Tipping people who make more money than you.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
In scandinavia we don't really have this tipping culture, imagine our surprise when we went to a restaurant in Bristol and there was a 20£ tip incorperated on the check, there was no option of not tipping, the the service was just average, normal, not bad, but not extraordinary.

Ragnar47183

Mar 5, 2014
shintakie10 said:
Ragnar47183 said:
As another side note, if you believe the minimum wage should be increased you should understand that prices will be raised across the board to make up the difference. Unfortunately not everyone can make tons of money and I would rather not have to artificially raise my prices for my customers to make up for the price difference a minimum wage increase would cause.
I get so tired of this prices will be raised line.

I dont know how your business works, but I do know how the vast majority of businesses work. Staffing is not (except in extreme cases) the number 1 cost of a business. Most times its not even the number 2 cost. Supplies always trump staffing costs, especially in the cases of stuff like grocery stores or restaurants due to lower profit margins.

Best examples of this ever. California recently increased the minimum wage from 8 to 9 dollars an hour and will increase it again to 10 in 2016. Businesses all over cried about how it'd put them out of business, especially fast food places since they have a large amount of minimum wage workers. You know what they did in response though? Raised prices by 2-5 cents across the board. 2-5 cents, and they ended up making a larger profit than before even after factoring in the increased labor costs.

People largely don't notice an increase in prices as long as its not astronomically higher, and the only reason it'd be astronomically higher after a minimum wage increase is if you're tryin to pull a fast one on your customers, end of story.

On topic!

I work a barely minimum wage job at a grocery store and I still tip people regardless of how much they make more than me. I know some servers that make more than I do and I still do it. Just because I'm struggling doesn't mean I need to be an ass to them for being struggling slightly less. At the end of the day us lower class people need to stick together because the middle and upper class couldn't give two thoughts about us except when it suits them.
You obviously know nothing of running a business. Labor is always the biggest expense for almost every business there is. Raising minimum wage from 7 to 8 is entirely different from 7.25 to 10.10 which is what Obama is pushing for. That is a huge cost.

Also I would like to point out that that 'few cent' raise in prices would only work for a large corporation and the small/medium sized business' would be effected much much more.

As I have stated time and time and time again, the tip workers get their wages made up by the employer if their tips dont meet minimum wage. If you really wanted to 'stick it to the middle and upper class' then you should not be tipping people.

You also seem to have no problem pissing all over middle and upper class while ignoring the fact that there would be no jobs without them. 6 different people with 6 families live off of my business. Does that mean I dont give a shit about them? Are there some corrupt assholes? Sure there are, but to paint everyone who owns a business or who is middle/upper class as evil is just ignorant bullshit.

Instead of spouting off crap you have no idea about and hating people just because of their class (which is ironic because of what you said about other classes), take a second to educate yourself.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Crazy Zaul said:
Then American's started tipping the pizza guy and all sorts of stupid things like that, who haven't done a single thing to deserve a tip.
(Tipping the pizza guy came up on Bombcast a while ago and is basically a protection racket where you're paying him not to be an asshole)
I'm in college and my girlfriend is a pizza driver. Minimum wage is just over $8 here, but she gets payed less than $5 an hour. Over a week, she averages under $7 an hour because she is often given hours when few people order pizzas. The only times she makes minimum wage are when people tip well.

Additionally, some places don't pay for gas or insurance on company vehicles (hers does, but I have a few other pizza delivery friends who do not get it covered or are required to use their own vehicles to have insurance). Tipping is a way to cover the expenses of their gas so that they can maintain a job. Most of the pizza drivers are young, college students trying to pay for school who need at least minimum wage. It does seem strange to me that the burden of paying employees is on the customer, but tipping the driver is more than just being a protection measure, its about keeping the driver okay financially.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
I tip because I know how grueling and unpleasant the service industry can be.
I couldn't care any less of a fuck about my income, the fact that the pizza delivery guy isn't murdering people is a feat of super human will power.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
shootthebandit said:
I dont see why waiters/waitresses get tips anyway. All they do is bring the food over to your table and the least you expect is that they arent rude. Im not a big fan of friendly customer service, just bring my food and do it in a polite professional manner dont try any jokes or sweeten me up just bring my food and then dont ask me how it is mid mouthful because if there was something wrong with it I wouldnt be shovelling it into my face
Well, clearly someone has never worked in the service industry.

