Top 5 Friday: Top 5 First Person Shooters

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Carnagath said:
Valagetti said:
how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)?
Every time someone religiously tries to memefy some of Yahtzee's worst and most pointless attempts at humor, which probably took him about 5 seconds to come up with while he was taking a shit, I feel like stabbing a puppy. Granted, you may be 9 years old (at least I hope you are), but it still makes me mad. Stop this right now, and save a puppy.
Do I hear a spunkgargleweewee fan?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'll just leave this sentence here- which I'll come back later when I'm not so tired to give Goldeneye the defense it deserves.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, good list. Personally I'd replace Quake with UT 2004 and CS with Ravenshield.
I'm also one of those people who was not amazed by Golden Eye. it was fun but nothing special to me.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nothing personal but I'm going to have to parrot most of the people here...this isn't very good :(

The Negative:
A top five feature needs one of two things:

1. A Someone. Someone I know he knows what he's talking about. Someone I know I can respect their opinion. Maybe I should know who this "Sohinki" guy is but I have absolutely no reason to respect this opinion over the millions of other generic top five best things ever lists out there. What makes you worth listening to over xxGAYLO6969xx on the forums?

2. An interesting list. This is why Lisa worked so well...she wasn't a "somebody" but her lists were interesting. Some of the lists fell flat on their face but I didn't stop watching the video half-way through. The "Top five FPS" games is about as generic as you could get...

The Positive:
The guy had a good speaking voice! So...there's that.

This is a thing that could have a lot of potential. Jim Sterling's videos were absolutely BLASTED the first few times but he took the criticism and turned his show into something that many now call their favorite feature here. This show doesn't seem like it will go anywhere unless you make some drastic changes but it's not impossible.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
"This week, Matt discusses the five first person shooters that define the genre."

No.

Not even close.
(Well, maybe a little, I can except Half-Life and/or Counter Strike, I've never played the latter, but even I know the impact it had.)

This is a top 5 list of Matt's favorite FPS games, not a list of a man who sat down, did some research and then created a plausible list of actual influential FPS titles that defined a genre.

I don't have a problem with this video or this Matt person, I do however have a problem with how SmoshGames advertised this episode.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Me? I actually played and loved;

5 Halo
4 Witchaven
3 Doom 2
2 Duke Nukem 3D
1 Castle Wolfenstein 3D

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Scorpid said:
By your standard I could put Daikatana or SIN on this because they were games that me and my dad played together and those were times I enjoyed more then alot of games that should come before those two. Were they at all influential to the direction of FPS's no but they were times I enjoyed, see the problem?
Daikatana falls into the same basic category as Plan 9 From Outer Space and The Room. It's not good per se, but it's definitely fun, just not in the way the authors intended.

EDIT: Also, Daikatana was pretty influential in that it put Looking Glass out of business and ruined John Romero's reputation.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
If I have learned something of this, it is that people miss "Top 5 with Lisa Foiles". Because she was, you know, funny.

Mar 30, 2010
Conner42 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Yeah, like every 'top five' list everywhere this show is entire subjective and heavily based on personal taste. Little point and no value in these kind of things. Unimpressed by both this and the last episode, so count me out as far as this new 'contribution' is concerned.
When talking about how good a game is, of course it's going to be subjective. I might have had a sort of blood burst when he mentioned Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3, but it wasn't because I thought he was wrong, I just disagree really strongly about how good those games are.

Also, you can still learn from other people's subjective thoughts, they can bring up good points and give you a new look on things.
True, but these kinds of lists pop up in the gaming discussion forums all the time. I just think it's a little bit pointless to post up a vid announcing for example the 'top 5 RPGs' when a casual look at the first couple of pages in the GD forums will throw up multiple threads on exactly the same subject.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
Whilst I think this weeks Top 5 was much better than last time I kind of agree with these guys:

Kurt Cristal said:
Meh, if you're going to do a Top 5, it needs to be a zany top 5, Lisa Foiles style. This is just boring an uninspired.
Valagetti said:
Welp, glad to see Lisa Foiles has made a comeback as three geeky guys. And really sick of these lists appearing everywhere. I mean top 5 FPS's how vague can you get, its a hole entire genre, how about top 5 military FPS's (spunk-gargle-wee-wee)? I dunno I just prefer something more insightful, than just someones opinion and why it is their opinion, based on their own aquired tastes. Jesus Christ that doesn't make any sense!
I sort of feel like the show needs to decide between whether it wants to be zany or in-depth. So far I don't think this video series is for me but it can't hurt the Escapist to have variety to appeal to more people so lets be nice. Sometimes we do take our games too seriously.

