TLOU2 Review Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Same thing happened to me with Death's Stranding. I knew it was bad and I got it anyway because I wanted to see for myself......rip.

That one I’m definitely waiting for a PS+ *free* month, and I won’t start it until I’m completely bored with the other games I have.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I absolutely love the story but I can see how it will alienate many players. If the first one was mainstream Hollywood this is more like a Pascal Laugier movie. It's The Road versus Ghostland. I've never seen a story like this ever in a videogame and to be honest I never expected it espescially with these kind of production values. I'm blown away that a studio like Naughty Dog could deliver a game with such a singular, creative vision unafraid to make brash choices when it has made nothing but crowd pleasers upto now. That this is the same creative team that delivered the numerous Uncharted games with cheesy Indiana Jones style storylines. Never in a million years did I expect a game this avant-garde from them.

Reactions: Gyrobot

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I absolutely love the story but I can see how it will alienate many players. If the first one was mainstream Hollywood this is more like a Pascal Laugier movie. It's The Road versus Ghostland. I've never seen a story like this ever in a videogame and to be honest I never expected it espescially with these kind of production values. I'm blown away that a studio like Naughty Dog could deliver a game with such a singular, creative vision unafraid to make brash choices when it has made nothing but crowd pleasers upto now. That this is the same creative team that delivered the numerous Uncharted games with cheesy Indiana Jones style storylines. Never in a million years did I expect a game this avant-garde from them.
AH HA!!!!! IGN Spy you've let yourself be known! :D :D

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
AH HA!!!!! IGN Spy you've let yourself be known! :D :D
Well sacrasm aside I think he is being honest about it, I am no stranger to the kind of gutpunch ending in games like TiTP and other indie titles. But ND's creative vision for the game is still pretty out there and I am happy they went for the engaging experience vs fun

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well sacrasm aside I think he is being honest about it, I am no stranger to the kind of gutpunch ending in games like TiTP and other indie titles. But ND's creative vision for the game is still pretty out there and I am happy they went for the engaging experience vs fun
I am glad people genuinely like the game.

I personally wouldn't call it engaging in anyway, I was bored most of the time as I stated in my review.

But hey, if people are enjoying the game. Then I'm glad, I don't want anyone to hate a product they pay a lot of money for.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I am glad people genuinely like the game.

I personally wouldn't call it engaging in anyway, I was bored most of the time as I stated in my review.

But hey, if people are enjoying the game. Then I'm glad, I don't want anyone to hate a product they pay a lot of money for.
I guess it's also what you prefer in storylines. Some like stories with characters they can relate to and cheer for and others like stories that are unusual and experimental and find characters of secondary importance to this. To be honest with most of the new releases I buy I play maybe 30% of the game before I lose interest and more than often it is because I find the story fake, predictable and can almost see the grinds turning from the design committees with their excel sheets. These kind of dime a dozen videogame stories always make me lose motivation to play because I'm just no longer engaged once the novelty wears off but TLoU2 feels so different in that regard. It feels much more sincere and heartfelt like someone really wanted to tell this story instead of a big studio just trying to please it''s audience with more inoffensive melodramatic crap. Idk, but maybe it's just specific to my personal taste that I am just allergic to the latter. xD I love when you have to put in more of an effort and a story is not just easily 'consumed'. It's the difference between something that makes an impression and something that is instantly forgotten.

But it's all good you know. You enjoy what you enjoy. In the end it are just videogames.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I dunno, but I can tell you this, in the first 15 minutes of the game you play as Ellie and she inforgivingly belittles a guy for being drunk and making homophobic remarks at her the night before (though we don't see this encounter)

Apparently Ellie and another girl kissed, this guy talked shit, and Joel kissed his ass.

The next morning, Ellie is asked to go talk to this guy who hangs his head in shame at her and apologizes his ass off. He even gives her sandwiches for her patrol. Ellie calls him a bigot, then passed the sandwiches to her partner calling them "bigot sandwiches".

Which to me sets the tone for the ideology behind the writing on display within this game already. This guy was drunk and said shit he regrets, and then apologizes and tries to make it right or at least make a good faith offering, but Ellie doesn't forgive and just belittles him. Which is just like the Far Left to demonize someone forever for a single mistake and no amount of apologizing will help. One fuck up and you are ostracized for life, regardless of circumstances.

You see it all the time right? Someone makes a comment on Facebook or Twitter that someone doesn't like and they are basically lynched out of their job and their livelyhood just for saying fucking words.

