Trailers: BioShock Infinite Gameplay

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
That's is the best use of Steampunk EVER! I am bring some of that tech into the RPG's I play

Also, is it just me or is the voice actor of the main character the same guy who did Garthet's voice in Theif?

-M

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
That armoured horse was scary. That may be because I had a bad experience with horse armour on Oblivion (zing!). But seriously, the atmosphere here was great and it reminded me why I liked BS1 so much. Regardless of how heavily this was scripted, it had my heart racing and I can't wait to play the final game. When that winged big daddy came along at the end, I nearly crapped and jizzed in my pants simultaneously.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Vzzdak said:
Calendor1 said:
signingupforgames said:
I'm officially excited for Bioshock 2.
Okay, seriously? Why all the hate for Bioshock 2? It was a great game. The devs for Infinite don't even really consider this a sequel, if anything its a prequel that probably has nothing to do with the other games. I really don't get why people have such a huge problem with Bioshock 2, except people might get tired of the adam gathering sessions, but whatever.
At the completion of Bioshock 1, the story was resolved adequately. Some people dislike retconning or reversing a previous resolution for the sake of milking the original concept.

In comparison, this tech demo appears to involve a dramatic shift in where the story is placed, and introduces interesting new gameplay mechanics.
that never happend in bioshock 2 the story was completly seperate from Jack they did that to specifically avoid retconning and the fact that Jacks story was resolved andf creativly Jordan wanted to tell a different kind of story the continuation of rapture not a continuation of Jacks story

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
DanielSPG said:
Nieroshai said:
1. This. Looks. Epic.
2. Where does THIS fit in the continuity? Is this a sequel? A prequel? If a sequel, does that mean Bioshock's evil ending is canon? If this is a prequel, then HOW?! Is this only called Bioshock because of the plasmids and steampunk tech, and it takes place in an entirely different reality?
3. I hope this will be for PS3.
timeline wise, i suspect "Elizabeth" used to be a lil sister.. nuf said (ofcourse, cant be sure but the dress is dead giveaway, then again, u would expect a girl to develop taste over the years and not just buy the same dress in bigger sizes (and more cleavage shown) as she grows up, but hey

It's not supposed to be a direct continuity, they considered the cornerstone of bioshock to be a tale told in the context of history not being limited to any solid time or place

DanielSPG

Nov 10, 2009
jamesworkshop said:
DanielSPG said:
Nieroshai said:
1. This. Looks. Epic.
2. Where does THIS fit in the continuity? Is this a sequel? A prequel? If a sequel, does that mean Bioshock's evil ending is canon? If this is a prequel, then HOW?! Is this only called Bioshock because of the plasmids and steampunk tech, and it takes place in an entirely different reality?
3. I hope this will be for PS3.
timeline wise, i suspect "Elizabeth" used to be a lil sister.. nuf said (ofcourse, cant be sure but the dress is dead giveaway, then again, u would expect a girl to develop taste over the years and not just buy the same dress in bigger sizes (and more cleavage shown) as she grows up, but hey

It's not supposed to be a direct continuity, they considered the cornerstone of bioshock to be a tale told in the context of history not being limited to any solid time or place
Yes after reading several previous posts about the subject, I stand corrected.. still... that dress...

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
First off: blasted yokels, them NPCs.

However, based on what little you've been shown of the main character and his (apparent love interest/whichever...), partner-in-crime, I might enjoy this Bioshock more than the original- simply because the character is more than just corny catchphrases, or generic Space Marine. Sure, he seems to be a bit corny, but at least the lines makes sense.

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
Steam-punk, sky-cities, zip-lines, and telekinetic fun. Add in the name Bioshock and it's starting to look like I'll buy this the first chance I get.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Yeah, saw it a few days ago. Trailers and teasers very rarely blow my mind, but this one is SO GOOD. I mean, it looks less scripted and more like machinima.

Plus, the whole Infinite setting and theme is amazing. It looks more like a spiritual successor to Bioshock than a sequel, though, just like the System Shock -> Bioshock thing. Maybe Aeroshock. But, okay, they're aiming for brand recognition with the title, I can understand that.

EDIT: Oh, right, anyone know why they're moving like it's a Pixar cartoon? I kinda like it, it's perky and easily animated, and I wouldn't mind mildly deformed characters if it fits the theme.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
a city built atop a series of hoot-air balloons? Sounds almost as retarded as building a bubble city at the bottom of the sea

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Woodsey said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm sorry but I still don't buy this being "actual" gameplay.

Everything feels way to scripted.
Journalists were shown the same demo but it was played through slower in this video - that's according to the guy who presented this week's Feedback on X-Play.

It's obviously reheArsed and scripted in a number of places, but it's still being played.
I'm still not convinced.

I'm sure that it's using the ingame engine (mostly) and that some of the gameplay mechanics it shows will be in the finished product. But I just feel there's something screwy about the way the camera moves; a little too loose and hazy. Aswell as other things.

Honestly, I think this is just a concept cinematic to give the producers and such an idea of what the developers are going for: Show them the overall look, graphics and gameplay they can expect from the finished game.
The bits where the camera is floaty look like pseudo-cutscenes to me. It's hard to tell, but I see where you're coming from.

TrueEvilDude

Sep 24, 2010
solidstatemind said:
I KNOW THAT VOICE! It's Garrett! I don't know why, but that makes me very happy.

And this looks to be amazing: even if that did have the feel of a scripted sequence, if they can come anywhere close to that, it could be one of the all-time great games. (I particularly liked the banter. I'm getting tired of the whole 'voiceless protagonist' shtick that everyone seems to be doing these days.)

My god Im glad I wasnt the only one thinking that. When I saw the opening with those big grining faces I thought I was watching a thief mission movie, and then when I heard the voice! OMG! So cool! The opening shot must have been a nod to Thief!

Yay!

polarizebeta

Feb 3, 2010
I actually have neither. I have been playing Socom 2 on the PS 2 for years now and it still doesn't get boring. Same with katamari and KH2

Drentics

Apr 3, 2010
A non-shit Bioshock sequel? Hell. Yes.

I mean, the second one was fun, sure. But returning to Rapture was just a stale idea.

The setting looks freaking amazing. I really hope the rest of the game is as well.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Man, this is some heavy stuff going on in this one. Isolationist notions, and fascism it looks like. The combination of Washington and Moses (stone tablets anyone?) as well as the use of the word Anarchist in a strong pejorative context...

While Bioshock 1 detailed a society that is a Randian Utopia, this is more... Orwellian?

Either way, I'm extremely intrigued by both the setting and the glimpses of story we get. Bioshock had a good idea with putting the game under the water, to give you a constant sense of peril. But floating in the sky is MUCH better, since it lets the player more fully interact with that ever present doom.