TLOU2 Review Thread

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They did need one, and this really isn't it.

An equally huge problem is that Joel's death is such an overbearing trauma for Ellie (and also obviously for the player) that it completely paints the experience from that point forward. Making moments of levity and random banter feel extremely ill-fitting, considering this happened a week ago at best (and for the player a few minutes ago). You've just bludgeoned your audience, and you're trying to continue on on the same Naughty Dog foot. 'Yeah, chillin' on your horse. Yeah, lame puns. Yeah, sharing quiet moments.' It's like if they gave you control of Joel a week after his daughter died in his arms and he's just shooting the breeze with Tommy.

If they did the 4-year time skip after Joel's death it would be a different story, but a week after, no. That Joel dies I have no problem with; his story ended at the end of the first game, and the only reason he still needs to be in the story is to play a supportive character to Ellie's story. Even how it happens is not uncommon for the world they live in, but from the moment that happens the Naughty Dog formula is shot and simply can't be relied upon anymore, yet they do just that a few minutes later. Every moment of levity and banter lands with a cold splat in the wake of it, and the game doesn't even draw attention to that. No, Ellie is actually semi enjoying this trip with Dina and the little moments they have, a week after she was screaming and crying while forced to the ground to watch Joel get his skull brutally bashed open. No game, you don't just horribly shock your audience like that, and then just have them continue on with the adventure like it's any other Naughty Dog game.

And considering things are only going to get worse, I'm honestly not sure I want to continue this game at all.
That is very strange. One of the most common aspects of plots about the extremes of revenge is how the person seeking it becomes tunnel visioned on it and it begins to dominate their personality and actions. The story is said to be about brutal revenge yet they're trying to have their cake and eat it too it seems?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That is very strange. One of the most common aspects of plots about the extremes of revenge is how the person seeking it becomes tunnel visioned on it and it begins to dominate their personality and actions. The story is said to be about brutal revenge yet they're trying to have their cake and eat it too it seems?

Idk...is this game supposed to be like a Tarantino movie, with a bunch of random time jumps over the course of just a few days? Like I’m still near the beginning doing a supply run or something with Dina where you find the dead moose, but apparently Joel’s death already happened and they’re going to skip back to that at some point? Is that why she’s asked how she’s doing with “Joel” before they leave?

Idk, I’m confused. It makes me think the ending is going to be some weird gotcha moment that loops back on itself or something *hence* cycle of revenge.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh, I also forgot to mention, the game makes a direct, spoken connection between the survivors of its world and survivors of the Holocaust. Which, WOW videogame, thinking mighty fucking highly of yourself there. aren't you? Trying to tie one of the most truly horrific historical events of the modern age to your little zombie fiction to score "realness" points. This gave me a really fucking bad taste in my mouth.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oh, I also forgot to mention, the game makes a direct, spoken connection between the survivors of its world and survivors of the Holocaust. Which, WOW videogame, thinking mighty fucking highly of yourself there. aren't you? Trying to tie one of the most truly horrific historical events of the modern age to your little zombie fiction to score "realness" points. This gave me a really fucking bad taste in my mouth.
I must say that I find you reactions here incredibly heartening to me. You were very much against the rhetoric that the story is bad but after playing the game you are giving an honest opinion of it even if it goes against what you were hoping for. I find that very respectable.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Probably has something to do with Druckmann being Jewish himself, and growing up in Israel. Also I remember reading that Dina’s model is Jewish, so there’s some personal representation they’re threading into the game.

It sounds bad of course since we haven’t experienced an actual apocalypse (yet), but considering the world population was devastated in the game’s event, then whichever character making the connection would logically have a point.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I must say that I find you reactions here incredibly heartening to me. You were very much against the rhetoric that the story is bad but after playing the game you are giving an honest opinion of it even if it goes against what you were hoping for. I find that very respectable.
I wasn't against the rhetoric that the story was bad, I was against the rhetoric 'game is bad cuz gay/SJW'. And I still am against that, because it's stupid. But from what I was seeing tone wise I could already sense I wasn't going to like it. I just didn't know how fucking awful it was going to get.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Did you find it engaging though is the question. I called a lot of the things Druckmann will tick off the world is a horrible place checklist and unfortunately a lot of them came true.

Won't call Druckmann a hack but he hit those notes on making the most depressing game perfectly

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Probably has something to do with Druckmann being Jewish himself, and growing up in Israel. Also I remember reading that Dina’s model is Jewish, so there’s some personal representation they’re threading into the game.

