Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Agreed. There's pretty much no way you've be able to remake it and have it work. It has it's charm the way it is that would be otherwise missing. I want to say the same thing about the Ghostbuster movies from the 80's compared to the two recent ones, but I haven't seen the recent ones.
Plus if they remade it, who’d replace Cyndi Lauper? Oyeyeayeayea….Oyeyeayeayeayeaaaa!

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Plus if they remade it, who’d replace Cyndi Lauper? Oyeyeayeayea….Oyeyeayeayeayeaaaa!
That song is stuck in my head now,.

Thanks Hansel.

I'd post another 80's ear worm but that would also get stuck in my head so I'd be playing myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
It bugs me that in Nioh and Nioh 2 when you sheath your sword(s) the animation doesn’t really show them go into the scabbard. They slide down right along side the scabbard then kinda clip/melt/phase sideways into the scabbard.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That song is stuck in my head now,.

Thanks Hansel.

I'd post another 80's ear worm but that would also get stuck in my head so I'd be playing myself.
Me too. But I work in a radio station. Our 70's and 80's station came up a little short to reach the end of last hour... so I plugged in some Lauper. Good Enough was out of their rotation though, so I made due with She Bop. That's how I get songs out of my head, I make everyone listening... listen to them. We have 4 music stations here, so it works for me in a decent number of genres.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So here's one from Elden Ring which is usually listed in the tiny details that you love list.

So the game adopted the system from Sekiro where if someone's stance broken they have a big orange shiny mark in the area where you can critical them and I loved that in Sekiro...but only some enemies have that and others don't in Elden Ring, which has caused me to miss a critical hit on more than one occasion. I don't get why they'd only have this show on some enemies and not others.

Most of em are thankfully smaller mobs but there was this golden rider boss early into the game (yes I fought him as soon as I ran into him with barley any upgrades and no Torrent, which I assume would make the fight a lot easier) and I tried to critical him from every which angle but it would never work. I love how the game rewards you landing charged two handed attacks by crumpling enemies in like 3 hits but to miss out on your critical after you've gone through all that trouble feels extra bad. I had to resort to just using the wild strikes weapon art every time I crumpled the rider in order to defeat him because I just couldn't figure out how to critical him. (on a side-note that art feels broken, it ups your poise to ungodly levels, I legit walked into the fire hurricane of the first major boss's attacks and soaked like 2-3 hits as I hit him while he was covered in flames to beat him lol, the dps on that thing when done on a 2handed greatsword is pretty great too)

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So here's one from Elden Ring which is usually listed in the tiny details that you love list.

So the game adopted the system from Sekiro where if someone's stance broken they have a big orange shiny mark in the area where you can critical them and I loved that in Sekiro...but only some enemies have that and others don't in Elden Ring, which has caused me to miss a critical hit on more than one occasion. I don't get why they'd only have this show on some enemies and not others.

Most of em are thankfully smaller mobs but there was this golden rider boss early into the game (yes I fought him as soon as I ran into him with barley any upgrades and no Torrent, which I assume would make the fight a lot easier) and I tried to critical him from every which angle but it would never work. I love how the game rewards you landing charged two handed attacks by crumpling enemies in like 3 hits but to miss out on your critical after you've gone through all that trouble feels extra bad. I had to resort to just using the wild strikes weapon art every time I crumpled the rider in order to defeat him because I just couldn't figure out how to critical him. (on a side-note that art feels broken, it ups your poise to ungodly levels, I legit walked into the fire hurricane of the first major boss's attacks and soaked like 2-3 hits as I hit him while he was covered in flames to beat him lol, the dps on that thing when done on a 2handed greatsword is pretty great too)

I had that too but apparently some enemies cannot be riposted.

Others can, and that works like past games by just standing in front and R1’ing, but only the bigger bosses have the orange marker as a guide for where they’re vulnerable. In this case it might have to do with the rider and horse being treated as a single unit by the game, so perhaps it didn't mesh well. There are other riders who can be dismounted and treated like normal ground enemies.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I've probably mentioned this before and maybe it's me being a military buff(and former military), but I get annoyed when media gets really simple details wrong. Wrong Rank that doesn't match a characters uniform, wrong terminology used within the context of the story, etc. Shit you could easily get right by doing cursory research.

