Tipping

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
banksy122 said:
It may be something else, but the waitstaff are amazing because if they aren't they get no money, there is actual incentive to be good
Then service must be amazing in those 3rd world nations where complaining about your working conditions can result in you getting a visit from the local death squad.

I mean, hey, it works for sportwear manufacturers.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
banksy122 said:
It may be something else, but the waitstaff are amazing because if they aren't they get no money, there is actual incentive to be good
Then service must be amazing in those 3rd world nations where complaining about your working conditions can result in you getting a visit from the local death squad.
EDIT: Realized what you meant and it is completely irrelevant. If you want to debate its relevance, I did only mention Australia and America, no 3rd world or other countries mentioned. Also, we are talking about tipping, not forced labour.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Anyone else think this was about cow tipping when you saw this thread, I know I did :)

OT:

1.No
2.No
3.No

I don't really see the point in tipping, it's their job and they get paid to do it.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
CJackson95 said:
Anyone else think this was about cow tipping when you saw this thread, I know I did :)

OT:

1.No
2.No
3.No

I don't really see the point in tipping, it's their job and they get paid to do it.
That was kind of my intention... luring both crowds! That and I'd just come from Fallout 3 and had tipped the Megaton Brhamin.

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
I will open with the fact that I am a bartender working in the United States.

I am paid $5.00 an hour in wages (this is $2.40 below minimum wage in my area) and work about thirty hours a week. My rent + living expenses such as gas and food cost me about $800 a month. In other words, my hours wages on a monthly basis are less than the cost to survive. I depend completely on tips to be able to make a living and afford any sort of luxury, such as this computer.

Don't get me wrong, on an average night I take home $50 in tips. But I depend on this fact, and customers that do not tip me do direct damage to what I can afford for that month. Now, I don't mind if I get jack in tips from opening bottles of beer. That isn't much effort, and if they leave me a quarter or fifty cents for it I look at it as a gesture of appreciation rather than reflection of skill of service. But, when I have to say make four Cosmopolitans an they walk away without leaving me so much as a dime, then that is simply rude bordering on intentional maliciousness.

A lot of people will tell me "oh sorry, times are rough with the recession and I can't afford to tip you" or something along those lines. I smile and assure them that it is alright, but this is the truth laid bare:

If you cannot afford to tip your bartender, you should not be spending money on alcohol.

This is the view from a bartender working in the U.S., hope it was insightful.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
I tip, quite generously usually. Sometimes it's because I can't stand the change so I just say keep it all. And I do it because I wanna help them out.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
Is tipping factored into their pay? That's the only reason I'd tip most of the time, because otherwise they're just doing their job.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
CJackson95 said:

OT:

1.No
2.No
3.No

That was kind of my intention... luring both crowds! That and I'd just come from Fallout 3 and had tipped the Megaton Brhamin.
lol yeah, best feature ever :)

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Yep, I do tip.

10-20% depending on service. If I eat out with someone and they pay the bill, I pay the tip and tip extra.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
1) Most of the time I do tip.

2) If a beer costs me 3.30 at a bar I usually pay with a five and leave a one. I never rake in massive tabs such as my friends so my tips are not as big. As for food and other occasions really it depends on how much change I have.

3) I do not see the point in tipping.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
xanith02100 said:
This is the view from a bartender working in the U.S., hope it was insightful.
It was very insightful. My cousin was a bartender for a while down the local pub and he never got asked for anything that couldn't be pulled from a tap. I think I'd tip a bartender if I'd asked for a cocktail or something, maybe a bit of shrapnel I had in my pockets but a small tip nontheless. What I still don't get, is tipping waiting staff.

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
1. Yes.
2. 20-30%, I tip because waitress usually get paid very little.
3. If they did well they deserve a tip.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
Having worked in restaurants and knowing the miserable pay that servers receive, I definitely tip. In the US, servers make around $3 an hour and they have to claim at least 10% of their total sales in taxes against their paycheck. Kitchen Staff makes between $8-12 an hour.

Although the standard for tipping is 15-18%, I tip around 20% for good service. I understand that sometimes a server has a bad day, so for less than decent service, I tip around 15%. If it's obvious that the server just doesn't care, I might tip 10% or less, but I don't think I've ever stiffed a server.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
1. No.
2. N/a.
3. Not really.

I don't see why they expect a tip. Really? You carried plates? Well done. If it was a particularly good meal, I might tip the chef. Then again, most places I've been to, the waiters are pompous asshats. The only place I have ever left a tip is a restaurant in the suburban/rural areas by mine.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Only the pizza guy. I know that the pay is mostly kinda bad, and i know the most of them personaly at my favourite ordering place, i once had no money left for a tip and i recieved the evil eye and a harsh comment, thats not okay either.

It depends on the quality of service and the price.
if the food is hot and the beer is icy-cold, its a little bit more.
Usually If its 13,60 i give 15 or something like that.
i'm a poor student, so at restaurant or such things i usually don't tip at all. Around here they get good enough money at those places.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
If the service in a restaurant is OK or better then yes, I tip. If I know that I am eating out then I will be sure to take cash and never allow a gratuity to be added to a card bill. Between 10-15 percent, rounded up to the nearest whole pound.

I haven't been in a hotel with bell staff in a long time but have tipped room service and the maids (keeping in mind to tip maid staff daily as it won't always be the same one servicing your room).

I usually tip my hairdresser but they accommodate me and let me rock up on the spot and not need an appointment, so it is a relationship worth paying to preserve.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Defective_Detective said:
Huh? That's really odd that you've never encountered this before in the UK. It's something that's expected in most restaurants. You are typically supposed to tip around 10%. As mentioned before most waiters and waitresses live off tips.

EDIT: I am living in the UK myself.
I have never seen that myself. I do not tip in restaurants, for deliveries or anywhere else. Granted I do not pay in any of those either, but my opinion is they charge so much for their service they can afford to pay their staff properly.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
My dad used to be a waiter and my parents have told me how much waiters and waitresses rely on tips. So...

1) Yes.
2) I usually tip 15%. 20% if the service is very good and 10% if the service is very poor. I refuse to leave nothing.
3) As stated above, yes I do see the point.