Times when games impacted you more than you expected.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, I was thinking about the games that had the most personal impact on me, and wondered about how others had might have had similar experiences. Mostly referring to games that you didn't expect to be so powerful, either because you bought it on a whim, or just were expecting X, but got Y, and Y blew your mind.

For me, the strongest example, was the original Homeworld game. I remember the experience vividly. I had been playing a lot of EQ at the time, and had just deactivated my account due to stress and other factors. At that time, I was working 3rd shift, so it was like 2am, and I was without an activity to pass the next several hours before I went to bed. I was pacing around my house, and decided to go to the local Wal-mart and see what they had for sale in the electronics section. I was browsing through the racks, nothing really catching my eye, and then I saw the box art for Homeworld. The Mothership, suspended in a field of stars, with the little ships around it. I remember picking it up and looking at it thinking. "Huh, an RTS in space. That....might be interesting. Not a huge fan of RTS but, hey why not, it's on sale so I won't be losing much if it's a dud of a game." Bought it, went home, took out the instruction manual for it (yep, back in those days), and went to the bathroom for some light reading while I handled business. I proceeded to sit on the toilet for well past the required time, because the narrative backstory for the game, as it was written in the manual, felt more like a short story novella, than just a "how to play the game". I was instantly intrigued, and installed the game.

From the opening sequence I was hooked. With it's stillframe storytelling of the situation, the ambient, ominous music in the background, and the gravely voice of the narrator, setting up the stage of this beleaguered planet of nomads, being united in a purpose of expanding beyond their inhospitable planet, just all of it. Then it cuts to the test launch of the Mothership, and the panning camera sequence, while Adagio for Strings (with choral accompaniment) played, it just...REALLY hit me. The mood the devs were going for, felt incredibly awe-inspiring, for me at least. Now I'm a sucker for space/scifi stuff, especially stories of a people uniting and trying to improve and expand into the stars, in a positive nature. That's just narrative crack for me. Couple that, with the game setting the player up as the Fleet Commander, who's basically in charge of the expedition, meaning I'm responsible for the lives of the people I'm controlling, that's an even bigger level of personal investment for me. So I was already deeply hooked into this game, and I was totally on board with shepherding these people into the stars. Then you do the first jump, to test the hyperdrive, and suddenly find yourself off course. Then the camera angle cuts to an outside POV, and it's from the viewpoint of some unknown squad of ships, and you see them approaching something, and it's the Mothership, and I remember having anxiety of that. It was a really well done, and instantly set up a feeling of immediate threat. Not to mention I didn't really have a sufficient squadron of my own to handle the attackers, so I felt unprepared and exposed. Plus the music became very intense, further heightening the mood for me. I dealt with that mission, baby's first combat scenario, and transitioned back to the planet for debriefing.

You load, into the camera focused directly on the northern polar cap (where all the civilizations still live) completely on fire. Every bit of it. You float, helpless in space, watching the planet, and everyone alive on it, burn. You suddenly find yourselves as the last remnants of your people, instead of an exploratory group being sent out like a seed into the winds. And then you get notification that the cryotrays with hundreds of thousands of your people (the last ones aside from the crew of the ship of course) are under attack.

Now, as I stated above, putting me in charge of taking care of people in your game, really quick way to get emotional investment out of me. Telling me that hundreds of thousands of helpless, sleeping people are being attacked, that's how you get me to burn our badguys to the ground. I was 100% on board to taking out those squads, with no mercy. The mission has you fighting off the enemy fleet, while you try and load the trays onto the ship before they are destroyed.

And I found myself noticing that in the span of 2 missions, I had had multiple, genuine emotional responses to the game, and what it was trying to invest me in. And very few games had ever accomplished that. It was a really wonderful experience for me as a gamer, to not just be playing the game, but to actually be emotionally invested in the events going on. And that has become my true metric for what I consider my favorite games of all time. Did it hit me emotionally? If no, it's probably just a standard game, not to be remembered.

