Torchlight II and Borderlands 2 - What the hell went wrong?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
These 2 games just puzzle me. They're both sequels to games I absolutely love, have been hopelessly hooked to, and improved on their predecessors in every way I could have wanted. Yet they both make a peculiar case of me having neither played nor liked either of them nearly as much as I loved the first ones, and peculiarly for almost exactly the same reasons. How should this be even possible?

Well, I know a few reasons.

- Whereas the first Torchlight was strictly singleplayer, the second one features multiplayer. Oh, scratch that, it feels more like designed entirely around multiplayer. The loot you get in singleplayer is simply complete garbage, and gives you absolutely no hope of beating the enemies on any higher diffculty setting than Normal. The only good loot you get is from multiplayer.

- I might be one of the probably around 10 people that likes Diablo 3's multiplayer more than TL2's. You see, the linearity of Diablo helps the players stay together since there's always only one way forward, in or out of locations and it's very easy to jump right into the thick of the action with the banners. TL2's maps are sprawling and require exploration, so more often than not my multiplayer matches have ended up with all players running in different directions with maybe one player desperately trying to get them together. And even when you get the group together, the open maps make it quite hard for it to stay together unless you have a very coordinated team.

- The environments. The first one had a very varied set of locations with specific enemies, color palettes and themes. While this holds also true in the second one, the 4-act structure limits the variety considerably, despite there being effort to introduce variety within acts. The dungeon-based, disjointed structure of the first made bother less when you jumped from a lava-filled prison to a drenched, jungle temple environment. But the second tries to introduce a consistent world, so it has to stretch its scope and try to make the change of environments make more sense, which in return diminishes their variety.

- Staggeringly, the story. I know it makes little sense to say the Torchlight series even has a story, but in the first one I at least knew who the villain was, what he was trying to do and how. In the second the Alchemist is never seen outside of animated cutscenes, and I completely forgot why he needed the mana guardians to weaken or something. To awaken some ancient evil I guess? But I didn't even know what I was supposed to be fighting when the final big monster showed up. I can't remember a single NPC name. I don't even remember there being any support NPCs. In the first you had at least one: Syl, the mage chick.

- The difficulty. I wasn't bothered by the first one being way too easy, even on Hard. But in TL2 the difference between normal and hard feels the same as being slightly caressed on the cheek and having your face smashed in with a sledgehammer. On Normal things are way too easy to the point of maddening boredom, and on Hard most of the bosses can kill you before you can even shout ?UNFAIR!? It doesn't help that they're usually aided by hordes of smaller enemies which can peck your health away even when you're repeatedly chugging health potions, slow you, drain your mana etc.
- The exact problem with loot from Torchlight 2 can be placed here word for word, just replace Torchlight 2 with Borderlands 2.

- The environments. This is probably the most baffling of all, since this was IMO the only major flaw of Borderlands 1. But in the first one you spent quite a lot of time and questing in the same environments, i.e. Fyrestone, New Haven and such, even occasionally returning to them for late-game quests. At least for me it helped to establish a sense of setting and place. But in the second one the environments rarely feature more than a few quests and are then instantly forgotten about. It felt like wasting the environments: why make these huge, colourful sprawling levels if I'm only going to visit there once, never to return?

- The difficulty. With the aforementioned crap loot, and enemies (especially tougher ones) having way way way WAY too much health for their own good, many times I just found myself cowardly sitting in a corner somewhre slowly peddling away at the enemies' health. It didn't feel challenging, it felt like a war of attrition.

Woah, that was a lot of text. Anyways, have any of you had similar feelings for these games? Or experiences where you should have loved a game but didn't?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
bartholen said:
- I might be one of the probably around 10 people that likes Diablo 3's multiplayer more than TL2's.
Personally, I like D3 as a whole more than Torchlight II. I've actually finished a difficulty in Diablo III, which is more than I can say for Torchlight II. Though for me it mostly comes down to the art style and gameplay.

I like the aesthetic of Torchlight and all, but I've found that the more grimdark aesthetic of Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Diablo is more enjoyable to actually look at for me, and the halfway point between cartoony and grimdark that Diablo III strikes is just perfect to me.

And I've never really cared for those static skill systems where you just plonk in extra points to get some extra damage. They're not bad, but they're what every ARPG is doing, except Diablo III. I love finding new ways to mix and match abilities and runes. And then there's the auto-attacks, which I always seem to bring up in these threads... Grim Dawn looks pretty sweet, because the normal melee attacks actually look like they've got some nice weight behind them but they're not slow and clunky like Diablo II, Torchlight, or Path of Exile. But Diablo III won my heart because of its Signature Spells that replace auto-attacks, which just feel a lot more satisfying to use.

Er... ugh, I told myself I'd stop making posts about Diablo...

Anyway, yeah, I've got that same feeling about Torchlight and Borderlands both. Borderlands I think puts me off for much the same reason most open-world games do, in that it feels like the game wants you to do everything except progress the story. I don't mind world-building and pointless side-quests, but the Borderlands games have both just had so much fluff in them that in my opinion Assassin's Creed is the only other franchise that really gives them a run for the filler award.

Also, The Witcher is a pretty good contender. I like high fantasy, I like deep storylines, I even kinda like the actual gameplay in both games, but they're just not really grabbing me. It's doing a little better job now, I started the first Witcher again yesterday, but it just feels like something is missing, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Borderlands 2 was a big disappointment for me. The loot was all the same, I kept finding the same shotguns with 2 rounds but they shoot 3 per shot and stuff like that. The only uniques I found were from quests and having leveled quest loot is the dumbest thing ever. The difficulty seemed out of wack as well, with everything basically all explosive attacks one shotting you. I got so salty at that game.

The classes were okay, but only having one active skill is kinda boring but I understand considering the button limit.

I also wanted a game to rival Diablo 2, but I mean...thats impossible cause D2 is my favourite arpg ever. I still play it and I still love it.

I played Torchlight 1 and it is alright...it sure is no D2 though. :)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I never played the original Borderlands, but I did recently play through the sequel with my girlfriend and we both thought it was three tons of fun. Had a great time with that title.

Mind you, the personality and general ease of play won me over. Perhaps if I was already jaded at both from the original I wouldn't have found it as charming.

Still yet to try TL2. It's been sitting on my hard drive for what feels like a year at this point, but it keeps getting shunted aside for other things.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
bartholen said:
- Whereas the first Torchlight was strictly singleplayer, the second one features multiplayer. Oh, scratch that, it feels more like designed entirely around multiplayer. The loot you get in singleplayer is simply complete garbage, and gives you absolutely no hope of beating the enemies on any higher diffculty setting than Normal. The only good loot you get is from multiplayer.

- The difficulty. I wasn't bothered by the first one being way too easy, even on Hard. But in TL2 the difference between normal and hard feels the same as being slightly caressed on the cheek and having your face smashed in with a sledgehammer.
Can't really comment on Borderlands 2 since I've never played it but as someone who's spent a fair bit of time with Torchlight 2, Steam tells me 40 hours, I can comment on these and say.... huh?

The vast majority of the time I've spent playing Torchlight 2 has been singleplayer and I always play on the harder difficulty. It's challenging but also far from impossible, nor have I had any trouble with loot whatsoever. Indeed I'm in the process of playing Newgame+ with my engineer and I've been having a blast! Meanwhile I've got 2 other characters I use for multiplayer which are also on harder difficulties and highly entertaining.

Compare that to Diablo 3 where I have to replay the entire campaign on normal if I just want to play something challenging. It's bullshit! And Diablo 3's 'normal' difficulty is so damned easy and boring I don't think I died a single time while playing the game till the final chapter, and what's more it was a cheap death that got me where the game took control away from me. So like hell I'm making any new characters and slogging my way through that boring mess all over again, it's not like the story is worth it. Torchlight 2 doesn't really bother much with the story, which is definitely a bit disappointing. But Diablo 3 shoves its story in your face and what's worse, it's BAD. Like really cringe-worthy bad. It's like some little todler you don't even know constantly jumping up in your face to show off his latest scribble drawing: Entertaining at first but before long you're wondering where the hell this kids parents are so he'll go away.

That was how bad Diablo 3's story way. Meanwhile as far as visuals go I like both games evenly really. Diablo 3 was nice to look at and I also find Torchlight 2's painterly aesthetics surprisingly beautiful. There are some locations later in the game that just looked stunning. Music and sound however Torchlight 2 wins easily. Diablo 3's soundtrack was thoroughly mediocre whereas Torchlight 2 had Matt 'freakin' Uelmen, the king of atmospheric music.

