Tim Schafer Raises $1.3 Million - Update Again

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
Seriously? Tim Schafer Point and Click. If there are five more beautiful words in the english language, I haven't heard them yet. 30$ from me in a freaking instant - honestly, I had to force myself to finish reading the article before rushing off to give them my money.

I do hope that publishers take note of this - niche doesn't need to mean "unprofitable". We WILL spend money if you give us quality. 1.1 mill in less than a day should prove that point nicely.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Y'know, if nothing else, this story just shows that publishers are dead wrong to assume that PC gamers are all asshole pirates out to get something for nothing. Clearly there are plenty of gamers out there who are willing to lay out their cash just to get a game in development.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
NightmareLuna said:
Ohlookit said:
I'm sure the worst thing for the guys at Double Fine now is waiting the 33days for the kickstarter to end& watching Tim go insane as the amount donated keeps going up&up&UP!
Darn that creeping insanity that stems from getting too many donations... A common problem nowadays right? Or maybe this is just because of Tim... He dah man!

I chipped in with $15 dollars, all I could afford atm but I say you go Tim!
It is a sad thing to see all these wonderful people go insane from getting to many Kickstarter donation. Think we need to get a Kickstarter going in aid of those who have gone insane from too many kickstarter donations.

-M

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
One million dollars in a day and a half for a medium sized studio for a game from a genre that is decidedly dead in the eyes of publishers.

That blows my mind. I can't help but wonder what Activision and EA think of this. Seriously, those two could make serious bank on just the promise of a game, not even the game itself. This business model could be pretty deadly in their hands.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Let's not fool ourselves here. This only works because it's Tim Schafer. If it was any other studio doing the same thing, they wouldn't even reach their goal after the full duration.

Not that I mind. I just wonder what they will do with all the additional money.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
thatstheguy said:
One million dollars in a day and a half for a medium sized studio for a game from a genre that is decidedly dead in the eyes of publishers.

That blows my mind. I can't help but wonder what Activision and EA think of this. Seriously, those two could make serious bank on just the promise of a game, not even the game itself. This business model could be pretty deadly in their hands.
The business model is about leveraging reputation and trustworthiness, into capital for game development.

Activision and EA have spent most of a decade destroying their reputation and making themselves completely untrustworthy. They are the Axis of Evil of the video game world. Would you chip in to Hitler's kickstarter project? I sure wouldn't.

Gwa ha ha, I am using the Godwins
Hitler Hitler Hitler

Davroth said:
Let's not fool ourselves here. This only works because it's Tim Schafer. If it was any other studio doing the same thing, they wouldn't even reach their goal after the full duration.

Not that I mind. I just wonder what they will do with all the additional money.
I don't know about that. I would support Obsidian, the guys doing Xenonauts, probably a gaggle of other smaller studios. If Codemasters promised to make me a new Overlord game I would definitely chip in.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Mother of god, if only I could raise that much overnight...

WELL NOW YOU CAN, YOU CAN MAKE THOUSANDS ONLINE SITTING AT HOME DOING NOTHING!!!111!1!!

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I dropped $250. I WANT THAT POSTER. MAKE ALL THE HOURS I HAVE BEEN WORKING MEAN SOMETHING.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
I really wish I posted more meme images, so I would have this on hand, but, shut up and take my money.

Tim bloody Schafer, making a damn point and click adventure game? To top it all off he is doing a documentary of it? Please, someone after me have the shut up and take my money picture handy, because, damn.

Not to mention, between you, me, and the internet? The idea of cutting out the publisher is the best thing I have ever heard. EA, et al., wants to treat us like thieves with DLC and DRM, let's just cut out the middle man and fund our own damn games.

Apr 29, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I certainly approve of the pace of donations for Tim! I don't have any money to spare but I will be very interested to hear where this goes.
If there was a pace, it would be comprehensible. This is not. This is beyond that. And it is quite awesome.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
asacatman said:
It's great and all, but...don't think it would be better if the million pounds or whatever went to charity, or something? Rather than an adventure game for rich americans? Ah, well, I guess it's like any entertainment product. I pay money for other games...Still, it seems a little off.
Who says that these people aren't giving money to charity.
It's a good cause, but people don't have to spent every single penny on it.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
It's nice to see that gamers revere these hallmark names enough to drop money on the spot. Tim Schafer, Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, Tim Cain, Will Wright, Chris Sawyer and so many others can have this type of funding at a whim.

While publishers have been hoarding franchises and studios over the years, they have always pushed away these key people. Now it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
As of this post it's a little over 1.2M, so about 3 times the initial amount. I am curious to see how high it rises.

EDIT: oh and Notch tweeted this which made me laugh

Best business plan ever: http://i.imgur.com/LFspv.jpg (source: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/piy44/so_thats_how_it_went/)

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
Davroth said:
In fairness, Tim Schafer has earned the right to have us throw our money at him. Its not like he's getting cash because he's famous, he's getting cash because he makes awesome products that the market is starving for. Point and Click is an underserved genre (although Steam has done a bit to change that) and Schafer is a proven talent in that realm.

However, you have a point here - but I think this model could be expanded to be useful to unproven developers. For example, they could release a short demo, or a pack of writing and concept art, or a demonstration of a game mechanic (or insert other creative way to show your talent) for free and then run a kickstarter to fund the full project. Schafer gets to skip this step because he's already proven himself, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work for anyone else.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
nto sure about the most funded ones, but ia gree its fast. in comparison AVGN raised 2,5 million in a month.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
*laughs out loud* Hellyes! The power of Community over straight mindet Publishers. *laughs even harder*

Sweet tears of Joy! <3

Hope they will bring it for PC as well. o.o