Topical Tuesday: Be a Composer!

Nov 25, 2010
I would change the music on the racing game PGR4 to the prodigy voodo people pendulem or i would change the forza 3 menu music to match Grid

Avarith

The Shaman
Jun 16, 2008
I think music is what makes most games memorable, I have hated alot of games that I only played because of the soundtrack. If I replaced and sound, in shooters to make things feel right in a war situation I think a more classical tone should take place. Unless you are being a hear then it should be a higher paced sound.

Most RPG's have the right kind of sound track so nothing I could say would change that in my opinion.

Racing just need back ground music that just changes and never loops in my opinion.

And fighting games.... I have no Clue I think the music should always be something that goes with the feel of the fight. Naruto ninja storm 2 I think it was, did this right at a few points playing sad music for a fight that just had that kind of emotion.

All in all music should fit in were the player is supposed to feel an emotion to flesh out a scene, it should not over power the moment just fix quietly in the back ground.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
The old love songs in new vegas should all just be wiped, replace them with the happy vegas songs that in it. I get it that they are trying to get the texas country thing or whatever but it just doesn't fit like the music did in fallout 3. The music made new vegas annoying and unlike in fallout 3, my radio was turned off.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I would add THIS song to every game that needs to be more epic.
Like TimeSplitters 2...

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
I think E.S. Posthumus could just about encapsulate any action game with their music...

But for the sake of being specific, I think C&C could have had 'Unstoppable' by the aforementioned group. It sounds combat-ish and intense. Good for any boss fight or intense chase really.

SakimotoFanboy

Jan 2, 2011
I think I would simply orchestrate the entirety of Zelda: Twilight Princess' OST. Seriously, if something was wrong with that game, it was the MIDI music that clashed horribly with the beautiful graphics.

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Let me see what all needs to be done with video game music.

1) I am so tired of music repeating itself over and over in games. The reason why we all remember the mario brothers theme is not because it is a great theme but because it played it self in a loop for ever and ever. If i sat anybody down with the Rite of Spring and put it on a loop for 30 hours you would remember all of that song too.

2) do not be afraid to use a less is more mentality. Imagine in a movie if we had music going constantly rather than tastefully injected into it.

3) Original compositions are always good. I know sometimes they cant work (like in GTA, or brutal legend) games like fallout 3 should of had an extensive background score.

4) lastly IT TAKES MORE THEN A THEME TO MAKE GOOD MUSIC.

that is all

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Fortuan said:
I would change some music of military shooters to classical music when doing awesome replays i.e. battlefield or COD
I assume you've seen one of the trailers for Killzone 2 way back when?
if not, here it is.
definitely one to watch in HD.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
This comes from something I did with my best friend last year. We were playing Left 4 Dead 2 I believe, and we were doing the survival mode wherein thousands of zombies attack your building. We set out plenty of flammable substances, gathered our weapons, and prepared for the onslaught. In the background, however, the music wasn't the traditional fare. We had put on some Gaelic lullabies or ballads or something soft and mournful, and the mood was absolutely insane. We felt like something amazing was happening; the entire game seemed to move in slow motion. When the horde was closing in, we were yelling and screaming at the zombies, shouting orders to each other, and fighting for our lives. The music wasn't traditional and doesn't seem like it would be any good for the scenario, but it was an amazing experience. I'm just not sure why.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
I honestly can't think of any games where the soundtrack was bad enough for me to warrant changing it, as usually the in-game music will be the stuff that fits the feel of the game the best.

Novs said:
Also me thinks fantasy games lack acoustic folk music, perhaps played on an acoustic guitar.
Also, go check out the Wild Arms series, Wild West setting with a soundtrack to boot. Here's [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKyb6lTMrM] a really good example of it.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
In my favourite game, Vikings: Battle of Asgard I'd change the lack of music and when there is uninspiring music and put in every song from ManOwaR, Amon Amarth and Ensiferum.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
I'd change every videogame's music to something from 009 sound system, just to piss people off.

No, but seriously, my first choice would be to take the original yoshi's island music and put it in yoshi's island 2, and to put assassin's creed brotherhood's music in assassin's creed 2.

UpiterInc

Jan 31, 2011
Just moments ago I was playing Borderlands. A great game with not a neccesarily bad soundtrack, but a certain lack of one (Excluding of course the opening and ending). As I was roaming the Arid Badlands in search of more bad-ass loot I started to experiment with some music on my Hard Drive. The one that really hit me was the Twin Peaks soundtrack, more specifically Freshly Squeezed and The Pink Room. Thusly I believe that Borderlands deserves a Angelo Badalamenti/David lynch, Jazz soundtrack. The somewhat mellow, relaxed feeling of the exploration fits very well with many of the slower tracks. While some of the faster tracks accentuate the combat shockingly well. Even the orange, cel-shaded esque enviroments fit the horns and piano extremely well. I know the mix sounds strange but give it a shot.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Every game in the world needs a soundtrack by Anamanaguchi. Ok maybe not every one but at least the retro ones. Also Rock Band 3 needed more metal, preferably Dream Theater.