Thundercats Reboot Writer Shows Off First Official Image

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
By the great Eye of Thundara what is wrong with you people!

Judging by this alone I can tell they butchered one of the greatest cartoons to ever run.

Lets start from the top left to right.

Why does Tygra have a gun? Seriously, why does he have a freakin gun? Tygra and Panthro both where the brains of the team, Tygra more tactile sense and enginering and Panthro scientific and building stuff. Tygra could turn invisible, invisible! He could fling out that bolo from anywhere, and it was very long btw, and take out a slew of guys with it. He has absolutly no need for a gun. Why would you even put a gun into a fantasy show? What made the ThunderCats so great is they beat foes that had technology with just their physical and mental prowess. And unless its liek a Stun laser its not liek he can just shoot mooks with it, its on toonami so it cant be too violent.

Only the Mutants had guns because Thundarians never really used weapons until Jaga gave them their armor and weapons. Speaking of which I have no problem with Lion-O's costume, but the rest WTF! Looks like they where reading 90's X-Force or something.

Panthro...Whats with the spiked gauntlets? Again not as if he can use it in battle. Also they couldnt give him another nunchaku? I always wondered why he didnt have two and now since he's bigger and meaner it makes sense. Speaking of that why does Panthro look like some kind of berserker? As if said before he was one of the more brainy types, still formidable in battle but smart as well. His style was more athletic and acrobatic than straight up strength(Though he did lift the Thunder-Tank one time) This style screams of the old "Big grumpy fighter guy thats really nice on the inside" troupe.

Now we come to Cheetara. Originally she was a badass babe, she had muscles, her costume showed off her well honed physic, and she was a real woman all grown up. This new B- looks like Cher from Clueless on Safari. She's supposed to be a grown woman. Really the only kids where the twins, and I never liked them, any change to the twins can only be an improvement. That and get rid of Snarf *shudders* Besides that all of them being grown was the point, all the grown Thundercats where their to advise Lion-O how to be the best Leader he could. How is Cheetara supposed to be a peer if she's younger than Lion-O? And whats with all the packs and pouches on her costume? She doesnt need sh-! Thats why she had a leotard cause she ran so fast she didnt want anything to slow her down and she could literally pul out her long staff out of thin air, no need for pockets. *Sigh and groan*

Speaking of Lion-O we round out our list. WTF happened to his hair? Looks like a cheap DBZ knockoff. Even young Lion-O from the first episode had better hair, and it wasnt all chopy either, it was fine more like, what do ya know, a LION's! Lion-O's hair was almost like a Lion-s mane, this new brat looks like he still plays in the litter box. And Why blue eyes? Lions do not have blue eyes. I honestly hope thats not his permanent look, I was thinking maybe he kinda hulks out when he calls "ThunderCats HO!" but no. In the picture the Sword of Omens is in its released form. How they going to work that anyway? Also why is he so young? Youthfull is ok, but damn he looks as old as 80's Lion-O did in the first episode. Not even 20ish he looks like 16 maybe.

Thank Jaga that Mumm-Ra is just about the same, one of the greatest cartoon villains.

So yeah, thanks Japanese studio for not doing your research and abandoning any sense of originality, and respect towards the source material when making this. I'll be sure to make this my mission to make sure this gets fixed. ASAP

I encourage any die-hard fans to join me, maybe we can get a petition going, protest CN studio's, something, anything, to fix this garbage.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not too shabby. Tygra and Panthro look pretty badass, and Cheetara kinda looks like the amazon character that lita Ford did the voice for in Brutal Legend. Lin-o has an ok design, he looks a little weird with less hair, and I wonder what Mumm-ra is gonna look like.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Batfred said:
"According to spokespersons for the channel, fans of the old show will enjoy it a great deal." Hmmm, like Knight Rider 2000 and every subsequent genertaion of Transformers? - I couldgo on of course, but I won't.
I am yet to be convinced. Also, what is it with the Japanese making all heroes either old and grizzled veterans or young impetuous teenagers. Have they ever heard of people in their mid to late twenties?
They're all too busy having weird sex and/or angsting about various dead relatives/entire societies.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I dont like, but i guess kids will.

Edit: How's Lion-O supposed to keep being the Lider if he's so fucking young?

