Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Enemies in games that are said to use echolocation and are excuses for stealth sections.
The funny thing is, normal guards in stealth games seem to have the most sensitive and selective hearing ever, since all it takes is for you to land one step on a tile floor for every last one of them to know A) you're an intruder and B) exactly where you are, even though there's a dozen of them tromping around the place.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Enemies in games that are said to use echolocation and are excuses for stealth sections. Like, this thing can hear so well it can tell where things are by the reflections in soundwaves, but the protagonist is somehow clomping past them in loud boots and they don't notice. It's weird how frequently this is used in games. It should be nearly impossible to sneak past something like that, heck I can't even take a step without my cat instantly figuring out where I am.
Just play Metroid Dread if you want to see a subversion of this. The EMMI are annoyingly accurate with their hearing.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Recently played two loot-based modern RPGs who both lack the most basic b1tch Quality-of-life 'Compare stats with current equipment' option. Not naming and shaming, though they do rhyme with 'Bodfall' and 'The Outer Murlds' and should bloody well know better by now. And I guess it's not even in demand by the fanbase cause none of the patches addressed it, so I'm most likely the asshole in this situation, but come on...Kingdoms of Amalur is like a century old now and does a far more user-friendly job so I don't have to memorise a thousand fecking numbers while swapping between menu screens! Bloody Amateurs!

Pfff, he's such a noob to not get house slippers with +1 sneakiness.
And that's not even touching the metagame of thick winter socks where your slide stat A+ scales with other already equiped sneakiness 😎

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The last third of the original Crysis game just bothers me entirely. It's not fun, and you're constantly fighting damage sponge enemies. It's such an annoyance, that I didn't even bother finishing the game. I stopped and went straight to Crysis 2.
To add to this, the helicopter sssssuuuuuuuccccckkkkkssssssss in Crysis. A majority of them seem to know where you are, even if you're in cloak mode and have been standing still the entire time. I am so glad they got nerfed in the sequels (rarely appear in 3), and mainly show up in scripted sequences. One chopper acts as a boss fight in Crysis 2, so I'll take that over the helicopters in the first game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really bothered, but really noticeable. Remedy has a habit now of making these teleporting/hyperspeed running enemies that go all over the place. It started with Alan Wake, and has crept up in two of their other games. Hopefully with the Alan Wake sequel, they'll dial it back a huge notch.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Not really bothered, but really noticeable. Remedy has a habit now of making these teleporting/hyperspeed running enemies that go all over the place. It started with Alan Wake, and has crept up in two of their other games. Hopefully with the Alan Wake sequel, they'll dial it back a huge notch.
What specifically about them do you dislike? Or rather, why is it that their teleporting/hyperspeed irks you so much compared to the other enemies in the games?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What specifically about them do you dislike? Or rather, why is it that their teleporting/hyper-speed irks you so much compared to the other enemies in the games?
My problem is mainly overuse of that enemy type. After the Tela-Flanker, every time Remedy brings this enemy type back, they are less interesting and less threatening. The guys in the Cronon suits (Quantum Break) are interesting, but they're not that challenging, even on the hardest mode. Whatever the hell they are in Control, they're even weaker for what I've heard. They're not that much of a threat. And those things aren't supposed to be human either or used to be. Each incarnation type gets less interesting.

Last edited:

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Grinding the French cruiser line in World of Warships. Now, it plays free and loose (and generally rather unashamedly so) with historic (post-)dreadnought-era naval combat and while CV gameplay bothers me big time, that's a major detail.

A 'minor' detail is dispersion, which is a lateral ellipse, while in reality it should be longitudinal. Granted, this takes away a fair bit from the player experience of scoring a kill after bitchslapping the flat broadside of an enemy ship and savouring in the explosion. But still...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shadows of the Damned has unskippable cut-scenes, no NG+, and you can't really backtrack. So if you missed any possible upgrades, too bad, you're not getting them. What's worse is that sometimes it is hard to tell what is the mandatory path, and what is the side path. The game is fun, but there is not much to go back to after beating the game twice. Another problem is achievements don't stack. Beating hard mode does not unlock the achievement for beating Normal nor Easy either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kaze and the Wild Mask unfortunately does thing where the boss fights have long, drawn out phases, and have these annoying obstacles with wind physics. I am current stuck on the 2nd world boss, and I rage quit. I might not be coming back for a while.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Levels that are too long. I got Wrath: 'Aeons of Ruin' and its gameplay its pretty great, it should be, its made on a modified quake 2 engine, but its levels are just too long. It takes almost an hour if not longer to get through a level in the game and there aren't really natural stops during the levels. They could be cut in half, or even 3rds and it would make the game feel less like a chore. Doesn't help that a few of the stages look rather samey so its easy to get kinda lost.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
How people eat in Witcher 3 cut scenes.

