Torchlight 2 Devs Have "No Plans" For Console Release

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
I didn't feel compelled to play the first Torchlight more than once. Is Torchlight II any different?
I'm currently on New Game + on my first character and whilst the story is still the same the levels change with each play through. So you aren't just playing through the same area over and over, which is nice. And the highest tier of loot is seriously rare so you'll need multiple runs through the game to get them (or mods). Speaking of mods. There are mods. So you can play it again but with mods active and it feels a bit different.

Personally I think it is worth playing through more than once, but I can see that some people might not really care for it after completing it the first time.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
I'm currently on New Game + on my first character and whilst the story is still the same the levels change with each play through. So you aren't just playing through the same area over and over, which is nice. And the highest tier of loot is seriously rare so you'll need multiple runs through the game to get them (or mods). Speaking of mods. There are mods. So you can play it again but with mods active and it feels a bit different.

Personally I think it is worth playing through more than once, but I can see that some people might not really care for it after completing it the first time.
The multiplayer option was tempting, but hearing it's worth playing more than once is all I needed. Thanks!

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:
Finally, a company willing to refrain from dumbing down their game for the console market.
Why.... why why why this fucktard on my friday afternoon

people actually made great comments so far and I enjoyed the reading but then this little fucker had to spoil it
Just peacefully ignore it, and it will go away. Shall we talk about muffins? I like muffins. Blueberry ones are my favourite! What's yours?
Sorry, buddy, but truth wont go away. You can let your fandome dictate your tastes all you want, but simple truths remain just that.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:
Finally, a company willing to refrain from dumbing down their game for the console market.

people actually made great comments so far and I enjoyed the reading but then this little fucker had to spoil it
Just peacefully ignore it, and it will go away. Shall we talk about muffins? I like muffins. Blueberry ones are my favourite! What's yours?
Sorry, buddy, but truth wont go away. You can let your fandome dictate your tastes all you want, but simple truths remain just that.
>.> Tourchlight 2 isn't that 'complex' a game. donno what your on about with this 'dumbing down' none sense.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...There was a 360 release of Torchlight 1? Huh. How did they make the inventory system work? Seems like sorting loot would take forever with a controller...

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Elate said:
piinyouri said:
Elate said:
piinyouri said:
Awww durn. Would have been fun on a controller. : (

I could live without mods. This isn't a Bethesda game where the vanilla game is almost broken without them.
Might be possible with Xpadder if it doesn't already have controller support (I haven't checked). What you'd need is some way to lock the mouse to the character though so you don't require mouse aim, but with the ample modding support I can see it being doable.
A few folks on the Runic site had Xpadder and a few other mapping program profiles uploaded to the site, and while the one I used was fairly decent, it just didn't have the ease of movement a properly mapped joystick would allow unfortunately.
Actually I just found a pretty good one, made by a member of the community, XInputMapper. While it is still a little clunky, once you get used to it, it's pretty perfect, and better yet fully configurable. Obviously nothing is ever going to be as smooth as something fully integrated, but it allows for joystick control, mapped action keys, and cursor control with the other joystick (which was surprisingly easy.) so.. Yeah it has been done already, and worked.
Is that a recently made one?
Back when the game was released I tried pretty much ever configuration any forum member there released.
Can you link the thread where you found it? : ]

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Kheapathic said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

The only truth around here is it doesn't matter what the conversation is about, there's always "THAT GUY" who will show up and piss all over it in the name of glorious PC gaming. You let your fandom dictate your attitude in the name of superiority. I guess the truth is you're a mental deficiet, because highlighting enemies and clicking them to death isn't exactly what I'd call hard.
Well, Mr. high-on-the-horse, lets look at the facts then. First, baseless assumptions are done by two kinds of people: those who see too little and those who see what's not there. I suppose we know where you fall, judging by the fact that you think my comment is about the glory of PC gaming. Secondly, I dont possess fandom to any gaming platform. Each have their merits. I see you are doing well on assumptions. Third, if you thought my statement was wrong, why didnt you address it? Because you know that I'm right. For a game like Torchlight 2 to be adapted for a console, many things would have to change and most of them in a bad direction. From lack of modding support to lack of buttons on a controller, Not to mention the superiority of keyboard + mouse controls. The game would be dumbed down to fit inside the boundaries of a console. Ironic you accuse me of fandom when you cant see these simplest things.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

