"Titans" Actress Anna Diop Has Been Hit With Racist Insults

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I like how people are still using the pre-production stills.

I mean, this pic still looks better in motion, but like I said before, she's got a layer of CGI for the actual show.

Though I do like the vintage Starfire comics pages floating around. Bigger defined lips, prominent nose, I can see why they went with s black gal. The facial structure lines up.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Captain Marvelous said:
Well, as much as I like to think that the world is full of morally grey choices, this seems pretty damn black and white. It's either A.) You approve of racist hate mail or B.) You don't. There really is no middle ground here. As such, fuck these racist pieces of shit. I hate it when things from my childhood are changed as much as the next fan, but getting vitriolic about it to the point of harassment is unhealthy and disgusting.
And this is the truth of it.

There isn't and shouldn't be a "but you can see why people are upset" about this. Be upset all you want, that isn't an excuse or justification for racist hate mail.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
altnameJag said:

I mean, this pic still looks better in motion, but like I said before, she's got a layer of CGI for the actual show.

Though I do like the vintage Starfire comics pages floating around. Bigger defined lips, prominent nose, I can see why they went with s black gal. The facial structure lines up.
Even though it looks better than without, I am still not digging the length of the wig and bulky coat. Her long hair was a part of her core character, that wig she has is much too short. Where is her trail of hair?! I might even be able to live with the tighter curls due to how it bulks up the hair if they had the wig much longer and styled properly to match her character.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
On topic now:

It does not matter one tiny, insignificant bit how bad a production is, how bad an individual actor or actress is, or how bad their costume looks.

1) Do not racially abuse anyone. Just don't do it. Ever. There is no excuse.

2) Do not single out a non-white person as a scapegoat for your feelings on the overall quality of the production

The latter is obvious to anyone who knows what's going on. Because while you may not be engaging in open racism, the reason you're going after that person is ultimately because you know racists will support you and dogpile your target. People of colour are already vulnerable to abuse, harassment and dogpiling on social media because people are really fucking racist. If you're not a racist, maybe don't take advantage of that, even if it's a convenient way of getting your "message" across.

Apr 17, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Even though it looks better than without, I am still not digging the length of the wig and bulky coat. Her long hair was a part of her core character, that wig she has is much too short. Where is her trail of hair?! I might even be able to live with the tighter curls due to how it bulks up the hair if they had the wig much longer and styled properly to match her character.
Practicality in both cases, I'd imagine. It'd be hard to move with that sheer length of wig on, let alone get into action scenes. I imagine talking without getting hair in your mouth would be quite the challenge too.
And the coat is just because its damn cold walking round in just Starfire's usual brand of attire. Its what Diop said herself when pictures first emerged. Possibly also some sort of disguise, as Starfire from that bit of the trailer looks a bit off-guard

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
Evil put it far better than I ever could.
undeadsuitor said:
kiri3tsubasa said:
Probably because they couldn't make it seem bad, but when the exact same criticism happens to also be against the costume design for a black female they could ride the white horse and claim racism despite their being none.
And yet, with an entire cast of awful costumes you and the internet are still laser focused on the black one?

last time I checked the dude playing beast boy, who is not green, nor Caucasian, and is wearing a shitty hoodie as a costume, hasn't had to shut off his twitter comments.

Perhaps nerds are just kinda racist? not like nazi or kkk racist, but certainly a weird anti-pc kneejerk racist that makes them more critical towards black people than others.
Frankly nerd culture is still very exclusionary when it comes to the mainstream on the internet. We don't have a long history of playing nice with non-white men. It disgusts me.

Though I do have a pet theory as to why people on Twitter are more pissed Starfire online than Beast Boy. I don't want to go into too much detail, but it involves the fact that they didn't find Beast Boy attractive.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Palindromemordnilap said:
Lil devils x said:
Practicality in both cases, I'd imagine. It'd be hard to move with that sheer length of wig on, let alone get into action scenes. I imagine talking without getting hair in your mouth would be quite the challenge too.
And the coat is just because its damn cold walking round in just Starfire's usual brand of attire. Its what Diop said herself when pictures first emerged. Possibly also some sort of disguise, as Starfire from that bit of the trailer looks a bit off-guard
I literally have hair past my ass. What my friend calls " princess hair" LOL! I don't think it is anywhere near as difficult to maneuver with long hair as you are making it out to be. I have always had long hair, even when I was captain of my gymnastics team in school. You can put it up and style it according to what you are doing. Even if they had only gone with hair as long as mine or even above her ass, it would have been better than the length they chose to use.

As for it being cold walking around in her attire, that is why you think about that before you choose to shoot in an area or at specific times of the year. That is bad production and scheduling and they had 100% control over that and that should have no impact on costume decisions. Besides, when we were competing in gymnastics, no one could care less how cold we were in unheated gyms in what looks like a bathing suit...

You don't alter the story, character or costumes due to bad production decisions. I do hope you are right that it is some sort of disguise and will have a wardrobe change at some point.