It sounds bad of course since we haven’t experienced an actual apocalypse (yet), but considering the world population was devastated in the game’s event, then whichever character making the connection would logically have a point.
Yeah no sorry, Druckmann needed to leave that shit at the door. If he wanted to reference it he shouldn't have approached it be literally going 'Look, the Holocaust and our zombie apocalypse are pretty much the same. That's how you can tell our fictional world is just super legit.' It also smacks of an underhanded way to staunch any criticism.

Reactions: MrCalavera

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
From Digital Foundry’s tech review:

Animation quality is also on another level. Naughty Dog is well known for its expert use of animation blending but for this game, the team uses the concept of motion matching - a technique designed to ease the combination of character movement with animation data. It works by capturing lots of animation data and then building a system to interpret that data in a responsive, realistic way. What this means is that all the basic animations including running, walking, turning, ducking and more all exhibit physically correct motion without compromising responsiveness. So yes, The Last of Us Part 2 is a more responsive game than Naughty Dog's previous works. Moving through the world feels slightly snappier all around, but it's the fluid transitions between actions that sticks out the most.

That was one of the first things I noticed is how much smoother it seems to play, especially in melee.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I wasn't against the rhetoric that the story was bad, I was against the rhetoric 'game is bad cuz gay/SJW'. And I still am against that, because it's stupid. But from what I was seeing tone wise I could already sense I wasn't going to like it. I just didn't know how fucking awful it was going to get.
I would say that there's a lot of people, myself included in many respects, that see a lot of "SJW" stuff to be people hiding behind a movement or "muh themes" in order to excuse their poor talent or behavior rather than actual passion behind the things they champion. I don't really have a problem with the championing of people being mistreated, I just have a distrust that the people doing the championing are doing so in good faith. But because they are using these groups and people as both their shield and battering ram, all most people see is that group rather than the ones using it.

Edit: I have to say, looking at some of the reviews on Metacritic is depressing. While there's a lot of the shallow comments you'd expect, I'm also seeing a lot of reviews of fans of the series feeling genuinely hurt by the poor story.

-People play for the characters and story, which is nothing short of disappointing and misguided in this game. The utter lack of respect toward previous or even new characters prevents the player from getting invested in them, and the game fails to utilize the one relationship the player was already invested in going into the game. Instead they demolish that relationship, and never really show it getting back to anything of what it used to be. Most other characters in this game are stagnant and replaceable, and while they have good performances, fail to make me care about them in a meaningful way. That is, until they get brutally murdered on a quest for revenge. By the end of the game I was so numb to violence nothing shocked me anymore, and I’m not sure what the game was even trying to say through all this violence and misery. What I do know is that I feel devastated for Ellie and deep hatred for another character. I truly hope Naughty Dog lets this franchise die in the pit they dug for it. I absolutely loved the first game, but this train wreck wants me to feel depressed for nothing. Some of the lessons it tries to teach seem so stupidly simple I asked myself if I was even hearing it right.-

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The critic/audience divide was written the moment we saw the leaks. Given this is a dark and gritty experience it was no surprise there going be your typical group of chuds and alt right performing the same old dance and sing of fuck the critics.
Oh it's only right wingers and Chuds who don't like dark and gritty?

Has anyone told Moviebob?

Or has anyone told all the people who dislike the DCEU films by Zack Snyder?

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I would say that there's a lot of people, myself included in many respects, that see a lot of "SJW" stuff to be people hiding behind a movement or "muh themes" in order to excuse their poor talent or behavior rather than actual passion behind the things they champion. I don't really have a problem with the championing of people being mistreated, I just have a distrust that the people doing the championing are doing so in good faith. But because they are using these groups and people as both their shield and battering ram, all most people see is that group rather than the ones using it.
No, these channels make a big deal out nothing. Like when the She-Ra series became a thing, and all these morons freaked the fuck out. Or when the Harley Quinn cartoon made a little jab at rich, white people. They're geared to pounching on anything they see as people trying to create a bit more diverity in media and laughing at it or being flat-out hostile. The same happened with TLoU2 pre release hate. Just because the game turned out to be a gangantuan pile of manure doesn't change how hateful and homophobic/transphobic these people were and still are.

God. if only these stupid idiots would've been the only ones mad at it for their bigoted reasons and that was it. Unfortunately there's actual legitimate reasons to hate this game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Edit: I have to say, looking at some of the reviews on Metacritic is depressing. While there's a lot of the shallow comments you'd expect, I'm also seeing a lot of reviews of fans of the series feeling genuinely hurt by the poor story.

It’s been said to death that that was part of the intent (I also read that particular example this AM). People need to be able to somewhat separate or at least distance their personal feelings of the original game’s warm fuzzies to at least be able to play Part 2 without needing therapy or something.