I've never personally worked as a waiter/waitress, retail was my shitty job of choice, but quite a few of my friends have and depending on the place, it can be exhausting, with long hours, little to no breaks all the while getting yelled at by kitchen staff and customers because you're the middle-man. Like I said, if you're eating in a restaurant, you probably have a few quid to spare to give to someone for a job well done.

If you really want to cling on to your pennies then do but I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was at a restaurant with someone and the meal came to, say, 56.50 or something, and a person I was eating with paid 60 and waited for their change.
But you (presumably) don't tip the person at the counter of your supermarket or expected people to tip you when you were working in retail, you aren't expected to slip extra fivers to your dentist's assistant or donate twenty dollars to Unicef every time you buy some clothes made by Bangladeshi children. Hell, you'd probably do far more good if you used the money you'd use to tip the waiter to do the latter, actually. What annoys me is less people expecting me to be nice enough to help people in shitty situations but rather that they seem to think people in shitty situations working in a business providing what boils down to luxury services are more worthy of my help.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
shootthebandit said:
Likewise I pay extra for the delivery surely that is cover the drivers wage/expenses?
Actually, no. Delivery fees (for the most part, as there's probably rare exceptions) don't go to the driver, they go to the company to cover the increased insurance costs that come from having an employee constantly on the road. Drivers can get around fifty cents to a buck and some change for gas mileage, but that doesn't cover even half of how much delivering costs them, and can still end up spending about half their check (which isn't very big to begin with) on just keeping their car running. If you're not going to tip, that's your choice (though that does seem like a bit of a dick move, seeing how they drove your food all the way to your house in their personal vehicle just so you don't have to get off the couch and get it yourself), but don't use the delivery fee as an excuse.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
TakerFoxx said:
shootthebandit said:
Likewise I pay extra for the delivery surely that is cover the drivers wage/expenses?
Actually, no. Delivery fees (for the most part, as there's probably rare exceptions) don't go to the driver, they go to the company to cover the increased insurance costs that come from having an employee constantly on the road. Drivers can get around fifty cents to a buck and some change for gas mileage, but that doesn't cover even half of how much delivering costs them, and can still end up spending about half their check (which isn't very big to begin with) on just keeping their car running. If you're not going to tip, that's your choice (though that does seem like a bit of a dick move, seeing how they drove your food all the way to your house in their personal vehicle just so you don't have to get off the couch and get it yourself), but don't use the delivery fee as an excuse.
So the tip is actually a form of charity since the drivers cannot get a job that pays them a proper wage?

Otherwise, I just do not see why the driver should get more money when someone like an IT tech does not get tips.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Well, clearly someone has never worked in the service industry.

I've never personally worked as a waiter/waitress, retail was my shitty job of choice, but quite a few of my friends have and depending on the place, it can be exhausting, with long hours, little to no breaks all the while getting yelled at by kitchen staff and customers because you're the middle-man. Like I said, if you're eating in a restaurant, you probably have a few quid to spare to give to someone for a job well done.

If you really want to cling on to your pennies then do but I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was at a restaurant with someone and the meal came to, say, 56.50 or something, and a person I was eating with paid 60 and waited for their change.
Ive never worked service or retail but I have worked in an argos storeroom (which I suppose is retail) around xmas time and that wasnt too pleasant. I got paid minimum wage and it didnt see a penny in tips for lugging around TVs and kitchen appliances all day. Minimum wage is there for a reason to prevent employees from being ripped off.