Apr 17, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I literally have hair past my ass. What my friend calls " princess hair" LOL! I don't think it is anywhere near as difficult to maneuver with long hair as you are making it out to be. I have always had long hair, even when I was captain of my gymnastics team in school. You can put it up and style it according to what you are doing. Even if they had only gone with hair as long as mine or even above her ass, it would have been better than the length they chose to use.
Straight or curly hair? Because mine does turn into dense curls like Starfire's and its a pain to deal with if it reaches even shoulder length. Down to my hips and also a wig? I don't think that would be pleasant at all.

Lil devils x said:
As for it being cold walking around in her attire, that is why you think about that before you choose to shoot in an area or at specific times of the year. That is bad production and scheduling and they had 100% control over that and that should have no impact on costume decisions. Besides, when we were competing in gymnastics, no one could care less how cold we were in unheated gyms in what looks like a bathing suit...

You don't alter the story, character or costumes due to bad production decisions. I do hope you are right that it is some sort of disguise and will have a wardrobe change at some point.
From what we have of set photos and the trailer whenever she's wearing the coat she seems to be in the same place. It looks like she might have just arrived on earth and this is her trying to blend in a little bit, grabbing something to put over her purple spacesuit. Would also explain why she's roasting those dudes alive (sort of), she's stressed out and massively over-reacting in panic. And most likely not aware how squishy humans are yet. At least thats certainly what I'm hoping...

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Palindromemordnilap said:
Lil devils x said:
Straight or curly hair? Because mine does turn into dense curls like Starfire's and its a pain to deal with if it reaches even shoulder length. Down to my hips and also a wig? I don't think that would be pleasant at all.

Lil devils x said:

From what we have of set photos and the trailer whenever she's wearing the coat she seems to be in the same place. It looks like she might have just arrived on earth and this is her trying to blend in a little bit, grabbing something to put over her purple spacesuit. Would also explain why she's roasting those dudes alive (sort of), she's stressed out and massively over-reacting in panic. And most likely not aware how squishy humans are yet. At least thats certainly what I'm hoping...
Yea my hair is straight, but that also makes it more "fly away" as there is nothing locking it into place as curls tend to latch on to one another. They didn't have to use the tight curled wig for her character, they could have used a loose curls wig like the ones I added above. None of the original starfire photos show her having tight curls at all, so not sure why they chose that wig for her. Wigs are actually easier to style and keep in place than natural hair as they are pre styled before they go on the head and can be secured very well to where you can hang upside down and do flips without them budging if they are are secured properly. Performers have been wearing them to do all sorts of stunts for years. Granted if it were floor length that would become a hazard for sure.

Of course it does not even have to be down to the arse, even mid back could give the same effect especially if they add tracers to her fire hair to make it look like a trail of hair behind her as it is supposed to. Sure they can do that now, but the hair doesn't even look angled to a tip as it should and they cannot really do that with the length of wig they chose.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
altnameJag said:

Yeah... Still looks like shit.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Who cares? it's a DC movie its probably going to suck anyway. doesn't matter that the cast looks nothing like the originals when they are most certainly not going to be like the originals anyway.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
ex951753 said:
Yeah... Still looks like shit.
And probably cost a whole bunch more than a gallon of orange paint and some green contacts.

Truly a win/win situation.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
lionsprey said:
Who cares? it's a DC movie its probably going to suck anyway. doesn't matter that the cast looks nothing like the originals when they are most certainly not going to be like the originals anyway.
Um, people who think racism is wrong might care. I'd ask why you bothered posting if you don't think this is a big deal at all.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
altnameJag said:

That still looks like absolute fucking shit. The whole show in fact looks like absolute fucking shit that I won't be watching.

Still going to condemn racists who use derrogatory racist language against the actress. She has the right to participate in a shit show without being called a monkey or having people tell her the reason her Starfire sucks is because she's black.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Agent_Z said:
lionsprey said:
Um, people who think racism is wrong might care. I'd ask why you bothered posting if you don't think this is a big deal at all.
i was referring to the racist people caring enough about the movie not the people caring about the racists

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Lil devils x said:
Personally I don't like the hair in either of the photos you showed. Starfire is supposed to have A TON of hair, so long it trails behind her and so fluffy and full it dwarfs her face. It is not supposed to be tight curls and it is not supposed to be flat like the other photo. What they should have used was a FULL over bulked up lady Godiva wig in fire red. More like lady godiva:
cut a bit off the front style to a tip in the back and poof it up a bit more dye it red and this would even work ( of course in a much better quality of wig though):
This is the hair they should have been going for here:

The awful wig they used looks nothing like her character wig, but neither does the flat straight hair. It needs to go in a different direction all together.
Problem is, the best known version of starfire is probably

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
lionsprey said:
Who cares? it's a DC movie its probably going to suck anyway.
I don't know about you, but I'm still surprised about the number of people who defend with passion past DC movies like Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
CaitSeith said:
lionsprey said:
Who cares? it's a DC movie its probably going to suck anyway.
I don't know about you, but I'm still surprised about the number of people who defend with passion past DC movies like Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman.
Well this isn't a DC movie (it's a t.v. show) nor is it being made by the people who made those films.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
lionsprey said:
Agent_Z said:
lionsprey said:
i was referring to the racist people caring enough about the movie not the people caring about the racists
Well this isn't a DC movie (it's a t.v. show) nor is it being made by the people who made the DC films.