So an hour into the game and i already have a shitty taste in my mouth.
People; oh look, foreshadowing that Ellie can hold grudges, even if seemingly petty.

Some people; uuugh, TeH LeFt AgEnDa, grrrrr!

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
People; oh look, foreshadowing that Ellie can hold grudges, even if seemingly petty.

Some people; uuugh, TeH LeFt AgEnDa, grrrrr!
That's not how you do that well. If Ellie kept doing it and holding the grudge then it would work as foreshadowing but you kind of need to do a bit more than that or have some escalation in it for it to really feel like it works and wasn't just a co-incidence in the writing.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I guess it's also what you prefer in storylines. Some like stories with characters they can relate to and cheer for and others like stories that are unusual and experimental and find characters of secondary importance to this. To be honest with most of the new releases I buy I play maybe 30% of the game before I lose interest and more than often it is because I find the story fake, predictable and can almost see the grinds turning from the design committees with their excel sheets. These kind of dime a dozen videogame stories always make me lose motivation to play because I'm just no longer engaged once the novelty wears off but TLoU2 feels so different in that regard. It feels much more sincere and heartfelt like someone really wanted to tell this story instead of a big studio just trying to please it''s audience with more inoffensive melodramatic crap. Idk, but maybe it's just specific to my personal taste that I am just allergic to the latter. xD I love when you have to put in more of an effort and a story is not just easily 'consumed'. It's the difference between something that makes an impression and something that is instantly forgotten.

But it's all good you know. You enjoy what you enjoy. In the end it are just videogames.
Do you only just play AAA big name american made stuff? Cause the stuff you describe fits almost all the stuff I play, it's all stuff someone really wanted to make, as it was made to be profitable even if it doesn't break 100k sales. (just finished a remake of a 2003 visual novel the other day for example)

Also, it's easy to make a game like this on the back of a game like the last of us 1, since a lot of people will get it just to be in that world again, so you already have a very high initial install base so even if you alienate people with your new way of making the game they will still have purchased it by that point. It's quite a bit harder to do when you have a brand new IP you're using for it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Do you only just play AAA big name american made stuff? Cause the stuff you describe fits almost all the stuff I play, it's all stuff someone really wanted to make, as it was made to be profitable even if it doesn't break 100k sales. (just finished a remake of a 2003 visual novel the other day for example)

Also, it's easy to make a game like this on the back of a game like the last of us 1, since a lot of people will get it just to be in that world again, so you already have a very high initial install base so even if you alienate people with your new way of making the game they will still have purchased it by that point. It's quite a bit harder to do when you have a brand new IP you're using for it.
I'm not familiar with the Japanese obscure stuff but do really enjoy the stories of games like Persona 5, Catherine, Yakuza or the neat little(and often touching) story vignettes in Dragon Quest 11(just to name a few recent titles). During the PS1 days I played almost the entire Squaresoft line-up and loved all of them. So yeah, I guess you have a point. xD

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's not how you do that well. If Ellie kept doing it and holding the grudge then it would work as foreshadowing but you kind of need to do a bit more than that or have some escalation in it for it to really feel like it works and wasn't just a co-incidence in the writing.

It’s her attitude in general. Can’t say I’ve ever been in a lesbian’s shoes, but combine it with being a teenager in that environment and it’s not a stretch to see how or why she might have a bit of a shell around her, along with the fact that she’s probably still harboring her history from the first game from a lot of people. If the guy made a callous remark, she’s acting like most typical teenagers would. Can’t really expect her to 180 it and be all affable like “Heyyy it’s no biggie we’re all pals here yukyuk!” It’s not like she chewed the guy out or anything. Just kinda sighed and wanted the awkward moment to pass.

On topic, I’m only at the Courthouse and have been exploring so far like I do in any of these types of games. Yeah that one pivotal scene earlier was tough, but I’m not seeing any glaring reason to call bs yet. Maybe that’ll happen down the road but I’m enjoying it more than the original overall. Doubt it’ll be something I’ll want to replay anytime soon, but that’s mostly due to pacing issues and dry moments in everything from gameplay to story. It feels like typical Naughty Dog, but they are at the height of their game here regardless. The gameplay is smoother, with more quality of life improvements than the Uncharted series had over 2.5 times as many games if we’re counting Lost Legacy.

