Trailers: BioShock Infinite Gameplay

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
For once, I am anticipating this game. I'm usually in the Yahtzee camp of "assume it will be shit" but this game intrigues me. It looks like it'll be an good change from the underwater city of Rapture.

I'm prone to vertigo, so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy this game. I don't like platformers for a similar reason. Death by falling just kind of confirms my irrational fears. That said, the directions they're taking this game seem interesting.

While the star of Bioshock games have always been the environment, and this looks like a winner, here they're adding dialog and characterization. I'm not sure how well that will work. Jack was a blank slate the player could project whatever they wanted upon, or nothing at all. Booker DeWitt does have a voice for more than the occasional scream and grunt that allows him to trade verbal jabs with other characters, primarily Elizabeth, the Princess Peach of this game. Yet another princess in need of rescue.

However, they're trying to make Elizabeth more than a goal with cleavage. She's able to help DeWitt with her powers as well as trade dialog/provide exposition. So she'll be a sidekick who'll probably need to be re-rescued from time to time. Also her powers seem to take a lot out of her. This will probably end with a heroic sacrifice on her part. I hope my powers of clairvoyance didn't spoil it for you. If they do this right, this could go down as one of the great video characters/relationship. If not, it will be just yet another failed attempt at that. But the trailer shows that are reaching for that brass ring, so kudos to them for trying, at least.

The environment deserves re-mentioning. What I liked about Bioshock was that the city of Rapture felt like a credible metropolis even though it was just a series of video game levels. It was an illusion that this was, in fact, a living, breathing city (now in ruins) that elevated Bioshock to the top of my game shelf.

Bioshock Infinite appears to be doing the same with the flying city of Columbia only moreso. They appear to have people wandering about utterly ignoring DeWitt as people in a city might do, giving a greater impression that they have lives. The Splicers in Rapture seemed to have nothing better to do except wait for Jack to show up and shoot them in the head from behind. This might not effect the game as much as it seems, but if all the citizens of Columbia are not instantly hostile, this will enhance the feel of the game.

My previously-mentioned powers of clairvoyance also predict there will be some controversy over the nature of Columbia. Wikipedia says it's steeped in jingoism and racism. Overheard dialog referred to "coloreds" which have been missing from Bioshock games now that I think of it. Probably because they're too smart to get involved in a utopia that fails because it is founded upon flawed political ideals. in any case, I predict some will make a mountain out of this molehill with certain terms being thrown about by game characters, completely ignoring that it's mostly the bad guys using such terminology. But hot button topics do nothing if not create controversy where none needs to exist.

As for the gameplay itself, this is difficult to judge. Early in the first Bioshock, the interactivity was greatly reduced to good effect. It slowly built up as you played the game. The clip may be early in the game, but it can't be too early as Elizabeth recognizes DeWitt. So what we may be seeing here is mostly "interactive cinematics" sort of like in Half-Life where characters converse while the player is free to run around the room, jumping on the furniture like a monkey until the dialog reaches a point where the player needs to approach a character and press a button. The video may be part this, part actual gameplay but the person playing knows where to go and what to look at, so they made it look too good to be real gameplay. But it's hard to tell without playing it myself.

Overall, i am anticipating this game more than any other. It's worse for me because my computer could barely run the first Bioshock, so I'll need an upgrade before even trying to play this one.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
what the fuck was that?
just ran like some kind of retarded dream sequence, isn't the whole point of Bioshock that its set in the real world? just looks to me like another unnecessary and over the top pr/sequel..
the whole world looks implausibly stupid and contrived, I can't see myself ever enjoying playing a game like that.

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
just ran like some kind of retarded dream sequence, isn't the whole point of Bioshock that its set in the real world? just looks to me like another unnecessary and over the top pr/sequel..
the whole world looks implausibly stupid and contrived, I can't see myself ever enjoying playing a game like that.
*sigh*

TarkXT

Sep 7, 2009
Withard said:
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
*sigh*
To elaborate my soft spoken friend here you seem to think that unless a game is "gritty" and "real" it cannot possibly equate to "fun". That of course is merely a matter of opinion to which you are entitled. However I think the real stickler is that your applying the word "realism" to the words "Bioshock" a reference to a game wherein the protagonist travels to an underwater city filled to the brim with strange creatures and super powered beings wielding vast and terrible weapons, crazy experiments and following political ideals to their hugest extreme.

In any case I'm loving this. It harkens to days of pulp action. If it weren't for the early 1900's setting Nazi's would not be out of place here.

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
Well...
I am now genuinely interested.
I'm happy to take up the Raven Flock as an alternative to the Insect Swarm anyday.
Also, that robotic horse and carriage is annoyingly loud... but still...
Nice how they've replaced needles with stuff you just drink.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Withard said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Well they up'd the spectacle I see. . . Wonder how well the mechanics are done this time around the last 2 games are a joke, watered down and half assed......

