Todd Howard, Skyrim Dev, thinks COD is 'hardcore'.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
bleachigo10 said:
...Who the hell is Todd Howard?

OT: I don't know if making classes and choosing perks can be considered rpg elements. I haven't played any of the recent Cod games but I would imagine that creating classes in it is just choosing which guns you want to use, but i'm probably way off. I don't know, maybe he's right.
You really aren;t that far off. You choose guns and a few perks, faster reload, more damage etc. It really is a large stretch to say COD online has "rpg elements"

OT: no I really don't think COD is hardcore, just filled with fratboys who take shit way to seriously.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wow. People in this thread are actually angry about this. I don't even play Call of Duty and...well, I feel nothing about this.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future the Elder Scrolls series becomes mianly action with "RPG elements".

Bethesda games never did have much choice in them anyway since Todd came around, seriously what choice and consequence is there in Oblivion?

You can join every available faction, the main story is linear, you can use every armour with grind, every weapon with grind and become good at any spell school with grind.

Ruiner87

Jul 23, 2008
loltodd. Todd has always been a bit more of a casual guy when it game to video games, at least compared to the guys that led development of earlier TES titles. Just look at the reduction in scale and customization since he took over, starting with Morrowind and then Oblivion.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Wow. People in this thread are actually angry about this. I don't even play Call of Duty and...well, I feel nothing about this.
This just in, Todd Howard, Skyrim Dev, likes green jello, not RED! That bastard!

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
Well the quote doesn't say it's a hardcore RPG. He said it's a hardcore game with RPG elements in multiplayer. He probably just means the game has reached it's pique and that's why it's popular. He may hope that Skyrim will bring Elder Scrolls up to that same level of hype and popularity?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
well, he's right in that respect. You choose perks, attachments, and weapons, and sacrifice others. Problem is, it's poorly balanced.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
EverythingIncredible said:
JNA17 said:
DustyDrB said:
This just in, Todd Howard, Skyrim Dev, likes green jello, not RED! That bastard!
It's not about what he likes or doesn't like.

It's about the fact that, one of the most casual games ever made, he still considers hardcore. What does this mean for Skyrim? I'd wager a bet that it is going to be run into the ground with casualization.
You mean...he has an opinion? An opinion that YOU disagree with? About a completely different game?

Your looking way too much into one statement.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I see no problem with this. For one, Call of Duty is a hardcore game. The people who play it and only it all the time I would call casual gamers, but the game itself is a game aimed squarely at the gaming audience, and is complex, interesting, and well-built enough to stay out of the realm of games like Peggle and Bejeweled.

Secondly, he's not saying, "We want to make Skyrim like a fantasy Call of Duty!" He's saying that the RPG elements in Call of Duty's multiplayer means there is an audience outside of the core gamers for this type of game, and they want to capitalize on that. All it means is that there are people out there who perhaps wouldn't profess to be interested in a gigantic RPG like this one, but might be anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Okay so this is what Todd Howard had to say about COD according to a gamasutra interview [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35678/Interview_Todd_Howard_On_The_Scope_Vision_Of_Skyrim.php]

You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks. I think the audiences are there, and we tend to make our game more for ourselves and other people who play a lot of games.
Now my personal view aside. Is that really a wise thing to say considering the current climate of worries about streamlining and accessibility that is developing around Skyrim. Whether or not COD is what he says it is I think most 'hardcore' RPG fans would take issue with that judging from what I have seen on these, and other forums regarding COD and it's playerbase.

What do you think of this statement? Is it somthing that worries you? Do you agree with him?

Personally I will be buying the game but this made me raise my eyebrows a little.
You really hate both Bethesda and Skyrim dont you?

On Topic:
I guess hardcore by the amount of ravenous fanbois screamin racial slurs and teabagging people...

-shrug- I guess he has a view people cant agree with...

I must admit the amount of lulz and hate in this is...funny

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
Lt. Vinciti said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Okay so this is what Todd Howard had to say about COD according to a gamasutra interview [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35678/Interview_Todd_Howard_On_The_Scope_Vision_Of_Skyrim.php]

You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks. I think the audiences are there, and we tend to make our game more for ourselves and other people who play a lot of games.
Now my personal view aside. Is that really a wise thing to say considering the current climate of worries about streamlining and accessibility that is developing around Skyrim. Whether or not COD is what he says it is I think most 'hardcore' RPG fans would take issue with that judging from what I have seen on these, and other forums regarding COD and it's playerbase.

What do you think of this statement? Is it somthing that worries you? Do you agree with him?

Personally I will be buying the game but this made me raise my eyebrows a little.
You really hate both Bethesda and Skyrim dont you?

On Topic:
I guess hardcore by the amount of ravenous fanbois screamin racial slurs and teabagging people...

-shrug- I guess he has a view people cant agree with...

I must admit the amount of lulz and hate in this is...funny
I almost fell out of my chair laughing just by seeing the thread title cause I knew somebody would go out of there desperately trying to nitpick on one little detail too debunk something completely different.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
TimeLord said:
To be fair, you don't see people's mothers going off to play CoD so it's not really a casual gamer thing.

Oh wait! My mom plays CoD online! (seriously)
Please tell me I proved him wrong!
That merely means your mom is hardcore.... :p

That's sound pretty hot.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
If CoD is hardcore, what the fuck is Counter Strike?
RhombusHatesYou said:
JNA17 said:
DustyDrB said:
Time for a lynching.
I got the rope right here.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Its hardcore, so what? It can turn casual gamers into addicts. I think that's a fair statement and I don't see how that has anything to do with Skyrim's development. I also don't see why I should be concerned in the slightest with this mans opinion.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
ALL THIS FANDUMB MAKES MY HEAD HURT.

Thaius said:
I see no problem with this. For one, Call of Duty is a hardcore game. The people who play it and only it all the time I would call casual gamers, but the game itself is a game aimed squarely at the gaming audience, and is complex, interesting, and well-built enough to stay out of the realm of games like Peggle and Bejeweled.

Secondly, he's not saying, "We want to make Skyrim like a fantasy Call of Duty!" He's saying that the RPG elements in Call of Duty's multiplayer means there is an audience outside of the core gamers for this type of game, and they want to capitalize on that. All it means is that there are people out there who perhaps wouldn't profess to be interested in a gigantic RPG like this one, but might be anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying.
And one voice of reason. Seems this guy is the only one who knows how to read. He understood EXACTLY what was being said, because he -read- it, rather than tried to read -into- it with some weird anti-COD agenda.

No wonder no mainstream media believes gamers when they claim their genre can be artistic and filled with layers of hidden meaning.... gaming discourse has trouble finding the obvious not-so-hidden meaning of a bloody obvious statement.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future the Elder Scrolls series becomes mianly action with "RPG elements".

Bethesda games never did have much choice in them anyway since Todd came around, seriously what choice and consequence is there in Oblivion?

You can join every available faction, the main story is linear, you can use every armour with grind, every weapon with grind and become good at any spell school with grind.
Todd was actually the head guy behind Morrowind, which subverts many of the thgings you just said. I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand.