TotalBiscuit retires - health failing

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
stroopwafel said:
Chimpzy said:
I was never particularly a fan of his, but I feel for him. I've seen people say he deserves this.
Really? I never really watched his videos or anything but I wonder what the perspective of these people is when someone 'deserves' to die over an opinion of a stupid videogame or something that is said on shitter 10 years ago or, low and behold, 'framerates'.

To me, anytime a young person either dies or is terminally ill it's always a stark reminder of the frailty of life and that it can be over at any second. A stark reminder to live your life without excessive fear, worry or anxiety. To not waste your days on petty grievances, sadness or regret. The inevatible will happen, it's only a question of when. In the end, we are just hanging by a thread before we are forever snapped out of existence. Even if you make it to the horror of old age.

Reading the reddit post I'm surprised how matter-of-fact TB is about his illness. But yeah, if they ceased treatment and only resort to palliative care now it's only a matter of time. His liver must have turned to mush from so much chemo which must have been absolutely brutal. Atleast he gave everything he got to buy himself a few more years. From what I understand he already defied the odds when he was diagnosed with late-stage bowel cancer.

But yeah, I wish him much spiritual strength.
It's possible he can find a clinical trial that will take him on and that will help him live longer. I've seen crazier things then that happen so i'm not giving up yet.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I am gonna be that guy and this is out of dissapointment.

Though I still pity him for his cancer and does not wish anyone to suffer it.

I have long since stopped caring about Totalbiscuit for awhile, especially when it comes to his content. This was the guy that used to push PC gaming out of the rut it was in the late 2000s. Every WTF games he reviewed was either games I am excited for and happy to see, and games that is just hilarious how broken it is.

But then his taste for games changed after awhile, like more and more and more he just started to review obscure as fuck indie games, most of them all these sprite based games with very simplistic gameplay and I am like, "What is this TB? I can play this on Xbox Live Arcade, why are you covering this?" it reached a catalyst when he then refuse to give Witcher 3 any ackwoledgement, the most highly anticipated PC game ever (even though it was multiplatform, its roots was in PC gaming) and he didn't even gave an award to it because of petty political reasons that I honestly don't care about (as in not politics regarding Social Justice mind you)

And then there is him shutting down comments, and to be frank it was one of the worst mistakes he has ever made and hypocritical of him at times, the official story of him doing that as far as I know was that Google was trying to merge Youtube and Google Accounts into one whole Mega-account and this caused a lot of ire in youtube, TB protested by shutting down comments, but since then, people stopped caring, but TB hasn't restored comments, instead prompting to use reddit instead making communication with him more inconviniant then it actually was.

And then there's his co-optional podcast and his friends and honestly, I never liked Jesse Cox and the female who's name eludes me at the moment, especially Cox because he talks way too much and TB doesn't talk at all, and Cox is no where near as cool as TB was.

In the end I just think Totalbiscuit lost his edge in recent times, he used to be cool, now he became lame as time went on, so I will miss the man he used to be, not the man he later became.
He explained the Witcher 3 thing in a Soundcloud, basically because GOG(which is owned by Witcher developer/publisher CD Projekt Red) was a direct sponsor of his Starcraft 2 eSports team Axiom, promoting one of CDPR's games would've been a massive conflict of interest for him:https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/getting-the-last-word-in-on-witcher-3 It was not due to "petty political reasons" or any BS like that.

Dodger is the "female" you are talking about and she is funny and brilliant, she just had a baby and now TB's wife Genna is taking over her role.

TB talks plenty on the podcast, i've actually heard complaints that TB is the one who talks over everybody else on there.

TB is not "lame" at all, but your post sure as hell is. TB still has his "Edge"

He shut down comments on Youtube because they were getting really toxic, can't really blame him for that. I actually like using Reddit to comment on his videos moreso then Youtube, because it's way easier to actually have a productive discussion on Reddit then on Youtube.
I know about the Soundcloud, and I just find it petty that he cares. I want to hear his opinion on the game, if he criticizes it, if anyone should be concerned about it, its CDProjektRED, the controversy should be on them if they act against TB for giving Witcher 3 a negative review.

Not of fan of Dodger. No offense to her.

I listend to my fair share of the podcast and in my experiance its usually Cox that dominates the conversation

But he alinates a whole user base denying a chance to comment in his channel. I don't have a reddit account, I don't have a twitter account and don't want to. (mostly because I think they are redundant)
Well it's not petty to him at all. TB actually didn't "alienate an entire userbase" at all, his subs barely dropped at all after he turned off comments.

From my experience TB dominates the conversation.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
bartholen said:
Can't say I ever watched his content. A couple of vids, didn't elicit much of a reaction from me in any direction. I do remember him going into weirdly specific and long-winded detail about graphics customization options in every video I watched. Love or hate him, he has been a central voice in the gaming community and has a large following, and that vacuum will be filled. By who remains to be seen.

