TotalBiscuit's very strange behavior in this Vlog video....

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
Mr Companion said:
On a relevant note, although not applicable to the OP who seems reasonable enough, I cant understand people who "HATE" TB.
I can't speak for others, but here's why I, perhaps not "hate", but certainly can't stand TB. I used to watch pretty much all of his videos and rarely ever commented on them. Once, someone posted a random tidbit of news about a game that TB had looked at; the poster didn't mention TB at all or suggest in any way that TB should have shared the news. TB responded by sarcastically dismissing him. Someone else asked why he was treating the guy like crap for no reason. TB's response was three words: "Grow up baby." This is the guy who constantly bemoans the lack of civility and intelligence in the YouTube comment section, by the way. Some other people asked why he was being a jerk and I commented that he regularly acts that way in the comments and on his Twitter. My comment got deleted and I was blocked.

On another Vlog he did, ironically about how content creators should respond to criticism, he suggested that creators respond to negative feedback with reasoning instead of just saying "sod off". I felt the need to point out how he has regularly done the virtual opposite of this advice (and created a second account so that I could actually post). He responded by dismissing me and stating that I obviously hadn't "listened to the video at all." When someone else replied that him blocking people is "pretty much the stupidest way I can imagine to 'deal' with criticism," TB stated "It is the smartest way to deal with people who are insulting you because they don't get to insult you anymore" and "Blocking is quite frankly the first tool you should resort to if someone is coming to your channel and insulting you. They clearly are not an actual viewer so their loss as a commenter is not important."

So in the comments about a video where TB discusses how to responsibly handle criticism, he equates all criticism of himself with insults and says that the "first tool" that everyone should use to respond is blocking. Not discourse, not debate, not even the reasoning that he championed in his video, just block them and declare yourself the winner. That's why I can't stand TB: he is an extreme narcissist, has despicable interpersonal skills, gives advice that he doesn't follow, and can't handle any form of criticism. He's a great content creator, but pretty much an unlikable person.

So that's why I ditched his channel and started watching Northernlion, who is both a great content creator and a great person. : )

molly31

Mar 18, 2013
He openly explained what was required to get the content. Listing financial reasons, like flying a guy to PAX, getting direct feed, etc. He then shared his thoughts saying he wouldn't be able to continue doing this obviously if it was losing his money (which he said it was)

We have an amazing example of how a content creator is sharing his mind and telling us straight up why he may not be covering these events in the future. Allowing US to influence whether he does or not. Yet, what people seem to be taking away is that someone who is known for being...snarky...is too visibly upset for spending additional (unnecessary) money trying to get us the best quality when it appears it's not what people want.

He's being open and honest on why this kind of footage may stop. He's allowing us to influence his decision i.e. by giving us another (unnecessary) chance.

I just can't see why his openness and honesty is considered bad and evil, or are you all so used to being lied to that this kind of truth makes you uncomfortable?

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
dennett316 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Erm...bit of a whiny git, isn't he?
How so? By asking for honest feedback when he sees views drop drastically? I don't think that's whiny, it's pretty smart actually considering the money he laid out to go to PAX.
Asking for feedback is one thing - obsessively listing how many views all the other videos got is another. It's perfectly reasonable to say "Hey, doesn't look like you guys enjoyed that, so what *would* you like?" but that's not his approach at all.
Wow.

"Obsessively listing."

Susan, I feel like I understand that your personality is highly infused with hyperbole, but it also seems to me that you mean this literally...so I am both disappointed and slightly saddened at this time.

I would posit that (in your example) TotalBiscuit was listing his views to include hard numbers to validate the basis for his video's purpose. Speaking for myself, I strongly desire such information in any kind of debate/discussion/argument, and go out of my way to include such information myself. I like to "cite my sources," as it were, whether it's a scholarly resource, or simply Wikipedia.

I would also posit, from a much weaker position, that you did not read all of the comments in "your" own forum, before your first post with the "whiny git" insult, having simply read the OP and watched some (if not all) of the linked video. A lot of your readers had posted opinions contrary to the OP, and by association yours. Not that there is anything wrong with having a different opinion as a reasonable individual. Again, as I have no factual basis for this argument, I must emphasize that it is only an vague impression I formed at first blush.

