Titanfall's Season Pass is Now Completely Free!

-Datura-

Nov 21, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Yup! They can only be applauded for what ended up screwing over people like me who actually paid for it.
Yeah, what a ripjob. You only got, like, 12 months head start on most people. Would you rather play with nobody?

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
To people being salty about losing $25, think about it this way. You benefit the most from this. You get people to play with you.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
To people being salty about losing $25, think about it this way. You benefit the most from this. You get people to play with you.

Sep 24, 2008
-Datura- said:
ObsidianJones said:
Yup! They can only be applauded for what ended up screwing over people like me who actually paid for it.
Yeah, what a ripjob. You only got, like, 12 months head start on most people. Would you rather play with nobody?
I rather an integral part of the game play experience, variety, not be sliced off and then nickel and dimed in the first place. Separating the haves and the have nots needlessly as an incentive to pay more for what should be already a part of the experience.

And while that's what we have now, it comes at a cost of possibly a few hundred thousand already dropping down the money for it.

I know it's fun to be flippant, but when it comes to paying for something early or getting something free... I'd stick to the free camp every day, all day. And as this is something that people have mentioned to me before (I'm not saying that you're actually saying we're getting the game early), the season pass buyers didn't get it before everyone else. We got it at the same time. It was just already paid for. Non season pass owners could have gotten it at any time. In fact, if they chose, they could have gotten it on the same day that the DLC dropped as the season pass owners.

They just happened to luck out now with the Devs going "I know you didn't find this worth your money... SURPRISE, YOU GET IT ANYWAY!"

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
-Datura- said:
ObsidianJones said:
I rather an integral part of the game play experience, variety, not be sliced off and then nickel and dimed in the first place. Separating the haves and the have nots needlessly as an incentive to pay more for what should be already a part of the experience.

And while that's what we have now, it comes at a cost of possibly a few hundred thousand already dropping down the money for it.

I know it's fun to be flippant, but when it comes to paying for something early or getting something free... I'd stick to the free camp every day, all day. And as this is something that people have mentioned to me before (I'm not saying that you're actually saying we're getting the game early), the season pass buyers didn't get it before everyone else. We got it at the same time. It was just already paid for. Non season pass owners could have gotten it at any time. In fact, if they chose, they could have gotten it on the same day that the DLC dropped as the season pass owners.

They just happened to luck out now with the Devs going "I know you didn't find this worth your money... SURPRISE, YOU GET IT ANYWAY!"
Could you explain how this is any different from a game going on a massive sale a year after release or even being given away like they do for PS+ and sometimes on steam.

The simple fact is that games devaluate over time. It will always be a bad financial decision to buy day 1 or early in life. If it devaluated so much that it is worth $0, tough luck to you, person who spent money on it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Elfgore said:
This is great what they've done, but they kinda screwed over people who liked the game enough from the get go to buy the season pass. Seems kinda stupid to piss them off by pretty much saying they wasted twenty-five dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm applauding what they've done, but they really should give something back to the people who have purchased the season pass.[footnote]No, I have not purchased this game yet. I would be in the group benefiting from this.[/footnote]
Hard to see this as anything but a middle finger to the ones that did buy the season pass. Which is why they always say. Season passes are for suckers.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
That?s very nice, I recently bought titanfall on sale after it was free for a short while(that?s how you sell games), so far I?ve really enjoyed it despite the fact I?m not that big a fan of cod like shooting, I generally prefer games like quake or team fortress where you don?t have regenerating health but can actually take a few bullets before you die, thankfully the titans and the mobility of pilots more than make up for that problem.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Between this and the permanent 48hour demo what I'm mainly hearing is PLEASE GOD SOMEBODY BUY THIS GAME.

It's nice that all of Titanfall can now be had for about £15, but it was a £15-20 game to begin with regardless of EA's grand vision that we'd all pay £85 for the base game and nine extra maps that came later.

It's a year later and EA still haven't told anyone how many copies of Titanfall they sold (so not many), presumably they are trying to drum up some or any interest they can for the sequel they greenlit before the first was even released.

There must be a lot of hand wringing going on at Respawn about Titanfall 2 as well, Danger close lasted exactly two releases as Danger close, their 'first' release was a middling FPS with not enough content too.

Elfgore said:
This is great what they've done, but they kinda screwed over people who liked the game enough from the get go to buy the season pass.
Those people are few and far between.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I played Titanfall almost religiously everyday before/after work for a couple hours. Great stress reliever/inducer (depending on the circumstances).

Got my brother into it as well. But like some people have said, the PC community sort of died out a bit. You still got some of the dedicated players like any online game, but it got to the point where I would end up leaving and joining the same exact server at least 4 times with the same people in a row.

I had about 150 hours into it. If this helps expand the playerbase again, I might consider picking it back up.

Sep 24, 2008
Fireprufe15 said:
Could you explain how this is any different from a game going on a massive sale a year after release or even being given away like they do for PS+ and sometimes on steam.

The simple fact is that games devaluate over time. It will always be a bad financial decision to buy day 1 or early in life. If it devaluated so much that it is worth $0, tough luck to you, person who spent money on it.
And you're making my point.

What is the incentive to buy it now if it will devalue over time? Why not wait and hope it goes free like other games? If not, just settle for the main game.

It's a bad strategy for developers. Done enough over time, it will de-value their own DLC if we come to expect it will eventually go for free.

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Fireprufe15 said:

What is the incentive to buy it now if it will devalue over time? Why not wait and hope it goes free like other games? If not, just settle for the main game.

It's a bad strategy for developers. Done enough over time, it will de-value their own DLC if we come to expect it will eventually go for free.
Well of course it's a bad strategy. But the thing is, the game has no playerbase anymore. It's giving away DLC for free in order to get people to buy the base game.

