TotalBiscuit says Microsoft won E3

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
E3 was terrible. It was literally just buzzwords and pre-rendered cutscenes. I watched the Xbox next .5 720 clip four times and they just rattled off specs and said nothing about it but EXCITING words. You know what would have been sick? If they played some sort of tech demo on it to show what it can do but nah. Words. AMAZING. What we can do is great. Never before. Yeah real good conference.

I only wish I knew "amazing" would be the word everyone was using to describe everything this year, or I would have included it on our E3 drinkgo.

Literally the only thing that excited me was Kojimas game, which surprised me because I hated the MSG series, but it looks different as fuck.

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
Liljumpman said:
E3 was terrible. It was literally just buzzwords and pre-rendered cutscenes. I watched the Xbox next .5 720 clip four times and they just rattled off specs and said nothing about it but EXCITING words. You know what would have been sick? If they played some sort of tech demo on it to show what it can do but nah. Words. AMAZING. What we can do is great. Never before. Yeah real good conference.

I only wish I knew "amazing" would be the word everyone was using to describe everything this year, or I would have included it on our E3 drinkgo.

Literally the only thing that excited me was Kojimas game, which surprised me because I hated the MSG series, but it looks different as fuck.
I feel like this is your first E3? You're complaining about these things as if it's not the same thing every year.
"Ehhh it's shit every year must be your first time if you're complaining about it being shit! :DDDDD"

Look I'm aware that posts attacking it like mine, and defending it like yours are going to be the status quo now.

We'll be seeing "the new ips and library are shit!" and the "no I like them lol" posts for at least another month because all of this is

>opinions

But I'm sick of announcements for things without anything concrete behind them. I hate seeing developers stand on stage saying how incredible something is and to "take a look firsthand!" and have there be nothing but cutscenes that show nothing and footage with such high graphical quality there is no way in hell it's ever going to be in the game.

I'm not 18, single, rolling in fun money anymore to let me buy all consoles with a stacked PC and any game that comes out anymore. I'm 26, married with a mortgage and other shit, doesn't mean I can't afford >muh games, but I can't afford as many if I want to play something when it comes out, so I have to be more selective and it's hard to be selective about it when everything presented for the most part is bullshit.

Companies get sued for egregious false advertising, it should be the same.

And I find it funny that you complain about buzzwords and lack of demonstration, but then you praise Kojima's game.. A game which literally showed nothing except a teaser and was flaunted with some power words.
I have no idea if it's going to be a shooter, adventure, farcry clone or death simulator whatever. I've hated all kojimas previous games so it would be no surprise to me if I hated this one. It's just the only thing that excited me because of the way the pre-rendered nongameplay cutscene looked different to all the other pre-rendered non-gameplay cutscenes. At least one game from the entirety of E3 had to get me to look forward to something I suppose, so yeah point conceded you got me.

Oh and there was Fifa, having an actual career mode like NBA2k, finally. I liked the look of it, but I hope it's more like 2k15s RPG elements than 2k16's spike lee cringemovie

As for Project Scorpio, they most likely don't have anything presentable yet..
This is what shits me. If there is nothing presentable why are we presenting it with such force? If it's an announcement of a product why is there a developer montage saying how great it is when there is nothing presentable? There are people already saying what it can do, how what it can do is amazing so why the hell can't we see any of what it can do? How does this make sense? If we're at the point of montages hyping up a consoles specs, there should be something to show for that at E3.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Saelune said:
Hes a PC elitist who is probably just glad that Microsoft is apparently giving up on console gaming.
Even as a guy who games predominately on PC, I find his anti-console attitude grating - thus I can't be arsed to listen to his rants anymore. Not everyone wants the "flexibility" and all the hassle that comes with building and maintaining a PC nor is everyone able to afford it.

Who cares what you game on? It's the games that matter no?

So what if Uncharted 4 is PS4 exclusive? It's made by Sony themselves. If you want to play it, just buy a PS4 - it's not like you can't afford it when you are willing to drop $600 on a GPU; which isn't even a whole system like the PS4.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
deadish said:
Saelune said:
Hes a PC elitist who is probably just glad that Microsoft is apparently giving up on console gaming.
Even as a guy who games predominately on PC, I find his anti-console attitude grating - thus I can't be arsed to listen to his rants anymore. Not everyone wants the "flexibility" and all the hassle that comes with building and maintaining a PC nor is everyone able to afford it.

Who cares what you game on? It's the games that matter no?

