
When a studio can push over a million units less than two weeks after launch and end up shut down for its efforts, is it any wonder that most major-publisher releases these days are such derivative crapola?
Perhaps if you push 1 million units and still fail its a sign that your business practices are flawed in some way.

Games are costing more and more to make, but what is that money being put towards? Games seem to keep getting shorter, less complex, and less original. Yet the price to make them keeps rising.

What the fuck are they spending that money on?
Drugs and Poney Rides!