Thundercats Reboot Writer Shows Off First Official Image

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Jfswift said:
are you lion-o should appear older? He really wasn't that old in the series to begin with, he was just a kid in the first episode.
I can't say I remember the first episode exactly, but he was generally a young adult, this one looks like he's 14. In my opinion of course.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
Am I the only one that's absolutely livid about this reboot? Seems every cartoon these days has to be some permutation of crappy, uninspired anime to get the green light. I understand why studios would prefer it, its ridiculously easy to make characters when they're all on a 20 year old template that's been simplified to the point of being an artistic abortion, but it makes me sad that everyone is so happy to see it go that way. Its even worse when I see it happen to something I liked so much as a child.

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
The most recent Scooby-Doo reboot is fantastic. Teen Titans got scrapped in favor of the far superior Young Justice. CN's Monday line-up in general is pretty amazing. I'm pretty much in love with Cartoon Network right now, so while I shudder to think that an old favorite is getting anime-ifyed, I trust CN's judgment that it will be a decent show.

Valencrow

Jul 8, 2010
After reading all the complaints about western cartoons being turned into anime I can say only one thing

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYUQ-FTIQTo ( NSFW but the name alone should tell you that.)

anyway im looking forward to a Thundercats reboot.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
hopefully this time they won't spend the entire animation budget on the opening theme.

Was hoping for a live-action movie, but this is pretty cool too

As long as they don't start rapping, I'm fine

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Primus1985 said:
Roboto said:
Primus1985 said:
By the great Eye of Thundara what is wrong with you people!
THANK YOU for taking all my thoughts and writing them out in that ridiculously long rhetoric! Too much excitement abounding this, and I felt my inner child die looking at that picture. Seriously, it just popped like a bloon!
Glad to see another diehard fan out there.

Lets get this protest started!
Actually watched it, and...

...not bad.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Primus1985 said:

Judging by this alone I can tell they butchered one of the greatest cartoons to ever run.

Lets start from the top left to right.

Why does Tygra have a gun? Seriously, why does he have a freakin gun? Tygra and Panthro both where the brains of the team, Tygra more tactile sense and enginering and Panthro scientific and building stuff. Tygra could turn invisible, invisible! He could fling out that bolo from anywhere, and it was very long btw, and take out a slew of guys with it. He has absolutly no need for a gun. Why would you even put a gun into a fantasy show? What made the ThunderCats so great is they beat foes that had technology with just their physical and mental prowess. And unless its liek a Stun laser its not liek he can just shoot mooks with it, its on toonami so it cant be too violent.

Only the Mutants had guns because Thundarians never really used weapons until Jaga gave them their armor and weapons. Speaking of which I have no problem with Lion-O's costume, but the rest WTF! Looks like they where reading 90's X-Force or something.

Panthro...Whats with the spiked gauntlets? Again not as if he can use it in battle. Also they couldnt give him another nunchaku? I always wondered why he didnt have two and now since he's bigger and meaner it makes sense. Speaking of that why does Panthro look like some kind of berserker? As if said before he was one of the more brainy types, still formidable in battle but smart as well. His style was more athletic and acrobatic than straight up strength(Though he did lift the Thunder-Tank one time) This style screams of the old "Big grumpy fighter guy thats really nice on the inside" troupe.

Now we come to Cheetara. Originally she was a badass babe, she had muscles, her costume showed off her well honed physic, and she was a real woman all grown up. This new B- looks like Cher from Clueless on Safari. She's supposed to be a grown woman. Really the only kids where the twins, and I never liked them, any change to the twins can only be an improvement. That and get rid of Snarf *shudders* Besides that all of them being grown was the point, all the grown Thundercats where their to advise Lion-O how to be the best Leader he could. How is Cheetara supposed to be a peer if she's younger than Lion-O? And whats with all the packs and pouches on her costume? She doesnt need sh-! Thats why she had a leotard cause she ran so fast she didnt want anything to slow her down and she could literally pul out her long staff out of thin air, no need for pockets. *Sigh and groan*

