TotalBiscuit's very strange behavior in this Vlog video....

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
Didn't see anything wrong with the video, his "WTF is" series has helped me find some great games, "Thomas was alone, Antichamber, etc) and his PSA's I find are helpful to. Dodged the Simcity bullet because of his videos. He's always been clear that he makes videos for views. That's the deal, he doesn't want a community springing up around his channel or to even be loved by his fans. He wants to make the videos that you want to watch, so that you watch them and he gets paid.

That suits me just fine, I watch his content that I like and I don't what he doesn't. So when he produces a bunch of expensive content that I don't want to watch like the PAX stuff, I don't mind giving him the feedback he's asking for in the vlog.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
It's pretty easy to tell who did watch the video and understand what it really was, which was very much an exercise in humility and gathering feedback from the audience, making sure I'm making the videos they want to watch and those that didn't and aren't even subscribed to the channel making a gigantic pile of assumptions based on the misleading OP and their established perception of what they think it is I do/am like.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
TotalBiscuit said:
It's pretty easy to tell who did watch the video and understand what it really was, which was very much an exercise in humility and gathering feedback from the audience, making sure I'm making the videos they want to watch and those that didn't and aren't even subscribed to the channel making a gigantic pile of assumptions based on the misleading OP and their established perception of what they think it is I do/am like.
You know TB. I'd really love for you to unblock me from your YT page... I mean, I can still see updates on your twitter but it'd be alot more convenient to see your updates on my subscription page.

Unless you can't be arsed to do that. In which case... nevermind then. Oh, and welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I watched the video before, and I didn't see any problems with it. Seems more like he was reaching for real feedback to see what viewers want, and/or if there's any problems with his coverage. I would've offered my own constructive feedback within the comments section.

But

You know.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
TotalBiscuit said:
You know TB. I'd really love for you to unblock me from your YT page... I mean, I can still see updates on your twitter but it'd be alot more convenient to see your updates on my subscription page.

Unless you can't be arsed to do that. In which case... nevermind then. Oh, and welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I watched the video before, and I didn't see any problems with it. Seems more like he was reaching for real feedback to see what viewers want, and/or if there's any problems with his coverage. I would've offered my own constructive feedback within the comments section.

But

You know.
Hmm? What username?

Tohuvabohu

Mar 24, 2011
TotalBiscuit said:
Hmm? What username?
Username: Titanium

It was during your great commentvote crusade shortly after your WTF is Omerta video. Sadly, I believe I was caught in the collateral damage of that event.

JerichoEscapes

Feb 10, 2010
Meh, I don't see the issue with that video. He seemed genuinely surprised by the lack of views. I wonder if this trend extends back to other convention trips, can't remember if he said so. In any case, only positive things can come from it.

I just hope he got whatever was in his system with that Bioshock video out.

Nimajqeb Beqjamin

Apr 9, 2013
TotalBiscuit said:
Hmm? What username?
I'd appreciate that too, if you'd be willing. Username idshanks. I try to follow your videos, but it's hard without being subscribed. I think I got blocked back on Azeroth daily, arguing with someone over WoW. >_>

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I don't get the controversy, he runs a business and if his investments don't make a return there's no reason why he shouldn't find out why. Really, while I've seen TB act a bit dick-ish in his comments sometimes I'm slightly impressed he first asked the viewers why they don't like the convention footage rather then just stopping it without notice.

billyd113

Apr 9, 2013
He needs this money for him and his family which is why if he doesn't get 100,000+ views, which is what he gets on his other videos, he doesn't want to waste money getting him, Zooc and Genna to an expo and not get that money back, he also spent $10,000 on equipment so he could get the best quality videos and sound as well.
I personally didn't find him aggressive in his video as he is quite often not the cheeriest of fellows i find(not in a bad way). Also if he just got back he's going be tired and not his usual self.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
Nimajqeb Beqjamin said:
TotalBiscuit said:
Hmm? What username?
I'd appreciate that too, if you'd be willing. Username idshanks. I try to follow your videos, but it's hard without being subscribed. I think I got blocked back on Azeroth daily, arguing with someone over WoW. >_>
Dealt with both of ya. If anyone else needs an amnesty let me know.