Do you expect every single thing you buy to be a AAA gold experience? The fact of the matter is things can fail. The fact of the matter is that no one is really playing it, and no one is buying it.

The incentive of buying a game when it comes out is to have it now instead of later. You're paying more to experience it earlier. Yes you can wait for sales, and in fact many people do that. Everyone who ever bought videogames knows if you don't want to pay full price for a game, you wait until it's on sale. I'm sorry you somehow didn't know that, but its no ones fault but your own. And would you rather never have played the game in the past year that it's been out in order to save the money you spent?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Atlas13 said:
the thing is, the game has no playerbase anymore.
I don't think the Player Base is that dead. I have not had a problem finding a match. But, the vast majority of people that are going to buy this, already have done so (Including me, and I got a bargain price on all of it). Maybe maintain interest in the IP? I think Titanfall 2 is coming soon.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hey, maybe I should wind up my two days of free 'game time' to celebrate this. Meanwhile the standard edition of Titanfall is no longer available in Origin. So basically while the DLC is now free, the game got 5 bucks more expensive. (IIRC the standard edition was 14.90 and now the deluxe version is 19.90.)

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Atlas13 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Fireprufe15 said:

Well of course it's a bad strategy. But the thing is, the game has no playerbase anymore. It's giving away DLC for free in order to get people to buy the base game.

Do you expect every single thing you buy to be a AAA gold experience? The fact of the matter is things can fail. The fact of the matter is that no one is really playing it, and no one is buying it.

The incentive of buying a game when it comes out is to have it now instead of later. You're paying more to experience it earlier. Yes you can wait for sales, and in fact many people do that. Everyone who ever bought videogames knows if you don't want to pay full price for a game, you wait until it's on sale. I'm sorry you somehow didn't know that, but its no ones fault but your own. And would you rather never have played the game in the past year that it's been out in order to save the money you spent?
Exactly. You buy it day one because you want it day one, not because it is a good financial decision, which it never is.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Fireprufe15 said:

But you miss the point. Games don't devalue simply because they devalue, they devalue over time because less and less people actually buy them.

So you would rather have games cost $60 for life?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
McElroy said:
Hey, maybe I should wind up my two days of free 'game time' to celebrate this. Meanwhile the standard edition of Titanfall is no longer available in Origin. So basically while the DLC is now free, the game got 5 bucks more expensive. (IIRC the standard edition was 14.90 and now the deluxe version is 19.90.)
Depending on your internet speed though you might spend the first day just downloading it all...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
AnthrSolidSnake said:
McElroy said:
Depending on your internet speed though you might spend the first day just downloading it all...
I don't know how much the DLCs add to it, but the standard dl size is apparently about 21GB. It's still big as hell, yeah, but I have a 100Mb/s connection so that's only 30 minutes in ideal conditions.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
McElroy said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
McElroy said:
I don't know how much the DLCs add to it, but the standard dl size is apparently about 21GB. It's still big as hell, yeah, but I have a 100Mb/s connection so that's only 30 minutes in ideal conditions.
I forgot they compressed the download itself. I was thinking of it's 50+GB install size.

Sep 24, 2008
Fireprufe15 said:
But you miss the point. Games don't devalue simply because they devalue, they devalue over time because less and less people actually buy them.

So you would rather have games cost $60 for life?
I speak of DLC, you speak of games. My gripe is that developers plan and strip away parts of games and sell it for DLC to add monetization.

My gripe is that before, 60 dollars got you the whole experience. Now, 60 bucks gets you the strip down model, and an extra 20 is for a complete version.

My gripe is that if some of us don't feel like having to pay 80 dollars for a complete game right off the bat and waiting for the GoTY version? We get companies proclaiming games like Tomb Raider 2013 and Sleeping Dogs Financial Failures [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations] for not reaching their instant, lofty goals.

Atlas13 said:

Every single thing we buy now is a triple A experience. Which seems to be hold back and nickel and dime. Which is causing me to return to my ways of the steam sale. Which some developers seem not to like.

I'm actually finding it slightly disturbing that people are having trouble separating the idea of wanting a complete game at launch with buying a core game with DLC on the horizon.

I (used to) buy season passes because I want a complete experience. I could care less when I get it, but I want the experience. If you want to stress when I get it as a factor, I can see why. But my point is if I could get the complete experience with just the 60 dollars, I wouldn't care less about DLC.

If it feels like I need something to supplement an experience because it wasn't enough, then that to me says that the experience was insubstantial. Incomplete. Time frame doesn't enter into the fact that a lot of these games are starting to feel hallow without the needed DLC.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
truckspond said:
Still no viable offline singleplayer component.

Still no value for me in this game
do you expect singleplayer component from world of warcraft? A mmo is a mmo. its good that they dont just throw a convoluted singleplayer just to mark a tick in the box. if thats not your thing thats fine, dont play it, but expecting MMOs to cater t your needs is unfair.

ObsidianJones said:

Thats simple. The incentive is that you get to play it now and not in a year or two. and to those that want to play it its incentive give enough that some people shell out 80 dollars for a game that drops to 40 in a month. and they KNOW it will drop, but the month of fun is worth the difference for them. thats the incentive. Its the exact same as when TF2 went free. some people asked what was the point of buying it for those that did and the answer was simply. you got to enjoy a great game for 5 years.

And the tendency is contrary right now. DLCs used to be free, and they are getting more and more expensive now. and DLC should be free. we paid for the game already by buying it. DLC should be the extra content incentive to buy it for those that didnt think it was worth it at launch.