TIME top 5 games of the year

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Well I certainly have a vastly different view then the guy[sub]dolt[/sub] that put together this list. I can't really criticize Alan Wake as I never played it but I would definitely disagree with Galaxy 2 and Halo Reach.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
ShadowPuppet said:
That list is utter horseshit. the only reasonable contender on there is RDR.
I agree. IN all honesty these are opinions, I guess, but of all of those games RDR stands monolithically above for a slew of reasons that seem pretty undeniable.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Having played only one of those games and enjoying it rather soundly, I must agree. I love you Red Dead Redemption <3

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I hope theyer just trollin.

If they seriously think those are the best, they need to rethink theyer ideals on video games.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
What the hell? Heavy Rain. God of War III. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. My top three of the year, so far. It's been a dry year for me though...

And as for Angry Birds, there are a lot more worthy iOS games. Examples include but are not limited to Battle Bears -1, Zenonia (Well, it originally came out last year, but has seen releases on other platforms this year.), and Pix'n Rush. All of which are more original and more fun than Angry Birds.

Though I have to give props to TIME for trying.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Where's the Mass Effect 2? Didn't that come out this year? I disapprove of this list.

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
1. Most zombie DLC > Alan Wake
2. Almost anything > Angry birds
3. RDR should have been #1 but alright
4. COD > Halo
5. SMG2 alright I guess if your into that sort of thing.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
KEM10 said:
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
You forgot the other 5
6: Limbo
7: Super Meat Boy
8: Super Street Fighter IV
9: Starcraft II
10: Mass Effect 2
Aaand here's why general interest magazines shouldn't try to talk about games. It looks like the guy who wrote the list played like twelve random games in the whole year and made a list of them in no particular order. Alan Wake and Angry Birds just don't belong on that list, ME2 should be way higher, Heavy Rain should definitely be in the top five (it's GOTY as far as I'm concerned, but 5 is a minimum). And Super Street Fighter 4? Isn't that a special edition of a 2009 game?

Seriously, what the fuck?

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Really...based on what? Sales?

I disagree. Most recently I tried getting into red ded redemption. Founf it to be glitchy and the controls pretty loose.

And if we include iphone games...what about computer games? I hear Starcraft was an epic success. Angry birds...a teched out cannonball game? Thats like having a motion control pong getting second place. Whats next, centipede using kinects getting top honours?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Crazyjay said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Crazyjay said:
I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
I agree with the complete opposite of you, actually, well except Red Dead.

However, I don't trust Time very much anymore anyways. Have you seen their "Person of the Year" list? How do Lady Gaga and the Nobel Peace Prize winner get on the same list for ANYTHING?
Yea most of their lists i disagree with, including this one, but Time usually makes list on whats popular, not what is exactly good.

When i say its not a bad list, I mean its not a bad list for Time. They can't play every game that comes out, and the ones they do they can't play very long. I think to them, Alan Wake is something new and interesting, it has easy game mechanics to get a hang of and enough depth to keep a person interested. Most games this year have been old games updated with new features (ME2,GoW3,RDR,SC2,etc.) To Time, it probably feels like a fresh and original game.
Ok. That makes sense. Perhaps, but Reach was on there, along with Mario- The last game on the face of the Earth that would be considered fresh.

Sparkytheyetti

Jul 24, 2009
TIME didn't print an article on diabetes or cancer in that issue? HOLY CRAP they moved on to something else! No wonder the list sucks.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
All lists like this will be idiotic by necessity. There just isn't any criteria to judge every single game released in a year outside of the most general way.

Glad Heavy Rain wasn't mentioned though.