Top most hated/liked Cliche's

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
like:
power armor.
magic.
heroic sacrifice.
antiheroes
reluctant heroes (so long as the reluctant hero stops whining and mans up at some point)
giant robots [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBW4SWWdFs]
the 'magnificent bastard' villains

dislike:
zombies.
shoe-horned in romances
heroic sacrifice. (when its easily avoidable)
human/elf/dwarf anything (in particular, when they're the ONLY races that are 'good')
reluctant heroes (the ones that never stop whining, ever.)
stupid villains
stupid heroes
'the destined hero'

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
Villains with an honor code and sense of morals
Completely insane villains
Capes

Hates:
Emo characters that are always popular
Female characters who are complete bitches
The whiny, annoying, pretentious heroes (Tidus, for example)

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Racecarlock said:
- "This game has angst and symbolism and grittyness, therefore it is good." Look at every day the same dream for example. It's one of the laziest art games ever made. It basically takes a basic office drone plot line, throws in some symbolism, tells people that that symbolism is also "Mixing up the day", then asks you to interpret everything yourself because it couldn't actually come up with a message.
Do you think that there is an "unwritten rule" that doesnt allow artists to spell out what was the meaning behind their work? because if they do, the work looses its status as art?

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
DementedSheep said:
-Guys are strong/ skilled fighters/smart and were suppose to respect hem based on shit they actually do. Girls are the moral centre of the group, inspire the others and we are suppose to respect them because of the shit they endure.
I dont understand. You mean like, girls that do nothing BUT being cheerleaders for others while being ABSOLUTELY useless in everything else because otherwise the hero may become overshadowed? (and we cant have that)

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
DioWallachia said:
Racecarlock said:
- "This game has angst and symbolism and grittyness, therefore it is good." Look at every day the same dream for example. It's one of the laziest art games ever made. It basically takes a basic office drone plot line, throws in some symbolism, tells people that that symbolism is also "Mixing up the day", then asks you to interpret everything yourself because it couldn't actually come up with a message.
Do you think that there is an "unwritten rule" that doesnt allow artists to spell out what was the meaning behind their work? because if they do, the work looses its status as art?
I think it's far more likely that they do this so people will write essay style reviews on the various meanings of the game, making it seem like a deep, life changing masterpiece, when what it really is is a confusing and boring mess.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Racecarlock said:
DioWallachia said:
Racecarlock said:
I think it's far more likely that they do this so people will write essay style reviews on the various meanings of the game, making it seem like a deep, life changing masterpiece, when what it really is is a confusing and boring mess.
There is one episode on the Anime "Get Backers" where one antagonist wanted to reunite the arms of the well know piece of art know as "Venus De Milo". The logic behind is that by returning the arms to it, the beauty behind this work of art, the mistery of "what could possibly be the gesture or pose the arms would have?", will dissapear as soon we knew the answer.

And for that i wanna know, what kind of mysteries are better left unresolved? (assuming an optimistic world view, rather than the cynical answer of "the author felt lazy and wants us to work for a meaning")

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Dislike

-How the military is used in pretty much everything. If they're the villain or even neutral, they're all gun-wielding psychopaths who love being in war. Instead of, you know, actually having some fear and reprehension about what they're doing like normal soldiers.

If they're on the good guy's side, they're always amoral as fuck and cause half the problems by themselves. That and their men are always killed off with barely a fight. In the end, the one or two main characters are always more useful than that entire organization.
I almost forgot..I would love to be able to read one comicbook where the militairy/government ARENT total amoral idiots...

actually now that I think about it "the boys" doesn't do that....I wonder why its my favorite comic

Valis7

Oct 17, 2012
*Heroic sacrifice
*Brooding mysterious masterminds
*1-on-1 duels
*Apocalyptic kill 'em all endings

dislike
*Mary-Sue & Marty-Stu. Perfect characters that all the other characters worship.
*The "Chosen one" main characters that have everything handed to them.
*Female leads getting raped for "character development"
*Rude, arrogant geniuses
*Main characters that never get hit in gunfights
*Harems with nerdy main characters

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
DioWallachia said:
Racecarlock said:
DioWallachia said:
Racecarlock said:
There is one episode on the Anime "Get Backers" where one antagonist wanted to reunite the arms of the well know piece of art know as "Venus De Milo". The logic behind is that by returning the arms to it, the beauty behind this work of art, the mistery of "what could possibly be the gesture or pose the arms would have?", will dissapear as soon we knew the answer.

And for that i wanna know, what kind of mysteries are better left unresolved? (assuming an optimistic world view, rather than the cynical answer of "the author felt lazy and wants us to work for a meaning")
Well, no mysteries really. If there is a giant monster at the bottom of a scottish lake, we need to get the people out of there immediately. If there is a giant cabal of evil world controlling people, then we can't stop them.

Maybe aliens should remain unresolved until we clear up racism and sexism on our own planet, but after that I really do think we should know if E.T is flitting about our airspace.

The only thing I got out of every day the same dream was "Work sucks and games about work suck more". From what I hear, the meaning is open to interpretation anyways. It's not like a game like this can't work. I played one chance once, and it felt like those choices actually had weight. Not just because they actually felt like choices, but also because it felt like your choices had an effect.