So what if Uncharted 4 is PS4 exclusive? It's made by Sony themselves. If you want to play it, just buy a PS4 - it's not like you can't afford it when you are willing to drop $600 on a GPU; which isn't even a whole system like the PS4.
What "hassle"? No, seriously, what hassle?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Michael Prymula said:
Sony didn't answer Microsoft at all, which made them look scared and pathetic.
It didn't make Sony look scared or pathetic. I honestly don't see why you'd think that. There's literally nothing about Sony's conference that would make them seem scared of MS. They don't NEED to answer MS. They are ahead and they are doing their own thing. Hell, if they started calling out MS I'd argue that would be just petty and pointless.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Amir Kondori said:
Driver updates. Things breaking. Figuring out what settings would work best on your setup. Heck, figuring out whether your setup can run the game decently is a hassle ... etc.

Not everyone is capable of keeping track of computer hardware news, nor do most people want to. With consoles, if you see the PS4 logo, you know it will run and it will run decently. Zero burden of knowledge involved.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Jandau said:
Michael Prymula said:
Sony didn't answer Microsoft at all, which made them look scared and pathetic.
It didn't make Sony look scared or pathetic. I honestly don't see why you'd think that. There's literally nothing about Sony's conference that would make them seem scared of MS. They don't NEED to answer MS. They are ahead and they are doing their own thing. Hell, if they started calling out MS I'd argue that would be just petty and pointless.
MS is engaging in what is known as FUD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt).

They haven't even nailed down what their new consoles are going to do yet.

Sony is probably holding its cards close until they have finalize everything - which is kind of what Apple does as well.

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
deadish said:
Amir Kondori said:
Driver updates. Things breaking. Figuring out what settings would work best on your setup. Heck, figuring out whether your setup can run the game decently is a hassle ... etc.
System updates. Consoles bricking (see the red ring of death), Figuring settings out can be done by your GPU software (NVIDIAs software even changes them to that at the click of a button) and games run terrible on consoles as well. Sometimes they are near unplayable just because you are on the wrong console. (Skyrim on PS3, Hyrule Warriors on 3DS).

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Fhqwhgod said:
deadish said:
Amir Kondori said:
System updates. Consoles bricking (see the red ring of death), Figuring settings out can be done by your GPU software (NVIDIAs software even changes them to that at the click of a button) and games run terrible on consoles as well. Sometimes they are near unplayable just because you are on the wrong console. (Skyrim on PS3, Hyrule Warriors on 3DS).
System updates are pretty much automatic ...

As for things breaking ...see this is the good thing about consoles. You have only 2 possible culprits, either your console is broke (then you blame Sony/Microsoft) or the game is bugged to hell (then you blame the game developer). Console broke? If still in warranty, bug the manufacturer for a replacement - else get a new one. Game broken ... flame the game developer on the internet I suppose.

PC? /sigh Could be the game being broken on your specific setup. Could be bugged drivers. Could be hardware going bad ... good luck figuring out which piece it is. Solution? Trial and error + google.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Fox12 said:
Something Amyss said:
Fox12 said:
Microsoft is easily the most anti-consumer company out there.
Honestly, I suspect that's why said YouTube personality thinks Microsoft won.
Does totalbiscuit have a reputation for supporting anti-consumer practices? I haven't heard that before, since I don't really follow him.
no hes pretty pro consumer, as its stands MS is the least anti consumer and sony is the worst as MS eventually brings most of its stuff to PC and has better customer service in my experience.

OT: TB is right but that wont matter to people who cant look at things objectively or think MS burned them too much in the past.(which is usually a case of didn't do their due diligence as a consumer and got burned for it.)

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
deadish said:
Fhqwhgod said:
deadish said:
Amir Kondori said:
System updates are pretty much automatic ...

As for things breaking ...see this is the good thing about consoles. You have only 2 possible culprits, either your console is broke (then you blame Sony/Microsoft) or the game is bugged to hell (then you blame the game developer). Console broke? If still in warranty, bug the manufacturer for a replacement - else get a new one. Game broken ... flame the game developer on the internet I suppose.

PC? /sigh Could be the game being broken on your specific setup. Could be bugged drivers. Could be hardware going bad ... good luck figuring out which piece it is. Solution? Trial and error + google.
System updates are pretty much automatic? So are driver updates unless you turn that off just like you can on a console.

Problem with shit breaking on a console is that you can't fix it. If it's the dev's fault you might get something to flame but that doesnt mean it'll get fixed and you don't get to eat shit for the rest of that game's lifespan. It's the console? well send it in and don't have it for 4 weeks whilst we send it back to you maybe fixed or maybe still broken (see nintendo with wii's,microsoft with red rings, or playstation 3's with yellow lines)Not to mention being out of warranty = buy a new one rather than replace what's broken.

Game not running well on your setup? Turn down the settings if your hardware isnt powerfull enough. Something actually broken? look for a fix and fix it yourself and you will probably be able to fix it within a couple hours at worst.
Dev's break a game and decide not to fix it? Chances are an ambitious modder will take up the slack and provide the fixes to everybody else free of charge.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I'm sure it's been said in the thread a few times already, but no, TB didn't say MS "won" the show at all, so the thread title is just clickbait and/or simply inaccurate.