I recently stumbled across this youtube channel called "The Completionist". At first it seemed like it was about trophy guides and how absurd some trophies can be. But no. It's just another review channel, and one I'm not sure isn't generated by an algorithm because the content is so banal, so by the books, so generic, so devoid of personality or creativity that it creates this paradox of mediocrity: the fact that the content creates no response whatsoever itself creates a very strong response of annoyance. Plus it's another example on my list of what constitutes corporate shill manchild hype culture. No original ideas, only reviewing the most well known games, overly excited voice, no personality... and this hack has 900k subscribers.
Jirard's content is not "generic" at all(his Ride to Hell should put that BS notion to rest), and he does not only review well-known games, he also does plenty of lesser known ones. He's not a "Hack" at all and is most definitely not "devoid of personality or charm" and is not a "corporate shill manchild" at all, he's called out game companies plenty of times.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
CaitSeith said:
bartholen said:
A completely unnecessary and unrelated tangent on another gaming content creator

I recently stumbled across this youtube channel called "The Completionist". At first it seemed like it was about trophy guides and how absurd some trophies can be. But no. It's just another review channel, and one I'm not sure isn't generated by an algorithm because the content is so banal, so by the books, so generic, so devoid of personality or creativity that it creates this paradox of mediocrity: the fact that the content creates no response whatsoever itself creates a very strong response of annoyance. Plus it's another example on my list of what constitutes corporate shill manchild hype culture. No original ideas, only reviewing the most well known games, overly excited voice, no personality... and this hack has 900k subscribers.
I used to follow him (like, 5 years ago).

His main stitch is that he gets all collectibles, endings, trophies/achievements, post-game content and secrets in every game he reviews beforehand; so in the review's conclusion he scores the game according to how much of the game you can play (complete 100%, just finish it, play it occasionally, not play it at all) before it stops being enjoyable and becomes a chore to play. He also makes sure his criticisms are as family-friendly as possible, and plays both old games and recent releases.

He is pretty much the safe-space for those who don't care about politics and questionable corporate practices in gaming.
But he has called out bad practices before(on his DLC podcast)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
darkrage6 said:
Don't stress yourself too much over defending youtubers. Not criticizing you or telling you to stop, I have done similar, just don't want you to feel like criticism of TB or Jirard is somehow criticism of you.

Nov 9, 2015
darkrage6 said:
People from the other side hated him too, throwing a hissy fit because he dared to have a moment of silence at the start of one episode of Co Optional in honor of some Muslims who were killed in a hate crime.
There was also that time when he said Trump voters were not his audience, and that one time he kicked out a guy for making the "Are traps gay?" joke.

Then they pass around screencaps of TB of his "get cancer" tweet, or the Something Awful rant. I mean I'm not expecting you to have to feel sad for TB now that he's going to pass away, but at least try not to make this guy just a couple of screencaps from a long time ago.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Expected but sad nonetheless. I'd wish him the best, but it does feel kind of hollow. I gradually lost interest in the guy over the years. I don't really have the dislike of him that some do. He does come off as a bit overbearing at times and he clearly has some issues with interacting with the internet as a minor e-celeb (to be fair, the internet is a horrible place, that can chew you up and spit you out if you have the slightest weakness to its cruelties) but I never found him as bad as some apparently do.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I stopped watching his videos when I realised that you could cut two thirds of a video and still have all the information. He repeats himself so often that it reminds me of those 10 hour annoying song videos.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I feel bad for the dude because of his health, though I can't say I was ever a fan. I tried watching a couple of his video reviews but god are they way too fucking long. His shortest review I can find from a casual youtube search is 20 minutes. A
lot of them clock in at an hour or so. Seriously, dude? I got shit to do. If I have an hour to watch stuff on youtube, I could also be watching half a feature length film or a couple normal episodes of serialized TV. An hour for a review just seems fucking excessive.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
darkrage6 said:
RobertEHouse said:
I did watch him on YT, for about a few years. Lost interest later on,when TB stated "how used games were killing the industry" and just stop watching. He inserted his opinions as if they were fact when they were clearly not. He also came off just a little too smug at times and in person his personality irked a lot of people it seemed.

Besides my personal opinions, the fact is Liver Cancer is really fatal if its not caught soon. Although you can remove parts of the liver and still have it function. Or have a liver transplant, either way from the sounds of it TB might be ending his career and this actually might be the real end for him.

