Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When fighting the Masked Lumen Sage a second time, there is a hidden contextual counter you can perform where he will take huge damage if you manage to pull it off. It usually doesn't happen until he's got 2/3 of yellow life left. In fact, Bayonetta 2 has a lot more hidden contextual button prompts and counters depending on the enemies you fight. It's mostly the angels who get them. You can ride on the stunned Hammer Centaurs and make it attack other angels. There's a counter button prompt that can be performed on Shield Centaurs. There's a hidden dodge prompt for certain cut-scenes that net you free Witch Time when you dodge at the right time!

These details right here are why I prefer the second game over the first. Plus, Bayonetta 2 has more and better bonuses that extend the replay value further. Bayonetta 1 does have some bonuses, but they're either super hidden, require long play time (to unlock the nun-chucks), or involve collecting all of those crows just to unlock the game's equivalent of Bloody Palace mode called Angel Slayer. 2 makes 1's bonus content look like an afterthought by comparison.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I like how a number of quest NPCs in Cyberpunk 2077 just offer you a ride. Yes please, don't make me traverse the pointless open world by myself just to continue your bloody questline. I just get in their bloody car, they have a few things to say and I can just skip the rest of the journey there and get on with the rest of the quest.

Though simultaneously it's also awful in that some of the quest NPCs will "get back to you in a few days". When the fuck is that? And they will always call you when you're in the middle of another quest, in the middle of a firefight or when someone is talking to you already. And when you've finished most of the content in the game and just wanna wrap up the last few sidequests, you're just going to have to somehow nudge the game into triggering those phonecalls, cause spamming the wait 24 hours command doesn't really work. You gotta get in a car, and drive around pointlessly for a few minutes. Get into a shootout with MaxTac.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Genshin Impact, you can fast travel when enemies are nearby. Which is useful if you get into a battle that your current team can't handle, like an enemy with a Cryo infusion while you're running a perma-Freeze team.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In Bayonetta 3, you can no longer pick up weapons from fallen enemies. Not even from the angels or demons that rarely show up. This is justified from a gameplay perspective but makes sense character and story wise. The homunculi either have natural weapons, weapons attached to them, and after they die, everything disappears with them. Another reason is with Bayo's new power set and weapons from different dimensions, any weapons she picks up from fallen cannon fodder are useless and redundant.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Halo: Combat Evolved, right at the start of the game, Master Chief comes out of cryosleep and is run through a calibration test to ensure he and his armor are still intact and working. This is to justify a tutorial for movement and camera control, as well as explaining the then-new regenerating shield system. This only occurs on Easy and Normal difficulty; on Heroic and Legendary, the Covenant attack on the Pillar of Autumn occurs sooner, and there's no time for the calibration - the tutorial is skipped because it's assumed you know what you're doing if you picked those levels.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I never noticed before but when Finger Reader Enia channels the fingers in Roundtable, her tone of voice changes ever so slightly to something more stern and less creepy old hag.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You can change the color of the MC's outfit, anytime in Prodeus. On the Mario World style level select map, he will be holding the gun currently selected when exiting a level.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tails of Iron.

For a vast majority of the game, the soundtrack is diegetic. If you hear music playing, there's likely an on-screen source for the music. In a bunch of boss-fights, you'll see a couple dudes in the background playing music and they'll only start when the battle kicks off(and immediately scamper off the moment the boss fight is over).It even applies to some bits later in the game when someone has a boom box playing music(which gets louder and softer depending on how close that boom box is to you).

I also liked that there's a notable amount of change in some of the locations. Early on an army of murder frogs swings through the kingdom and basically tears up the joint and you spend like the the beginning third kicking the frogs out of the castle, the countryside, a town and a ranger camp, as well as some underground areas. And as you progress through them killing the froggy boys, the areas are often wrecked and torn up and on fire, with certain entrances and doorways blocked off. After the locations are cleared and you return to them later, you seem them getting repaired and repopulated as the rats who fled the area slowly reclaim the area and by the ending part of the game, these areas are either peaceful and mostly repaired(the countryside) or bustling and rebuilt(the town, the castle and the ranger camp). It's a nice transition and feels like your efforts to clean up the area are having a tangible effect on the world and you're making it a better place. You don't seem to see it very much in games that I've noticed.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Splatoon 3 gets progressively more and more evening in the week before a Splatfest, which takes place at night.

Also, the idols are unavailable as opponents in tableturf while the Splatfest is ongoing because they're busy

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All of Vergil's sword animations counts as attacks. Even the taunts. The taunts I knew about and done myself, but I didn't know World of V could do a parry.