So Expeditions: Rome gets one of those, despite trying very hard to get the Roman military stuff correct most of the time. At the end of the first Act, there's a big Finale where you're trying to take down the enemy leader in a fortified city, and lead a multi-pronged ASSAULT against the enemy positions that brings the whole thing up into something like 4 parts. The battle itself is actually quite nicely done(ie one team stages a frontal assault to get the enemy's attention while another team sneaks over the walls and starts destroying the catapults that are zeroed in on bridge the rest of the army has to cross to enter the city) but the thing that annoys me is that it's referred to a SIEGE.

And for those who don't understand what the difference is, while an ASSAULT is an active attempt to take a fortified position(such as a castle or fortress), whereas a SIEGE is basically surrounding said position, cutting off all supply and waiting those inside to either give up or starve. Sieges aren't sexy, they're long and boring for everyone(though the people inside get to enjoy watching their food slowly run out) but it's very safe for the attacker because then they don't risk getting their forces chewed up trying to breach or get over a series of walls, but for some reason media loves to use the term SIEGE when it's actually an ASSAULT.

Also, along a different tack, the game, set around 70 BCE, introduces Greek Fire as an ancient form of incendiary grenade to use on the battlefield, mostly meant to be used against Roman Soldiers(but you can capture some for yourself). Unfortunately, it's about 700 years too early, first having been introduced in the 7th century CE, by the Byzantines(or as they would call themselves, the Romans). So way too early and by the wrong faction to boot. There's fudging the dates and then there's pulling in an invention from a different era entirely(not unlike if Leonardo Da Vinci somehow invented the gatling gun in fiction because he'd done some sketches of a volley fire guns IRL)

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I had that too but apparently some enemies cannot be riposted.

Others can, and that works like past games by just standing in front and R1’ing, but only the bigger bosses have the orange marker as a guide for where they’re vulnerable. In this case it might have to do with the rider and horse being treated as a single unit by the game, so perhaps it didn't mesh well. There are other riders who can be dismounted and treated like normal ground enemies.
Yeah I fought this other guy who looked like a ghost rider and his mount was covered in some form of cloth who you could unseat and then do the standard downed critical attack, and in that fight I noticed his own mount having a health bar too unlike the golden rider. Thing is it's not just the bosses, like those giant trolls who have weak legs or the t-rex looking dogs in the red sky area (holy fuck is that a nightmarish place btw, I randomly got trapped and ended up there and I felt like I was back in bloodborne's hellscapes lol), they are normal enemies but they get the shiny mark too. It may just be giant-enemies-only.

Also man having a horse in a fight vs dragons is so convenient, you can jump over the lingering flame carpet and dodge it for free. Torrent is a good boy.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
While watching a let's play of STRAY, I spotted the substitution cipher used for the game's text. So I though, why not crack the cipher, it shouldn't be too difficult...

On the one hand, I like how most of the early signs that guide the player around are for a bar, lounge, and/or cafe. Gives the place's past an identity.

On the other hand, it also made me acutely aware that some of the cafe signs (the one with three coffee cups near the top) are flipped to have the arrow pointing the other way. As in, instead of just rotating the cafe sign (because you can do that with these kinds of sidewalk signs IRL) the level designer mirrored the entire sign, text and all.

You can see it during the chase sequence in The Dead City. Which to be fair, is when players are unlikely to see such a tiny, insignificant detail.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cruis'n has padding I don't like. To play the harder difficulties, you have to get all gold medals for all events. While there is some nice additional content, most of the racetracks are the same, just harder. It also shows that Raw Thrills just needed to port an arcade game, because they were running short on money because of covid at the time. Not a problem in of itself, but they definitely should have added a more racetracks and made it easier to unlock them.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cowabunga Collection not putting Turtles in Time (SNES) for online co-op. I like Hyperstone Heist, but if I have to choose between the two, then the SNES version would be my go to option. Why not both? They're able to put both arcade games and TFS (SNES), so it should not take that much time and effort.