Its not bad that they are making the series a basic steampunk FPS but I want better an deeper mechanics and AI not another half assed corridor shooter.....
Give it 10 years. Maybe they will bring out a game for you.

In other words YES this looks fantastic and some of the robotic enemies actually look terrifying...I blame it on the tash tho.
I'll be 40 something then and probly looking for harder and better designed mechanics, while the rest of the industry has went in the direct of the WII only less hard content, less content in most games and alot more loose waggle in their interface/control. :p

Chainsauce

Aug 14, 2010
Well that's mostly simulated gameplay. Yet the concept is still very intriguing. Hopefully those lines you can grapple to point at it being set in an open world.

Nofootcanman

Aug 5, 2010
disapointed that he has a voice and a partner now but hopefully there will be no vita chambers as the whole you cant die thing kind of ruined the atmosphere of the 2 bioshocks

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Nofootcanman said:
disapointed that he has a voice and a partner now but hopefully there will be no vita chambers as the whole you cant die thing kind of ruined the atmosphere of the 2 bioshocks
Well its either a save point or vita chamber, I hope they something more interesting but most likely it will be something overly simplified as so to not offend the drooling masses...

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
Looks pretty cool. I like the setting design. As for the rest, it's more like an early-20th century reimagining of the paranoid fantasies of the current American left (including their delusional, desparate attacks on the "Tea Partiers"), mixed with a healthy dose of Howard Zinn's faux history.

All of those being very very tired themes (V for Vendetta, etc. I'm guessing there's a lot of intellectual stagnation in the "creative" classes.) aside, it'll probably be good and pretty enough for me to try.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
I like it, but I really want that Bioshock Infinite is a prequel. Imagine the shock if the game end cutscene is Andrew Ryan saying:" I´m starting to lose faith in mankind", then, we holds that little diver´s suit that appears in the aquarium of the game´s trailer, and say:"maybe..."

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
maturin said:
Not at all. Orwell's world would never have political tumult or mobs in the street.
Orwellian superstates also wouldn't allow weaponry in the general popluace. That's usually the first action totalitarian countries take.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Hmmm. Let's see.

Removal of the life bar and application of the "death by blood spatter" mechanic? Check, although it does make me wonder how tonics are going to be treated as far as recharging goes.

Actual interaction with NPCs beyond "Go here and come back when you're done." and "There he is!"? Check.

Character portrayal of the protaganist instead of a grunting pair of hands? Check with reservations (let's see how repetitive everything gets as things progress).

Blurring of the line between cut-scene and actual gameplay? Double check.

Total reinvention of franchise? Check and mate.

Yep. I do conclude that this will be a very enjoyable bit of violent, chaotic fun with political overtones and tasty weirdness. Irrational, you've made me smile. Here's hoping you can deliver.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
I LIKED Bioshock. That being said, I never played it for over 3 or 4 hours. For some reason it was just one of those games I'd play once or twice, and just never have a reason to go back to. It was pretty, it was creepy, it was fun, but it couldn't hold my attention. With that I'd like to say, this does not look like a Bioshock game, it makes me think of God of War and it's many many clones, with Infinite being a clone, something similar to Bioshock, but missing it by a bit. The atmosphere seems really different to me. With the first game, I couldn't help but be tense in that underwater deathtrap, but with this, I'd feel like this was more of a "Lets take a stroll through the park, happily skipping along, offing the occasional person for getting in my way." Of course I could very easily be proven wrong, but with wide open spaces theres no claustrophobia, no real feel of being trapped and if I was in Cambodia or whatever, I'd sew a few sheets together, make parachutes for me and Ms. Cleavage and go base jumping. I'm probably the only person aside from the obvious troll who is just unimpressed with this, if I get a comp that can run it, I'll still try it and still hope and pray to be proven wrong.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
The first Bioshock was in a ruined underwater "utopia" where people had been OD-ing on shots that gave you superpowers, there were giant stomping killer robots that protected little girls that had a bunch of super cool shit in them. If thats the "real" world, I'm obviously fucking crazy because I live somewhere REALLY different.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
I fear my dreams of an Arcanum 2 may become a reality if this style catches on.

JamesStone said:
I like it, but I really want that Bioshock Infinite is a prequel. Imagine the shock if the game end cutscene is Andrew Ryan saying:" I´m starting to lose faith in mankind", then, we holds that little diver´s suit that appears in the aquarium of the game´s trailer, and say:"maybe..."
And now I fear I just puked a bit in my throat. Please, nothing that blatant.

Chris^^ said:
what the fuck was that?
Ain't gonna miss you.
Oh, excuse me:
"aint gonna miss u"
I love people complaining about a lack of context as they actively try to glean as little as possible from what they're looking at.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I hate to be negative, but I'm really skeptical about this game. I think it's going to be really hard to justify building a city in the sky, so the plot will be garbage. Without a feeling of being trapped, or seeing a city decay around you, the atmosphere won't be the same (which was what made Bioshock 1 great). How are we supposed to be scared when a game is assaulting us with bloom. Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass.