Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm playing Luminous Avenger iX 2 and ran into a boss that's a huge reference to the Anchus brothers fight from Megaman Zero 2. The boss is two siblings that have a dual rushing attack, if one is taking point for an attack then the other will spin around in the background, and they end the fight trying to suicide attack you by rushing at you and end up running into each other. I had a huge smile on my face from that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I love the UI & HUD of Grasshopper's hack n slash games. I love the fact that enemies get their own health meters, and elite mooks and mini bosses get their own stylized health bars depending on the game. Grashopper knows that they're games are actual fucking games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Looks like not only blowing up Cornwall’s oil rig but outright killing him made its mark -

Serves him right for his treatment of the Indians.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All of the different finishers you can do on mooks and elites. All of the mooks and bosses reactions to your ressurection(s). From bewilderment, to fear, to shock and surprise. The dialogue options, or you can interrupt them while they're talking to do more damage. SIFU has got all of these nice details.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Idle animations in general. Even just one idle animation for a character can go a long way to flesh out and endear a character's personality traits. For pixel games, even if the game has a lot of story in it where you can read what the character is thinking, actually seeing how they act does a lot. I remember how in the first Criminal Girls game how I loved the idle animations for the characters, one of them would clasp their oversized sleeves together and peek to the left and right and another would make a confident pose and flip her hair over her shoulder. I was surprised just how disappointed I was that they didn't make any idle animations for the second game.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Idle animations in general. Even just one idle animation for a character can go a long way to flesh out and endear a character's personality traits. For pixel games, even if the game has a lot of story in it where you can read what the character is thinking, actually seeing how they act does a lot. I remember how in the first Criminal Girls game how I loved the idle animations for the characters, one of them would clasp their oversized sleeves together and peek to the left and right and another would make a confident pose and flip her hair over her shoulder. I was surprised just how disappointed I was that they didn't make any idle animations for the second game.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein had one level near the end where you're traipsing through a frozen area(I believe Norway to confront the big bad in his Secret Lab. Near the beginning there's a U-boat docked with a guard patrolling the deck. I remember watching the guard walk his patrol route back and forth and every so often stop and smoke a cigarette for a minute or so before resuming his patrol.

It has literally nothing to do with anything important but for some reason I thought watching that mook walk his boring ass patrol only to occasionally stop to smoke his cigarette was pretty cool, enough to remember years and years later(I haven't played RTCW in like 20 or so years at this point).

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Okami's loading screen mini-games. Just enough of a distraction to entertain you through loading screens without being invasive enough or important enough to be a chore.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
During battles in Pokemon Legends: Arceus, it's possible to move your character around the area, though this has little direct impact on gameplay - as far as I can tell, it only determines where you continue from after the battle ends. However, if you stand in a spot where a Pokemon's move animation passes through, your character will stumble back and fall down, rather than the move just phasing straight through your body.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Wii). You'll notice all the similar game mechanics this game took from Marvel vs. Capcom, and the ones future titles took from Tatsunoko. Baroque cancel is Godlike in competent and capable hands. A cool risk and reward system. Sacrificing potential health regeneration for a combo extender or extra juggle, will have you look and preform practical and stylish.

For a non-HD game during the HD era, it still looks great. The cel-shading is beautiful, all characters look excellent in 3D, and the backgrounds all of have these cool details or effects. The music is a mix of hyper techno, rock, and even jazz and cafe jazz. All of the supers have references on the Tatsunoko side of their signature attacks or finishers from their shows. The Capcom side, you know the usual, but certain characters have their own cool supers as well. Play this game with an HD converter or on Dolphin and your eyes will be drinking rainbow!