I was going to make a snide comment along the lines of "So, is this the official position of escapistmagazine.com?" but I decided against it...

Instead, I will just say:

It's perfectly reasonable to say "Hey, I wouldn't have expressed myself in quite the same way as he did in this one specific video," but that wasn't your approach at all.

Depressed now.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
dennett316 said:
Susan Arendt said:
How so? By asking for honest feedback when he sees views drop drastically? I don't think that's whiny, it's pretty smart actually considering the money he laid out to go to PAX.
Asking for feedback is one thing - obsessively listing how many views all the other videos got is another. It's perfectly reasonable to say "Hey, doesn't look like you guys enjoyed that, so what *would* you like?" but that's not his approach at all.
Comprehension is apparently an issue with you, which could be problematic in your particular line of work.

Giving numbers and comparisons is what I like to call giving context and proof. It takes some fairly interesting leaps to somehow equate that to being "obsessed with numbers".

But then, you opened up your argument by calling someone "whiny", so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. I'll refrain from insulting your content, no need to hit back just because someone else who should know better took the first swing aye?

invadergir

May 29, 2008
TotalBiscuit said:
BloodWriter said:
Where do you people find the time to watch all these stupidly long videos on YT talking about videogames? Is this like a new thing, taking criticism that could be summed up in 6-8 minutes drawn out to half an hour, or with the WTF is Bishock Infinite, a shocking hour and twenty minutes.

I'd rather spend that time playing games than listening to someone drone about games.
No, criticism cannot be summed up in 6-8 minutes, which is exactly why the reviews of Bioshock were poor and skipped over all sorts of extremely important and valid criticism. It is much quicker to praise a game than criticize it and explain why.

It is also the reason that traditional shorter reviews are falling behind in terms of viewers and being replaced by longer-form content such as Angry Joes reviews and my WTF is? series.
The first 30-40 minutes was you repeating that the combat system wasn't very good over and over. That really could have been stated far more concisely. And I agree with your criticism on the game-play issues. It's just I would have been hammered if I played the "combat system is not very good" drinking game.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
invadergir said:
TotalBiscuit said:
BloodWriter said:
Where do you people find the time to watch all these stupidly long videos on YT talking about videogames? Is this like a new thing, taking criticism that could be summed up in 6-8 minutes drawn out to half an hour, or with the WTF is Bishock Infinite, a shocking hour and twenty minutes.

I'd rather spend that time playing games than listening to someone drone about games.
No, criticism cannot be summed up in 6-8 minutes, which is exactly why the reviews of Bioshock were poor and skipped over all sorts of extremely important and valid criticism. It is much quicker to praise a game than criticize it and explain why.

It is also the reason that traditional shorter reviews are falling behind in terms of viewers and being replaced by longer-form content such as Angry Joes reviews and my WTF is? series.
The first 30-40 minutes was you repeating that the combat system wasn't very good over and over. That really could have been stated far more concisely. And I agree with your criticism on the game-play issues. It's just I would have been hammered if I played the "combat system is not very good" drinking game.
Sorry, that's what we call detail and explaining why you believe a particular point. Justifying your opinion, presenting evidence an art lost on most and disturbingly, also within the gaming press for some reason. It's a shame when brevity gets in the way of giving people proper information.

invadergir

May 29, 2008
TotalBiscuit said:
invadergir said:
TotalBiscuit said:
BloodWriter said:

Sorry, that's what we call detail and explaining why you believe a particular point. Justifying your opinion, presenting evidence an art lost on most and disturbingly, also within the gaming press for some reason. It's a shame when brevity gets in the way of giving people proper information.
You did detail the problems. It's just repeated over and over. "The combat system is not very good" must have been said at least a dozen times.

And Brevity is the soul of wit ;)

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
invadergir said:
Wit is not a priority, this is not a comedy show.