Homeworld Cataclysm, an often forgotten entry in the franchise, but a much better followup than HW: 2 in my opinion. I won't go into lenghts on why I love that one even more than HW:1, but it's just as good in a lot of ways, and better in others.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Undertale. I kinda enjoyed the game initially it didn't really grab me, it wasn't till about half way through when things really clicked and it became one of the most touching games I had ever played and continued that way right to the end.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Playing Infamous for the first time and getting to the start of the third act where Trish gets killed. I honestly didn't give much of a shit about this character or her relationship with Cole, but when she died I felt surprising bad about it and it kind of hung over the rest of the game like a depressive cloud.

Also, goddammit, remaster those games already Sony.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I remember being very invested in the characters of the Mass Effect trilogy that when it ended so shitty it felt not unlike what GoT fans felt in Season 8 or any Star Wars fan for the latest trilogy - just why? If you didn't have an ending in mind why did you make this? Why didn't you get better writers? There wasn't a rush, you could have worked on it longer.

Just a depression cloud that to this day makes it hard for me to get invested in character driven stories 'cause there's always that niggling doubt the writers didn't know how to end it.

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
I learned english because of video games (and pirated movies and Lost, because I used to make my own subtitles). Growing up I enjoyed RTS, RPG and adventure games like Full Throttle or Grim Fandango, and not knowing what I was doing was frustating. I'm sure I still make a lot of mistakes, I don't know a single thing about english grammar, but I'm happy with my "achievement". Now with localized games, the first thing I do is change the language back to english, because having menus and subtitles in my native language feels weird. Imagine playing Age of Empires and not understanding what the priest was saying only to learn that Wololo means... nothing. Wololo...

-

When I went to the moon in Mass Effect and I saw the earth, I remember it was like 4am and I had been playing for hours, I thought it was an amazing view. I just saw a video of it now and there's nothing special about it lol. I built a pretty good gaming PC for the time and it was my first time playing a game with a decent graphics card. In fact, Mass Effect was one of the first "real games" I played in a long time. I spent many years playing nothing but racing games and MMORPGs, so yeah I was very invested in it. Then space kid happened and I created an account on the escapist to ***** about the ending.

-

Soldat. I don't know if Soldat is still around, but for a game that looks like complete shit, it was a lot of fun when I played it with my MMO friends back in 2002~2005, easily one of my favorite multiplayer experiences.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Devil May Cry - I knew most of the series was good, but I was always on and off with it until DMC4. After completing all of the difficulty levels in 4, I went back to 3 & 1 to complete the harder difficulties. I kept getting better, started doing more juggles and jump cancel combos. The fact I can still pull off a majority of the tough combos in 3 says a lot. Looking all the YT combo vids back in the day helped too.

Bloody Roar Series - Aside from Street Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur, I've spent way more time in a fighting game then I had realized. I really have to thank Bloody Roar 2, as it had one of the better story modes for fighting games during the PS1 era. Primal Fury still the best game in the series, but 2 had the better story mode.

Ikaruga - My first introduction and favorite bullet hell shooter of all time. White and black polarity. Simple mechanics, yet hard to master. I did not even know it was a sequel until looking online almost a year later after first buying it on GC back in 2003.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kinda sad that I can't actually think of a story driven game that genuinely impacted me... I'm not the type who goes looking for that kind of thing, it's always been gameplay first for me.

I guess the closest would be Battlefield 4. It wasn't the first FPS game I've played online, but it was the first I had been able to play with my actual friends. And oddly enough, just playing with a group of friends actually improved my own gameplay. For the first time, I actually got excited for a video game. I'd sit up straight on my coach, sometimes I'd just stand in front of the TV to see better. It was a good summer. Played pretty much every night til our PS+ subscriptions expired. Whenever I think about the good times, that's what comes up. Braving enemy fire to revive my squadmates even though we'd most likely just die again right after. Chasing after tanks in booby trapped jeeps, laughing our asses off once we got blown to pieces. As an introvert, it was one of the few times I never felt lonely. And one of the reasons why I still hope to one day get a gaming PC. How much more we could have enjoyed if pay to play online wasn't a thing.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I remember being very invested in the characters of the Mass Effect trilogy that when it ended so shitty it felt not unlike what GoT fans felt in Season 8 or any Star Wars fan for the latest trilogy - just why? If you didn't have an ending in mind why did you make this? Why didn't you get better writers? There wasn't a rush, you could have worked on it longer.