Another cool feature is that this fighting game has whole bunch of content you can unlock by playing the damn game! There are color costumes to unlock with in-game zenny by beating modes, or clearing survival and time trials for as long as possible! Galleries and character info! It can get a little grindy, but the AI in this game is one of the easiest and most exploitable. They have their challenging moments, but an intermediate or veteran player consider these a walk though the garden.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not mine but I had a similar occurrence-
One of the things I kinda love about RDR2 is watching Dutch and Arhur's relationship evolve and deteriorate over time. At the beginning Arthur has blind faith in dutch and it's clear Dutch(and Hosea) are the closest things to a father that Arthur has ever had. Dutch took care of him, Dutch took care of everyone. But it becomes clear to the player, and later to Arthur, that dutch is slipping, or more accurately, the illusion that dutch has got this all under control is slipping. You can see it slowly over the course of the game but it really comes to a head after the streetcar crash in chapter 4 where Dutch takes a blow to the head and even spends the escape mentioning about how his head doesn't feel right. It's clear Dutch suffers some form of Brain damage from that which nobody really seems to recognize(to be fair, knowledge of brain damage probably wasn't widespread at the time) and from that point his ability to even pretend to care or lead takes a notable decline. The loss of Hosea also doesn't help this at all, considering how clear it is that Dutch really did care for him. It all nicely leads into the pathetic man he ends up as in RDR1 when John meets him again in the late game.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
One of the things I kinda love about RDR2 is watching Dutch and Arhur's relationship evolve and deteriorate over time. At the beginning Arthur has blind faith in dutch and it's clear Dutch(and Hosea) are the closest things to a father that Arthur has ever had. Dutch took care of him, Dutch took care of everyone. But it becomes clear to the player, and later to Arthur, that dutch is slipping, or more accurately, the illusion that dutch has got this all under control is slipping. You can see it slowly over the course of the game but it really comes to a head after the streetcar crash in chapter 4 where Dutch takes a blow to the head and even spends the escape mentioning about how his head doesn't feel right. It's clear Dutch suffers some form of Brain damage from that which nobody really seems to recognize(to be fair, knowledge of brain damage probably wasn't widespread at the time) and from that point his ability to even pretend to care or lead takes a notable decline. The loss of Hosea also doesn't help this at all, considering how clear it is that Dutch really did care for him. It all nicely leads into the pathetic man he ends up as in RDR1 when John meets him again in the late game.

There's also this scene in the prologue that kinda caught me off guard, where Arthur clearly seems to tell Dutch he's pathetic. I've listened to it several times and it really appears to be directed at him, given they're right next to each other at that moment. It leads me to believe that even though Arthur still looked up to Dutch and admired him, he was also pretty far along the point of being fed up with his shit.

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
A mid-game boss in Lost Judgment, Kazuki Soma, has a stance he occasionally goes into where he's able to perfectly defend against the next attack you throw at him before countering. Thing is, unlike Yagami's own parry move in the Snake style (borrowed from Tanimura from Yakuza 4), Soma actually moves differently depending on what kind of move you use on him. He does have a Tanimura parry for most attacks, but he'll jump over Crane's sweep kick for instance, and he uses different counterattacks depending on what kind of defense he used, which makes it possible to exploit his 'perfect' defense (unlike most of that game's bosses who will simply use 20% damage combo breakers on you).

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Some day I’ll get back to playing this, but only after finishing The Witcher 3. It’s a shame to think how much of a difference it’d have made if CDPR waited to release the game this year, without the Keanu rewrites and corporate interferences.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Some day I’ll get back to playing this, but only after finishing The Witcher 3. It’s a shame to think how much of a difference it’d have made if CDPR waited to release the game this year, without the Keanu rewrites and corporate interferences.
It bugs me that the handgun didn't actually have a round chambered. The one you see seems to still be in the magazine, and the character doesn't draw the slide back far enough to chamber it (in fact, it's a perfect recreation of the process of checking the chamber; it's just that if she pulled the trigger after, she'd only get a click).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It bugs me that the handgun didn't actually have a round chambered. The one you see seems to still be in the magazine, and the character doesn't draw the slide back far enough to chamber it (in fact, it's a perfect recreation of the process of checking the chamber; it's just that if she pulled the trigger after, she'd only get a click).

I'm not sure how bullets look or what style guns are in this cyber future game, plus Youtube's compression doled out a healthy smattering of vaseline even at 1080, but if I had to guess what we're seeing there might be the top of the clip and the chambered round isn't visible here. One of the comments said there are different animations for empty and partial reloads too, so not sure what the basis is in this particular instance.

Another interesting comment -

Titular Hero
1 day ago
Those animations feel so damn cool on the DualSense controller, especially all the smart gun ones. It sounds cliche but you genuinely can feel all the little bits of the gun moving and clicking into place. The DualSense implementation in Cyberpunk is so good, it adds a whole new layer, like it's almost as important as sound.

...Now, if they ever make a mouse with DualSense haptics that'd be pretty tight.