I like how Ellie can maneuver almost like in Max Payne 3 when she’s prone, able to aim seamlessly in all directions and still scoot around even on her back. The jumping is functional enough for what the game’s designed for (mostly with a running start), the melee is frantic and butter smooth, with animation blending (matching?) well beyond anything from Uncharted. I also like how you don’t need to find shivs to handle clickers in stealth. Ellie likes to scamper even from a prone position which facilitates quickest getaways if needed from surprise attack.

The rope physics are pretty nifty looking as well. I can see the utility in it for future platforming sections. Breaking glass to access different areas or gear is something so simple but welcomed. Not sure why more of these types of games don’t do this.

The horse riding is mediocre especially after playing a lot of RDR2, but it works. Not sure how much I’ll like the large areas after 10-20 hours, unless they can incentivize exploration for more than some extra gear to get to the next area. You can tell it isn’t really Naughty Dog’s forte, but the Jeep from UC4 was fine in small doses. Speaking of, I did find a cool Easter Egg from Uncharted in a safety deposit box, and it could possibly have some hidden meaning later judging by the numbering.

All in all my early impressions are favorable. I’m only playing on Normal difficulty because I’d unlikely have the patience for more of a challenge based on revisiting the original beforehand. The game is well made from a technical perspective, looks exceptional in some areas, and only pacing issues are hampering my enjoyment so far. How the story pans out will ultimately be the deciding factor on how much the ride was worth it. They’ve got their work cut out for them in explaining the various degrees of Abby, let alone justifying having to play as her randomly.

Reactions: stroopwafel

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It’s her attitude in general. Can’t say I’ve ever been in a lesbian’s shoes, but combine it with being a teenager in that environment and it’s not a stretch to see how or why she might have a bit of a shell around her, along with the fact that she’s probably still harboring her history from the first game from a lot of people. If the guy made a callous remark, she’s acting like most typical teenagers would. Can’t really expect her to 180 it and be all affable like “Heyyy it’s no biggie we’re all pals here yukyuk!” It’s not like she chewed the guy out or anything. Just kinda sighed and wanted the awkward moment to pass.

On topic, I’m only at the Courthouse and have been exploring so far like I do in any of these types of games. Yeah that one pivotal scene earlier was tough, but I’m not seeing any glaring reason to call bs yet. Maybe that’ll happen down the road but I’m enjoying it more than the original overall. Doubt it’ll be something I’ll want to replay anytime soon, but that’s mostly due to pacing issues and dry moments in everything from gameplay to story. It feels like typical Naughty Dog, but they are at the height of their game here regardless. The gameplay is smoother, with more quality of life improvements than the Uncharted series had over 2.5 times as many games if we’re counting Lost Legacy.

I like how Ellie can maneuver almost like in Max Payne 3 when she’s prone, able to aim seamlessly in all directions and still scoot around even on her back. The jumping is functional enough for what the game’s designed for (mostly with a running start), the melee is frantic and butter smooth, with animation blending (matching?) well beyond anything from Uncharted. I also like how you don’t need to find shivs to handle clickers in stealth. Ellie likes to scamper even from a prone position which facilitates quickest getaways if needed from surprise attack.

The rope physics are pretty nifty looking as well. I can see the utility in it for future platforming sections. Breaking glass to access different areas or gear is something so simple but welcomed. Not sure why more of these types of games don’t do this.

The horse riding is mediocre especially after playing a lot of RDR2, but it works. Not sure how much I’ll like the large areas after 10-20 hours, unless they can incentivize exploration for more than some extra gear to get to the next area. You can tell it isn’t really Naughty Dog’s forte, but the Jeep from UC4 was fine in small doses. Speaking of, I did find a cool Easter Egg from Uncharted in a safety deposit box, and it could possibly have some hidden meaning later judging by the numbering.

All in all my early impressions are favorable. I’m only playing on Normal difficulty because I’d unlikely have the patience for more of a challenge based on revisiting the original beforehand. The game is well made from a technical perspective, looks exceptional in some areas, and only pacing issues are hampering my enjoyment so far. How the story pans out will ultimately be the deciding factor on how much the ride was worth it. They’ve got their work cut out for them in explaining the various degrees of Abby, let alone justifying having to play as her randomly.
That's kind of what I mean her not being happy with the dude in the morning makes sense.

