Titanfall is Going Full Open Beta - Update 3

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall is Going Full Open Beta - Update 3

'Let's break it' says Titanfall coder Jon Shiring.

Update 3: Various reports are coming in that prospective PC beta players need only open up an Origin support [http://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/] ticket, by selecting Titanfall from product list, selecting PC as the platform, selecting "Titanfall beta access" as the topic, and clicking the "email" link and writing that they would like to get beta access to Titanfall to try it out. Apparently if you do this, Origin will send you out a beta key!

(Thanks, Mathew Williams!)

Update 2: Apparently, in Respawn Entertainment language, "fully open" means "fully open until we hit an arbitrary number," and it seems that that number has been hit, at least for the PC version of the beta. The beta sign-up page [http://www.titanfall.com/beta] now simply displays the following message:

"Thanks for your interest in the beta! We've reached the maximum number of sign-ups and can't accept any more at this time. We'll see you in March!"

Source: Respawn Entertainment [http://www.titanfall.com/beta]

Update: As promised, the beta is now fully open on both Xbox One and PC. Xbox One users should be able to download it via the Xbox One dashboard, but PC users will still have to "sign up" via the beta webpage [http://www.titanfall.com/beta] to get access to the game.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/435222385906556928]

Original Story: Fans following Respawn entertainment's big robot shooter Titanfall were ecstatic to learn that beta signups opened earlier this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132188-Titanfall-Beta-Signups-Begin-Update]. However, that enthusiasm petered out a little, when they found that only a limited number of keys were trickling down the pipe into player's inboxes. Now, it looks like Respawn is blowing the whole thing open, with lead dev Vince Zampella announcing over Twitter that the beta is going open.

"Ok, just heard from @jonshiring. His words are 'Let's break it', so the plan is to make the beta fully open and have you max stress it!"

Zampella clarified that "All the switches need to be flipped, and there are probably lots! It will take some number of time units to do it all!" and that the Xbox One would open up first, possibly later tonight, with the PC to follow maybe tomorrow. He believes that the beta should hold up fine when it's opened, but that gamers may have trouble finding a server during peak times.

For now, eager PC gamers should keep a close eye on Zampella's Twitter [https://twitter.com/VinceZampella], where he is periodically posting batches of PC beta keys for anyone to grab.

I've been enjoying the Titanfall beta over the weekend. It's a fantastically fun game, and while it does have a few issues to iron out before release, I'm confident Respawn can take care of it.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/434872499268886530]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Now I really wish that the beta was on the 360. Oh well, I hope people have fun with it.

Apr 28, 2008
I would love to try this damn thing, but it crashes when I hit "play" with the following error message:

SetupClientSendTableHierarchy: missing table name for prop 'm_Collision'

I post this here in hopes that someone will know how to fix this. Also when I try to change any settings the game just crashes. This is actually an improvement over yesterday, where the game would just crash after the opening logo with no errors or freezes or anything. It'd just end.

I really hope they open it to PC gamers so more people encounter these issues and it's hopefully fixed before the beta ends on Tuesday so I can play the damn thing.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Now I have higher hopes for it when it actually releases, simply because they are stress testing it before it even comes out. Sure, it won't be the same number as on release day, but it's the best you really can do, so I have the feeling EA finally learned to maybe take a step back from a project for once and just let them do their own thing.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
Now I have higher hopes for it when it actually releases, simply because they are stress testing it before it even comes out. Sure, it won't be the same number as on release day, but it's the best you really can do, so I have the feeling EA finally learned to maybe take a step back from a project for once and just let them do their own thing.
Titanfall's devs seem to have a lot of sway with Microsoft and EA, I'm guessing ea learned nothing but they are just catering to respawn's wishes.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
I promise you, this is only because this is a brand new IP and because they are terrified of having to market a multiplayer-only game at a standard triple-A pricing model (although, having a bunch of YouTubers do your marketing for you wasn't so hard to figure out, I suppose).

Personally I don't see the point in trying to catch a beta-key from Zampella on Twitter if I have already signed up for the Beta on Origin. So it's clear they have enough keys to go around, so why play hard-to-get?

Anyway, I hope this game will be at a nicely reduced price in a few months.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Pain in the ass way of getting into the beta.

That code has been used
That code has been used
That code has been used
That code has been used

Ugh. Screw it.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
Hope the PC open beta starts soon....got a code but they sent out xbox one codes again for some reason (after the xbox beta became open) and the ea site isn't working, so cant trade it ><

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Eh. If I ever get up the effort to sign up and download it, I wouldn't mind giving it a go. It looks rather unique, I'm just not a fan of only twelve player games.

