Titan AE

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
saw it in theaters when it came out. Thought it was okay.

And since then, yea, it was just kind of a movie I forgot about, had no real lasting impact on me or made me want to see it again until a couple years ago when I saw it on Netflix and had a "why not?" moment.

And I think I liked it less during that 2nd watching. Was older and realized the pretty impressive cast of voice actors. But I thought the pacing was too fast, a lot of important things and characterization wasn't fleshed out and thus, I really didn't care about the characters or if I thought some of them had died.

For a game allegory, it was like a Jet Force Gemini. Fun sci-fi theme, good visuals, and Good intentions and a great development behind it- but ultimately skimmed over too much, never captured my imagination. That and the enemies in both seem similar to me

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
dmase said:
I love that movie and some future reboot of treasure island, i forgot what that was called. Great movies full of that deeper meaning goodness.
Think that was the Disney reboot of Treasure Island from awhile back. That the one where the kid is on the boat with the lobster claw bad-guy and the captain looks like a fat, peg-legged mountain lion stuffed in an old school captain's outfit?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
dmase said:
I love that movie and some future reboot of treasure island, i forgot what that was called. Great movies full of that deeper meaning goodness.
That film was called Treasure planet.

I've seen a bit of Titan AE, it was pretty awesome.

Dantes Alaska

Jan 31, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
dmase said:
That's Treasure Planet, Disney's attempt to cash in on sci-fi.
Steam punk sci-fi, I liked it.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
A random person said:
From what I've heard (haven't seen it, but my friend has it in his comically large movie collection), it was when Don Bluth momentarily got out of his 90's rut, albeit with some help from Joss Whedon. It also tanked due to the ever-menacing animation age ghetto, sadly.
Yeah, it was a flop at the movies. Fox Animation Studios didn't know whether they should cater to kids or hardcore sci-fi fans, and ended up scaring away both groups.
Its become somewhat of a cult classic in recent years, from repeat showings on Teletoon and other channels.

It is definitely one of Bluth's better films.
That was actually one of the reasons why I started holding a grudge against Fox. And then their relationship with 4Kids...

Edit: Oh yeah, I loved the movie, and the fact that Don Bluth doesn't mind doing fan service (i.e. "Out or in?" "Oh uh in...")

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I've only seen it once, and that was in theaters when it first came out. Still, it was a great movie and I definitely enjoyed it.

And yes, planet Bob is awesome.

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
i to just saw it on teletoon and i think the awesomeness of that movie can be summed up in the first few minutes when the pull out a flame saw

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I saw that movie a decade ago. I remember liking it. I saw it again a few years back (apparently I had the DVD, who knew?) and I remembered why I loved this movie. I can't believe I went so long without seeing a movie I liked this much. This leads me to believe that this movie is severely underrated. Hell, something has to be good about it if Roger Ebert is giving it a thumbs up.

lightning38 said:
i to just saw it on teletoon and i think the awesomeness of that movie can be summed up in the first few minutes when the pull out a flame saw
Can you believe the screen play was co-written by Joss Whedon?

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I love how Cale is like, "I'ma call my planet Bob!" and then the chick is like, "You can't do that. That's stupid." Fuck you, I just made my own planet! I'll call it what I want!
Soviet Heavy said:
One thing is did notice this time around was the voice actors. Ron Perlman was Cale's dad!? Nathan Lane was Preed!? It induced a Keanu worthy "Whoa."
Nathan Lane is amazingly talented. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in a thousand different things..

clank1013

May 21, 2009
i remember that movie, and i still enjoy watching it now and then...... but i am gettign tired of my nephew watching tom and jerry all day every day...... u can only survive hearing the same sound effects for so long............ but anyways....... yea
titan ae is stilla good movie. =)

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
I've gotten the impression that Titan AE was one of Don Bluth's worst movies (probably because of three major issues: the Dreejs, the huge ice field and how the planet was made), but... it might not be as "cuddly"-warm as his older works, it still was something very impressive to watch. The voice acting was very good, and for some weird reason... I get a very cozy Star-Warsie feel from the movie.

Kinda like if one took the better parts of Star Wars and transplanted it into it's own little universe, it's own singular story. Let's keep it that way, eh?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
People actually know this movie exists!? I MUST WARN THE COUNCIL!

In all seriousness, yes it is an awesome movie and its a shame it didn't get the success it deserved.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
I watched that movie when I was younger and I have to say I don't like it at all...I friggin love it! :) I own a copy of it, but the damnedest thing is it's on a VHS tape and who the heck knows how that archaic technology works.