The bigger problem than the content and tone of the story and themes this time around being too brutal though, might be that it seems to play out with a certain amount of hypocrisy, as one of the more thoughtful reviews I’ve read points out. For all the seriousness of the themes it’s attempting to communicate, the underlying thread is it can’t escape the fact that it’s still a game.

I chuckle at the fact that Ellie has to stealth kill people by stabbing them in the throat, while Abby is Hulk strong and just squeezes till they pop.
I really wish we still had the laugh emoji for posts like this. That neck snap sound is a nice touch, but I can see it going from wince-inducing to being almost comical after the hundredth or so time. Is she the one that kills Joel? All my twisted sense of humor can picture now is her doing a most muscular pose afterwards all up in Ellie’s face.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
No, these channels make a big deal out nothing. Like when the She-Ra series became a thing, and all these morons freaked the fuck out. Or when the Harley Quinn cartoon made a little jab at rich, white people. They're geared to pounching on anything they see as people trying to create a bit more diverity in media and laughing at it or being flat-out hostile. The same happened with TLoU2 pre release hate. Just because the game turned out to be a gangantuan pile of manure doesn't change how hateful and homophobic/transphobic these people were and still are.

God. if only these stupid idiots would've been the only ones mad at it for their bigoted reasons and that was it. Unfortunately there's actual legitimate reasons to hate this game.
I will have to disagree but I don't think either of us will get anywhere with each other on this particular topic.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyone else point out how the trailer blatantly lied to people.

The scene where ellie gets her mouths covered and pulled aside the she turns and asks, "what are you doing here?"

In the trailer Joel replies, "You really think id let you do this on your own?"

People lost their minds.

Turns out....that scene is a big fat lie. In fact a lot of the marketing seems to be very half-truthy.

Naughty dog at least SquareEnix was up front about not giving us the game we though we were getting at first.

Dicks.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Even how it happens is not uncommon for the world they live in, but from the moment that happens the Naughty Dog formula is shot and simply can't be relied upon anymore, yet they do just that a few minutes later. Every moment of levity and banter lands with a cold splat in the wake of it, and the game doesn't even draw attention to that. No, Ellie is actually semi enjoying this trip with Dina and the little moments they have, a week after she was screaming and crying while forced to the ground to watch Joel get his skull brutally bashed open. No game, you don't just horribly shock your audience like that, and then just have them continue on with the adventure like it's any other Naughty Dog game.

And considering things are only going to get worse, I'm honestly not sure I want to continue this game at all.
I actually felt the very same about Uncharted 3 when playing. Every single character is telling Drake to stop the adventure because Sully is old and could die. And, it all does make perfect sense, Drake can just go home and the villain isn't going to win or cause the end of the world or anything. Every gunfight and action set-piece didn't feel fun because of the guilt of continuing on with Sully and for really no reason (other than one-upping someone else really). The other aspect of it that made it even worse is that Sully isn't even consistent in his character from the very last game where he opted out of the adventure because he was too old and now he'll literally go anywhere with Drake no matter what. Anyway, I'm sure Uncharted 3 pales in comparison to what happens in TLOU2 (I haven't read any spoiler text) but the sense of you can't continue on the Naughty Dog formula is rather similar.

Mmmmmmm, bigot snadwiches. Put some of those mushrooms that the clicking guy has growing out of his face in there as well, delicious.

That is all I wanted to say.

Reactions: Catfood220

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Anyway, I'm sure Uncharted 3 pales in comparison to what happens in TLOU2 (I haven't read any spoiler text) but the sense of you can't continue on the Naughty Dog formula is rather similar.
Oh does it ever. I actually finished Uncharted 3, even again recently. But TLoU2 I got about 4 hours into, and I'm never touching this shitstain ever again.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Could it not possibly be that the actual reason they were mad at the game were the reason to be mad at it and knowing that diversity characters and inclusion would likely be used to shield it from any criticism or downplay criticisms of it. E.G. How James Rofle (AVGN) saying he wouldn't go to see Ghostbusters 2016 caused a load of publications to throw hissy fits calling him a woman hater and mocking him because he said basically "The trailers look bad, there's a lot of controversy round this I have no interest in seeing it or taking part in the nonsense controversy that will happen round reviews". It's happened a lot of places. People mostly weren't mad American Chavez was made to be a Latino a Lesbian from the Utopian Lesbian dimension, they were annoyed she was written so badly and her powers just often being whatever powers were needed to save the day even if she never had those powers or used them before E.G. her power to punch through time itself.