Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
During the 2nd phase of the final boss fight in Killer Is Dead, David, has an attack that has a small amount of dynamic music. Whenever he does his charge attack, you can hear the Latin choir crescendo, and then decrescendo when misses or goes further away. It doubles as clue on when to pull off a perfect dodge and damage him. It's the only way to hurt him, if he is doing the charge move. This the only time the game ever does this, or use dynamic music in any fashion.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Everything in Asura's Wrath! The story, the soundtrack, the animations, art style, and graphics! All this was done on 7th generation hardware. This game pushed the 360 and PS3 to their limits! AW has the best QTEs in the entire gaming sphere. Nothing else has been able to match it. Aside from maybe the later Ultimate Ninja Storm games, but not in terms of high spectacle and being super over-the-top.

The game gives you several clues who's really behind the constant spawning of the Ghoma. They all disappear in gold like fashion. The same thing happens to heavenly deities. All the mantra is returning to its creator: The Golden Spider/Chakravartan. Another aspect of the game I love, is when you unlock different gauges that gives Asura different stats. These you have to unlock by getting 3 A ranks or higher per each part. Some of the rest are DLC though, but they're not worth it.
I’d say the opening hour of GoW3/Ascension pushed the PS3 and had some of the most detailed QTE sequences too. Those were some of the largest character models ever made and they scaled incredibly well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’d say the opening hour of GoW3/Ascension pushed the PS3 and had some of the most detailed QTE sequences too. Those were some of the largest character models ever made and they scaled incredibly well.
I meant in terms of non-exclusives titles. I have not forgotten about God of War III nor Ascension. Not to diminish those games efforts, but we got to keep in mind that similar to those games, everything was done in-engine on Unreal 3. On seventh generation hardware. That was no easy task either, it was even harder, because the PS3 was a pain in the ass to program games. You have to give Cyber Connect 2 all the credit they deserve for accomplishing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you try to use a herring (raw or cooked) on a tree in Runescape, your character will say, "This is not the mightiest tree in the forest."

There's also an achievement for this in Runescape 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On the other hand, Quantum Break has amazing audio engineering and cool visuals. Whenever you enter stutter or when time gets fucked up is pleasing to the ears! I do enjoy using the powers, and knowing when to mix and match creates that gameplay spark. The enemy dialogue is entertaining, similar to Max Payne. I love it when they panic or start freaking out. The dynamic between Will and Jack I find heartwarming, as some of it reminds me of my big bro's and I relationship. I do like most of the junction points, so you can alternate scenarios, and the game allows you to replay any Act or Junction points as you please in the Timeline select. So that way, you don't have to play the game all over again to see them.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will give Final Vendetta credit for having its own identity and personality. The pixel art is gorgeous and looks like a cross between a Genesis and Neo Geo Game. The soundtrack is absolutely killer, and the Utah Saints always bring their S+ game. Similar to the Streets of Rage series, mooks and enemies are given personalities. They either sleeping on the subway train in the second stage, or dancing in the club level before fighting them.

Shredder's Revenge goes above and beyond what FV does, or what even Konami did in their past TMNT brawlers. Every enemy, background character, etc. is given some type of life or quick gag that keeps the players immersed and entertained. The Foot Ninjas and how they interact with world are the best parts of the game. You got 16 enemy types of The Foot, whom all do different things in the background and foreground, depending on the level. Tribute Games puts so much love in to them; it's almost sad having to kill these guys. The Turtles get their own sprite work and animations to tell them apart and be different. Splinter, April, and Casey are just awesome too! Everyone's moves have some reference to a fighting game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Shredder's Revenge goes above and beyond what FV does, or what even Konami did in their past TMNT brawlers. Every enemy, background character, etc. is given some type of life or quick gag that keeps the players immersed and entertained. The Foot Ninjas and how they interact with world are the best parts of the game. You got 16 enemy types of The Foot, whom all do different things in the background and foreground depending on the level. Tribute Games puts so much love in to them, it's almost sad having to kill these guys. The Turtles get their own sprite work and animations to tell them apart and be different. Splinter, April, and Casey are just awesome too! Everyone's moves have some reference to a fighting game.
Yeah I listened to an interview with one of the developers of the game and they and the rest of the team that worked on it were super passionate about it and you can see it in the work.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will give Final Vendetta credit for having its own identity and personality. The pixel art is gorgeous and looks like a cross between a Genesis and Neo Geo Game. The soundtrack is absolutely killer, and the Utah Saints always bring their S+ game. Similar to the Streets of Rage series, mooks and enemies are given personalities. They either sleeping on the subway train in the second stage, or dancing in the club level before fighting them.
The dancing I was talking about.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In Expeditions: Viking, when you first arrive on the shores of 790's Britain, you're greeted by a mob of villagers from the nearby village, armed with farm tools. Neither of you speak each's other languages, so for a few minutes you face each and you're given options to either wait for something to happen or attack now. Not long after you meet, one of the villagers runs off and one of your followers warns they might be running to get reinforcements, prompting you to attack now.

