Titanfall 2 Confirmed, is Coming to PS4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall 2 Confirmed, is Coming to PS4

The second installment of Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall series will make the jump to PS4.

Speaking to IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social] ahead of the BAFTA Game Awards Respawn Entertainment boss Vince Zampella confirmed the existence of a Titanfall sequel, and confirmed that alongside the PC and Xbox One, this one will indeed be making its way to Sony's PS4.

"I guess EA announced a sequel, so I could play coy and pretend I don't know anything about it, or... yeah. So we're working on a sequel. No official name yet, but we're working on that. That's the main focus but we're starting up a second team and doing some smaller stuff too. Small, exploratory, taking it slow! It'll be multiplatform," said Zampella.

He went on to comment on the exclusivity deal that kept the first title off the PS4, stating that without it, there simply wouldn't have been a Titanfall, as they needed the money to make the game.

"If we could do a [PS4 version] though?" he said. "It would have been prohibitive to do that - we definitely made the right choices for the right reasons - but if you're saying what would we have liked to have done? The opportunity to be multiplatform could have made it even more significant for us."

Zampella re-iterated that the one thing he would not have changed about the game was its multiplayer-only approach. While the studio previously stated it wouldn't rule out single-player [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135716-Respawn-Exec-Wouldnt-Rule-Out-Titanfall-Single-Player], Zampella's comments suggest we shouldn't hold our breath for its inclusion in the sequel.

"We set out to [make the game multi-player only] and it was one of our goals. I mean it obviously prohibits a certain group of people playing the game, and as content creators you want to get into as many peoples's hands as possible. We put some single-player elements in there though, and tried to mix it up."

While Zampella didn't really comment on what content we should expect in Titanfall 2, he did applaud Evolve's decision to keep all of its DLC maps free. "I think that's a fantastic way to do it," he said. "I think having the maps like that in packs, it does split the community and it makes it harder for matchmaking." Going by Respawn's recent decision to make the Titanfall season pass free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140082-Titanfall-Season-Pass-Free-for-Anniversary-Event], it wouldn't be a stretch to expect free map packs for its sequel.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think they've effectively sounded the death knell for the first game now. Why buy it in the state it's still in when the company's going to be putting all their resources into the sequel?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
What is the point? Are the actually going to differentiate much from the original? Somehow, I don't think they will.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"If we could do a [PS4 version] though?" he said. "It would have been prohibitive to do that - we definitely made the right choices for the right reasons - but if you're saying what would we have liked to have done? The opportunity to be multiplatform could have made it even more significant for us."

Da fuck does that even mean?

And I find it hard to believe that they needed the money. This was clearly being banked as the next COD, but the Xbone cut it short of greatness (or success, at least). Whatever, no surprises. This was guaranteed to happen the moment that they saw they backed the wrong horse.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Gailim said:
as long as nobody tries to call this game TF2 then it's fine
Would TiFa 2 be acceptable? I'd also consider Tit Fall Double, but that might give people the wrong impression.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
I think they've effectively sounded the death knell for the first game now. Why buy it in the state it's still in when the company's going to be putting all their resources into the sequel?
I thought the game was functional, just losing interest as of late. I haven't really heard anything about issues with the game (certainly not Battlefield 4-level problems) though perhaps that's because the lack of interest didn't warrant any news on the game itself.

More on topic, I don't have many hours of Titanfall under my belt, but what hours I did rack up were pretty fun. Especially rodeoing titans and the verticality of the maps paired with the level of mobility the jetpacks provided made jumping and gunning pretty intense. So if we can expect improvement, and even more variety from the next title, then great. I'd like to see what comes of it.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
Unless they actually package the next one with a game I couldn't care less. The multiplayer-only AAA thing runs out of steam to fast to really be worth my money.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Zampella re-iterated that the one thing he would not have changed about the game was it's multiplayer-only approach.
And that is the big reason why Titanfall didn't do near as good as it could have. Some people felt disinterested in the bare bones story, and by extension the game itself. A campaign could have given them better detail. (I don't care about story in competitive multi-player. Halo never had a reason presented in game why the rare Spartan super soldiers are killing each other.) Others were probably scared of going headfirst into a multi-player worlds before getting practice in the campaign. Many probably didn't want to spend $60(or more considering price increases overseas) plus DLC costs for what could be considered only part of a game that retails for that much, and when the price dropped to what they would pay, they found something better to occupy their time and forgot about Titanfall.

