Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why are all the Kingdom Hearts ports coming for Switch, cloud versions? I understand why 3 would but surely KH1 and the DS and PSP games are capable of being played on the Switch without needing to be online
Square does not want to spend the đź’°, even though they can more than afford 4 times over. It's the same problem Capcom had with its Mega Man Legacy Collection and Mega Man X Legacy Collection. Only one half is on a chip cartridge, the other half is a digital download only.

Edit: The Bayonetta double pack suffered from a similar problem. The Switch version has the second game on cartridge, but the first game was a download code only. This does not even make sense, as this is way before the pandemic and Nintendo could more than afford it. You had physical versions on the Wii U of both games, you can do the same for the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't weird that lot of the stages and places in Street Fighter don't take place in the streets? Nor are almost none of the fighters pure street fighters. Only Cody Travers (Final Fight, SFA3/SFZ3, SFIV & V) is a pure street fighter. The streetiest fighter in the entire cast. The only other actual fighter listed as street fighting style is Birdie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Max pointed this out in his KOF XV review, but Japanese fighting games devs need to put way more content in to their games to make them last longer. Gives us more than online vs., training, tutortial, arcade mode, or seasons/roster updates. A lot of these games acts as if they were ported straight from the arcade with little to no features. What's worse, is that some Japanese developers like Capcom and Namco already solved this problem back in the PS1 and PS2 era. Midway/Nether Realm became the golden standard around MK9. Yet tried all the way back with MK: Deception and its bonus content.

Capcom at least tried fixing their mess by adding plenty of new content and daily challenge updates by SFV Arcade & Champion Edition. Namco gave Tekken 7 bowling mode and nothing else. Why remove features that have been standard in Tekken 2 or 3? Why did you guys remove Tekken Force?! Where is Tekken Beach Ball? You had all of this rich content in either the previous games or in Tag Tournament! Make you games last longer! Not everyone is going to be online constantly.

Even Nintendo gets this right, and manages to trump nearly everyone with Smash Bros, starting with Melee. It only kept growing over the years, and now Ultimate has all of these content rich features from either the get go, or as an update.

SNK and Arc System suffer from this the most in lack of content. Step up your game, people! If you're charging top dollar, in addition to season passes, put some goddamn content in your game! The casuals you want so much, will drop you at some point! Not all of them will come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I was reminded today that Chrono cross gave all the recruitable characters thier own accent. All 40 of them..... using text since it was a PS1 game.

Apparently its pretty awful at times
I had a flashback to my youth reading the 'Redwall' series of books and attempting to decipher Mole Speech.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The collection is not out yet, but I find it odd that Turtles in Time (SNES) won't have online functionality, but the TinT (Arcade) and Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) will. I'm a big Genesis fan (and happy its getting online play), but even I find it odd the SNES version is not getting it. I know there are going to be complaints popping up soon over this. Tournament Fighters (SNES) will have online play, but that makes sense.

**Titles with online functionality -TMNT (Arcade), TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade), TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, TMNT Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The collection is not out yet, but I find it odd that Turtles in Time (SNES) won't have online functionality, but the TinT (Arcade) and Hyperstone Heist (Genesis). I'm a big Genesis fan (and happy its getting online play), but even find it odd, the SNES version is not getting it. I know there are going to be complaints popping up soon over this. Tournament Fighters (SNES) will have online play, but that makes sense.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Especially weird to me since I think that the SNES version is the best version of that game. So Hyperstone Heist getting it but not TMNT4 just doesn't make any sense to me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In Eastward, characters constantly make reference to John's moustache, calling him Mr. Stache or commenting on his moustache... HE DOESN'T HAVE A MOUSTACHE!

Edit by me.

Different thing entirely.

According to Eastward devs

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
In Eastward, characters constantly make reference to John's moustache, calling him Mr. Stache or commenting on his moustache... HE DOESN'T HAVE A MOUSTACHE!

Different thing entirely.

According to Eastward devs
?????????????????? Uhhhhhh.... No, he has a mustache. You can have both a beard and a mustache at the same time ya know and he clearly has a mustache with a beard. Having a beard and a mustache doesn't mean the mustache is just considered part of the beard.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
?????????????????? Uhhhhhh.... No, he has a mustache. You can have both a beard and a mustache at the same time ya know and he clearly has a mustache with a beard. Having a beard and a mustache doesn't mean the mustache is just considered part of the beard.
No. It becomes part of the beard. If you say "Hey, look at the man with the moustache!" nobody will look at the man with the beard and understand what you mean.

Development and care
Moustaches can be tended through shaving the hair of the chin and cheeks, preventing it from becoming a full beard. A variety of tools have been developed for the care of moustaches, including safety razors, moustache wax, moustache nets, moustache brushes, moustache combs and moustache scissors.

A beard is the hair that grows on the jaw, chin, upper lip, lower lip, cheeks, and neck of humans and some non-human animals.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
No. It becomes part of the beard. If you say "Hey, look at the man with the moustache!" nobody will look at the man with the beard and understand what you mean.

I don't care what sites say about this. Side burns are also referred to as something distinct from a mustache or beard but they can also connect to the beard. Mustache, side burns, beard, all are separate parts that can make up one whole but even when combined are distinct parts.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't care what sites say about this.
Well, if you don't care about being wrong...

Side burns are also referred to as something distinct from a mustache or beard but they can also connect to the beard. Mustache, side burns, beard, all are separate parts that can make up one whole but even when combined are distinct parts.
What about a goatee? Where does that fit into your facial hair classification scheme? Is it just a moustache with a very tiny beard?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, getting this thread back on topic. I don't like how health work for characters in Curse of the Moon 2. The gunner guy has way too low of a health pool. He might as well have three or four dots by his name and call it a day. Cuz that's all the hits he's going to take whenever you use him. You only can bring him out when you absolutely need to. Otherwise he's a waste of a life and a checkpoint. Also, this game has the worst way to do replay value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Sound propagation interacting with AI in video games needs serious work. I'm prowling through a high-rise apartment building in 7 Days to Die, and fire a suppressed MP5 in a bedroom. The sleeping zombie across the room doesn't hear it- but the active zombie four floors down and outside gets aggroed by it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Visceral attacks in Bloodborne. Sure, they look kinda cool the first few times, but they don't have any variety unlike the backstab and riposte animations that vary between weapon types in the Dark Souls games, or even Wolf's takedowns in Sekiro to a lesser extent. Just giant hand in chest, then out of chest with a lot of blood.