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Batfred said:
"According to spokespersons for the channel, fans of the old show will enjoy it a great deal." Hmmm, like Knight Rider 2000 and every subsequent genertaion of Transformers? - I couldgo on of course, but I won't.
Does Beast Wars count as a 'generation'? Because that show rocked.
Hmmm, no it doesn't count. It was ok although I wasn't sure about the VR thing. I guess it was a sign of the times though, so not alltheir fault. I'm talking more about Armada and Ultimate etc.

Kyuubi Fanatic

Insane Fanboy
Feb 22, 2010
Wow, a reboot. I'm so looking forward to this, but if I don't hear the "Thunder" line somewhere in each episode it will be dead to me -_-

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Too Japanese anime based. AKA: It looks horrible in this manner.

Make it the dark, gritty, semi-futuristic, alien-earth, fantasy-esque show we had in the 1980's and we'll have positive aspects about it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
MikhailGH said:
josemlopes said:
At least it isnt like this.

I wasnt very into the show but still...
You're kidding me, thats the remake of the powerpuff girls? REALLY? WTF I gotta see that crazy shit :O
It isn't that bad. It is called Powerpuff Girls Z if it hasn't been mentioned yet.I caught a few eps years ago because I love PPG.

On topic

Squueeeeeee

Kittykittykittykittykitty

the reboot looks awesome from the pics. I hope they choose well when it comes to the voices. Steve Blum as Lion-O. Anyone else is unnacceptable.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Primus1985 said:
THANK YOU for taking all my thoughts and writing them out in that ridiculously long rhetoric! Too much excitement abounding this, and I felt my inner child die looking at that picture. Seriously, it just popped like a bloon!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
If this comes out right it will make us all very happy, if wrong no one will remember it in 20years // Until we know I shall be happyin my pants at the idea that it will be good

-M

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Roboto said:
Primus1985 said:
THANK YOU for taking all my thoughts and writing them out in that ridiculously long rhetoric! Too much excitement abounding this, and I felt my inner child die looking at that picture. Seriously, it just popped like a bloon!
Glad to see another diehard fan out there.

Lets get this protest started!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
josemlopes said:

What in gods name is that.
Shit this is reminding me of the Youtube video with all the Genndy style toons turned anime.

Ughh, painful.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Eleuthera said:
Cheetara and Tygra look fine, but I'm not too sure about Lion-O and Panthro. Lion-O is too young, and I prefer the old "no hair" Panthro to this new "I've gone bald" one.
are you lion-o should appear older? He really wasn't that old in the series to begin with, he was just a kid in the first episode.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Batfred said:
Also, what is it with the Japanese making all heroes either old and grizzled veterans or young impetuous teenagers. Have they ever heard of people in their mid to late twenties?
The people in their mid to late twenties ARE the old and grizzled veterans.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
josemlopes said:

What in gods name is that.
Shit this is reminding me of the Youtube video with all the Genndy style toons turned anime.

Ughh, painful.
Is it wrong that I actually like most of those? :p Heck, the other anime version of the Powerpuff Girls presented in this video looks a lot better than the Powerpuff Girls Z version.

Personally, though, I do not support Japanese "conversions" of Western cartoons simply beacuse I want Japanese animators to produce original content. If I wanted to watch The Powerpuff Girls, I would watch The Powerpuff Girls and not a Japanese replica. Just like if I wanted to watch Mobile Suit Gundam, I would watch Mobile Suit Gundam and not a Korean knockoff.

Speaking of The Powerpuff Girls, the funny thing is that Gainax ended up successfully replicating that kind of artstyle with its anime Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt....although the content itself is nowhere near kid-friendly (while this doesn't contain any outright nudity, this is still NOT SAFE FOR WORK):

JEBWrench said:
Batfred said:
Also, what is it with the Japanese making all heroes either old and grizzled veterans or young impetuous teenagers. Have they ever heard of people in their mid to late twenties?
The people in their mid to late twenties ARE the old and grizzled veterans.
Indeed. If anything, there is a serious lack of characters in their 40s and 50s. Most are either inexperienced teenagers, experienced young adults or really experienced elderly.

It almost seems like the Japanese don't like to think of the mid-life crisis. :p