Trailers: Duke Nukem Forever: Babes

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Dastardly said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
I think a caricature is pretty damn close to being satire. Do you really think people who tell dead baby jokes actually hate or want to eat babies? I'm pretty sure most of them just tell the jokes for shock value, and I think it's the same thing for Duke Nukem.
Shock value =/= satire, either. Satire is something completely different, and people should avoid using words they don't understand the meaning of.
Lol. I never said shock value was the same thing as satire. Satire is when you make fun of something by imitating it in a comical or over-the-top manner. The shock value emerges from the over-the-top nature of Duke Nukem's satire. The game also has steroid use because that fits into the ultra masculine archetype that the game is lampooning.

You seem to think that in order for something to be satire, it must explicitly state that what it is imitating is bad. That just isn't the case. I can't think of a single example of satire that does that. By making Duke so over-the-top they are implying satire. I have a hard time believing that a game with so many comedic overtones is taking itself seriously. Tell me, what could they add to the game without taking anything out that would make it satire in your opinion? How could they make it more explicit than it already is? Does Duke actually have to break the fourth wall and say that it's satire?

Dastardly said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
This game isn't going to destroy western society. I doubt it will affect very many young girls at all because there aren't going to be that many young girls playing it.
Of course not. It's a symptom, not a cause. But it's not the little girls we're worried about. It's the little boys (or the GROWN "little boys") that are basking in the glory of this objectified vision of women, and how it impacts their outlook and expectations of those girls.
The 'cause' is people not having critical thinking skills. If a young boy cannot realize that Duke Nukem is wholly unrealistic and shouldn't be imitated it's because he lacks the mental capacity to make this realization. Either he is too young and his parents shouldn't let him play the game, or he's just stupid.

Dastardly said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
It could be the case that Randy Pitchford really does think all women should be sluts, and is secretly trying to undermine all women in American society with this game, but I frankly find that scenario rather unlikely. You're basically saying it's a sin to find humor in anything even mildly offensive because it means that you wholeheartedly embrace the value system of the joke. That's a load of bull in my opinion. In fact, I think that if everyone had more of a sense of humor there would be much less conflict in the world. It's the people that take everything deadly seriously that you have to watch out for.
1. Who has said anything about this ending Western society? I'm just saying games like this are more destructive than they are productive, and they're nothing to be proud of in the least. That's not the same as what you're saying I'm saying.
Of course it's more destructive than productive, the vast majority of video games are. They're generally mindless entertainment, with few exceptions. But once again, if you think it's destructive because of the negative stereotypes, then I have to tell you, there's about 100,000 things you should be more concerned about. A video game that clearly doesn't take itself seriously won't be taken seriously by anyone else who has a brain. There are far worse things like the anorexic models you see all over the place. Those women are seriously held up as the paragons of beauty. They're much more destructive to young girls than some pixelated women in a campy video game.

Dastardly said:
2. Sure, I can laugh at jokes that make fun of myself--in company I enjoy and trust. And, hell, I can laugh at jokes about, say, black people. It's easy for me, because I'm not a black person. But that's the ticket, isn't it? It's easy to tell someone to "have a sense of humor" when you're making fun of them. It's also kind of dickish, truth told.
Meh. Sure it's dickish. If they aren't comfortable with you then you shouldn't make those jokes around them. However, it would be much better for them if they were able to deflect your joke right back at you with a racist joke of their own. And it would be even better if you laughed at it. Nothing solves tension like a little humor. The most important thing is to have a sense of humor about yourself. No one likes somebody who can dish it out but can't take it.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Why was this an M-rated teaser again? Was there anything (except the intentional sexism) that could be considered mature?

btw:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Well put, sah.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Alrocsmash said:
Irriduccibilli said:
Alrocsmash said:
Most worthless trailer ever.
Wait wut? Worthless, no way :p
I am not 13 years old.
Hmmm, I sense a flame war igniting soon if you keep up with that attitude
Everyone knows sex sells, so I hardly see why this trailer is worthless. Believe or not, someone is going to buy the game because of the babes in this game

Dec 27, 2010
God this is stupid. Please could people stop acting like this is awesome, it really isnt, I dont care if it's cynical or not, it's still there to titillate however you dress it up. Any defense Gearbox had against any retard shouting "sexist!" at them has been destroyed by this trailer.