I can't speak for others, but here's why I, perhaps not "hate", but certainly can't stand TB. I used to watch pretty much all of his videos and rarely ever commented on them. Once, someone posted a random tidbit of news about a game that TB had looked at; the poster didn't mention TB at all or suggest in any way that TB should have shared the news. TB responded by sarcastically dismissing him. Someone else asked why he was treating the guy like crap for no reason. TB's response was three words: "Grow up baby." This is the guy who constantly bemoans the lack of civility and intelligence in the YouTube comment section, by the way. Some other people asked why he was being a jerk and I commented that he regularly acts that way in the comments and on his Twitter. My comment got deleted and I was blocked.

On another Vlog he did, ironically about how content creators should respond to criticism, he suggested that creators respond to negative feedback with reasoning instead of just saying "sod off". I felt the need to point out how he has regularly done the virtual opposite of this advice (and created a second account so that I could actually post). He responded by dismissing me and stating that I obviously hadn't "listened to the video at all." When someone else replied that him blocking people is "pretty much the stupidest way I can imagine to 'deal' with criticism," TB stated "It is the smartest way to deal with people who are insulting you because they don't get to insult you anymore" and "Blocking is quite frankly the first tool you should resort to if someone is coming to your channel and insulting you. They clearly are not an actual viewer so their loss as a commenter is not important."

So in the comments about a video where TB discusses how to responsibly handle criticism, he equates all criticism of himself with insults and says that the "first tool" that everyone should use to respond is blocking. Not discourse, not debate, not even the reasoning that he championed in his video, just block them and declare yourself the winner. That's why I can't stand TB: he is an extreme narcissist, has despicable interpersonal skills, gives advice that he doesn't follow, and can't handle any form of criticism. He's a great content creator, but pretty much an unlikable person.

So that's why I ditched his channel and started watching Northernlion, who is both a great content creator and a great person. : )
Time to critique the critic.

Well the first part probably didn't happen, but hey, whatever. You'd think if it stuck in your mind so much you'd have an actual quote.

In regards to that VLOG on criticism, hey guess you really didn't listen to the video at all. I never suggested that you respond to "negative feedback" with reasoning, I suggested you criticise the criticism to see if it holds any water. If your criticism isn't constructive in any respect then it's nothing but a flame. Yeah, blocking is the best way to handle people like that. If I don't want to hear your bullshit, I have an ability to stop you from posting it, which is good for the audience since you don't rile them up either and start unnecessary arguments.

Logical disconnect in your next paragraph where you claim that "he equates all criticism of himself with insults", nope. I equate insults with insults. Unconstructive negative criticism is an insult, that's kinda the point. If it's unconstructive you did not deliver it with good intentions, you delivered it with the sole purpose of insulting the person in question. If you're suggesting you "reason" with people like that then I'd invite you to spend a week in my shoes and see how you feel by the end of it. Being shouted at by thousands of people a day on the internet will burn away your good intentions faster than an acid bath. "Declaring yourself the winner" is irrelevant, there is no contest, the end goal of blocking someone is to stop them from communicating with you, which is about as offensive as not picking up the phone when someone is trying to sell you kitchenware you don't want. Some people are extremely easily offended, I guess they got it into their heads that the internet is a very democratic place and that their voice has the right to be heard. Not on private discussion forums it doesn't.

The rest of it, well that's just a big bunch of insults. Yeah, I'm so narcissistic, the constant criticism I publicly level at myself and repeated self-deprecation of my abilities and appearance obviously indicate that. If you want to psycho-analyze me over the internet at least let me get comfortable on the couch first. As for Northernlion, it's amusing to hear you mention it. We both have extremely similar attitude and have been good friends for a while. We adore to ***** about the same kind of people all the time, he has simply taken a policy of ignoring the comments rather than tackling them. Smart guy, saves time, but it also demonstrates just how easy it is to colour the perception of your average Youtube user. The "haven" you ran to to get away from my unpleasantness is run by a guy who is the Canadian me.

Fun times, nice to critique the criticism, it's cathartic, you should try it.

invadergir

May 29, 2008
TotalBiscuit said:
invadergir said:
A few reviewers changed their score after they finished the game as most had only completed about 6 hours at the time. Have you completed the game? And if so, would it change the frame of your review?

