Trailers: Dishonored Debut Official Trailer

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
I still love my Thief series, but this looks good. If it can be done in first person sneaker mode I may of found something to scratch that itch.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
wolf thing said:
apart from it not begin steampuck because every thing in it is clearly electrically powered
I'm pretty sure you're being too specific. Steampunk is basically just science fiction fantasy whatever set in victorian era through industrial revolution era. As opposed to medieval fantasy or space science fiction.

Noxman said:
Nevertheless steampunk is a genre I just don't 'get'. Thief did it reasonably well by mixing in magic and hiding technology behind religious nuts but still, the whole setting seems to belie logical development. They are still relying on railways and yet have electronic walking exo-suits and magic/high-tech bows and arrows; also electronic discharges that can vapourise a person crossing the threshold.
Thats the thing though... It's A. All about the setting and B. All about the fun!! Same way you can have people slinging around fireballs in medieval castles and dragons and shit, you can also get fancy electrical zappers with railroads. It's just a different time setting with everything associated with it for writers and other creator's to let their imagination play with.

About the trailer: Damn. I'm actually disappointing. When I read the title I was hoping for a Dresden Files meets Steampunk but no. No such luck. Damn it.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
The trailer was prety bleh, but the premise alone is what has me so excited.

Deus Ex designers?
Half-Life 2 composer?
Dark Messiah developer?
Steampunk Bioshock?!

Yes please. If you won't mind, gentlemen, I have to change my pants.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
So... I see no gameplay in the trailer, plus the game is giving us the thought that it has mirror's edge first-person parkour.
Yeah... Not too many good marks against this game right now.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Ok I already know enough about this game to know that I don't care about all these 'So it's x meets y with magic, in z', I already know that if this game can deliver a tenth of what it promises it will be a fantastic. What I'm trying to figure out is, who the hell is that doing the voice for The Outsider (name of the guy who gives Corvo his mark)? It's so insanely familiar that it is driving me nuts.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Smiley Face said:
This looks very, VERY promising. I'm trying to think of how they might make this game seem better, but I can't. Hopefully gameplay and story will stand up as we hear more.

Any estimates on when this might be releasing?
the website says available for preorder now, for a 2012 release. so, not a stupidly long wait time. i'd estimate october/november, but it's still early days.

OT: this looks awesome. i know its only a cinematic trailer, but from looking around, it is made by some of the people involved with thief and deus ex, so looks to be promising. i loved bioshock, and it seems to have influences there aswell, and fucking loved DE:HR's stealth elements, so definitely one to keep my eye on

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
tmande2nd said:
First person parkour is not going to end well.

"This seems a manageable leap!"
-falls 50 stories-
CURSE YOU DEPTH PERCEPTION CCCUUUUUUUURRSSSEEEEE YOU!
Yes for 1st person POV
Currently we have plenty 3rd person POV parkour games, but not much 1st person ones.
How many at this point are there? Mirror's edge and Brink- not much.
So yeah 1st person all the way.
I played both Mirror's Edge and Brink without any depth perception issues

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Eh, looks too much like Assassins Creed for me to be too excited about it yet, but I'll follow along and see if they drop us any more interesting and less derivative hooks later.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
wolf thing said:
apart from it not begin steampuck because every thing in it is clearly electrically powered it looks pretty cool, hope the gameplay matches what was shown
Actually technically everything is whale oil powered but it looks like the oil's converted to electrical energy anyway.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Please dear god don't let this be first person parkor. I like the idea of Assassin's Creed by way of Fable 3 with Bioshock tech.

"Killing me won't solve anything"
*shrug* "It'll give us something to put in the trailer"
"But I'm not even remotely connected to the plot!"
*slits throat* "Dam strait!"
Team Hollywood said:
Looks like Garrett has some competition for best sneaky steampunk character.
Don't let Yahtzee hear you say that!
It's hard to lose against someone who hasn't seen the outside for, what about 10 years now?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
ManupBatman said:
Absolutionis said:
Blargh. I came here for a decent game that seemed similar to Thief. I love Garret as a character. Garret IS stealth and his marginally techy/magical tools are there to purely enhance his stealth.

This "Dishonored" guy is running around shooting, swording, and magicing everything. It's a 'stealth' game the same way Uncharted is a 'stealth' game. It's there, but not the main focus.

It looks like it has "steampunk" for the sake of being "steampunk". Nothing makes sense, and nothing really matters.

The Thief franchise had it right all along. Waiting for Thief 4.
It seems Steampunk/Fictional Victorian is pretty important to the setting. May not the Steampunk Classic, but people complain about that anyway.

I'm with you on the Stealth bit. Action Stealth hybrids bother me so much, if that dude has so much power he probably could of just knocked on the front door and went on from there (a la Assassin's Creed). But who knows, it may play more Stealthy.
Agree with both you guys. For me, a good stealth game either lets me finish the mission with the bad guys never knowing I was there, or at least able to pick them off quietly one by one without ever catching a glimpse of me. If they go the Deus Ex: Human Revolution route and give you the option to go the stealth route or violence (shitty boss fights aside), that would be great too. But I don't see the point of sneaking past 20 guards to get to your target if you could take them all out in a stand-up fight anyway.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, it's an Arkane title?

I'll cautiously follow this, then. The studio's last offerings weren't exactly stellar...