As for games I figure I should have liked more than I ultimately did... Assassins Creed. Love the historical settings but despite trying I've never gotten into the series, it just never clicked with me.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I think it's difficult to make sequels of mechanics based games. TL and BL were fun because they were well-made games. not because they had awesome storylines. Once you fire up TL2 and BL2, the mechanics feel pretty much the same except perhaps the game is more bloated. Neither game really feels like they took the vision of the original and turned it up to 11, just they took the name and made a slightly different game. They aren't terrible (I played through both and had fun) but they are just ok.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I beat TL2 on Veteran entirely by myself...
I actually have a level 100 embermage that was leveled entirely through single player.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
bartholen said:
Entirely untrue. Loot is exactly, I mean EXACTLY, the same for single and multiplayer. There are no drop bonuses/penalties or any modification when playing with others. Each person gets their separate loot list, so you get more loot overall and can trade with others for items, still each loot list isn't any better or worse than the SP one. Also, "designed around multiplayer" - are you serious? I've played several characters so far and I've done...I think 2-4 hours of LAN in total. That's it. One time we didn't finish first part of act 1 the second time we got to the second part and that's about it. I've played Elite and it's still possible singleplater.

bartholen said:
- I might be one of the probably around 10 people that likes Diablo 3's multiplayer more than TL2's. You see, the linearity of Diablo helps the players stay together since there's always only one way forward, in or out of locations and it's very easy to jump right into the thick of the action with the banners. TL2's maps are sprawling and require exploration, so more often than not my multiplayer matches have ended up with all players running in different directions with maybe one player desperately trying to get them together. And even when you get the group together, the open maps make it quite hard for it to stay together unless you have a very coordinated team.
Erm, multiplayer is designed to be played with friends/people you know. Other than that, it's not really a problem of people running off elsewhere, unless you really want to be around them.
bartholen said:
- The difficulty. I wasn't bothered by the first one being way too easy, even on Hard. But in TL2 the difference between normal and hard feels the same as being slightly caressed on the cheek and having your face smashed in with a sledgehammer. On Normal things are way too easy to the point of maddening boredom, and on Hard most of the bosses can kill you before you can even shout ?UNFAIR!? It doesn't help that they're usually aided by hordes of smaller enemies which can peck your health away even when you're repeatedly chugging health potions, slow you, drain your mana etc.
When you say "hard" what do you mean? There is Veteran and Elite in TL2 - Elite is not really forgiving for unoptimised builds, so if you're playing that and your build isn't good, you'll die a lot. Vertan is way easier and is the "normal" difficulty of the game, while Normal is the "easy" one. If you're struggling on Veteran, I'd suggest seriously revising your build and/or your playstyle - while almost all builds playstyles are viable, not all necessarily match the players.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Not sure I get where you're coming from with Borderlands 2. To me it stayed in the same areas just as long as it should have. As for the loot, I can kinda get that. Ish. I learnt very quickly that you needed to be more versatile, you couldn't just say "Okay, I'm going to mainly use assault rifles ETC" particularly in mid range combat, you needed to use what you got. Many a time, I've found it better to use an SMG as my assault rifle, a shotgun for close range, and keeping a sniper rifle on me if enemies got a little too far away. Many a time, the best weapon in my arsenal has been a pistol.

I'd advise you pay closer attention to the gun manufacturers if you end up trying it again. In BL1, they definately felt different from one and other, but they were less well defined in said difference, here each company has a niche and special ability. I could use SMGs as assault rifles, because they were hyperion, and thus becomes more accurate as you fire. The first few shots would go wild, but they would quickly become incredibly accurate.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Torchlight 2 is difficult?! Really? I don't know, it wasn't easy, sure, but difficult, hell no!
Also, I really enjoyed Diablo 3, but there were 2 things I hated about it!
1)Randomized boss traits. It's like there's a 10% chance you're gonna be totally mauled to death by some random boss in a middle of field.
2)Difficulty. I've breezed through first 3 difficulty settings and 1 act of fourth, but then, it was like getting hit by a brick wall. Maybe they've fixed by now, I was thinking about getting into Diablo 3 again.

And yeah, I really loved how Diablo 3 mixed things a bit in a stale ARPG genre.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
DoPo said:
Entirely untrue. Loot is exactly, I mean EXACTLY, the same for single and multiplayer. There are no drop bonuses/penalties or any modification when playing with others. Each person gets their separate loot list, so you get more loot overall and can trade with others for items, still each loot list isn't any better or worse than the SP one. Also, "designed around multiplayer" - are you serious? I've played several characters so far and I've done...I think 2-4 hours of LAN in total. That's it. One time we didn't finish first part of act 1 the second time we got to the second part and that's about it. I've played Elite and it's still possible singleplater.
Well I didn't know that. The only good gear I've gotten for my lvl 40 Veteran Berserk has been from multiplayer, and even then from mostly trading with other players.