If the game showed her still bringing it up and still acting bitter towards him a month or more on it could be seen as foreshadowing. But the next morning? I wouldn't expect her to be playing nice with him really lol

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm not familiar with the Japanese obscure stuff but do really enjoy the stories of games like Persona 5, Catherine, Yakuza or the neat little(and often touching) story vignettes in Dragon Quest 11(just to name a few recent titles). During the PS1 days I played almost the entire Squaresoft line-up and loved all of them. So yeah, I guess you have a point. xD
Exactly, you have the right idea. It's tons of stuff like atlus offerings and even bigger things like dragon quest (it's a huge game in japan) still manage to keep their soul intact, mostly because it's been the same guy who has been making dragon quest since 1986 so people actually listen to him way more than they do here.

Try the upcoming 13 sentinels game, that one is shaping up to be amazing, it's also publsihed by atlus but made by the dragon's crown/odin sphere folks.

Reactions: stroopwafel

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Exactly, you have the right idea. It's tons of stuff like atlus offerings and even bigger things like dragon quest (it's a huge game in japan) still manage to keep their soul intact, mostly because it's been the same guy who has been making dragon quest since 1986 so people actually listen to him way more than they do here.

Try the upcoming 13 sentinels game, that one is shaping up to be amazing, it's also publsihed by atlus but made by the dragon's crown/odin sphere folks.
That game indeed sounds very good, definitely will check that one out. Narrative by one person, inspiration from Megazone 23 and story taking place in a creatively envisioned 1980s tick all the right boxes for me.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Looks like the apologists have finally started.

I simply disagree with the notion that killing a character you like is automatically a bad story decision. Sure, sometimes stories can go too far with the idea (the absurd bodycounts in Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc), and yet here I think it absolutely works as a driving force for the story.
And it’s not like Joel isn’t in the game! He’s in it for the first part, and then we constantly get flashback sequences with Joel and Ellie that are some of the best moments of the game so far. So to see Joel killed and to immediately run out and trash the game seems bafflingly short-sighted to me.
Sorry Shinji, seems they think you're just a shortsighted reactionist.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Might not be the case for Shinji, but there sure as hell are a lot of those kinds of people on the internet and that is who they are talking about, as anyone would probably know. No need to try and instigate something between the article and Shinji.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So i have been thinking about the game and how much better it could have been in terms of story. I thought about Abby and her story and what they were trying to get out of here and the more you look at the rest of her story the less and less the revenge motivation makes any sense.

So why couldnt Abby and her journey south been the whole game instead?

Why not play Abby the whole game and have her start as a gun toting WLF member as they battle for Seattle against the religious cult of the Scars? You could have had her still had her encounter with Yara and Lev making the kids shake her loyalty to the WLF. Ultimately her conscience makes her side with the kids and save them from a WLF raid.

She gets outted and has to flee the WLF and ushers the kids with her, (for the same reasons as in the game) and have us follow her through a journey down to California where she hunts for her old faction, battling WLF agents chasing them and cults and infected along the way.

You could play with themes of "my enemy isnt always the evil you think they are" and the degeneration of humanity desperate to just survive.

That way the story could have been a cohesive thematic story rather than this shitty revenge plot that isnt even about revenge like 80% of the fucking time.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Shall we clear him a spot in "the pit" as it seems like he will be joining us here soon

Might not be the case for Shinji, but there sure as hell are a lot of those kinds of people on the internet and that is who they are talking about, as anyone would probably know. No need to try and instigate something between the article and Shinji.
This is the same kind of tactic as when EA claimed all backlash to ME 3 was due to a homophobic hate campaign and tried to pretend people upset about the ending were in reality only upset there was a gay character in it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm not instigating anything, not like I'm saying or showing anything that they aren't actually saying here. My point is to show that Shinji is just as at risk of being painted with a broad brush despite the real problems with the story. And they are not targeting just "stupid people that can't take anything bad happening to them" specifically, they are trying to defend this by saying ALL people with a problem are not worth listening to.

Have you read the comments on the The Last of Us Part 2 reddit, what the people playing the game on Youtube are saying? Doesn't look like arguments that Joel dying was unacceptable, looks like they think the way it was done was trash. I've been putting up with this "They're not REALLY talking about you" argument for 7 years, and I'm sick of other people excusing this bullshit just because they aren't currently in the crossfire.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Shall we clear him a spot in "the pit" as it seems like he will be joining us here soon

This is the same kind of tactic as when EA claimed all backlash to ME 3 was due to a homophobic hate campaign and tried to pretend people upset about the ending were in reality only upset there was a gay character in it.
Still there is some truth as the alt right only want something pandering to their base desires. Patrick O Rourke got ratio because by the usual peanut gallery