If it came to £60 in that instance yes I probably would let them keep the change. Most of the time I just leave the change (if its not a note) but if I pay by card then I probably wouldnt leave a tip

Winthrop said:
I'm in college and my girlfriend is a pizza driver. Minimum wage is just over $8 here, but she gets payed less than $5 an hour. Over a week, she averages under $7 an hour because she is often given hours when few people order pizzas. The only times she makes minimum wage are when people tip well.

Additionally, some places don't pay for gas or insurance on company vehicles (hers does, but I have a few other pizza delivery friends who do not get it covered or are required to use their own vehicles to have insurance). Tipping is a way to cover the expenses of their gas so that they can maintain a job. Most of the pizza drivers are young, college students trying to pay for school who need at least minimum wage. It does seem strange to me that the burden of paying employees is on the customer, but tipping the driver is more than just being a protection measure, its about keeping the driver okay financially.
So people are being paid less than minimum wage? How is it a minimum wage then unless they are working illegally and not paying any tax or national insurance? Surely its a minimum because people cannot legal earn less than minimum wage. There may as well not be a minimum wage because its clearly not fulfilling its purpose

I dont usually tip a delivery driver (on the off chance im drunk and have no food in) but I usually drive down and pick it up myself because you usually wait longer for a delivery. When I do get delivery I usually let them keep the change but I dont go out of my way to tip.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
DayDark said:
In scandinavia we don't really have this tipping culture, imagine our surprise when we went to a restaurant in Bristol and there was a 20£ tip incorperated on the check, there was no option of not tipping, the the service was just average, normal, not bad, but not extraordinary.
For future reference, that's called a "service charge". It's basically the waiter saying he wants a tip or a calculation of 10% of the price to save people who do want to tip, from working it out. It /should/ however be noted as such on the bill and you're not obligated to pay it.

It doesn't happen in many places though, only if the waiter is saying he really wants a tip, or to scarper money from tourists who wouldn't know any better.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
shootthebandit said:
Colour Scientist said:
Winthrop said:

So people are being paid less than minimum wage? How is it a minimum wage then unless they are working illegally and not paying any tax or national insurance? Surely its a minimum because people cannot legal earn less than minimum wage. There may as well not be a minimum wage because its clearly not fulfilling its purpose

I dont usually tip a delivery driver (on the off chance im drunk and have no food in) but I usually drive down and pick it up myself because you usually wait longer for a delivery. When I do get delivery I usually let them keep the change but I dont go out of my way to tip.
Workers who work for tips have a much lower minimum wage than normal (my google search turned up $2.13 an hour, but I'm not sure if that is local, state, or national) because they are expected to make up the difference in tips. This is also why some places make workers turn down tips. A tricky part of this law is that the employer is TECHNICALLY required to make up any money not made in tips to make your wage equal minimum wage, but its pretty hard to prove how much you made in tips and I'm a bit unclear on who has the burden of proof or how one proves it and there doesn't seem to be much of a system in place to make sure people are payed fairly.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this tipping thing confuses me

why are customers expected to make up for the fact they don't want to pay their workers minimum wage?

in Australia our minimum wage is set (and higher than US) I don't think tipping is much of a thing

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I tend to tip people regardless of how their wage works and more on their job title. You don't have to tip the McDonalds drive through cashier, but when she's working the 40 cent burger deal and has 20 cars lined up you know shes miserable. I gave her a 3 dollar tip and her entire appearance changed.

