Tiny insignificant details in games that really impressed you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When unlocking trophies in Onechanbara Z2, each unlock has the cover/character art of each game in the series, before Origins came out. The game was celebrating its legacy and anniversary, so it is neat little bonus for long time fans. Tamsoft did something very heartwarming, if you manage to even bother unlocking the Platinum trophy.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Those GTA4 Police missions. It has a very excellent end game in my opinion.

Before Rockstar became greedy whores, and hated gamers with their anti-consumer microtransactions.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It’s not just limited to gameplay stuff either. For starters-

People will still be finding stuff in this game until the next one is released, if ever.
LOL, @ around 2:40... when I saw this video I could not believe that. Told my 24 yr old son about it and he seemed offended wondering why anyone would do that. I replied that I appreciated the insane details they put into this thing. He shook his head. Un real. So many other details described in your video are fantastic as well.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
LOL, @ around 2:40... when I saw this video I could not believe that. Told my 24 yr old son about it and he seemed offended wondering why anyone would do that. I replied that I appreciated the insane details they put into this thing. He shook his head. Un real. So many other details described in your video are fantastic as well.
What impresses me more than shrinking horse nads or haircuts though, is just how much hidden stuff there is that makes the game world feel lived in.

One example of dozens -

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What impresses me more than shrinking horse nads or haircuts though, is just how much hidden stuff there is that makes the game world feel lived in.

One example of dozens -

Dang. The kids got this for me I think Xmas going on 2 years ago and I've barely scratched the surface. I have got to get back to it! At least it is pretty high up on my stack of shame. May be the most Mc Conaughey game of all time!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dang. The kids got this for me I think Xmas going on 2 years ago and I've barely scratched the surface. I have got to get back to it! At least it is pretty high up on my stack of shame. May be the most Mc Conaughey game of all time!
I wasn't exactly rushing my way through the game(on the contrary, I spent plenty of time just wandering around doing stuff in the open world between missions) and there's a ton of shit I haven't seen that people have found. Granted, some of them require a lot of effort to trigger(Doing the Ghost encounter in the bayou can take weeks of camping out in the Bayou at night...and there are creepy swamp people about and gators, so it's extra creepy).

And then there's stuff like this. I literally would not know that shit is in the game without following channels like this

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I wasn't exactly rushing my way through the game(on the contrary, I spent plenty of time just wandering around doing stuff in the open world between missions) and there's a ton of shit I haven't seen that people have found. Granted, some of them require a lot of effort to trigger(Doing the Ghost encounter in the bayou can take weeks of camping out in the Bayou at night...and there are creepy swamp people about and gators, so it's extra creepy).

And then there's stuff like this.
Amazing stuff.

Did you play the Gen 7 Red Dead Redemption? I never got through that though I do have it for the PS3.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Divinity Original Sin 2. Random healing of npcs.

This is something that has always bugged me in fantasy games with cleric/healer types. You will come across some character, and they are seriously wounded, but you can't do anything about it. And I just want to scream "*****!! I JUST healed up a foot wide gut wound in my warrior buddy, where that ogre impaled him with a charging attack! WTF you mean I can't just heal this dude's LEG!?!" Or if there are healing potions, and I'm sitting on 99 of them and I'm just like "Here, have these, drink as many as you need....oh, no the game has fated you to die, so I guess fuck you then, sorry."

But not D: OS2, nope, those random dudes just laying around with injuries? Plop a little healing water down on them, and poof, they are healed!!...and also wet, but HEALED! I was genuinely shocked the first time it happened, as I was just not expecting it to work, but I was like "yeah ok well, here you go, literally the first thing I learned to do in this game, heal, but I'm sure it won't do...." *they all pop up from their injuries, and the npc tending them turns and talks to me "Oh! Thank you traveler! I was afraid I would lose all of them before nightfall! " Me: "......oh um....you're....very welcome!" *mutter under breath* "Holy shit that fucking WORKED for once!!"

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Amazing stuff.

Did you play the Gen 7 Red Dead Redemption? I never got through that though I do have it for the PS3.
I played the first game for the first time a couple months ago (after owning it for years). I then went straight into RDR2(well, after playing the undead nightmare mode in RDR1 which is fine for a gimmick expansion).