>.> Tourchlight 2 isn't that 'complex' a game. donno what your on about with this 'dumbing down' none sense.
Then just try squeezing keyboard + mouse controls into a controller. Even if you manage, keyboard + mouse will beat it any day of the week. Then go for the UI and replace the comfort of a mouse driven UI into arrow driven UI. The skills and combat and the convenience of hotkeys. And the list is long. Much would have to be changed and most of it in a bad way.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
piinyouri said:
Is that a recently made one?
Back when the game was released I tried pretty much ever configuration any forum member there released.
Can you link the thread where you found it? : ]
Not entirely sure if it is new or not, but you can find it just by googling XInputMapper, it's the runicgamesfansite link.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

Then just try squeezing keyboard + mouse controls into a controller. Even if you manage, keyboard + mouse will beat it any day of the week. Then go for the UI and replace the comfort of a mouse driven UI into arrow driven UI. The skills and combat and the convenience of hotkeys. And the list is long. Much would have to be changed and most of it in a bad way.
:3

your funny

the 'convenience' (snickers) of hot keys is the easiest if you actually knew anything about the button layout on a the modern controller.

using a 360 pad as an example.

shoulder/triggers = 1-4
d-pad = 5-8
YXBA = mouse slots and 9-0
thumb sticks = L for movement R for aiming and those skills that require you to place them to work
thumb stick buttons = mana/HP pots
start/back = the menus on the left an right of the screen.

The UI being altered would be the 'hardest part' but at the end of the day I'm very certain they could come up with something just as good for a console release, assuming they had any intent to.

The only REAL detriment to a console release of TL2 over its PC counter part is the loss of mods. But since this IS TL2 and not a TES game (a series which really NEEDS its mods to be even passable) the vanilla TL2 is a great game on its own and doesn't really need the mods.

Took me 5 minutes, tops, think that up. Not that you'll listen. In fact I fully expect you to blow it off and the continue to rant against the 'dumbing down' of games like that's what porting a PC game to a console is, or continue console bashing, or both.

Guess what? you get to be wrong, so very, very wrong. Altering a control scheme to work on another platform is not dumbing the game down. The dumbing down of games is all the hand holding in the modern FPS, or the across the board drop in difficulty of the average game (like how DMC:Devil May Cry is considerably easier then DMC 4) that is what dumbing a game down is.

Reply or don't, I couldn't care less, since I pretty much know what your gonna say anyway.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

your funny

the 'convenience' (snickers) of hot keys is the easiest if you actually knew anything about the button layout on a the modern controller.

shoulder/triggers = 1-4
d-pad = 5-8
thumb sticks = L for movement R for aiming and those skills that require you to place them to work

The UI being altered would be the 'hardest part' but at the end of the day I'm very certain they could come up with something just as good for a console release, assuming they had any intent to.

The only REAL detriment to a console release of TL2 over its PC counter part is the loss of mods. But since this IS TL2 and not a TES game (a series which really NEEDS its mods to be even passable) the vanilla TL2 is a great game on its own and doesn't really need the mods.

Took me 5 minutes, tops, think that up. Not that you'll listen. In fact I fully expect you to blow it off and the continue to rant against the 'dumbing down' of games like that's what porting a PC game to a console is, or continue console bashing, or both.

Guess what? you get to be wrong, so very, very wrong. Altering a control scheme to work on another platform is not dumbing the game down. The dumbing down of games is all the hand holding in the modern FPS, or the across the board drop in difficulty of the average game (like how DMC:Devil May Cry is considerably easier then DMC 4) that is what dumbing a game down is.