Dec 27, 2010
ReiverCorrupter said:
Dastardly said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
I think a caricature is pretty damn close to being satire. Do you really think people who tell dead baby jokes actually hate or want to eat babies? I'm pretty sure most of them just tell the jokes for shock value, and I think it's the same thing for Duke Nukem.
Shock value =/= satire, either. Satire is something completely different, and people should avoid using words they don't understand the meaning of.
Lol. I never said shock value was the same thing as satire. Satire is when you make fun of something by imitating it in a comical or over-the-top manner. The shock value emerges from the over-the-top nature of Duke Nukem's satire. The game also has steroid use because that fits into the ultra masculine archetype that the game is lampooning.
Why did you bring up shock value in the first place then? Two words: straw man.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Dastardly seems to have it down.

Is anyone else getting tired of the silly flame shield that this game seems to have?

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Dastardly said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Why did you bring up shock value in the first place then? Two words: straw man.
Um... a straw man argument is when you argue to defeat a undeveloped caricature of your opponent's argument. If you look at the original post, I brought up shock value to show how someone is capable of making a joke without believing in it's content. Like dead-baby jokes for instance. Those people don't actually want to kill babies (well, most of them), the joke is just funny because of its shock value. Dastardly was arguing that you have to believe at least somewhat in what your joking about if you joke about it, and that was the point I was disputing. It was a sub argument that bolstered my larger argument that Duke Nukem is satirical. So my argument was neither a straw man argument or a non-sequitur. If you're going to accuse someone of bringing up something irrelevant, you should probably go back to see the original post that they were responding to.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Gabanuka said:
Dastardly said:
Team Hollywood said:
Duke Nukem Forever: Babes

Duke hasn't lost his touch with the ladies.

Watch Video
Further proof that we don't know what's good for us... and what's not. People will buy this game specifically for the boobs-oriented male fan-service. And that's exactly what will be setting the industry back, pushing more ratings issues forward, and increasing the likelihood of regulation that could bleed the life out of game development.
Since the whole game is satirical in nature I don't think its gonna be pushing the industry back, granted it will generate controversy but the developers know and want that, its pretty much what the game is for.
I direct the entire argument towards Monty Python and the Holy Grail, this game will go down in history as a classic.

riprino

Jan 5, 2011
That trailer has just handed politicians a fucking bazooka to use against us.
on a different note who is duke nukem.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Most of those tits were definitely fake. Except for the cat-girl's. Hers were small enough to likely be real.

Duke deserves for the babes he's surrounded by to have real tits. He's Duke Nukem, not Hue Hefner.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
lol

I am majorly looking forward to this game, it better not suck (my balls of steel)

Dastardly said:
I just think it's a clear example of what's wrong with this industry. Manchildren making fan-service games, claiming that they're "satire," when there's clearly not even the slightest hint of an inkling of the beginning of the smallest bit of understanding as to even the most vague definition of "satire."
Would you be happier if they just replaced the word satire with parody? Not that it really makes a huge difference because parody is a type of satire.

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1016378-Satire-vs-Parody

The reason why his treatment of women and the way they act in the game is funny is because they are unrealistic. This isn't a sign that we are stuck in the past, it shows that we have moved to a point where it is totally laughable for anyone to behave like that. If it happened in reality I would indeed be appalled but it's because it's so outlandish we find it funny.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Right, all this sexism rage over the women in DNF is all good and great, but what about the sexism against men? Duke is a chauvinistic, sexist muscle head, and the only male in the game, maybe I don't want my gender portrayed in such a way?

Or maybe I'm not a moron and can see that this game is just one big joke, meant solely to garner laughs for its simple ridiculous nature. Hell yes I'm going to buy it, just cause I know it's going to be hilarious.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Im curious if you are so offended by it and think its so stupid why watch? no one is forcing you to in fact why comment, unless by commenting you wish to attract attention to said game I mean if you dont like it just ignore it best way to get your point across. Useless proselytizing will just attract attention and yes it may turn a few people away who might have bought it, however it will also attract those who would not normally look at something like this so in the end what have you accomplished?

also final thoughts

DNF by gearbox for 4chan...