Just a depression cloud that to this day makes it hard for me to get invested in character driven stories 'cause there's always that niggling doubt the writers didn't know how to end it.
Way I hear it they did have an ending, which was tying into all the dark energy plot points from Haestrom in Mass Effect 2. But then some reprobate leaked it, and in a move I find understandable but in the long run was deeply unwise, the ending was rewritten to what was presented.

Unless of course that was just rumour.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, there were

the first Sid Meiers Civilisation which at the time pretty much expanded the boundaries of what could be done with video games.

and

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, which was my first contact with proper roleplaying games and let me to discover tabletop RPGs.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Two games: The Darkness and INSIDE. I’ve spoken of both games a ton on these forums, so I will again.

Picked up The Darkness on a whim for $5 in a bargain bin at GameStop, and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the 360/PS3 generation. The relationship between Jackie and Jenny was so expertly realized, it remains one of my fondest and most bittersweet videogaming memories. It’s the only videogame that made me cry. Also it was gory and violent as hell.

And INSIDE ruined videogames for me. For a short, indy title, I’ve never been so amazed by a game in my life. You can tell it was a labor of love from a developer (Playdead) who genuinely loves their craft. Once I hit the “Shockwave” chapter, I was literally breathless; I had to put the controller down and just take in the melancholy, ambient music and the ominous booming behind it… When I finished that game, it was stuck in my head for weeks. I replayed it about 20 times.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Little Red Lie and Actual Sunlight: playing the walking sims made me reflect as a person and seeing how much of a chud I was for liking weeb games thanks to an article and subsequent tweet from Vice who talked about pessimistic games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Little Red Lie and Actual Sunlight: playing the walking sims made me reflect as a person and seeing how much of a chud I was for liking weeb games thanks to an article and subsequent tweet from Vice who talked about pessimistic games.
Dude, don't be too hard on yourself. Like what you like. Yeah, there is nothing wrong with self reflection, but just because of a few crappy games (Unless you played alot of the crappy ones. Even then, I don't care and would not judge for something as silly as that), does not mean I would give up anime or anime style games altogether. I love the ones I love, and ones I don't, I do not fret over. All you're doing taking a form of looking down on something and placing it somewhere

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dude, don't be too hard on yourself. Like what you like. Yeah, there is nothing wrong with self reflection, but just because of a few crappy games (Unless you played alot of the crappy ones. Even then, I don't care and would not judge for something as silly as that), does not mean I would give up anime or anime style games altogether. I love the ones I love, and ones I don't, I do not fret over. All you're doing taking a form of looking down on something and placing it somewhere
Yeah, I like things like Gods of Egypt, the Assassin's Creed film, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and a number of other things that drive current nerds rabid with frothing rage. And my answer to all that? Fuck em, I don't care what they think about what I like.

Like what you like. The rest can fuck right off if they have a problem with it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some short and sweet examples -

Castlevania IV for visuals and soundtrack. Symphony of the Night echoes the latter.

Shadowrun on SNES for the premise, tone, themes, etc. It felt so mature next to most of what Nintendo would ever have.

Super Mario 64 with the freedom of moving through and interacting within a 3D environment. Still waiting for that next level of something revolutionary. Maybe Half Life: Alyx is in that realm but I haven’t played it.

Waverace 64 for being the first game to do water physics so convincingly.

Blastcorps for making destruction fun. I can only imagine how awesome a remake of this game could be.

Conquer’s Bad Fur Day for its mature, comical humor, and in a Nintendo game no less.

Mortal Kombat for its incredible cast of characters and helping push videogame violence into mainstream acceptance.

Killer Instinct for its insane combos and flashy style that blew me away as a kid.

Final Fantasy 7/8 for the narrative presentation and music. Never before read a book or watched a movie that could stir me up as much emotionally.

Silent Hill for the capacity to instill dread and an unsettling horror atmosphere.

MGS1-4 for always doing unique, surprising things with gameplay, design and presentation, beyond anything else at the time.