Now, if you wait a little bit, the villager who ran off comes back with a Monk from the nearby monastery. A Monk who speaks a little bit of Saxon(aka medieval German-ish) and since you're from Denmark, which is close to Saxony, you also speak a little bit of Saxon, so you have a conversation between the two of you that way. It's a nice little touch I appreciated and it's rarely acknowledged. I also appreciate that pretty much everyone knows you're vikings from the sight of you and thus most people are kinda wary of you because other vikings have already been pillaging and ravaging and killing the isles for a while before you showed up, so yeah, they've got good reason to be wary of you. Even if you're playing to gain alliances rather then just "Viking Smash!", you'll end up doing a lot of killing regardless and at least one point I was given the choice between 1.) Killing/beating the shit out of an entire village or 2.) Letting said villagers burn a child at a stake because "He was doing the devils work". The only option is trading another person to be burned at the stake instead of the child, someone who you were specifically sent there to retrieve. There's no option where no one isn't hurt or killed and since, well, trying to burn a kid at the stake is a pretty dick move, there was a lot of dead/wounded villagers that day.

Later you can be falsly accused of attacking a village and imprisoned for it(or resist arrest and kill everyone set to arrest you), as opposed to at least one village I actually did slaughter. Oh, Irony.

Now, this doesn't last because after this initial meeting the language barrier just ceases to exist and you can just talk to anyone without issue. Not a deal breaker and I get why they did it but it would be interesting to have to use an interpreter or something, or have situations where you'd meet characters you can't understand and you have to try to decide if they're a threat or not.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Evil Within 2 has its own versions of Nemesis being the The Guardians (4 of them in the hub areas) and Harbingers (flame thrower dudes). These monster will go after The Lost when you don't attract attention, or they have not spotted you. If these mini bosses kill the Lost for you, Sebastian gets free Green Gel. All without having to waste any resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Just how far away major landmarks in Genshin Impact can be seen from. It really helps make the world feel connected and complete.

Posted this example in the screenshot thread as well:
1659429064421.png

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Outer Wilds minor spoilers

So you have this device that can pick up sounds across the vacuum of space. Mainly it's used for finding places of interest to investigate. But all the travelers in the solar system are playing an instrument that you can pick up on your signalscope. If you go to the edge of the solar system eventually all the signals will align and you can pick up everyone playing in harmony, which is great and makes it feel like you are all connected no matter the distance. But then, when the sun goes supernova each instrument will cut out as the supernova reaches them, until nobody is left playing. Which is really kind of depressing actually.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Red Earth - The level of detail in Capcom's first CPS3 Arcade System is insane. The art, sound, and animations have aged beautifully like most of Capcom's 90s fighting games. This is a boss rush game with RPG elements. You can skip the grind by inputting the proper password per character to put them at max level. There are multiple ending based off of how many continues you use, or if you performed a fatality on certain bosses. Funny enough, only the two male characters can perform fatalities. I am still experimenting with the move sets.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy 10, if you use the original layout rather than the 'expert' one, locks the characters into specific paths to grow along at first, before opening up as the story progresses to represent the characters learning from each other as they do the same in the story. The character with the most access to everybody else's 'sectors' in the beginning is Kimahri, who is a Blue Mage and therefore has the innate ability to copy the skills of others.