Trailers: Dishonored Debut Official Trailer

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Been keeping track of this game via their website since I got my copy of Skyrim, which had an ad for this game in the case.

No game comparisons, no expectations, I wanna see gameplay footage and maybe get a demo. I'll be watching for the release.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT.

I'm way too excited about something I had LITERALLY no interest in 3 minutes ago.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Don't get excited, don't get excited, don't gET EXCITED!!! I DON'T CARE, IT LOOKS LIKE BIOSHOCK HAD JACK THE RIPPERS LOVE BABY!!!

I saw the commercial earlier and was like, the hell is this?... looks... awesome!

Rai^3

Jul 25, 2009
I came.

I saw.

I came.

Looks brilliant, and I like the aesthetic. Bit bothered that all the characters have American accents in a Victorian-England-modeled city, but I'll take it over poorly-imitated English accents.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
After that bit in the cell I was pretty intrigued, but afterwards there was no part of this I liked even slightly. The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

The tagline at the end "Revenge solves everything" is something you would expect to see on a trailer for a Rambo movie from like 20 years ago. It, taken together with the rest of the presented trailer smacks of "we had an idea for a steampunk assassin, but we are gonna do our best to make sure that one interesting idea doesn't get in the way of all our other mediocre ones!"

Its like someone took characters from TF2, put them in uniforms vaguely reminiscent of some V for Vendetta style British dystopian regime, and then decided to have another go at mirror's edge's nausea simulator.

The exoskeleton's they use are impressive looking, but amount to pretty much stilts as the guy using them just walks over and whips out a crossbow to shoot pedestrians because "thats what the bad guys do, and we are showing you that they are the bad guys yo!"

I'm surprised Corvan or whoever didn't bust down the door to find a TF2 engineer repairing a Big Daddy while the guy he came to kill was tossing puppies into the fireplace.

Also if you had some kind of time slowing device and had super free running skills and magic etc. you'd think that when you jump out of a high window that you might, ya know, do something to break your fall other than use your face like he seemed to.

Personally I hope that someday they make a new Tenchu game that looks as good as the first minute or so of this trailer. Guess I'll have to settle for increasingly unsatisfying Assassin's Creed games that after AC2 have been little more than expensive DLC expansions.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

Its like someone took characters from TF2, put them in uniforms vaguely reminiscent of some V for Vendetta style British dystopian regime, and then decided to have another go at mirror's edge's nausea simulator.
You'll probably be told this a dozen times before you edit your comments, but the art director of this game used to work at Valve for many of their games.

So what you seem to be saying is artist has similar themes across their work, which is to be expected.

(V for Vendetta didn't invent the idea of a British Dystopian Regime, Britain ITSELF invented that, both are drawing from a common real-world historical source, each both with their distinct embellishments. This is not plagiarism from other work, this is both referencing history and culture.)

Arkane studios also worked on the Bioshock series, so your allegations of Valve/Bioshock derivation paint it as if plagiarism, rather than artists rightly repeating their themes.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Dishonored without the U.

The only thing that rustles my jimmies is that this is explicitly set in a British country under British English dialect yet they spell Dishonored under the American dialect of removing the superfulous "U".

I don't have a problem with American dialect. If I ever refer to that port that the Imperial Japanese bombed on Dec 7th 1941, I spell it "Pearl Harbor". Without the U as it is an American place name so should have an American spelling.

I know this is an american game be it is trying to be British. And not doing a good job of it. They are missing the charm ofsuperfulous U's, by god, soldiers gave their lives to make sure people spelled words with extra U's and other soldiers died so that they didn't have to be used.

I don't know the plot, maybe you are a Steampunk version of Merriam Webster, out to assassinate the editors of the Oxford Dictionary, but somehow I doubt that. Though it would be hilarious.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
I love how you complain that the protagonist didn't just storm the castle - A] it would make for boring trailer B] just look into it ffs, they are just showing you what will be possible in the game.

So obviously stealth will be a huge deal in the game, if it was fighting oriented we would have gotten another Ezio-goes-bad-shit-crazy montage ("Iron-trailer"). There will be some storytelling (remember the Dead Island trailer - hyped as hell you have had zombies, you've seen some combat but no voice over, rather just mood telling you what's it about, game itself bombed but the trailer told you a lot anyway) and obviously some OP powers but nobody says you will have all of them at all times - maybe you will have the invest in some kind of skill tree or there is long CD on them or your mana (place in any other substitute you like) regens slow and you use it fast.

What I'm saying is that the stealth part takes more time then the fighting - stop going all crazy about the overuse of fighting when we just don't know what will hit us, yet. >_<

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Xiado said:
Hmm, so Bioshock meets Assassin's Creed? Interesting enough, love the detail in the world at least
That's just what I was thinking. If it's first person then I hope that they have some way of making platforming possible. First person platforming and I do not get along well.

Also, I feel so sad for the main character. The trailer stole his witty one liner.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Looks intriguing but Bethesda doesn't have the best of track records for games outside of The Elder Scrolls series, and their stealth ain't all that great IN TES, either.

Still, I'm reserving judgement. A suitably grim steampunk with sorcery to boot is my kind of setting.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Treblaine said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The art style, the character design, the concept were all boring and more than a little derivative of several other well established games.

You'll probably be told this a dozen times before you edit your comments, but the art director of this game used to work at Valve for many of their games.

So what you seem to be saying is artist has similar themes across their work, which is to be expected.

(V for Vendetta didn't invent the idea of a British Dystopian Regime, Britain ITSELF invented that, both are drawing from a common real-world historical source, each both with their distinct embellishments. This is not plagiarism from other work, this is both referencing history and culture.)

Arkane studios also worked on the Bioshock series, so your allegations of Valve/Bioshock derivation paint it as if plagiarism, rather than artists rightly repeating their themes.
Why would I edit my comments? Was I supposed to come in to the trailer already knowing who the art director was? Truly my ignorance has shamed me.

I also wasn't claiming that V4V invented the idea of British totalitarian regimes. I didn't like V either so I wasn't exactly championing its brilliant imaginative prowess. I never even finished the demo for bioshock or as I hated what I was playing. Mirror's Edge demo I did finish but the theme song was al I liked about it. So perhaps the reason I didn't like the trailer was that it was basically an amalgam of things I don't care for.

I was just exercising my opinion on a board designed for such things. But I guess I should go edit my post before a thousand people all rush to tell me who the art director was on a game I literally just heard of. If anything I'd say its to his or her credit that their style is so readily identifiable.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Trailer's fantastic as fuck, but I'm worried 70% of the budget went into making it.

Hope the gameplay is as good, I really wanna like it.