Speaking of Lion-O we round out our list. WTF happened to his hair? Looks like a cheap DBZ knockoff. Even young Lion-O from the first episode had better hair, and it wasnt all chopy either, it was fine more like, what do ya know, a LION's! Lion-O's hair was almost like a Lion-s mane, this new brat looks like he still plays in the litter box. And Why blue eyes? Lions do not have blue eyes. I honestly hope thats not his permanent look, I was thinking maybe he kinda hulks out when he calls "ThunderCats HO!" but no. In the picture the Sword of Omens is in its released form. How they going to work that anyway? Also why is he so young? Youthfull is ok, but damn he looks as old as 80's Lion-O did in the first episode. Not even 20ish he looks like 16 maybe.

Thank Jaga that Mumm-Ra is just about the same, one of the greatest cartoon villains.

So yeah, thanks Japanese studio for not doing your research and abandoning any sense of originality, and respect towards the source material when making this. I'll be sure to make this my mission to make sure this gets fixed. ASAP

I encourage any die-hard fans to join me, maybe we can get a petition going, protest CN studio's, something, anything, to fix this garbage.
So watched the two episode premiere and...

Roboto said:
Primus1985 said:
Roboto said:
Primus1985 said:
THANK YOU for taking all my thoughts and writing them out in that ridiculously long rhetoric! Too much excitement abounding this, and I felt my inner child die looking at that picture. Seriously, it just popped like a bloon!
Glad to see another diehard fan out there.

Lets get this protest started!
Actually watched it, and...

...not bad.
Not bad...bout sums it up. Wont set the world on fire.

I will admit I was mistaken about a few things. It was alot more violent then I expected, which is refreshing. They had a Magic vs Tech aspect going on in the second episode, which was cool to see Jaga as an actual badass speedster magician. However they threw away that aspect before you could even like it.

Cheetara was cool, when she actually had a line. Seriously she didnt get to fight much (at least as far as we knew atm) and she maybe spoke a handfull of words between two episodes. She even hid her true idenity for a brief time for some ungodly reason. She's not eye candy(although her cleave would suggest otherwise) she's supposed to be a badass veteran warrior. Still dont like her costume. Also in the original series she had physic powers she could use by spinning around really fast, though she didnt use it often I hope it gets in would be a good nod.

Panthro...Im not even going their, they just better give him a really badass fight to make up for his absence.

Tygra, ah Tygra. I hate how they changed his charecter, he's a whining douche instead of a tactical fighting genius. I can forgive him not being an engineer and not familiar with tech, Lion-O was the only one that belived in tech and he never got a big "I told you so!" moment. However he doesnt seem to be the same tactical genius as the original. He still has the same powers(in the original series it looked to be invisibility however it looked more like teleportation in this series since he always showed up behind someone) and his bolo works as well as ever. The laser pistol shouldnt be standard equip, in the one episode it was handy for one instance, shooting ropes, and thats it. Hell it was like I said he didnt/couldnt shoot anyone with it anyway so it should just be a throw-away. The Tygra I knew didnt need a gun.

The twins Kit(boy?) and Kat(girl?) are actually likeable. Kat can put people to sleep or like in a mellow calm with her flute and Kit is a pretty good pickpocket. They actually might be useful 0_0 I found myself wanting to see more of them.

Snarf is perfect. Half the original size, kinda cute, doesnt talk. I barley heard a "Snarf" he more like purred like a kitten. Most importantly he's practically invisible.

Lion-O...Im on the fence. At some times I can empathize and relate to him, but other times im like "Get a clue!" I guess that goes with his youth, but it was more ironic and played better in the original series when he was a 12yo mind in a full grown adult body. I belived they have green eyes for him in the series instead of the blue in the image, it fits.

I just hope it improves, and quickly.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Primus1985 said:
snip to end huge quote chain
Most of the problems you suggest have to do with exposition. Judging by how they pace the series, you couldn't have nearly the same amount of action or things happening if they included all that exposition up front. It'd be the Airbender movie. I can't say "I hope it improves quickly" because I like the pace it set and can only wait to see how they follow up.
Being a prequel, we haven't had the chance to see any "Oh, so this is why X is like that" moments yet. We can only wait.