Also:
PunkRex said:
No Timesplitters or Bioshock... *lights torch* HERESY, SNUFF IT OUT!!!
I wholeheartedly agree.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
ShirowShirow said:
Mmm. Mostly modern military stuff.
Did you and I just watch the same video? The one I just watched only had two military shooters and one of those was not "modern".

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
My personal 5 FPS of all times just has to include the following:

- Half Life 1: most people tend to forget just how revolutionary that game was.

- Stalker: immersive gameplay at its best

- Star Wars Jedi Knight 1: although a bit unfair since it also has RPG elements, had some of the best level design I've ever seen and some of the most furious firefights.

- Call of Duty 1: Stalingrad forever... Russian Campaign, Pavlov building. Also the Kar98... Nuf' said.

Top spot - No One Lives Forever 2: also probably the best game ever made.

The only problem with nostalgic titles such as these is that anyone who NOW plays them for the first time will think "wtf?!". Poor sods...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Honestly I didn't mind this top 5 at all and you know why?.

Because it was subjective and I'm fine with him having his say unlike the rest of you on here who spout the same games and the same crap over and over and even then if he isn't calling your favourite game then it somehow amounts to heresy and loses all credibility which I think is just plain disgusting and utterly childish.

Seriously give the guy a fucking chance and stop whining and bitching over it and just grow up for once and let the man have his say without kicking him off the site.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Valagetti said:
Carnagath said:
Valagetti said:
Every time someone religiously tries to memefy some of Yahtzee's worst and most pointless attempts at humor, which probably took him about 5 seconds to come up with while he was taking a shit, I feel like stabbing a puppy. Granted, you may be 9 years old (at least I hope you are), but it still makes me mad. Stop this right now, and save a puppy.
Really dude? You are calling me the child here and here you fuck'n are criticising me on a joke someone else did? No just fuck'n no, you cannot get away with this shit, going to a thread and calling people out on their minor bullshit? Yes that was a lame joke I did, because it was supposed to be lame and yes I understand I ripped off a lame joke and that in itself makes it even more lame. And just wow out of all of the things I said, you choose that specific thing as your focus of criticising? What about the shit thats vaguely coherent at the end, please I beg you to judge that, instead me ripping off a lame joke? And you know whats even more sad, ME for enabling you, so instead I suggest you and your fuck'n criticising pants go off somewhere else because this is a place of intellectual discussion... +1 lame ripped off joke.
To be fair you didn't really need to say that lame joke just like how many of you say this top 5 guy doesn't deserve to be on the Escapist.

Most of the time intellectual discussion does on here is about how crap something is and how it can be improved through personal opinion and subjective views rather than accepting something and maybe then giving an unbiased way to improve something.

That and this forum tosses around enough insults to fuel a world war let alone lacking proper intellectual discussion because most that goes on here is always "PC is superior!, consoles are crap and for casual plebs!".

Just for once be the better man and brush it off and walk on or at the very least engage in intellectual talk.

samus17

Jun 5, 2010
What did he mean by "hoping there's a CS2"? Counter-strike GO is the third installment of the series...
Surely he didn't mean that he thought CS:GO was the first counter strike game...right?

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Valagetti said:
Carnagath said:
Valagetti said:
Really dude? You are calling me the child here and here you fuck'n are criticising me on a joke someone else did? No just fuck'n no, you cannot get away with this shit, going to a thread and calling people out on their minor bullshit? Yes that was a lame joke I did, because it was supposed to be lame and yes I understand I ripped off a lame joke and that in itself makes it even more lame. And just wow out of all of the things I said, you choose that specific thing as your focus of criticising? What about the shit thats vaguely coherent at the end, please I beg you to judge that, instead me ripping off a lame joke? And you know whats even more sad, ME for enabling you, so instead I suggest you and your fuck'n criticising pants go off somewhere else because this is a place of intellectual discussion... +1 lame ripped off joke.
To be fair you didn't really need to say that lame joke just like how many of you say this top 5 guy doesn't deserve to be on the Escapist.

Most of the time intellectual discussion does on here is about how crap something is and how it can be improved through personal opinion and subjective views rather than accepting something and maybe then giving an unbiased way to improve something.

That and this forum tosses around enough insults to fuel a world war let alone lacking proper intellectual discussion because most that goes on here is always "PC is superior!, consoles are crap and for casual plebs!".

Just for once be the better man and brush it off and walk on or at the very least engage in intellectual talk.
The whole idea of my rage enfueled bender was to keep the thread ON TOPIC, its enough of Youtube comments being off topic.