In every day the same dream, the choices are just kind of there, packed with symbolism and shit but not really having an effect on anything. There is one ending, and only one ending, and that ending is supposed to be a mindfuck apparently, but since every office worker in the world looked the same, I just assumed it was another guy and my guy was just standing in line to jump next.

Gritty and dark stuff can be done well, one chance and the Dark Knight proved that, but it can also be done very poorly, as I've seen with mafia II and every day the same dream. Mafia II punishes you for your "Choices", but they're not even choices, they're just story missions and linear pathways, so it's like a drill sergeant ordering you to drop and give him twenty, then slapping you in the face and saying "WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT TWENTY SOLDIER?!".

Darkness and drama only work well when there's a reason for both of them, otherwise it just comes off like an all my circuits episode. "Your entire family died when a plane, piloted by your fiance, crashed into your uninsured home. And you have terminal cancer."

To compound all of this, you ever sat down with a really depressed person and have them try to tell you that happiness is cancer? If so, did you enjoy their company? If not, then what makes that person in game form any more appealing?

Captcha: Gothic Church

How appropriate.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Racecarlock said:
To compound all of this, you ever sat down with a really depressed person and have them try to tell you that happiness is cancer? If so, did you enjoy their company? If not, then what makes that person in game form any more appealing?
the way I see it....I think if something is gritty and dark it makes the light shine all that brighter, like the end of The Dark Knight

that said if you keep piling dark upon dark then its just...unenjoyable

of coarse not everything needs to be "dark" for you to be able to take it seriously...depending on how you define "dark"

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I hate the chess cliche. You know, where they show two people playing a game of chess while also summing up the conflict in the show/movie/book/game/whatever. It's ridiculously overdone.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Vault101 said:
Racecarlock said:
the way I see it....I think if something is gritty and dark it makes the light shine all that brighter, like the end of The Dark Knight

that said if you keep piling dark upon dark then its just...unenjoyable

of coarse not everything needs to be "dark" for you to be able to take it seriously...depending on how you define "dark"
Well, the problem with every day the same dream is that it has no bright points. One chance has plenty of endings where you at least spend the last days with your family, but maybe you should play it for yourself to find them all.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Valis7 said:
*Female leads getting raped for "character development"
You mean like getting raped to get her "fixed" and keep her of doing anything dangerous again so the heroes can do it instead? or you mean that as soon she gets raped, she becomes another person? sort like how a, lets say, a frigid man-hating woman gets "fixed" and sees the errors of her way?

or how about the worst one yet, where she is a normal person and gets "fixed" into a badass supreme that could kick the ass of Chuck Norris, Optimus Prime and Segata Sanshiro? this one interest me the most because i expect to see a story where the villain who raped her actually points out that she is a much better person thanks to his "fixing", and thefore, for the greater good, she HAD to be "fixed" so the world can be a better place (sort of in a very sick mix of "Well Intentioned Extremist" and "Strawman Has a Point")

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
DioWallachia said:
DementedSheep said:
-Guys are strong/ skilled fighters/smart and were suppose to respect hem based on shit they actually do. Girls are the moral centre of the group, inspire the others and we are suppose to respect them because of the shit they endure.
I dont understand. You mean like, girls that do nothing BUT being cheerleaders for others while being ABSOLUTELY useless in everything else because otherwise the hero may become overshadowed? (and we can?t have that)
Well, sort of. In a lot of books and movies it seems that the guys have clear roles and help the group in tangible ways while the girls do almost nothing useful and are treated more like some motivational figure, especially if it?s a story involving multiple guys and one girl.
The guys will go on about how they are inspired to continue or they are fighting because of her. Often a guy will become obsessed with revenge, a little too ruthless or not want to help someone and the girl will cry or something to remind them that that would be wrong.
The female characters strength comes from being captured, having horrible things done to her or just putting up with another characters shit without completely breaking down rather than actively doing something (this can be done well but most of the time isn?t and seems to be almost an exclusively female or child role) and her suffering is once again used to motivate the men because they want to protect her.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
DementedSheep said:
DioWallachia said:
DementedSheep said:
I dont understand. You mean like, girls that do nothing BUT being cheerleaders for others while being ABSOLUTELY useless in everything else because otherwise the hero may become overshadowed? (and we can?t have that)
Well, sort of. In a lot of books and movies it seems that the guys have clear roles and help the group in tangible ways while the girls do almost nothing useful and are treated more like some motivational figure, especially if it?s a story involving multiple guys and one girl.
The guys will go on about how they are inspired to continue or they are fighting because of her. Often a guy will become obsessed with revenge, a little too ruthless or not want to help someone and the girl will cry or something to remind them that that would be wrong.
The female characters strength comes from being captured, having horrible things done to her or just putting up with another characters shit without completely breaking down rather than actively doing something (this can be done well but most of the time isn?t and seems to be almost an exclusively female or child role) and her suffering is once again used to motivate the men because they want to protect her.
What if the girl manages to convince the guy of not going to the dark side with ANY other trope that doesnt involve crying a fucking river or cutting herself with a knife with the music of "CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLING IIIIIIIIIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" in the background, so the guy feels regret/pity and the status quo?