A more accurate thread title would be 'TB has nuanced and interesting perspective on E3 and the peculiar idea of 'winning' it'.

deadish said:
Yup, that's why I've always loved consoles - unless I decide to throw a brick at the thing or pour water on it, nothing is ever my fault and I have absolutely no way of solving the issue. In life avoidance of responsibility is a negative, but with gaming? It's an ideal - I don't want influence in the OS or the programs running, given I want gaming to be just like any other entertainment medium, i.e. effortless and with no real responsibility/input. I don't need to understand binding or font setting to enjoy a book, or tinker with equipment to enjoy a film at home.

Ardent PC gamers tend to cite freedom of choice and agency as objective positives, when they are not - they are subjective positives dependent on how someone wishes to consume media.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
jayzz911 said:
System updates are pretty much automatic? So are driver updates unless you turn that off just like you can on a console.

Problem with shit breaking on a console is that you can't fix it. If it's the dev's fault you might get something to flame but that doesnt mean it'll get fixed and you don't get to eat shit for the rest of that game's lifespan. It's the console? well send it in and don't have it for 4 weeks whilst we send it back to you maybe fixed or maybe still broken (see nintendo with wii's,microsoft with red rings, or playstation 3's with yellow lines)Not to mention being out of warranty = buy a new one rather than replace what's broken.

Game not running well on your setup? Turn down the settings if your hardware isnt powerfull enough. Something actually broken? look for a fix and fix it yourself and you will probably be able to fix it within a couple hours at worst.
Dev's break a game and decide not to fix it? Chances are an ambitious modder will take up the slack and provide the fixes to everybody else free of charge.
Sure they are "automatic" until the driver install somehow messes up. There is a reason tools like DDU exist you know. Please as I said, I game mostly on PC ... I know.

What makes you think people want to fix their consoles? You don't get it to you. Most people want a plug and play experience. None of the underhood tinkering. To them their console is no different from their car. If it's broken, they get someone else to look at it or just outright replace it.

Turn down settings on PC? Turn down what? Hairworks? By how much? AA? Which method? AF? What the fuck is that? I think you are overestimating how much people give a damn about all that tech stuff. They just want to play the game. Technology is a means to an end, one that they don't want to care about and would rather other people deal with it for them.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
deadish said:
Sure they are "automatic" until the driver install somehow messes up. There is a reason tools like DDU exist you know. Please as I said, I game mostly on PC ... I know.

What makes you think people want to fix their consoles? You don't get it to you. Most people want a plug and play experience. None of the underhood tinkering. To them their console is no different from their car. If it's broken, they get someone else to look at it or just outright replace it.

Turn down settings on PC? Turn down what? Hairworks? By how much? AA? Which method? AF? What the fuck is that? I think you are overestimating how much people give a damn about all that tech stuff. They just want to play the game. Technology is a means to an end, one that they don't want to care about and would rather other people deal with it for them.
Which drivers do you update to play games? As far as i can remember its mostly gpu (which is fully automatic unless you turn that off) and things like .net which comes bundled with the installers for a game. But you are right, DDU does exist for a reason. So you won't have to buy a new computer rather than just being able to uninstall drivers completely and fix it yourself.

What makes me think people want to fix their console? People wrapping their xbox360's in a towel to try and bend the motherboard to fix their own red ring. I get that the apple model (if it's broken buy a new one) is a great model for people with more money than sense but it doesnt work very well for people that can't afford to keep buying a new one when something breaks.

If spending a couple minutes getting your game to run smoother is too much for you, you could always use the low,medium,high,ultra presets. No reason to worry yourself if you don't want to. Other people have already dealt with it for you.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Whatislove said:
How is moving consoles into a cell phone release schedule pro-consumer?

TB is just getting further and further from a person who is actually reasonable. He only recently argued that the microtransactions in Overwatch were a good thing.

I don't know what hard drugs he has been taking lately but I've pretty much given up on him ever saying anything intelligent again.

His reasoning is just stupid. Microsoft's conference was about the furthest thing from pro-consumer I have ever seen. "Hey look guys, here is a new slightly upgraded console, probably the console that should have been initially released because there is so much empty space inside the original Xbox One that we definitely could have at least fit an internal power supply in there"

"And better yet, you can buy yet another new Xbox One next year! yeah! we are so pro-consumer!"

All Microsoft does is lie, mislead, and exaggerate. We all know how "Backwards compatibility" turned out. What a crock of shit. TB is a fucking moron. When I wasn't falling asleep watching MS's conference I was shaking my head and thinking what the fuck.
I just wish to point out that you haven't actually given as example of your argument. Microsoft has been anti consumer but then again so has every console maker at one point or another. TB's logic seems sound to me and while you might not agree. You've basically gone on a little rant here and actually haven't said anything.