Reply or don't, I couldn't care less, since I pretty much know what your gonna say anyway.
So you see nothing wrong with your reply? Like the fact that what you described is emulating the controls, not adapting them. Congratulations, half of your buttons will be assigned for skill hotkeys. How is that exactly on par with a keyboard? And where are you gonna put the rest of commands? Sprint, pick up loot, highlight loot, open minimap, open inventory, for crying out loud. Oh, right, you will have to use directional UI like Skyrim had. Boy, that one was convenient, wasnt it. besides, its not a question if they can make it, it's a question of which one is better. And you really want to tell me that directional UI is better than mouse driven UI? Or controller is better than keyboard and mouse? There are games and genres where controller is superior, no doubt about that. But please, do me a favor and stop imagining that console version of Torchlight 2 would be on par with PC version.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Kheapathic said:
AJey said:
Kheapathic said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

The only truth around here is it doesn't matter what the conversation is about, there's always "THAT GUY" who will show up and piss all over it in the name of glorious PC gaming. You let your fandom dictate your attitude in the name of superiority. I guess the truth is you're a mental deficiet, because highlighting enemies and clicking them to death isn't exactly what I'd call hard.
Well, Mr. high-on-the-horse, lets look at the facts then. First, baseless assumptions are done by two kinds of people: those who see too little and those who see what's not there. I suppose we know where you fall, judging by the fact that you think my comment is about the glory of PC gaming. Secondly, I dont possess fandom to any gaming platform. Each have their merits. I see you are doing well on assumptions. Third, if you thought my statement was wrong, why didnt you address it? Because you know that I'm right. For a game like Torchlight 2 to be adapted for a console, many things would have to change and most of them in a bad direction. From lack of modding support to lack of buttons on a controller, Not to mention the superiority of keyboard + mouse controls. The game would be dumbed down to fit inside the boundaries of a console. Ironic you accuse me of fandom when you cant see these simplest things.
Baseless assumptions on both sides, so don't act like you're no guilty of this as well. You claim to not possess fandom, but without coaxing you post about dumbing things down for consoles. You bring up how I didn't address what's wrong with your statement, because I understand PC's are generally more powerful than consoles and have more options with a keyboard and mouse; mods are a preference for each user, so no need to address that. You acknowledge how I didn't press that issue, because I don't see it as wrong. What I do see is the standard "PC are better" coming in and pissing on everything, like you have to keep the console players away from the game. Ergo I claim what I see, an obnoxious brat stirring shit because they have to let everyone know that PC's are superior. Good for you, when you stop measuring your dick by your PC's processing power maybe you'll understand the complaints that many people have about the PC users here.
Look, if you want to misconstrue everything I say, be my guest. It's even amusing actually. But at least stay on topic. Here, let me make it clear and simple for you - I dont care if PC or consoles are better. I Dont Care!!! All I'm saying is that console version of Torchlight 2 would be inferior to PC version of Torchlight 2. Purely mechanically. That's it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

your funny

shoulder/triggers = 1-4
d-pad = 5-8

So you see nothing wrong with your reply? Like the fact that what you described is emulating the controls, not adapting them. Congratulations, half of your buttons will be assigned for skill hotkeys. How is that exactly on par with a keyboard? And where are you gonna put the rest of commands? Sprint, pick up loot, highlight loot, open minimap, open inventory, for crying out loud. Oh, right, you will have to use directional UI like Skyrim had. Boy, that one was convenient, wasnt it. besides, its not a question if they can make it, it's a question of which one is better. And you really want to tell me that directional UI is better than mouse driven UI? Or controller is better than keyboard and mouse? There are games and genres where controller is superior, no doubt about that. But please, do me a favor and stop imagining that console version of Torchlight 2 would be on par with PC version.
seriously .... I have to explain the picks ups. I would have though that would have been self explanatory *sighs*

what button do you use to pick up the drops with the MOUSE (ya know the think with both buttons bound to skill slots -.-). the left one, since that's the primary attack button X is the home it'd likely have. cause ya know >.> no game in the history of ever has had one button do more then one thing, nope this is a totally new concept -.-

a controller would be better, since the movement is bound to the oh so wonderful idea of 'hold mouse button down and you run that way' design -.- yeah, that'S oh so much better then using an the thumb sticks to get around.