Edit: You may want to update your article. They are no longer accepting PC beta testers.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i got selected and im having a blast with this game. so far no real issues besides maybe not grabbing a ledge/edge, some textures not sharp enough, even when set on highest settings but never the less, a damn awesome game that i even pre ordered it.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I was selected for the Xbox One beta and I've been having a blast! I can understand why they might believe not having a single player would be detrimental to the marketing of Titanfall but this game is bags of fun. And that more than makes up for it. I'm now even more hyped than before! I can also say that the human player count was the right choice - sure the AI is dumb and I've found two enemy AI waiting in a room together just staring each other down - but when the Titans drop in it would be carnage with anymore human players. I know it's been a controversial choice but it's for the better. The only real issue I have had is that the beta is caped to level 14 and reached that in one night, luckily the challenges offer a solid reason to come back and earn some weapon/titan upgrades.

I tried to play Battlefield 4 afterwards and it felt, well, boring!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
FinalDream said:
I was selected for the Xbox One beta and I've been having a blast! I can understand why they might believe not having a single player would be detrimental to the marketing of Titanfall but this game is bags of fun. And that more than makes up for it. I'm now even more hyped than before! I can also say that the human player count was the right choice - sure the AI is dumb and I've found two enemy AI waiting in a room together just staring each other down - but when the Titans drop in it would be carnage with anymore human players. I know it's been a controversial choice but it's for the better. The only real issue I have had is that the beta is caped to level 14 and reached that in one night, luckily the challenges offer a solid reason to come back and earn some weapon/titan upgrades.

I tried to play Battlefield 4 afterwards and it felt, well, boring!
just reached level 14. pc version.
but agreed. i also saw how some of them are just standing in a room doing nothing. hey, at least something to shoot at :D
also agreed that you want more of it just to reach new unlockables :D

havent touched BF4 yet since im still having some problems, but to be honest, i dont feel like playing it anymore. surely wasted my money on this game :(

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
Pain in the ass way of getting into the beta.

That code has been used
That code has been used
That code has been used
That code has been used

Ugh. Screw it.
Couldn't agree more. I finally wake up to see this news and check his twitter when I see (7hours ago). Yeah, there's definitely a working key there in those 20 keys.

They should stop working with our feelings and just open it for everyone. That's the point ain't it? To break the servers and see if they can handle the huge influx of people trying to play so Diablo 3 error 37 shouldn't happen all over again.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I actually got my beta key yesterday, just in the process of downloading.

I hope that goes smoothly though, origin and my router don't really see eye to eye. Keeps crashing my entire internet connection.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Longstreet said:

I hope that goes smoothly though, origin and my router don't really see eye to eye. Keeps crashing my entire internet connection.
wow. funny.
origin and my router get a long even better then steam. i can see my self lucky to reach 1mb/s with steam when downloading, wile with origin i had between 7-9mb/s. so for once i pre ordered it and hope that these 25GB will be downloaded in a few hours.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Metalrocks said:
Longstreet said:

wow. funny.
origin and my router get a long even better then steam. i can see my self lucky to reach 1mb/s with steam when downloading, wile with origin i had between 7-9mb/s. so for once i pre ordered it and hope that these 25GB will be downloaded in a few hours.
Tell me your secret will ya. I cant download anything for more than 5% before my internet stops working and i gotta reset the router.

Sometimes got this problem with steam every once in a while too, untill i set the download region to sweden and the d/l limit to 2mb.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Longstreet said:
Metalrocks said:
Longstreet said:

wow. funny.
Tell me your secret will ya. I cant download anything for more than 5% before my internet stops working and i gotta reset the router.

Sometimes got this problem with steam every once in a while too, untill i set the download region to sweden and the d/l limit to 2mb.
Does it just cut out when downloading or just whenever it feels like it? because if its the latter then it may be a problem with the router. Had that problem myself a while ago. Bit annoying really.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Longstreet said:
Metalrocks said:
Longstreet said:

wow. funny.

ok, should clarify that i dont have any drops.
i set steam to hong kong (because i moved there) and the speed is still the same as i had in australia.
origin on the other hand had no problem what so ever to switch automatically to chinese. so every time i go to the origin store, its all in chinese but i can switch to english as well.
but generally i had no issues with origin even in australia. download were always faster then on steam.

in your case i would say it might be your area or your provider is not very reliable.

sorry i coulndt really help.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
gibboss28 said:
Does it just cut out when downloading or just whenever it feels like it? because if its the latter then it may be a problem with the router. Had that problem myself a while ago. Bit annoying really.[/quote]

Just when downloading from steam of origin. If i use other download sites, like mediafire or certain other sites it works fine, when my dad downloads stuff from news groups nothing happens. But if i try and download shit from steam or origin the power cable spends more time out of the router than in it.

Also happens every once in a while after a long on line gaming session. But not too often.

speaking off titanfall, still not done downloading.