It's not surprising Falling Titan 2 is coming to PS4, either. Microsoft thought the first would be a killer app for the xbone. It wasn't (especially with the PC version taking its share of wannabe mech pilots). They have no reason to try for exclusivity again. And it would be a good idea for Respawn to go after increased install base of 3 systems.
Scars Unseen said:
Gailim said:
Would TiFa 2 be acceptable? I'd also consider Tit Fall Double, but that might give people the wrong impression.
TiFa 2 just makes me think of another FFVII spinoff. Tit Fall Double sounds awesome but, yes, does sound more like an adult game than a mech/FPS.

How about Titanrain? Titanstorm? Colossusfall? Eh, let's work on some more.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hairless Mammoth said:
Zampella re-iterated that the one thing he would not have changed about the game was it's multiplayer-only approach.
And that is the big reason why Titanfall didn't do near as good as it could have.
If you think that a game needs a singleplayer component to do well, you are very sorely mistaken. League of Legends is multiplayer only and it is the biggest game on the planet.

Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are multiplayer-only shooters and they are among the most popular games on steam.

Even full-priced games like Battlefield 4 have a bare-bones forgettable campaign that most people I know didn't even bother to play.

There is clearly a market for multiplayer-only shooters - making the game multiplayer only was NOT the problem with this game.

The problem was that there was no-where near enough content for the $60 asking price. If the game was in the $20-$40 price range, or had a bunch of FREE updates right from the start, or just had... more content, it would have been much better.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
They seem to be aspiring to a Call of Duty/Battlefield style annualized multiplayer focus release but is there the interest in the game to support that model? It has been demonstrated that there are enough people willing to buy AAA price games each year pretty much exclusively to "keep up" with the rest of the playing base as they abandon earlier releases (tried playing Bad Company 2 again about two or three years ago on 360 and it was a rare to find a game with more than 3 or 4 other people in it) - but the thing is, this only works when you gain enough initial momentum to convince people to buy a whole new title relatively shortly after the previous one to have a viable product when it's multiplayer focused or multiplayer only. Given the response to Titanfall appeared to have been relatively underwhelming (especially compared to what they seem to have been anticipating) and that from what I hear (though I could be wrong) the online communities for the game is already waning this might not be a sustainable or even viable approach for them to take but we'll have to see.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Good thing I didn't put any REAL money into this, if they're moving on already. Seems quick. I just stopped hearing about Titanfall after a couple weeks, and I nabbed it on sale.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are multiplayer-only shooters and they are among the most popular games on steam.
Last time i played CS:GO i was most certainly playing single player with bots so i do not know where you are pulling this multiplayer-only from.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Gailim said:
No, that distinction would go to Blizzard's what's-its-name (seriously, I don't remember). Overwatch?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
And that is the big reason why Titanfall didn't do near as good as it could have.
If you think that a game needs a singleplayer component to do well, you are very sorely mistaken. League of Legends is multiplayer only and it is the biggest game on the planet.

Even full-priced games like Battlefield 4 have a bare-bones forgettable campaign that most people I know didn't even bother to play.

There is clearly a market for multiplayer-only shooters - making the game multiplayer only was NOT the problem with this game.

The problem was that there was no-where near enough content for the $60 asking price. If the game was in the $20-$40 price range, or had a bunch of FREE updates right from the start, or just had... more content, it would have been much better.
I agree the price was too high. My poorly made point (tired and not a master wordsmith here) is the market for a $60 multiplayer only title, especially with a new IP and a big budget, isn't viable today. Maybe now that they have assets and a reputation from the first game, the sequel can beat the first's sales numbers and maybe keep the player base far more active for a year.

And actually, now that I looked up some up some sales figure news from months back, Titanfall did do better than I thought. It still wasn't the system seller MS wanted, but it did saturate 40% of the xbone install base (not too hard of a feat, though, considering the issues the xbone had at the time).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Titanfall was one of the reasons I wanted an Xbox One. I'd play it all night whenever I went to my friends house. I'm glad to hear I can play the second one on my PS4. Here I come, smart pistol!!!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
008Zulu said:
Still no single player? Excited to bored in 3.5 seconds, that's gotta be a world record.
I feel you. I clicked this article with the thought, "Well, maybe they'll put a single player in the sequel" and was completely disappointed. A real pity, because the game looks like it could be a blast, but multiplayer only games just don't appeal to me in the slightest.