as for the UI, lol, really, your comparing Bethesda's half assed programing "skills" to Runic's? really? Need I remind you that almost all of the good-great content/fixes for any TSE game made, is made by THE MODDERS and not the people, ya know, paid to make THE GAME. Your a PC gamer right? How do you not know this. But since I am not a modder nor programer my self I admit to not having a UI solution on hand. How ever, it can be done well, just requires a good team of programers that know what they're doing.

the simple truth is Torch Light 2 can be ported, and ported well to the consoles, and the list to make it work isn't nearly as long as you think, assuming that it was actually gonna happen. feel free to stop overblowing just how complex the game actually is anytime. Its a Diablo clone (and a better Diablo then Diablo at that), not Rome: Total War.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
Lunar Templar said:
AJey said:
SonicWaffle said:
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:

your funny

shoulder/triggers = 1-4
d-pad = 5-8

seriously .... I have to explain the picks ups. I would have though that would have been self explanatory *sighs*

what button do you use to pick up the drops with the MOUSE (ya know the think with both buttons bound to skill slots -.-). the left one, since that's the primary attack button X is the home it'd likely have. cause ya know >.> no game in the history of ever has had one button do more then one thing, nope this is a totally new concept -.-

a controller would be better, since the movement is bound to the oh so wonderful idea of 'hold mouse button down and you run that way' design -.- yeah, that'S oh so much better then using an the thumb sticks to get around.

as for the UI, lol, really, your comparing Bethesda's half assed programing "skills" to Runic's? really? Need I remind you that almost all of the good-great content/fixes for any TSE game made, is made by THE MODDERS and not the people, ya know, paid to make THE GAME. Your a PC gamer right? How do you not know this. But since I am not a modder nor programer my self I admit to not having a UI solution on hand. How ever, it can be done well, just requires a good team of programers that know what they're doing.

the simple truth is Torch Light 2 can be ported, and ported well to the consoles, and the list to make it work isn't nearly as long as you think, assuming that it was actually gonna happen. feel free to stop overblowing just how complex the game actually is anytime. Its a Diablo clone (and a better Diablo then Diablo at that), not Rome: Total War.
What is wrong with you? Am I speaking foreign language or something? Can you understand simple context or not? I dont care about your silly button layouts. All I am arguing here is a simple truth - PC version of Torchlight 2 will always be better than console version of Torchlight 2 due to mechanical limitations. It's irrelevant how good or bad the port might be. That's not the point for crying out loud. Keyboard and mouse are objectively better for that game than a controller. Can you understand that or not?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
AJey said:
What is wrong with you? Am I speaking foreign language or something? Can you understand simple context or not? I dont care about your silly button layouts. All I am arguing here is a simple truth - PC version of Torchlight 2 will always be better than console version of Torchlight 2 due to mechanical limitations. It's irrelevant how good or bad the port might be. That's not the point for crying out loud. Keyboard and mouse are objectively better for that game than a controller. Can you understand that or not?
bad choice of words ....

Objectively better, isn't factually better. KB/M is factually better for RTS, as example. All saying something is 'objectively better' translates to is 'it is of my own opinion that this is better', and opinion is hardly credible as fact. Especially since the port in question is never going to happen anyway so your ranting about something that's never gonna happen anyway, thus there's no way to confirm beyond doubt which version would be actually better or not. It's just your opinion the PC version would be better, nothing more. Please stop acting like it's anything more then that. It's becoming irritating to read.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Damn it! I was hoping to get TL2 for the 360. Guess I wont be playing it anytime soon then.
loc978 said:
...There was a 360 release of Torchlight 1? Huh. How did they make the inventory system work? Seems like sorting loot would take forever with a controller...
It's been a while since I last played, but I don't remember moving things around in the inventory being that bad.

AJey said:
Blah blah blah. Snip
I don't know why you keep going on and on about the game getting dumbed down and whatnot when the truth is, unless you are a PC Nazi, it doesn't matter. So long as they get the controls to work well and have the game still be fun only those with a stick shoved up their ass would care. I'm sure even you realize that there are plenty of people out there who don't give a shit if it's a slightly "inferior" version of the PC game because they just want to play the game on their system of choice.