I would suggest everyone work in a customer oriented job for at least 3 months. Retail, Food Service, stuff like that. You learn to deal with people and grow respect for the workers.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i commented on the other thread, but this is a different story, i was taking a tour of the Vatican, and at the end my tour guide shook everyones hand, i thought this was just to say goodbye, but it was a cheeky attempt to get tips! Europeans expect tips more than the UK And less then the US, I Believe

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
DayDark said:
Bristol, UK? I wouldn't have paid it, cheeky sods!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
PoolCleaningRobot said:
You'd spend $60 on a 10 minute meal for 5 people? I know the cost of living here in Cincinnati is cheap but damn, I could easily feed 4 or 5 people at a sit down restaurant for $30 or $40. And usually those kind of meals aren't fast food for me and I might be hanging around the restaurant for an hour or so. If I did have meal like you described, I certainly wouldn't be tipping more than $10. At a point, it's more about how much time you spent at the table than the cost of the meal
In Austin, going to a "sit down resturant" can mean a great many things. Assuming we discard places that grew from a food truck and the like that leaves us with a selection of places that range from national chains like Chili's to local only places like Perry's. While it is possible at some of these places to get a meal for between 7.5 and 8 dollars, you'd basically have to order with price consciousness in mind at ever step. That means choosing the cheapest entree on the menu, refusing appetizer and desert and only drinking whatever happens to be offered for free. At a low cost national chain, you'd be hard pressed to keep the tab under 8 bucks a person regardless of how frugally you ordered and you'd be forced to eat a meal consisting of things like cheese fries and, to be honest, if you go down that kind of route, why did you go to the restaurant in the first place?

Before a tip is considered, even at cheap national chains I'd say I average around 15 dollars per person. When my wife and I go out we tend to order a single entree and an appetizer and it still tends to cost more than 30 bucks at an inexpensive place. There are certainly places we can go and get fed for under 8 bucks a person but the only places where that kind of pricing is common is a fast food joint.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Anyone remember when tip was for people who actually preform service above their minimal requirements? You know, for people who actually do earn something extra by giving something extra?

Yea. You see, I'm computer technician and I work my ass off, I worked my ass off in school and have to continuously update my knowledge unless I want to grow obsolete. And I never rarely a tip even tho I go extra miles to provide best service in my capability. On the other hand I'm expected to tip waiter or bartender who simply, tiredly deliver my drinks/food and can't wait to get away. That's messed up

So, I tip only when someone really earns it, but then I tip as much as I can afford. In my world, you have to earn your reward.

P.S. Some waiters are really in tough spot, most are not. Some even earn more in one night than I whole month.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think above all it's about rewarding the personal input rather than compensating for their crap salaries.
I wonder, as an Australian, how many coffees would be thrown in my face for refusing to tip mediocre service in America.

Its why I like living hear (occasionally past my crying of shit internet). People are nice to you because their nice to you. And not tipping is very much not the custom.
I can only really say from my experience from tipping in Texas, it goes like this. If service was poor to terrible, you can not tip or give very little. If they do what's expected, then it's 10-15%. If they do really well, then you can go higher if you feel like it. It could be because the places I go to eat are places that are busy, and unless you go somewhere constantly, they won't remember you, and won't care in the long run. The way I was taught, tips were a way to basically rate the server, the higher the tip, they know they did well, the lower it is, the worse they did, and they will have to get better if they want to make decent money. It's really hard to tell if the servers are just being friendly so they can get a better tip, or because they are genuine. Usually Genuine friendly people seem to stay as waiters longer.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Australian, so disregard opinions on tipping, but I see it like this: you have a certain amount of money and you reward effort by tipping. If you have less money your money is more important to you and thus the size of your tip should reflect that. If you are making minimum wage, I'd understand not tipping, especially for average or poor service. If you think they did an exceptional job to the extent that you want to give them more of your money, taking into account that you have less of it than some, then you tip.

Once again, this post completely disregards the strange social pressure you people have that compels you to tip even against your will.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think above all it's about rewarding the personal input rather than compensating for their crap salaries.
I wonder, as an Australian, how many coffees would be thrown in my face for refusing to tip mediocre service in America.

Its why I like living hear (occasionally past my crying of shit internet). People are nice to you because their nice to you. And not tipping is very much not the custom.
I'm speaking as an Argentine. Here at least I get the feeling waiters and waitresses are pleasantly surprised when you tip them.