Weesiwel

Apr 9, 2013
Akalabeth said:
dennett316 said:
Akalabeth said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Never really understood Total Biscuit's appeal, or how he got so big in the first place. I mean, having seen his videos, he doesn't seem to offer any more or greater insight into gaming than your average Escapist user, his reviews don't tend to stand out all that much or seem to offer particular noteworthy critique... if he's complaining about not having hundreds of thousands of views, I'd respond by asking how did he get hundreds of thousands of views in the first place?
I watched him for a while to see gameplay from new and upcoming games which is often a good way to judge whether or not I would like it. Though at some point he became tiresome and I ceased watching him although that's fairly standard behaviour for me.

Some things about him sadden me, such as when I went to the Revelations 2012 forum on Steam and saw all the TB fanboys who'd never played the game basically trolling the forums. Which is not to say that it's his fault, but it's a symptom of his following and regardless of how allegedly shitty a game is it's not particularly fair to the developers.
Ahhh, more evidence of someone blaming the wrong person for the behaviour of others. You say that some things about HIM sadden you, and then go on to list the actions of a bunch of over-zealous fans of his that aren't him. You don't see the problem with what you just typed there?

It's all very well to not agree with his opinions, but to slam him for stuff he didn't personally do is more than a little stupid.
Has he ever condemned such behaviour? With power comes responsibility, and if your views are prompting people to behave in an irresponsible manner you should educate your viewers as to how this is not acceptable. So yes I'm sorry but he is in part to blame, not for the initial backlash against the developer, but for failing to hold people to account for it.
He condemns that kind of behavior all of the time. He hates people who follow his opinion blindly. He acknowledges he exaggerates a lot and often has a go at people that take everything he says as gospel. The point of his channel is to learn his likes and dislikes and then judge based on what he thinks and the problems with options menus etc if you would be willing to pay for the game and have fun with it.

He actually told his viewers to wait a couple of days after release to see how things are before buying things. I'd say that's quite responsible and as a viewer of any content he is right. Noway should you buy things day 1 unless you are gonna buy them regardless of anything.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Judgement101 said:
TB complains about his subscriber's over zealous fanboy-ism yet whines when his videos don't get enough views. I really cannot stand him anymore, I used to be a fan, I really did, until his crusade on FOV. I tried getting back into his videos with his The War Z video, but of course 5 minutes in he complains about the FOV. In all honesty, this is how he always acts.
The FOV crusade is a crusade worth crusading. It seemed as if his crusade-y-ness on the subject was what kicked 2K into gear to patch a slider into The Darkness 2. I wouldn't have been able to play it, otherwise.

Erian

Apr 9, 2013
Hey TB, seems you did not bring down Escapist... As a long time subscriber I have no interest in most of your convention footage. IMO WTFs, Content Patches and co-play stuff with folks like YOGsCast/Jesse are where it's at. As for reasons why.. I think it mostly has to do with the disinterest I have in hearing dev folks gush about their games.

I watch your channel to hear you talk about gaming stuff/the game you are playing. Thanks!

Tohuvabohu

Mar 24, 2011
TotalBiscuit said:
Nimajqeb Beqjamin said:
TotalBiscuit said:
Hmm? What username?
Dealt with both of ya. If anyone else needs an amnesty let me know.
Aaaand resubscribed! Thanks for the taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I enjoy TotalBiscuit, he is clearly a smart guy and while he is a bit of an elitist at time I do believe his videos are quite well informed. However I do see the problem people have with him, but really there is no reason to hate on TB for this video, he spent a lot of money to go to PAX and is not making a profit from it, it would be strange if he didn't make a video asking if people didn't like his convention stuff.

As for his rants in the comments; they aren't really something I care about. I watch the video because it entertains me, not for the person doing it. Unless he did something really bad like murder someone then I don't really care who the person behind the camera is. Heck at least he even responds to comments unlike other Youtubers like Egoraptor who claim that the comments on their channel are too stupid to take the time to read.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
His tone was disappointed, and I can see how some might take it the wrong way, if you listen to what he say's though he's perfectly reasonable.

BloodWriter said:
Where do you people find the time to watch all these stupidly long videos on YT talking about videogames? Is this like a new thing, taking criticism that could be summed up in 6-8 minutes drawn out to half an hour, or with the WTF is Bishock Infinite, a shocking hour and twenty minutes.

I'd rather spend that time playing games than listening to someone drone about games.
I spend 30+ hours a week playing games (and thats when i'm not on holiday), other than that I like to watch youtube channels like TB's. Other people watch TV, personally I find Youtube caters better to my interests.

Sparky184

Dec 23, 2010
Continuity said:
His tone was disappointed, and I can see how some might take it the wrong way, if you listen to what he say's though he's perfectly reasonable.
I'd probably say I spend more time watching people play games than actually playing games.