" 43% of people who are diagnosed at an early stage, the 5-year survival rate is 31%. If liver cancer has spread to surrounding tissues or organs and/or the regional lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is 11%. If the cancer has spread to a distant part of the body, the 5-year survival rate is 3%. However, even if the cancer is found at a more advanced stage, treatments are available that help many people with liver cancer experience a quality of life similar to that of before their diagnosis, at least for some time.*"

*https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/liver-cancer/statistics

Although i hold no high regards to the man himself because of his personality.To die this way is far from painless and will require a lot of care for him. I wish him luck
TB was just playing devil's advocate in that used games, he's said he has no problems with people getting used games, he just has a different perspective since he's more of a PC-gamer then a console one and used games for the most part aren't really a thing for PC games anymore. That also comes from his experiences of working at GAME in the UK where he was told to push used games over new ones as much as possible.

Also TB actually has bowel cancer, not liver cancer.

He's not really smug, he actually does a lot of self-deprecation.

Although he did play devil's advocate a lot, the problem was the day he aired his episode on "used games killing the industry". He never countered his argument about the very topic. Nor did he use his old and true "devil's advocate for a moment" line like he did in the past.

At the time most of the talk was about "used console gaming " killing the industry, not PC. He then perceived to make a jab at people who did buy "used console games". Considering TB was known to have economic problems with taking care of his son, this was just obtuse.

Bowel cancer or liver cancer, the percentages to live is not very long. In fact to be honest, the percentages really don't change all that much. The liver though would have been the less of a hell then what Cancer of the bowel does eventually do to a person and that is saying much.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/if-you-have-colon-rectal-cancer.html
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/treating/by-stage-colon.html

Wish him good luck to try and beat this.

He is still a very Smug person.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
darkrage6 said:
RobertEHouse said:
I did watch him on YT, for about a few years. Lost interest later on,when TB stated "how used games were killing the industry" and just stop watching. He inserted his opinions as if they were fact when they were clearly not. He also came off just a little too smug at times and in person his personality irked a lot of people it seemed.

Besides my personal opinions, the fact is Liver Cancer is really fatal if its not caught soon. Although you can remove parts of the liver and still have it function. Or have a liver transplant, either way from the sounds of it TB might be ending his career and this actually might be the real end for him.

" 43% of people who are diagnosed at an early stage, the 5-year survival rate is 31%. If liver cancer has spread to surrounding tissues or organs and/or the regional lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is 11%. If the cancer has spread to a distant part of the body, the 5-year survival rate is 3%. However, even if the cancer is found at a more advanced stage, treatments are available that help many people with liver cancer experience a quality of life similar to that of before their diagnosis, at least for some time.*"

Although i hold no high regards to the man himself because of his personality.To die this way is far from painless and will require a lot of care for him. I wish him luck
TB was just playing devil's advocate in that used games, he's said he has no problems with people getting used games, he just has a different perspective since he's more of a PC-gamer then a console one and used games for the most part aren't really a thing for PC games anymore. That also comes from his experiences of working at GAME in the UK where he was told to push used games over new ones as much as possible.

Although he did play devil's advocate a lot, the problem was the day he aired his episode on "used games killing the industry". He never countered his argument about the very topic. Nor did he use his old and true "devil's advocate for a moment" line like he did in the past.

At the time most of the talk was about "used console gaming " killing the industry, not PC. He then perceived to make a jab at people who did buy "used console games". Considering TB was known to have economic problems with taking care of his son, this was just obtuse.

Bowel cancer or liver cancer, the percentages to live is not very long. In fact to be honest, the percentages really don't change all that much. The liver though would have been the less of a hell then what Cancer of the bowel does eventually do to a person and that is saying much.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/if-you-have-colon-rectal-cancer.html

He is still a very Smug person.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
darkrage6 said:
RobertEHouse said:

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
darkrage6 said:

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
darkrage6 said:

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Oh my stars and garters. I've seen double posts aplenty. Maybe two triple posts in all my time here. But never in all my days was I ever expecting to see an actual quintuple post.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
He's had his bellendy moments over the years... Shit, who hasn't online? Following his content since 2011 & the Magicka LP he did with Yogscast, amount of stuff I'd have never thought to try before a wtf is or things I'd have been looking forward to & then probably regretted had I not seen it first. Was a real bodyblow when I saw that retirement post yesterday. Hope he finds some quiet & enjoys his retirement. You'll be missed, you rambunctiously snarky smeg-head, you.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
That sucks. We don't normally get this kind of regular exposure to a semi-famous person (it's not like celebs normally do half-decent amateur youtube vlogs), so it feels worse when they come out with severe diseases. Similarly, youtube's Queen of crappy robots has just come out as having a brain tumour. It's always a shock, and you assume people on the internet tv don't age or die.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
votemarvel said:
I stopped watching his videos when I realised that you could cut two thirds of a video and still have all the information. He repeats himself so often that it reminds me of those 10 hour annoying song videos.
Wrong, that is total BS.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
RobertEHouse said:
darkrage6 said:

But on the podcast he did clarify that he wasn't attacking people who liked used games. He just didn't like how game stores tried to force used games on consumers.