Half Life 2 for its approach to interactive narrative being merged within gameplay.

Crysis for its immersion of making a highly detailed sandbox that makes you feel like a super soldier, even if still a very vulnerable one.

Killzone 2 for its presentation and attention to detail as far as making it feel like the enemies you’re shooting were more than polygons. Impeccable audio design and the hit responses made every bullet shot feel satisfying.

God of War 3 for the titans. First time it felt right interacting with (and on) massive characters that were basically levels themselves. Like Shadow of the Colossus but much bigger and flashier at the expense of wonderfully nuanced physics and traversal mechanics.

Dark SoulsBorne for its level design, atmosphere and environmental storytelling. Also teaching the value of patience, planning and persistence in games. The one that started it for me though was Demon’s Souls. The deliberate nature of combat and how every hit felt like it took effort and had weight drew me in. I’m a sucker for Havok physics too.

The Last of Us for making melee combat feel appropriately exerting and impactful, and making being chased feel thrilling. Part 2 really outdid the original in conveying a frantic sense of desperation and intensity during its set pieces like escaping the subway, the truck, ground zero, etc. It’s too bad those moments are too few and far between.

Horizon: Zero Dawn for its machines. Really, it’s ironic that Kojima went on to make a game on GG’s Decima Engine after he quit Metal Gear, because Horizon’s machines completely show what could have been done there. I wonder if that was part of the reason Kojima got interested in using it.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance for its immersive design. Take crafting for instance; most games have you simply press a button, or maybe select ingredients first ala Witcher on higher difficulties. Not KCD. No, here you have to learn to read before you can even understand the recipe, then read the ingredients and cooking instructions, then prepare them efficiently because time is a factor for if it’s successful or not (ie have ingredient x ground and set aside in a bowl beforehand), then understand how the still functions in order to cook it properly, then finally brew it. Thankfully these can all be auto brewed once enough experience is gained.

Red Dead: Redemption 2 for its exceptionally detailed world and ability to make you feel like you could be there in your character’s shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Last i can think of Is Iconoclasts.

A lot of heavy stuff goes down, and all of it is affecting. I mean, its been months and I'm still thinking about it.

Particularly Agent Black. She's probably the character who tries the hardest to kill you through the entire game, but ultimately you realise shes had such a horrible existence, and how your family figured into taking away the one thing that could have made her happy, you get why she hates you so much, even if you personally haven't actually wronged her. (Seriously, Elro you dumbass, you f***ed everything up. Repeatedly.)

Particularly tragic is how it looks like you might be able to talk her down, except an ally says exactly the wrong thing at the wrong moment , and then has the gall to say 'she deserved it' after your forced to finish her.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Far Cry 2. It's like the video game equivalent of being locked in a cupboard with a packet of cigarettes you have to smoke to get out. I was so sick of killing people by the end of the game.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Jade Empire. It's rare for me to play a game that makes me feel so actively crap about having my character be evil in a particular playthrough, but that game did so quite well. I didn't even have to wait for the end, either. What made me feel bad first was discovering that, by giving a minor character a painkiller instead of an actual healing herb, I inadvertently caused her death later on in a "disaster dominoes" way was quite...unnerving.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Bio shock Infinite - the scene with the finger. I played it while I was on paternity leave so that was timed perfectly

Far Cry 3 - burning the crops. Only one of two games that have ever made me feel like a badass. The other was Far Cry 5 during an mission with helicopters and planes warring above me while I sniped invading troops.

That Depression webgame. I actually made me feel lonely through just basic pixels

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Life is Strange, chapter 1. Stopping Kate Marsh from committing suicide felt really, really good. Kate was a nice character, who got done proper dirty in the first chapter by like every bastard - even the player if you cock up your responses to her - so getting off that ledge felt to me as big a victory as retaking Rannoch or curing the Genophage in Mass Effect 3

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That is what Disco Elysium helps me remain averse to anime games. I have been using the Thought Cabinet as self assurance mantras for self improvement. Thoughts like Wasteland of Reality and Inexplicable Feminist Agenda helps paint a picture of how improve one's self against hedonist pursuit in trying times