Speaking of HH, it feels like a glorified ROM Hack kids or their parents had to pay for. The game works, but you can tell where they reused old assets, while having some news ones. Why no Fly Form of Baxter Stockman? Rocksteady, but no Bebop?! Either put him in another stage or have a dual boss fight a la TMNT Arcade or TiT (SNES)! Stage 4 could have used any characters other than a lazy boss rush and not the human form of Baxter from the first arcade game! Or better yet, just done a regular port of the SNES version. There would have still been some downgrades, but it would have been better than the final product.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bad footstep sounds in games. Like when the types of footware/lack of don't make the right sounds with the terrain you are walking on. I forget what game it was but I played one awhile back where even barefoot it sounded like you were wearing boots, there are others that have it so it sounds like a paved street and gravel sound the same. Or games where your foot falls are entirely too loud.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Every game where you can move upwards should make the climb as fun as the descent.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Bad footstep sounds in games. Like when the types of footware/lack of don't make the right sounds with the terrain you are walking on. I forget what game it was but I played one awhile back where even barefoot it sounded like you were wearing boots, there are others that have it so it sounds like a paved street and gravel sound the same. Or games where your foot falls are entirely too loud.
We have all this computational power and nobody's working on decent sound propagation. I shouldn't be able to hear someone on the other side of a cement wall.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I came up with a few replaying some stuff recently. It's weird how on the first playthrough I didn't notice a lot of this stuff, but on round 2 it's unignorable.

Keyhole peeking - stealth games a la Thief and Dishonoured
Everyone's favorite stealth game trope. Except usually it doesn't make any sense in terms of the time/tech of the game or socially. The one kind of lock you can actually snoop through sucked, and everyone knew it - usually they were for interior doors and only as in indication that a guest or servant should not enter an area without permission. There were way better locks and private areas usually had them - not everywhere because they were more expensive and typically required a person to shut themselves in - but nobody believed a room secured by a peekable lock was the least bit private. If you had sensitive shit to say you did so away from those rooms, and wealthy people would often station the trusted family butler in the approaching hallway. All those times you hear/see scandalous shit through a door would only happen if the people were too poor to afford a study or stupid.

Time and pavement.
Fallout somewhat but Death Stranding drove me up a wall with this shit.
Corrosion gets steel structures over time, and certain types of concrete as well, which time accelerating rain or just pure age will get eventually. Asphalt doesn't play that way. It only breaks down from wear or frost heaving. So if you live somewhere that doesn't experience cold enough temps to result in heavy ground frost and nobody is actively using a road, that road is never leaving unless the wind manages to sandblast it to nothing. So no, Death Stranding, your magic rain would in fact not ruin my road.

We have all this computational power and nobody's working on decent sound propagation. I shouldn't be able to hear someone on the other side of a cement wall.
That and echos. Game devs all seem to assume echos only work down a straight uninterrupted hallway which bugs me so much in stealth games. On one hand, I should have heard that fucker walking around in his clanky armor through a masonry building from miles away around ever corner and through three doors On the other hand, if I break a vase everyone in the building should know it happened but without knowing where specifically I fucked up.

Hl2 did that the other way in one of the episodes, fucking with specific zombie sound levels so it messed with your perception of where they were. One specific guy I remember must have had a horrible sinus infection because I could hear him snorting like two stories up from where he was.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I blame it on the game being essentially redone from the halfway point of production. It explains so much of the crazy geography and distances in the game. Other examples being:

-Heide's Tower of Flame being much closer to Majula then it looks from Majula, and how the passage is apparently underwater but the actual distance you travel to the tunnel(and the tunnel doesn't reflect that).
-Heides tower of flame taking you below sea level(you take an elevator down to a half flooded level and then another down below that, which should put you underwater.) only to arrive at a Lost whaf which is at sea level with no changes in elevation to justify it.
-The Lava field around the Iron Keep being in no way visible from Harvest Valley despite being above it.
-Whatever is going on in the opening cutscene where you jump in a whirlpool and end up in Dranglegic. Apparently Time Travel was part of the original plot(beyond the giant memories) so presumably the Bearer of the Curse actually time traveled to the past via the magic whirlpool to reach drangleic.

Apparently the Aqueduct was originally supposed to allow you to bypass the Shrine of Winter but you'd have to beat a very difficult boss to do so. So now the Aquaduct has no purpose other then scenery.
“Bbbut space/time warping!” Is what we’re supposed to believe here.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wonder if they could use rtx tech for it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
English voice actors being unable to pronounce Japanese names correctly despite having the Japanese dub as a reference. Probably the worst instance of this I've ever seen is in the first Danganronpa. In Japanese, protagonist Makoto's name is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable and all three syllables being fairly clipped, like 'MAkoto', but in the English dub everybody says 'maKOHtoh' instead. At first I played it with the English dub, and I could deal with that, but Celestia Ludenberg, in her over-affected accent, says his name correctly... except the implication is that the way she says it is incorrect. At that point, I switched to the Japanese dub and never looked back.

Reactions: BrawlMan