I noticed that reviews of people who hadn't finished the game focused more on the middling combat system. I personally found the combat boring but I can't help but continue to think and write about a game I finished over a week ago.

TotalBiscuit

Mar 28, 2009
invadergir said:
TotalBiscuit said:
invadergir said:
A few reviewers changed their score after they finished the game as most had only completed about 6 hours at the time. Have you completed the game? And if so, would it change the frame of your review?

I noticed that reviews of people who hadn't finished the game focused more on the middling combat system. I personally found the combat boring but I can't help but continue to think and write about a game I finished over a week ago.
I finished the game today and completed a final impressions video. My opinion of it has gotten worse and after the "wonderful" boss fights (you know the ones I'm talking about" and repeated encounters with Handy-men and long, pointless sections of ultra-violence I now dislike the game more than I did in the initial video. On a side note if you score a game having not finished it you are dreadful at your job and should be fired.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Mr Companion said:
He just wanted feedback to know what to do with his channel, he sounds a little anxious but not aggressive.

On a relevant note, although not applicable to the OP who seems reasonable enough, I cant understand people who "HATE" TB. I mean, I can see why somebody could dislike or be apathetic towards him but otherwise loathing his very being always perplexed me. He just delivers reasonably high quality inoffensive gaming content on a semi-regular basis without asserting many haughty world views. This isn't the first forum I have seen on the escapist criticizing him for perceived vocal tones indicating some massive superiority complex. Its like if TB says something slightly indicating stress or controversial sympathies people lose their s**t. This forum is by far the most level headed and even then many of the comments are people nodding their heads meaningfully talking about what an explotative egotist he is. He just makes youtube videos for a living to support his hobby and family.
Thats the internet I guess, people who never felt the cloying embrace of suffering intended to put their short, meaningless lives into perspective all crying about every single thing they dislike with all the dignity of a wailing baby prince.

No offense OP I dont mean you. Also what does OP even stand for?
I think OP stand for "Opening Post".....I think....

I just realised my Thread become somehow "popular" because of the views it had.......and even TB came here to tell his opinion......oh my.

As I said to my first post, I just overeacted with this specific Vlog.

I understand that he need many views to be able to continue to make videos and get more money.
I also understand that he gave many money to be able to get at PAX and get new tools for the specific event.
Finally I know by asking for a feedback from the viewers is a very good thing, so TB can see what kind of videos must make in the future [I personally watched some videos from PAX].

However, and this is only apply to me, I didn't liked the way he said his problems. I know that we must see his videos to make more money, I just didn't find it very "normal" the way he asked us to watch more videos for him.
I think the better word to describe it with one word is he was "cold" with us.......

But as I said, this is just me and I am sorry to get overeacted for this Vlog.

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
TotalBiscuit said:
I'm not going to have this same argument with you again. That's the primary reason I left your channel. I'll just say one thing: I never assumed that your job is easy and I'm sure you have to deal with a lot of crappy people, but you have shown a consistent tendency to lump together anyone who says anything negative about you with the people who just post random hatred/trollbait. I tried to tell you that respectfully in the comments for the criticism vlog, for which I was castrated by your fans and dismissed by you.

And since I've now watched this dang video 4-5 times and you continue to insist that I haven't listened to it, this is the statement of yours that I am referring to: "You need to deal with the fact that the creator is probably going to respond with, 'Well I don't agree with this because of this, this, and this' and if he tells you why instead of just telling you to 'Sod off,' then that's something you then have to deal with and that's where the discussion starts going and that's when really good information starts to come out because if your opinion is challenged, then naturally you feel the need to respond and you feel the need to defend your opinion and the only way to defend your opinion is to provide evidence, logic, and reasoning to indicate as to why you believe something."

Now go ahead and tell me that you never respond to valid criticism with a dismissive, insulting comment like "sod off." I'd think you'd find a lot of your critics could provide you with evidence, logic, and reasoning if you didn't derail things at the get-go by claiming they didn't listen to the video *cough*, calling them childish names, or just flat-out blocking them.

