Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
While I completely understand the limitations of the time and how difficult it would be to balance it out, it still sucks that you don't get to fight all four Lords of the Elements at once for your final confrontation with them in Final Fantasy 4. Sure you have the boss relay, but I would've loved to see what kind of fight you could get if you combined them together somehow.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Asura's Wrath trying to end the story on a sequel hook. It did not work, and Episode IV became DLC to finish the story. The game should not have done that in the first place. Capcom should have just released these chapters episodically, and later make a physicals version like they did with Revelations 2. They need to re-release this game on modern hardware, with all of the DLC on the disc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Quantum Break's live action episodes. They suck. They're underbudget, the action looks like shit, and everything about it is inconsequential with only small subtle changes most of the time. All that money could have been built for a longer campaign, more enemy variety, and better level design and mechanics. 3 years, and that's the best you could come up with involving time travel?

Even on the ONE X enhancements, the game still has screen tearing issues during certain cut-scenes. They're not that bad, but it's weirdly distracting and makes me wonder what the console really enhanced.

Rare Replay does not have customizable controls for a lot of the old games. Why? This is not too much of a problem, but I do not like how they set the controls for Battletoads Arcade. The bottom A button is for attack, and B is for jump. I prefer having my jump button be on the bottom, damn it! I can get used to it, but it's stupid they never bothered putting in a standard feature or patching it in.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Quantum Break's live action episodes. They suck. They're underbudget, the action looks like shit, and everything about it is inconsequential with only small subtle changes most of the time. All that money could have been built for a longer campaign, more enemy variety, and better level design and mechanics. 3 years, and that's the best you could come up with involving time travel?
I've yet to hear anyone say the Live Action stuff in Quatum break added anything of value. It's like someone on Staff was a big fan of The Wire and decided why not get some of the big actors from The Wire to do a much worse tv show within a game that doesn't need a tv show in it.

Aiden Gillen and Lance Reddick deserve better for sure.

Oh Wait, now I know. Because Max Payne, Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake had their own Show within a game going on and apparently they had to do it here too, except it was cute when it was some silly little Twin Peaks homage in Max Payne that you could ignore if you wanted to. It's apparently a lot less cute when it's just pointless and sucks up a bunch of game resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've yet to hear anyone say the Live Action stuff in Quatum break added anything of value.
Other than Easy Allies and some other professional critics, no one else bothered to defend these segments.

It's like someone on Staff was a big fan of The Wire and decided why not get some of the big actors from The Wire to do a much worse tv show within a game that doesn't need a tv show in it.
Not only The Wire, but Fringe. Quantum Break is literally Fringe: The Game. Funny enough, I never once watched the show, not counting outside promotions and commericals.
Oh Wait, now I know. Because Max Payne, Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake had their own Show within a game going on and apparently they had to do it here too, except it was cute when it was some silly little Twin Peaks homage in Max Payne that you could ignore if you wanted to. It's apparently a lot less cute when it's just pointless and sucks up a bunch of game resources.
Correct. I hope Remedy learned their lesson from this, and dial it way back with Alan Wake II. Given the tone of the teaser trailer, the game is going to be much more darker and serious. They're going in on hard horror. Fine by me.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not only The Wire, but Fringe. Quantum Break is literally Fringe: The Game. Funny enough, I never once watched the show, not counting outside promotions and commericals.
I didn't consider Fringe but that works a lot more since it does have a lot of weird sci-fi stuff much like Quatum Break does, though Fringe has a lot of goofy shit kinda running alongside the horror stuff and the kooky sci-fi stuff. But Lance Reddick is a big part of Fringe. yeah.

It's wierd that I'm a big fan of Fringe but I've yet to bring myself to buy Quantum Break.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't consider Fringe but that works a lot more since it does have a lot of weird sci-fi stuff much like Quatum Break does, though Fringe has a lot of goofy shit kinda running alongside the horror stuff and the kooky sci-fi stuff. But Lance Reddick is a big part of Fringe. yeah.

It's wierd that I'm a big fan of Fringe but I've yet to bring myself to buy Quantum Break.
At most places, you can find Quantum Break $6-15 used. Between $15-20 new. At this point, you shouldn't spend no more than $10 to $15. If you decide to pick up the game.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The way the Sky Flyer works in Ape Escape 2. Ape Escape 2 has some general small weirdness with its controls but the Sky Flyer was the one that really bothered me. It was so fun to use in the first game but there's something about the wind up with it in the second that makes it feel bad to use, like it feels slow or the actual height you gain isn't as much as you would think looking at it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah. But my gripe is more with how far its gone and not just demons, but other fantastical beings. I understand why it's done in most cases, people are trying to humanize things, make sentient people's more relatable but this goes too far when the way one makes a people more relatable is to make them almost indistinguishable from you.

It is my belief that truly admirable empathy comes not from seeing someone as just like yourself but seeing that just because they are different doesn't mean they are bad or wrong. It's far more powerful to see people overcome large differences than it is to see petty squabbling over trivial things, I see enough of that in real life.
I forgot to mention this, but you might like Star Versus The Forces Of Evil. It has really cool monster and demon designs, and there is even a racism angle going on. Unfortunately the story is not done well, but you can at least appluade them for attempting to try. It's not that it's done super poorly, but it doesn't get enough attention as it should in certain parts, and there's a lot of character derailing, or just making most of the main cast unlikable. But most of the supporting monster and demon characters come off fine though. If you have already seen it, then say no more.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That actually sounds pretty interesting, to be honest. Kind of like what Haze also tried to do, though apparently Haze wasn't very good and that's why it's barely remembered. To be fair, I only remember it exists because I was a big fan of unskippable back in ye olde days of the escapist(Thank god it's been archived on youtube).

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
That actually sounds pretty interesting, to be honest. Kind of like what Haze also tried to do, though apparently Haze wasn't very good and that's why it's barely remembered. To be fair, I only remember it exists because I was a big fan of unskippable back in ye olde days of the escapist(Thank god it's been archived on youtube).

Whereas I was mostly reminded that Haze existed through this video:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Whereas I was mostly reminded that Haze existed through this video:

I remember when Haze got all that hype over the year, before it released. Then the reviews came in and it turned out to just be another Halo/military clone that didn't know what it wanted to be. Before Call of Duty 4, if a game wasn't trying to be Gears of War, it was trying to be Halo, both, or all 3 after 2007.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I remember when Haze got all that hype over the year, before it released. Then the reviews came in and it turned out to just be another Halo/military clone that didn't know what it wanted to be. Before Call of Duty 4, if a game wasn't trying to be years war, it was trying to be Halo, both, or all 3 after 2007.
Yep. Yet another lesson about how, if your primary design goal for a game is to "beat (insert genre leader here)", you're building on a foundation of clay.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yep. Yet another lesson about how, if your primary design goal for a game is to "beat (insert genre leader here)", you're building on a foundation of clay.
Ironically also the primary color palette of games from that era. Although I’ll give credit to Haze for adding some vegetation, even if the whole thing did look…well, hazy.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ironically also the primary color palette of games from that era. Although I’ll give credit to Haze for adding some vegetation, even if the whole thing did look…well, hazy.
That's something I brought up during Hidden's stream, "Hey look, the game is at least as advertised."

I also thought they should have had "Nector" be the blood of some eldritch old god that's slowly enslaving humanity and that you're hearing it's voice when you suffer from withdrawal.

I could go for a story like that right now... Fantastical things corrupting and enslaving through indirect, almost mundane, ways.