Tokyo Jungle Review

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wish this would come out on the pc, it looks damn interesting but I have no intention of getting a ps3.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actually seems pretty interesting.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
You didn't say much about Story Mode; so is it basically playing through Survival Mode one animal at a time, and it gives you inter-chapter cutscenes?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Well, this look like it's worth a spin just for the ambition and uniqueness of the setting. I get the impression that the levels take on a roguelike approach, just trying to make it as far as you can with that particular animal with death around every corner. For me personally, that would be a very good thing. I was so caught up with NFL Blitz and Starhawk being PS+ free that I hadn't noticed this. Great review Susan, and thanks for making me aware of it.

EDIT: It's only 11.99 if you have plus, so that was nice to find out.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
DustlessDragoon said:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.
Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)

My excuse is simply that I don't yet own a PS3.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
This one's right up me alley. There's no Platypus, which is a shame. Otherwise you owe yourself this one. Kicking croc ass with a goddamn band of chicks. etc.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
UNHchabo said:
You didn't say much about Story Mode; so is it basically playing through Survival Mode one animal at a time, and it gives you inter-chapter cutscenes?
The gameplay of the first several chapters actually is kind of...well, you have to go through so much Survival Mode to unlock the chapters, that then being told "this is how you hunt" in Chapter 1 seems very odd, indeed. The Story isn't all that satisfying, really, at least not in my experience. You play different animals in different chapters - what you really want are the Archives, which you find as you play through Survival Mode. That's what lets you know what happened to humanity.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So if i was to compare it to FTL: Faster Than Light for the game requiring the player to play to unlock the full extent of its replayability, how far off would i be?

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Worgen said:
I wish this would come out on the pc, it looks damn interesting but I have no intention of getting a ps3.
Pretty much this. Which is a damn shame actually, because I'm a sucker for ridiculous game ideas.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rhizhim said:
so its a mix of gta, i am alive and assassins creed?

and how did you get socks for your pig?
Please. My piggie wouldn't wear socks. Those are kitty paws. *sniff*

You find items as you play - stuff like raincoats, headphones, wool beanies, scarves...you equip them to buff your stats. The kitty paws, for example, give you something like +20 to attack; the downside is that they wear out eventually. So long as you've unlocked the item, though, you can buy a new one by spending Survival Points.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
I want to see this as one sprawling multiplayer city server in which you pick an animal and randomly spawn somewhere, and have to survive for as long as possible with leaderboards for each type of animal. For some reason that sounds like the kind of game I would lose countless hours on, even without the multiplayer idea.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
UNHchabo said:
DustlessDragoon said:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.
Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)
I would also advise putting some money aside for when Okami HD is released late this month. Unless you fancy coming down with a sudden case of Daystar-related death.

On topic now, this does look like a nice change of pace. I've also been looking for something to tide me over until the few big titles that interest me get their release over the next year.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Justank said:
I want to see this as one sprawling multiplayer city server in which you pick an animal and randomly spawn somewhere, and have to survive for as long as possible with leaderboards for each type of animal. For some reason that sounds like the kind of game I would lose countless hours on, even without the multiplayer idea.
Sounds like you basically want a hybrid of Tokyo Jungle and DayZ. If that's what you're talking about, it sounds awesome. :)

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
No pomeranian in the video review at all?!

Fo shame!

Too bad I don't have a PS3 as this is crazy enough (and solid enough) to look very appealing as stealth is always fun.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
gigastar said:
So if i was to compare it to FTL: Faster Than Light for the game requiring the player to play to unlock the full extent of its replayability, how far off would i be?
It's more grind and less random than FTL (this is true of more than just the unlocks). You have almost no control over ships in FTL, either you'll get the appropriate sector and events or you won't. In Tokyo Jungle, if you want to be a hippo, start working your way up the herbivore line. You'll know exactly what you need to do. You could probably get there pretty quick if you completed only the unlock challenges and killed yourself once you'd accomplished it.

On the flip side of that, there are very few Tokyo Jungle games where you accomplish absolutely nothing. Even if you don't get a new species, piece of clothing or story chapter, you'll almost always get some permanent stat upgrades for the species you're playing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta say that this game, more than any other game, really made me wish I had a PS3. A friend was describing it to me and it sounded really fun...especially a part where said friend was playing as a terrier that got killed by a giant baby chick wearing what appeared to be a saddle.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Tokyo Jungle Review

Ridiculous and mighty.

Read Full Article
I recall earlier this year you were quite excited for this game, did you have to fight off anyone to review it? Oh, and did it meet your expectations or surpass them?