DoPo said:
Erm, multiplayer is designed to be played with friends/people you know. Other than that, it's not really a problem of people running off elsewhere, unless you really want to be around them.
Erm, not all of us have enough friends who own Torchlight 2, are playing it at the moment and have time to play it at the same time as me.

DoPo said:
When you say "hard" what do you mean? There is Veteran and Elite in TL2 - Elite is not really forgiving for unoptimised builds, so if you're playing that and your build isn't good, you'll die a lot. Vertan is way easier and is the "normal" difficulty of the game, while Normal is the "easy" one. If you're struggling on Veteran, I'd suggest seriously revising your build and/or your playstyle - while almost all builds playstyles are viable, not all necessarily match the players.
By Hard I mean Veteran. For the record, I just went back for a moment to check, and I really was playing on Veteran. And you know what? The very first enemy (a miniboss) I ran into killed me in less than 5 seconds. I guess you could say "well upgrade your gear!" This is where my point about the loot comes into play. The loot I get usually has a higher armour rating than my gear ATM, but little else. My gear has stat buffs, health regeneration, multiple elemental resistance buffs, ember shards and enchantments. Add to that the fact that some of the gear sets offer pretty kickass bonuses when you wear enough pieces, and switching to other equipment becomes very untempting, since you'll obviously want to keep the 20% health stealing bonus from wearing 2 pieces of that one set of gear.
The Madman said:
But Diablo 3 shoves its story in your face and what's worse, it's BAD. Like really cringe-worthy bad. It's like some little todler you don't even know constantly jumping up in your face to show off his latest scribble drawing: Entertaining at first but before long you're wondering where the hell this kids parents are so he'll go away.
That I find untrue. You can skip all the cutscenes in Diablo 3, prerendered or otherwise. You don't have to bother with the story of D3 at all if you don't want to.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
bartholen said:
Erm, not all of us have enough friends who own Torchlight 2, are playing it at the moment and have time to play it at the same time as me.
Hence why I've played 2-4 hours of LAN in total. The rest of the time has been SP. If you do want to play with other players, you'd need to find some that want to play it like you, not an absolutely random assembly of people.

bartholen said:
By Hard I mean Veteran. For the record, I just went back for a moment to check, and I really was playing on Veteran. And you know what? The very first enemy (a miniboss) I ran into killed me in less than 5 seconds. I guess you could say "well upgrade your gear!" This is where my point about the loot comes into play. The loot I get usually has a higher armour rating than my gear ATM, but little else. My gear has stat buffs, health regeneration, multiple elemental resistance buffs, ember shards and enchantments. Add to that the fact that some of the gear sets offer pretty kickass bonuses when you wear enough pieces, and switching to other equipment becomes very untempting, since you'll obviously want to keep the 20% health stealing bonus from wearing 2 pieces of that one set of gear.
Elemental resistance, do you mean armour or damage reduction? Because armour is quite useless. Similar thing goes for some of the ember shards - elemental ember is not worth the slot you put it in, so I hope you're not using that. Other than that, what's your build? I haven't actually played any zerkers (well, I started one but I think he's at around level 12 or so and is just sitting there in my character list for half a year now) so I don't really know that much about them, but you can run your stat/skill distribution by the Berserker forum over at Runic. Also, since you have lifesteal, should I assume you have an autoattack build? Those are slightly harder to manage. If you aren't, then you should know that skills (well, aside from 3 in the game, I think) don't apply health and mana steal. At any rate, you can try getting a shield to boost survivability.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Hrm...

Borderlands 1: 118hrs
Borderlands 2: 472hrs

=/

I think the kicker for me for BL2 is there's more of a more cohesive overall storyline tying everything together, made you hate the antagonist, as opposed to a bunch of random quests that seemed to be the case in BL1.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
bartholen said:
- Loot sucks

I remember Torchlight I having awful loot as well. Unless you modded either game, that's just how it was. This all just from my own personal experiences, but I've beaten Torchlight II on Veteran numerous times by myself. I never had any issue and I'm not the best player in the world either. In fact I'm quite bad. (Keyboard reflexes aren't very good)

bartholen said:
- Diablo 3's multiplayer
Haven't played D3 so I cant comment here.

bartholen said:
- Environment variety
Can't agree here. Torchlight I had the town, a mine level, a crypt level, a jungle ruin level, a subteranean cave level, a fire prison level, a dwarven castle level, and a dark cathedral level reminiscent of Diablo 1's hell level. Which granted all that is not a small amount of variety, and I enjoyed them all but Torchlight II beats it easily.