And as for the first part that I apparently made up, well it actually serves as a good example of my point (by the way, thanks for again trying to dismiss everything I say out of hand by just suggesting that I'm a liar; it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside). This was posted in response to your Content Patch #18 regarding the Humble Amnesia Fortnight. Keeping in mind that my contribution to the discussion was erased with my being blocked, I'll post the actual quote (since it's stuck in my mind and all) here in spoiler tags. Also my apologies, he did mention you (though not in a negative way) and your response was "Man up baby," not "Grow up baby."

Karl Ramstedt
TB, you missed that they changed the amount of prototypes to 5 from 4. That means that Black Lake is also being made!

TotalHalibut
I am not a time traveller

MrPlayerofgames
Where's the need man? That guy was just trying to be nice and you replied like a major douche...

TotalHalibut
Man up baby

ti1tus
Why are you so hostile? You don't usually seem like somebody who answers helpful comments like that.

Mjolnir258
For all his talk of wanting the comment section to be a cool place, his own commenting leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't know any better i'd think there's some dude with a similar name trolling to his hearts content.

TotalHalibut
The comment section would be a cooler place if people stopped getting offended at EVERYTHING I SAY.
This happens everywhere, it's the root of ALL drama. It's why the WoW forums sucked, it's why the comments section sucks, a bunch of prissy easily-offended bleedinghearts derail EVERY discussion because they find something to take offense to and once that happens, GG, discussion is over.
Why the fuck would you sub to this channel if you couldn't deal with sarcasm and cynicism aye? I wonder

inferno232
You have a point if they're getting offended at, say, the fact you think their favorite video game sucks. Yeah, that's stupid as hell and those people don't really matter. But when you treat a guy like a dick because he's trying to point a simple bit of news out (he didn't say, "CHANGE YOUR VIDEO TB"), it makes sense that the guy's a bit surprised and upset.
It's the difference between throwing a fit over an opinion and being upset one of your favorite content creators decided to flip you off.

TotalHalibut
Nobody treated him like a dick, NOBODY.
Fucking reality man, such a ***** when trying to get upset over nothing, but I guess ignoring it is a way around tht.

That's four different viewers (and many more not included) offering you some valid criticism about how you treat people. I don't think that I'm going out on a limb when I indicate that you didn't handle the criticism quite like you suggested in your vlog.

In regards to NL, I'm glad that you two are friends and I know for a fact that you can be a cool dude around people you like; you were downright charming at the PAX East panel. The difference between you two is while you jump right into the negative spiral of the comment section or Twitter and go on insult/block binges, he'll reply kindly to commenters and try to nudge inane comment arguments back towards a discussion of the video. The difference between you isn't in who you are or how you act in private, it's how you handle negative influences.

Ok, I lied. I've said far more than one thing, but I get verbose when I get peeved. Incidentally, sorry OP for letting my personal gripes derail this thread to a degree.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
TotalBiscuit said:
Susan Arendt said:
dennett316 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Comprehension is apparently an issue with you, which could be problematic in your particular line of work.

Giving numbers and comparisons is what I like to call giving context and proof. It takes some fairly interesting leaps to somehow equate that to being "obsessed with numbers".

But then, you opened up your argument by calling someone "whiny", so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. I'll refrain from insulting your content, no need to hit back just because someone else who should know better took the first swing aye?
Yea, insulting other forum-users is against the codes of conduct, the first couple of lines I've seen people on RnP recieve a warning for in the past. I suggest you edit your post to follow the rules incase you do not wish a warning.

As for you blocking regular commenters on your video's aswell as calling out random posts just to insult them, it inclines me to agree with Susan on this one. It does seem a bit... Off.

I for one do not watch your video's, but watching the post above certainly does not inspire me to do so in the future.

invadergir

May 29, 2008
TotalBiscuit said:
invadergir said:

Time to critique the critic.

Well the first part probably didn't happen, but hey, whatever. You'd think if it stuck in your mind so much you'd have an actual quote.