I liked the first game but I adore the sequel for how fleshed out it is(despite a few issues, such as Rockstar hasn't improved their gunplay....well, at all, since the first one). The downside of playing them in release order is that you already know the Van Der Linde gang is fated to fall apart and certain characters have plot armor because they survived all the way till 1911(when RDR1 takes place). Notably, there's a scene in RDR2 where John Marton is presumed dead and it's played for emotional heft, except anyone who knows anything about the first game knows John is the PC and thus can't be dead for real, so the attempt feels a little bit wasted.

OTOH, RDR2 does a pretty good job of having good reasons why none of the other gang members not mentioned in the first game aren't around without having each and everyone one of them die or get captured, so there's a little bit of ambiguity. Poor Lenny

Among other things, I love the whole Camp home base in RDR2. Unlike a lot of games with a home base of sorts, the camp felt like shit was going on wether you were there or not and it was worth it to just hang out and chill for a bit between missions. Sit at the campfire, grab some food and a beer, go fishing, take a nap, go talk to everyone and see how they are, donate some money to the camp fund. People were there doing their own thing and don't just despawn from the map when there's no mission invovling them like so many open world games.

Hell, I wish that Mother base in MGSV was set up like the camp in RDR2...and not insanely huge to no purpose(like MGSV) where I could go actually do stuff and talk to characters between missions.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

And then there's stuff like this. I literally would not know that shit is in the game without following channels like this

I actually stumbled upon the giant when looking for dinosaur bones, but yeah...who would’ve known the story behind anything like that.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I actually stumbled upon the giant when looking for dinosaur bones, but yeah...who would’ve known the story behind anything like that.
Oh, yeah, the Dino bones quest. I haven't bothered to finish it(because fuck trying to find 30 locations across that huge map) but the first and last cutscenes are gold.

Paleontologist: I study dinosaurs...You know, big Lizards.
Arthur: Are they real?
Paleontologist: Of course they're real and they're everywhere!
*Arthur quickly looks around like he's expecting to get jumped by one*

Oh, Arthur. We love you bud.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh, yeah, the Dino bones quest. I haven't bothered to finish it(because fuck trying to find 30 locations across that huge map) but the first and last cutscenes are gold.

Paleontologist: I study dinosaurs...You know, big Lizards.
Arthur: Are they real?
Paleontologist: Of course they're real and they're everywhere!
*Arthur quickly looks around like he's expecting to get jumped by one*

Oh, Arthur. We love you bud.

Ohhh, no way was I looking for the other 90% of those bones (or the rock carvings, or the dreamcatchers, or the exotics) I didn't stumble across without a guide.

One day I want to watch Arthur's version of all the side quests I did as John, just to see the contrast of character. It's even noticeable in their journal entries.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
When you check the map in Hollow Knight, your character physically pulls out a map and walks more slowly while reading it. You can also check the map while on a bench, and there's a different animation for it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Just noticed this, when running on ice in RDR2 you’ll slide a little if you let go of the stick. You’ll slide pretty far if you do a skid stop with your horse. Pretty fun actually.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
There's a conversation in RDR2 where Dutch and Hosea are talking about they keep going further east despite their plans to go west. Paraphrasing:

Hosea: If we keep going east, we're gonna end up in the ocean. Where does it stop? Paris?
Dutch: If so, we'll join the commune!

What I find amusing about this is that he's no doubt referring to the Paris Commune, which is a relatively obscure bit of history where anti-government radicals seized control of Paris when the Government fled the city during the German Siege of Paris in 1871. Which in 1899 hadn't existed for nearly 30 years(and Dutch has to know this) but I can totally see Dutch idolizing the radical, anti-goverment, working class bent of the commune.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
If you hold down the Fire Missile button in most Ace Combat games (including 7, the most commonly owned on this forum), the camera will follow the missile until it hits its target or you let go of the button. This also works for special weapons like air-to-ground bombs. You won't be able to get away with this all the time, since you still have to avoid enemy attacks and crashing into the terrain, but it's really cool to watch when you're in a stable enough position to.