TL2 has grassy overworld, crypts, graveyards, snowy areas, deserts, swamps, the nether realm, an ancient mechanical egyptian like tomb, an infernal underground mine and others I know I'm forgeting.
To each their own of course, but for me TL2 far outstrips the first game in terms of location variety.

bartholen said:
Story in these types of games means nothing to me, so I can't comment here.

bartholen said:
- difficulty
This I can agree with. The game can pretty fucking brutal even on Veteran. If you intend to play on anything above Normal, you're unfortunately going to have to do some mild grinding to get certain drops from certain bosses, take specific builds, and optimize pretty heavily. Otherwise you'll just be throwing yourself up against impenetrable walls of flesh that mock your every blow.

bartholen said:
- Loot again
And once again I can't agree. In both games I've always played by myself and have never had any serious problems with not being geared up enough to finish the task before me. *shrug* Opinions and all.

bartholen said:
- Environments again
Really? I have a hard time seeing how this can even be argued, with respect.
BL1 had deserts. And more deserts. And deserts still. And some snowy bits toward the end.
BL2 had a wealth of areas. The glacier you begin on, the snowy wastes around Sanctuary and the acidic caverns that lie under it, a gleaming technologically advanced city, a slagged wasteland complete with volcano, a wildlife preserve and on and on. Not counting DLC's, there's easily three times as many location types.

bartholen said:
- difficulty again
Everything up to Ultimate Vault Hunter felt just perfectly balanced to me. Just enough challenge without being too frustrating. And I'm usually one of the first ones to complain about that stuff.
UVHM though is a broken joke.

At the end of the day, as I said, opinions and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just sharing my own personal experience.

quinquecirrha

Jun 5, 2013
I thought Borderlands 2 was a big improvement over the first. Better story, more varied environments, more differences between the manufacturers, and better playable characters. I never had much trouble finding good gear, either. My only problem with it is that it's clear that it was designed with multiplayer in mind, and I played on my own. Still, it wasn't enough of an issue to make it unplayable.

As far as difficulty is concerned, did you try playing as all of the characters? I tried Zero when I first started, but sniping started to bore me, and I died every time I tried melee. Once I started over with Axton, I had no problems. Maybe the character or skills you were using just weren't a good match for your play style.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I finished Torchlight II three times so far. I liked it. Play it with friends, as many as possible. That's my recommendation. Personally I get quite bored if I try to go it alone.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
What went wrong with Borderlands 2? I think it's pretty simple, Gearbox decided they wanted a more MMO-style loot system, and the game suffered for it. Instead of having about even chances of getting high-grade items out of chests or as drops, they assigned each boss a legendary drop (with extremely low drop rates), and placed most of the bosses in places that sure feel like raid dungeons. That piles on with the pacing issues that were present in BL1, and Gearbox's apparent hate of sniper builds to make playing as Zero really annoying. Gaige and Axton are way more fun, but the inherent loot thing still bugs me.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
My main problems with Borderlands 2 were that there wasn't a dedicated melee character at launch, and that all the shotguns are shit.
Jakobs shotguns can only shoot twice at most before reload. I remember loving Jakobs shotguns in 1. They had high damage, but other stats weren't terrible.
Tediore is Tediore. Nuff' said.
Bandit Shotguns had terrible stats aside from capacity. (I miss S&S)
Hyperion Shotguns ate through ammo at a terrifying rate, and had only sort of good stats.
Torgue shotguns were the most tolerable, but their stats were still wonky.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I disagree with almost everything you said, but this:
bartholen said:
was one of several things that prevented my from enjoying TL2. Normal was a an absolute insult, to the point that I think I got to the first elemental spirit without spending any skill points at all, and beat the entire first chapter with only basic attacks. But once I turned it up to veteran I suddenly found myself ineffectively plinking away at the most basic of mobs, who all seemed to have had several zeros bolted onto their health, which absolute kills the pace of combat, and made bosses a massive chore.