- Ciri and the girl she saves from wolves eating a stew at the Bloody Baron's house with their hands. I know they're very hungry and tired, but they would still use a spoon ffs.
- The only thing Geralt eats are apples, including at a lavish buffest style banquet during a wealthy auction in the Heart of Stone heist quest. And the animation looks weird.

Reactions: Kwak

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Levels that are too long. I got Wrath: 'Aeons of Ruin' and its gameplay its pretty great, it should be, its made on a modified quake 2 engine, but its levels are just too long. It takes almost an hour if not longer to get through a level in the game and there aren't really natural stops during the levels. They could be cut in half, or even 3rds and it would make the game feel less like a chore. Doesn't help that a few of the stages look rather samey so its easy to get kinda lost.
Have you ever played Celeste? The final level is like 8 hours long, at least. It's nearly as long as the entire rest of the game combined.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
SInce I'm back on the Zelda train and watching Zelda videos and such, I was reminded of the first Zelda game I ever placed, which was Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. I didn't beat it until years and years later and despite it's PTSD inducing difficulty, it does leave an impression just how unlike the other Zelda games it is. In general is the whole structure, where you're given a bunch of crystals in a box and told to go find 6 palaces across the land and put the crystals in special statues at the end of each one, only then can you go to the great palace. It's outright stated in the manual that the king was the one that had all these palaces set up so nobody could get in which feels like something very different in comparison to everything else.

But that's not what gets me. What gets me is that Hyrule looks so fucking different in Zelda 2 then like every other game in the entire series. While pretty much everyone other version of Hyrule is either landlocked or has ocean off to the side somewhere, Hyrule in Zelda 2 has a fucking ocean bisecting it and there's like no explanation for this at all in the lore or anything else because there are no sequels to Zelda 2 chronologically speaking. Ironically, having a new continent does show up in a much later game....Spirit Tracks, where they found a new contient after Hyrule got flooded.

Even wierder because there's a very plausible argument to be made that BOTW has elements of all 3 timelines so when they said "It's at the end", they meant at the end of all timelines which makes the bisected Hyrule even more unexplained.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The "platforming" in Doom 64. Why Midway didn't just make a jump button is beyond me. The modern ports mitigate this by allowing you to customize your auto run, but it's still tedious. This is one of the few times when sticking to tradition bit someone in the ass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But that's not what gets me. What gets me is that Hyrule looks so fucking different in Zelda 2 then like every other game in the entire series. While pretty much everyone other version of Hyrule is either landlocked or has ocean off to the side somewhere, Hyrule in Zelda 2 has a fucking ocean bisecting it and there's like no explanation for this at all in the lore or anything else because there are no sequels to Zelda 2 chronologically speaking. Ironically, having a new continent does show up in a much later game....Spirit Tracks, where they found a new contient after Hyrule got flooded.

Even wierder because there's a very plausible argument to be made that BOTW has elements of all 3 timelines so when they said "It's at the end", they meant at the end of all timelines which makes the bisected Hyrule even more unexplained.
I know constant retcons have happened, but I thought Zelda II was the end of the timeline. Every other game is a prequel, a prequel to the prequel, or a prequel to the prequel's prequel prequel. Or a spin-off/side story, alternate universe, or all of the above.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I know constant retcons have happened, but I thought Zelda II was the end of the timeline. Every other game is a prequel, a prequel to the prequel, or a prequel to the prequel's prequel prequel. Or a spin-off/side story, alternate universe, or all of the above.
Technically it is the end of the downfall timeline(AKA the timeline where Nintendo seems to shove all the games that can't easily be fit anywhere else) but BOTW wierdly has stuff from all 3 timelines either shown or referenced which means somehow BOTW is at the end of all 3(this has not been explained). Or to put it more simply: BOTW is at "THE END" of the timeline(s) but Zelda 2 is at the end of the downfall timeline officially.

Yeah, it is really confusing. I mean, Zelda 1 and 2 being weird is because they predate like 90% of the lore other games established but the retcons still make it all look really wierd. (For example, The gorons and gerudo don't exist until OoT thus they're never mentioned in the previous 4 games, but with the timeline schinagians it implies the gerudo and gorons don't exist anymore in the downfall timeline because implied genocide or something).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Shoehorning the Zelda franchise into a timeline at all, much less a branching meta verse, was a massive narrative mistake. I know they wanted Skyward Sword to be The Beginning, but the way Ninty went about it only made the franchise crystallized and stagnant.