Tim Schafer Raises $1.3 Million - Update Again

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Congratulations. That is quite an achievement you have there.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
anonymity88 said:
Crazy to think that a point and click adventure game would need more than 1 million to get off the ground.
It didn't. They asked for 400,000 which was doubled in a little over half a day and more than tripled before two days. I think the rest is all about gamer enthusiasm (a good thing) and curiosity as to how far the number can go. Not saying the pace will remain like this for the duration of the Kickstarter period, but if the current numbers are any indication, the final tally could very well be well beyond Guinness-worthy.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Pledged: $30 - Worth it for the behind the scenes HD footage. I think anyone with dreams to work in the games industry should watch the videos as long as they remain faithful - This is how games are made.

I have a lot of respect for Tim, his games and the idea behind this.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
$40

Been waiting for this game for a while. Hopefully well see psychonauts 2 at some point too, and hopefully Tim will give some more love to the PC platform now (we're not dead yet Tim!).

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Called it.

Well, not this, but the method used to get the money:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.336886-Lawyer-Destroys-Arguments-for-Game-Piracy?page=21#13668796

I suggested that instead of paying for a single copy of a game to pay the devs for their work, you pay the devs directly to fund the game, which then would be devolped based on the amount of money funded, then released for free.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I would absolutely throw money at this... if I had any left.

Apparently three million gets us Grim Fandango 2.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Holy crap. A video game being made without funding from publishers?

A total Radiohead of videogame right there...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Jabberwock xeno said:
Called it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.336886-Lawyer-Destroys-Arguments-for-Game-Piracy?page=21#13668796

I suggested that instead of paying for a single copy of a game to pay the devs for their work, you pay the devs directly to fund the game, which then would be devolped based on the amount of money funded, then released for free.
But in your quote, you said that it was probably infeasible, if not worse than our current situation. Unless you were predicting that you were wrong in your first prediction...

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
weirdguy said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Called it.

But in your quote, you said that it was probably infeasible, if not worse than our current situation. Unless you were predicting that you were wrong in your first prediction...
I meant more on the large scale of the entire industry doing it.

It's certainyl feasible for certain devs that have large or loyal fanbases, such as mojang, double fine, valve, bungie, etc, but not for the majority.

That, and i'm not dissapointed that my prediction of people not donating to things was wrong :p

djmegamike

Dec 20, 2009
Okay, I'm confused. The point and click adventure game they are asking funding for isn't Psychonaughts 2....is it?

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
fieryshadowcard said:
anonymity88 said:
Crazy to think that a point and click adventure game would need more than 1 million to get off the ground.
It didn't. They asked for 400,000 which was doubled in a little over half a day and more than tripled before two days. I think the rest is all about gamer enthusiasm (a good thing) and curiosity as to how far the number can go. Not saying the pace will remain like this for the duration of the Kickstarter period, but if the current numbers are any indication, the final tally could very well be well beyond Guinness-worthy.
Ahh ok. Well either way its mind-blowing. ;D

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
djmegamike said:
Okay, I'm confused. The point and click adventure game they are asking funding for isn't Psychonaughts 2....is it?
No, it's not. The whole "Will Notch fund Psychonauts 2?" thing is a separate story. I believe the timing is more or less a coincidence.

As some people have mentioned, while this could revolutionize how games get funded in the future, it's still not quite feasible to fund a AAA game like Psychonauts through this means. Even if it is (and I guess it might be possible), this is a different project.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
So, got a response back from a Double Fine Team-member on Kickstarter regarding if the posters are going to be individually signed rather than printed off a signed master copy:

They will be individually signed!
That's the $250 dollar one mind you, which is pledged out at 900 people.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
GothmogII said:
So, got a response back from a Double Fine Team-member on Kickstarter regarding if the posters are going to be individually signed rather than printed off a signed master copy:

They will be individually signed!
That's the $250 dollar one mind you, which is pledged out at 900 people.
That's going to be one well earned hand cramp right there.