THQ Closes Homefront Studio

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Sorry, what's that Danny? I can't hear you with all that money and your own foot in your mouth.

Homefront was crap in my opinion but I wouldn't wish that kind of treatment on my enemies. Best wishes to all those guys for the future.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Mangue Surfer said:
They needed to sell 2M to simple make it even. At least that's the chitchat in the industry.
Bilson said the game had crossed into profitability when THQ announced the one-million mark.
In this day and age, you want at least 15% return on investment. Maybe the expectation is higher for the cows you specifically want to milk.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Not at all, THQ obviously agree with me.
Your being an obvious troll now. I'm done talking to you.
Sorry, they must have closed the studio down because of its history of making critically and commercially successful games

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Sorry, they must have closed the studio down because of its history of making critically and commercially successful games
Apparently if you don't agree with him = troll.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Rather a shame, I was looking forward to Kaos creating some interesting games with practice, and I've always found the concept of 'Six Days in Fallujah' interesting.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Furism said:
In this day and age, you want at least 15% return on investment. Maybe the expectation is higher for the cows you specifically want to milk.
Maybe, but Homefront is a brand-new IP. It brought middling reviews, pushed a couple million units sold and made a little money. In other words, it laid a foundation, which THQ apparently felt was worth two things: one, a sequel, and two, absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to the people who put it down.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Well that certainly sucks, I give my best wishes to all of those that lost their jobs. I don't really see why they closed down the studio. As far as I know, the game sold a decent amount of units and made a profit. It got decent yet somewhat mixed reviews (yes that 70/100 on meta critic is a GOOD THING), but I guess THQ is like all the other publishers in thinking that anything lower than an 80 on meta critic is a failure. But it still seems that they have hope in the franchise (it made a profit) since they're continuing it, but they just felt like firing the "failure" of a game studio that made it (it only got a 70 average). Thinking about it I think I see why they closed down the studio....and it's for a really stupid reason. Once again, I wish the best of luck to them.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
bombadilillo said:
YawningAngel said:
Saucycardog said:
YawningAngel said:
Apparently if you don't agree with him = troll.
No I don't think that at all. If he doesn't like the game then he has that right to do so. I just think that he was being midly abrupt in his way to express his opinion. I guess I got carried away before so I'm sorry about the troll insulting.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I guess they should not have tried a CoD clone, as people call it. I did like the general idea of the games story though, always did interest me, just not enough fora £40 sale, now they have closed down, I might be able to get the game cheap and second hand.

Andy Chalk said:
Best wishes for the future to everyone at Kaos and Digital Warrington.
Hear hear.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
So is THQ done telling us that all of our non positive opinions about Homefront are wrong?

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
They may not have been the best studio, but I'm always sad to hear of one closing down....dammit now I'm thinking about Pandemic again [small]I promised myself I wouldn't cry... [/small]

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
As long as they don't fuck with Volition or Yuke's, I have no reason to be annoyed about this. Sure it sucks for the guys working there, obviously. But in terms of getting the "damn it, I liked their games" thing? Not so much. Never played Homefront in any way.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Horny Ico said:
Saucycardog said:
I'm really sad by this news, homefront may have not been a excellent game but at least they had great ideas and original concepts. My feelings go out to the developers who lost their jobs.

In the minute or 2 I've seen of Homefront, the dialogue was painfully insulting to the point that it almost made me physically ill. I wanted the Koreans to win just because the protagonists are a bunch of stupid assholes. And I get the strong impression that everybody else has even better reasons to believe Kaos is full of talentless hacks to who don't deserve the families they feed.
I think he was trying to say that Homefront was a great concept, but it was executed poorly. I was pretty interested in it, but I didn't end up buying it because it turned of the reasons you just listed. It's kinda sad though, it had the potential to be a really good game.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so hold on, it basically happened like this:
THQ: "come to us, make a game, we're nice people"
Kaos: "Okay here's your game and 1,000,000 sales!"
THQ: "We don't need you, piss off. Your game didn't sell enough. But we will be using our guys to make sequels forever. Thanks for the formula for a selling game."

fuck THQ...

and yeah, like stated above, fuck with Volition, and we'll have a problem. I love me some Red Faction and Saint's Row.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Homefront was ok. It could of done more with Single Player. They could of kept it really short, but they never really gave me that "Yeah this is occupied American and shits going down" feeling. I had that feeling for the first half of the first mission after that it was just a shooter. Multiplayer was fun and kinda fresh, but it never held for long.

I'm quite impressed that it got that much attention. 1 million copies is pretty nice. I do think it's a good idea to give Homefront to another studio because they might be able to do better. On the other hand to close down a studio seems extreme. But that is the unfair and unjust world that we live in. So good luck to those who got booted.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
I would be sympathetic if the game wasn't the definition of FPS mediocrity. At least a bad game can enrich the gaming landscape by showing how not to make a game, a game like Homefront is just a waste of resources celebrated by painful cliche. I have sympathy for the workers, I have no sympathy for the studio.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
It's sad to hear, but unsurprising. Homefront was short, derivative and tried too damn hard to look mature. If you make a bad game, don't be surprised if you get shut down.

With that being said, good luck to those who lost their jobs and I hope you succeed in your future endeavors!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not surprised at all. Homefront was not that good at all. I had high hopes for the game when they started talking about an alternate reality where the US was invaded and such. But at the end, the game fell short and it was...well, incredibly short! It didn't even bring a single innovative element to the table; the plot is not enough to give this game popularity.

Something like Brink, which I see as a Killzone rip-off, brings some few elements and it's fun to play nonetheless. But Homefront? Well, when you compare it to CoD, which was the point all along, is not that good. Heck, it's not even close to Medal of Honor and, in my own humble opinion, is second best when it comes to FPS.

I always feel bad for the people who worked on the game so hard. Artists, developers, programmers, you name it. It's horrible to work on something for so long, try to turn it into a mind blowing title and then seeing it flop. And then get fired. That's the only reason why these are sad news.