In regards to that VLOG on criticism, hey guess you really didn't listen to the video at all. I never suggested that you respond to "negative feedback" with reasoning, I suggested you criticise the criticism to see if it holds any water. If your criticism isn't constructive in any respect then it's nothing but a flame. Yeah, blocking is the best way to handle people like that. If I don't want to hear your bullshit, I have an ability to stop you from posting it, which is good for the audience since you don't rile them up either and start unnecessary arguments.

Logical disconnect in your next paragraph where you claim that "he equates all criticism of himself with insults", nope. I equate insults with insults. Unconstructive negative criticism is an insult, that's kinda the point. If it's unconstructive you did not deliver it with good intentions, you delivered it with the sole purpose of insulting the person in question. If you're suggesting you "reason" with people like that then I'd invite you to spend a week in my shoes and see how you feel by the end of it. Being shouted at by thousands of people a day on the internet will burn away your good intentions faster than an acid bath. "Declaring yourself the winner" is irrelevant, there is no contest, the end goal of blocking someone is to stop them from communicating with you, which is about as offensive as not picking up the phone when someone is trying to sell you kitchenware you don't want. Some people are extremely easily offended, I guess they got it into their heads that the internet is a very democratic place and that their voice has the right to be heard. Not on private discussion forums it doesn't.

The rest of it, well that's just a big bunch of insults. Yeah, I'm so narcissistic, the constant criticism I publicly level at myself and repeated self-deprecation of my abilities and appearance obviously indicate that. If you want to psycho-analyze me over the internet at least let me get comfortable on the couch first. As for Northernlion, it's amusing to hear you mention it. We both have extremely similar attitude and have been good friends for a while. We adore to ***** about the same kind of people all the time, he has simply taken a policy of ignoring the comments rather than tackling them. Smart guy, saves time, but it also demonstrates just how easy it is to colour the perception of your average Youtube user. The "haven" you ran to to get away from my unpleasantness is run by a guy who is the Canadian me.

Fun times, nice to critique the criticism, it's cathartic, you should try it.
Honestly, you can see why people don't think you are being sincere about wanting honest feedback? There is the you that doesn't deal with criticism very well (as seen in this thread), and there's the you that you claim to be. Personally, I'm going to go with the narcissist who doesn't care about his fans and just sees them as potential revenue.

And you criticize Susan who actually contributes to the gaming discourse while your content is basically a lets-play with opinion tacked on. Some people have deadlines and editors breathing down their necks while you put out a review that was old two weeks ago and dare to question others journalistic integrity.

There is a difference between being trend-setting and being contrarian. Good job, you painted Bioshock Infinite as "not counter-strike". Pick up your medal at bro-gamer central where most of your fans dwell.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
TB has a tendency to act fairly immaturely, getting upset over perceived criticism and frequently diving into the comments section to insult everyone who asks him to do a let's play. People always defend if religiously, regardless of what he does.

But at least he's started expressing original opinions. He used to be all "COD sucks" and that's how it got most of his followers.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, at this rate TB's gonna get himself banned.
To we get some sort of trophy? I'd like to have a universal trophy for everyone.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Channel needs money to function he have every right to question what happened and get feedback from audience.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Wow, at this rate TB's gonna get himself banned.
To we get some sort of trophy? I'd like to have a universal trophy for everyone.
I feel guilty for saying this, but because of this Threead of mine, I get the "On Fire" Trophy........

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
No, that's not weird behavior.
This stuff is his bread and butter, ofcourse he's going to want to know why something did so horrible.

Could be a few reasons for that.

For one, it's spring break in the US.
For two, his channel is huge, the audience for relatively "small" games such as the ones featured on those convention videos is just a lot smaller.
If there isn't much hype for a game, don't expect to get insane views on it.

Dec 14, 2009
TopazFusion said:
SweetShark said:
I feel guilty for saying this, but because of this Threead of mine, I get the "On Fire" Trophy........
Looks like everyone's after views these days. =P
Says Mr First One to 1000th Post Wins.

OT: Well, this thread turned out civil, with no personal insults thrown around.

Wait, that's not what happened at all. Good show people, good show.